Who here has pet rodents?

in Chit-Chat

Female
203 posts

dormammu • 20 March 2018 at 2:06 PM

Hi there! I was spending time with my mischief and wondered who here on EggCave might have a mischief of their own!

I have 4 pet rats, all female 😊

https://i.imgur.com/mKWBuhg.jpg -- GiGi
https://i.imgur.com/pYniJ1P.jpg -- Tigger
https://i.imgur.com/pSiIOdV.jpg -- Athena
https://i.imgur.com/6P9ERv2.jpg -- Aelin

Tigger, Athena, and Aelin are currently on meds for illnesses that they came to me with.

I'm not sure if there's a group just for rodents here on EggCave, but I'd be super interested in making one, if anyone wants to take on the task with me 😊

Feel free to share pics of your mischief!

14 posts

copperchange • 24 March 2018 at 11:48 AM

I don't, but I did and I plan to again, I just can't in the apartment I am in right now. Ratties make fantastic pets!

Female
14 posts

new • 25 March 2018 at 12:18 AM

@dormammu I have a white albino baby rat name Boo.

Female
203 posts

dormammu • 27 March 2018 at 10:04 PM

@shubble 😱 Pics? The albino babs are so beautiful!

135 posts

laurelprince • 28 March 2018 at 1:32 PM

@dormammu

I don't but I have friends who do.

Female
71 posts

connieharris • 28 March 2018 at 3:35 PM

We have a male black and white spotted named pippin :-)

Female
203 posts

dormammu • 2 April 2018 at 10:20 PM

@copperchange They've been the most well-behaved girls! Even with all the meds I have to give them xD I'm just having the hardest time :< I actually recently "adopted" Tigger, Athena, and Aelin from a woman who claimed they (and 3 other boys) were dumped on her doorstep. They were in terrible condition and had Mycoplasma as well as giardia .____. So they haven't gotten to socialize with GiGi yet. It's been a hectic couple of weeks taking care of them!

@connieharris He's probably the best boy >.> He's the best boy, isn't he?

Female
71 posts

connieharris • 3 April 2018 at 7:05 AM

@dormammufemale ,. yes he is!!! Very calm and loving :-)

14 posts

copperchange • 3 April 2018 at 9:31 AM

@dormammu Mine always recovered better from illness with extra protein. I used to get the Gerber grow up formula baby food and they loved it.

Female
4,593 posts

mastergemma • 18 April 2018 at 9:54 AM

@dormammu @copperchange @new @laurelprince @connieharris

For someone who wants to have a rat or mouse as a pet, what are some tips that you can give me? What are the does and don'ts that aren't obvious for a first time rodent owner?

14 posts

copperchange • 19 April 2018 at 12:02 AM

@mastergemma Depends on the rodent and what kind of pet you want. Each type of rodent has vastly different needs even between a mouse and a rat, and which rodent you pick will depend a great deal on what type of pet owner you are. Do you want an animal to watch or one to interact with? Do you want an animal that is active at night or during the day? Will children be involved (if so I recommend rattys just about every time)? Do you prefer a single pet or a pair or group of animals? The nice thing about rodents, no matter what your answers to those questions, there is most likely a rodent who will fit your situation. Tell me which rodent you pick and I will be able to give you tips, I've owned most at one time or another. No Chinchillas yet though.

Female
585 posts

duckduck • 1 May 2018 at 7:25 AM

@dormammu

They’re all so cute! ❤️ I’ve always wanted a rat, but I recently started college, and the dorms have a pretty strict pet policy. All I have with me right now are my gecko and my fish lol. I work at a zoo, though, so I get to handle a bunch of their smaller animals. They’re arent too many rodents (its mostly reptiles and amphibians), but we have chinchillas, Guinea pigs, and squirrels. We’ve also got hedgehogs, which are pretty similar to rodents. I love them a lot though, and I intend to get either a rat or a snake once I’m in my own apartment. I’m not sure which one yet.

106 posts

karma333 • 14 May 2018 at 10:26 PM

@dormammu

i have two male mice one white and one black. so i named them Yin and yANG ^^ SOOO ORIGINAL I KNOW xD

Female
1,575 posts

sorrow • 12 June 2018 at 7:46 PM

My brother used to have rats! We loved them so much. My younger brother would like to get one, too. My mom's been thinking about it, but i hope she says yes soon because I absolutely love rats ❤️ It would take way too long to find picture of them, as this was like 6 years ago, but Mayflower, the first one we had was all-white with red eyes and Buddy, the second rat, was black and white. I just called him Cow because he never really got a real name. My little brother called him Buddy so that was just accepted as the name.

79 posts

emi804 • 14 July 2018 at 3:43 AM

WAIT A SECOND IS THAT A REX I SPY?
They're all cute and huggable. 😸
I used to own rats, two males, but they both died. ☹️
RIP Blizzard and Coco.

Female
116 posts

heartoffrost • 14 July 2018 at 5:22 AM

@dormammu

I had two female Hooded Wistar's, such sweethearts. However, both have now passed away. I did want to find some new furry friends, but since their gorgeous little lives are way too short, i didn't think i could put my heart through it again. R.I.P Candy and Missy

106 posts

karma333 • 19 July 2018 at 3:44 PM

@dormammu

I did get another mouse today^^ his name is Marshmellow