Please help me

in Chit-Chat

What is your favorite Genres? (Multiple answers allowed.)

Female
9 posts

kiwilover • 24 November 2019 at 7:45 PM

Lately I have been doing some research about what kinds of books people like. I was wondering if you could help me. Please if you can, answer some questions. Thank you!

1. You go to a library. What kind of books will you check out?
2. You have three books in front of you. The first one is a fantasy book about fantasy creatures like Unicorns Dragons, and a hero that is trying to find something special to save the world. The second is a Drama about an ordinary boy who lives in an extraordinary world, and he is trying to fit it. The third is a Biography about an important person in history. You only have $11.00 in your pocket and each book it $10.00. Which would you get, or would you get none. Why?
3. What is your favorite series?
4. Which book would you choose: A Horror Book, A documentary book, Mystery, or would you not choose one?
5. What books do you have that you just can't put down?

If you can answer these, Thank you so much for your input! I really appreciate it! If not, I understand.

Gender Nonconforming
1,249 posts

frankenstein • 24 November 2019 at 8:36 PM

@kiwilover

I'm assuming Thriller encompasses Horror?

I tend to pick thrillers. Something frightening, something exciting. I'm also an avid reader of graphic novels, and have been since I was a little kid c:

2. You have three books in front of you. The first one is a fantasy book about fantasy creatures like Unicorns Dragons, and a hero that is trying to find something special to save the world. The second is a Drama about an ordinary boy who lives in an extraordinary world, and he is trying to fit it. The third is a Biography about an important person in history. You only have $11.00 in your pocket and each book it $10.00. Which would you get, or would you get none. Why?
I'm thinking I would purchase the book about the ordinary boy. It sounds more enticing. I've read far too many fantasy stories that all appeared to have a cookie-cutter layout. Very samey, you know? But the ordinary boy in an extraordinary world could be set literally anywhere, And he'll have to work hard if he wants to succeed.

That's a very difficult question. I grew up with Harry Potter books and they will always have a space in my heart. I'm also a huge fan of a series of Resident Evil novels by the writer S. D. Perry. Quite good. I'm a fan of some adult series as well, but I can't say which, lol!

4. Which book would you choose: A Horror Book, A documentary book, Mystery, or would you not choose one?
Horror, all the way. Nothing gets me more excited than being on the edge fo my seat.

This is a departure from my earlier answers, but there's a popular science author named Mary Roach that my friend introduced me to years ago. She takes very valid, very serious subjects (like death, and space travel, and the functions fo the human body) and presents her research in very informative and VERY humorous ways. I 100% recommend her, but not for the squeamish.

Non-binary
1,318 posts

raccoon • 24 November 2019 at 8:55 PM

@kiwilover

It's been a good while since I've been to the library, I think the last things I checked out were manga? I used to get YA novels religiously, but I've picked up a ton of books from thrift stores. My genres are usually murder mystery, romance, horror, adventure, or fantasy.

If I were going to pick a book, just from the information given, I'd be leaning toward the 2nd one. I'd definitely need more information about each one. The first sounds a bit generic, but that doesn't mean it isn't good. The second sounds intriguing, but vague. The third honestly depends on the historic person. Is it a president? Artist? General? Activist?

Though unless it was a series/book I was actively searching for, I'd probably not buy any. $10 can go far at a thrift shop. 😊

Don't judge... Harry Potter. It's been a series that stuck with me, no matter how old I get or what other things I read. It's honestly the most enjoyable series I think I've ever read.

Again, the subject matters. I'd be open to reading any of those, but I'd definitely make my choice based on what the books are about, not entirely the genre.

It makes me a bit sad to say, but I haven't been reading much lately. I do have a few that I'm slowly working my way through. A book on the zodiac killer and a murder mystery book by a local author.

Hope this helps ❤️

Male
1,736 posts

jello • 24 November 2019 at 10:19 PM

Some dystopians and a science book that caught my eye.

I'd have to take the biography. Although the drama sounds intriguing, it doesn't sound like it would be a good read after the setting gets established. I'm not really into fantasy that much.

The Giver series by Lois Lowry

Definitely the mystery. I love good brain puzzlers.

I remember reading nearly half of 1984 in one sitting. That, and a few Harry Potters. do sudoku books couunt? I have one but its like a 3d warped cube of sudoku. 150 puzzles. its fun.

1,478 posts

arcana • 24 November 2019 at 11:44 PM

I'm mostly a fantasy person, but I will take my time looking and reading bits and pieces to evaluate interest. Books with visuals have been appealing to me more lately, although I'm not quite sure why. I'm mostly getting books to reread since I don't have a lot of time to spend in the library. I often just find YA trash in the teen aisles. I'm making forays into the adult section, but classics are still a bit too dry to attract me.
If these were the sole information I had from the blurbs, I wouldn't get any. Buying a book is a big commitment for me, since I essentially am promising to myself that I will read this book multiple times. My standard for buying a book(This does not apply to book giveaways with a limited selection or gifts) is that it has to be interesting enough to be read several times year. Otherwise I feel I am wasting my money. I would remember the titles and go check them out from the library. Only the first two though, unless the biography is written in a super interesting way.
Favorite series is tough, but I would have to probably say the Alanna/Daine/Aly/Numair/Beka series or the Emelan series from Tamora Pierce. (Don't make me choose anything. It will probably take a month. She has 30-40 books and I would have to read them all to choose.)
Mystery and horror are mostly kinda iffy for me. I haven't found a long mystery that I can stand reading without skipping to the end. I know it ruins it, but I'm impatient. After that, I usually can't stand reading through the part I skipped. Horror is usually to scary for me, but Edgar Allen Poe's stories are nice. I also like watching summarized versions by a Youtube channel called OSP(overly sarcastic productions). I don't seek it out often. Documentaries/factual books have to be documentaries(In video format. I love those) otherwise I lose interest really quick. I haven't even tried reading nonfiction for pleasure in a very, very long time. I may try it one day, but fables and fairy tales are probably the only thing I can stomach happily. (History just makes me rage)
Anything by Tamora Pierce or maybe Marissa Meyer. Tamora ranks first as the best author I have ever had the pleasure of reading from. There are definitely people and books I'm forgetting, but Tamora Pierce is my absolute favorite author. I can read any of her books constantly. As in after I finish, I can reread. That is an honor for her books from my easily bored mind. Marissa Meyer writes great books, but whenever I go to the library, I make a beeline to Tamora Pierce. Tamora Pierce's side stories are actually probably my favorites.

Female
1,729 posts

lexicon • 25 November 2019 at 12:31 AM

@kiwilover

I usually check out manga at libraries because I don't have a lot of those at home and it's too expensive to buy the many volumes usually found within a series lol. That being said, I do own a lot of books...around 1,500 last I counted (most from books sales and Christmas presents!). My personal library has a little bit of everything. I've also checked out non-fiction books that I'm interested in but don't necessarily want to buy.

I would be the most interested in the fantasy one given those three choices. It's easy to get lost in and fun to imagine a brand-new world! I also love and appreciate the inventiveness that goes into fantasy novels, even if it includes "overplayed" themes such as heroes and dragons. But I might not buy it because I have too many at home...

Oof, can't pick one! Absolute favorite might be Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Harry Potter is definitely up there but honestly I like the Percy Jackson series better. I also greatly enjoyed and recommend The Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins (it's her earlier work and dare I say better than The Hunger Games).

Horror book! Preferably Stephen King or any of Michael Crichton's horror/thrillers.

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller is my favorite book, it's the retelling of a classic Greek myth. All of the series I've listed above I've re-read at least 5 times each. Also, Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer was absolutely terrifying and incredible!!!! 😊

Female
9 posts

kiwilover • 25 November 2019 at 7:54 AM

OMG! Thank you all so much! You don't know how useful this is to me! This will really bust my research. I think I am almost ready t start the book. Thank you! 😊