Naming creatures

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Deleted • 18 November 2018 at 7:07 AM

I find it pretty annoying that if someone else already gave a name to a creature i can't give my creature that name too. I mean, there are also hundreds of people on the world with the same name and no one sais that that is not allowed.

Female
133 posts

vos • 18 November 2018 at 12:25 PM

This is not the only site where duplicate pet names aren't allowed. Just add a number or dash or underscore if you want a particular name.

Male
326 posts

seraph • 18 November 2018 at 1:22 PM

I find it annoying too, and I don't understand why we can't have duplicated names since the creatures are ID-based.

7 posts

goldenheart13 • 23 December 2018 at 2:55 PM

I agree we should be allowed to re-use names. I was just trying to re-name a creature and I can't give him the name I want to. It's one of very few I dislike about this site. I hope they change it soon.

Female
4,575 posts

wigglytuff • 23 December 2018 at 3:51 PM

I find it annoying also, but it would be pointless to change that rule after egg cave has been here for around 9-10 years because people pay a lot for names. It makes the game a little more challenging, though 😉

7 posts

goldenheart13 • 23 December 2018 at 5:00 PM

If enough want a rule change then they may change it.

Female
2,153 posts

prairie • 23 December 2018 at 5:09 PM

While I see your point, I rather like the idea of having no duplicate names. 😱
It makes the creature more unique. Sure, creatures are unique in ID, but I'd not really special as IDs don't really matter to anyone as far as trading goes.

I like that there is only one 'PrairieDog' on site, one 'wolf'/'tiger'/'cat' on site, or one species named creature. (personally)

I used to have a problem with this when I first joined in 2013, but now, I'm really fond that there can only be one name, and therefore makes a creature special/stand out.

Non-binary
1,318 posts

raccoon • 23 December 2018 at 6:00 PM

@goldenheart13

I see where you're coming from, but honestly, names are kind of the big thing that keeps me here. I love the creatures, the community, and all that but my hoard of names is something I'm extremely proud of.

Chickensmoothie doesn't have unique names, and I very quickly lost interest over there. Neopets has unique names, but you're severely limited to 25 pets and a majority of the nice names are taken by people on inactive accounts and are over 9 years old.

Not to mention I've spent a lot of cavecash for some of my names. I can relate to people who have old and rare pets in this regard and are against re-releases, but the difference is that re-releasing some creatures with the VEND machine still allows the creatures to hold a lot of their value. If names weren't unique, all the money I spent on my names, Viktor, Clownfish, Iran, and Yay, (just a handful of examples out of over 300 names I've searched, traded, bought, and worked for) would immediately be worthless because there could be 100 pets named the exact same.

If you aren't hung up on having creatures with real words/names as names, there are TONS of unique and beautiful sounding names you can create. I even have some made up names myself. Nymbra, Mylar, Firr, Coontail, are some examples. You could even incorporate the original name you thought of into it. 'Wolf' into Wolfan for example.

If you have your heart absolutely SET on having a creature with the name 'Dog' or 'Sunshine'... good luck. The name trading scene is extremely picky, and its frustrating to know you will likely never own the name/s your heart is set on. Believe me, I know. Take a glimpse at my name wishlist. I'd have to pry some of those names away from people's cold dead hands.

Bottom line, I've spent over $200 on cavecash. A lot of that went toward CSPs but a big chunk of it also went toward buying my names. I would be devastated enough to probably quit if names were no longer unique.

One thing that might work but I highly doubt will ever be implemented is a 'purge' like they have on neopets sometimes where they go through and delete old and inactive accounts. Though I can't see Eggcave ever doing this as the creatures are immortal and a lot of old accounts are memorials to people who have passed away. Though I do think purging accounts that are inactive and have no creatures at all would be nice.

7 posts

goldenheart13 • 23 December 2018 at 6:14 PM

I get that, I use names from different languages. I also didn't know you could buy names. how does that work?