The Halloween Fair 2020 Megathread

in General

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 1 October 2020 at 6:58 AM

Discuss everything Halloween Fair related here!

What do you enjoy the most?
What creatures are you most excited about?
What are you asking the Doovoo about?

How much do you love this event

Quick links
Travel of Terror Guide

Female
1,743 posts

minnie298a • 1 October 2020 at 7:47 AM

There is a part of me that is saddened to see the Kinump Patch and Haunted Woods travels retire. They've been around so long, it feels like it just won't be the same. I'd mentally prepared myself for the creature to retire, but the travels were a surprise. I'll get over it, probably by tomorrow, but it still feels a little like the end of an era.

Often there is questions about if the Maize Maze is worth the "huge" amount of seeds. Last year, for reasons I'm still not sure on, I kept a log of my results. It can be found on Snerrisal ( https://eggcave.com/egg/2394680 ). Obviously obvious disclaimer that the maze is random, it's kind of a gamble and results will vary. User discretion is advised.

I've always felt I got enough back to keep returning and turning over those 50 seeds. The occasional travel and I felt great. After tallying up the log I still feel that, for me at least, I got my seeds worth. It may not seem viable for those who are limited on the amount of seeds they can collect, but it took me about 10 minutes to gather then up to go in today. A Stargaze, a turn at TT, and feeding a bunch of creatures.

Which leads to a little bit of advice for those who are attempting this for the first time, Games like the Stargazing and TT have a little bit of a learning curve to them. As the month progresses, they should become easier. Megadash has made a master list of travels to aid with the TT, that can be found in the General board. Once you work out a way to use it that works for you, it will become invaluable.

Female
408 posts

izziedragon • 1 October 2020 at 9:28 AM

@minnie298a psst I got a kinump patch travel from the maze 😉
I'll be trying to get a snop, ocktin, or maybe a knurrock.
Unsure on the trick or treat bags since I'm not sure exactly what they've got. Someone let me know?

Female
559 posts

pwuffy • 1 October 2020 at 9:28 AM

i believe this is my first year participating in the halloween fair as i haven't been around on egg cave for halloween since like 2010 or 2011 or something! lol 😊

there are a couple games i think i won't bother with as i don't really want to gamble my seeds away but the stargazing game is really cute! and i am always happy to have a reason to do a lot of feeding!!!

i think i may go for the luxu because i really like its design! but i probably will hold onto my seeds until october 11 in anticipation of whatever the surprise may be 😱

Female
408 posts

izziedragon • 1 October 2020 at 9:32 AM

@pwuffy Oh yeah!!! Good point there. Forgot about the surprise. I may wait for that as well. I'm hoping it's something retired... fingers crossed. I'm actually not sure I've ever participated either, despite being on for halloween a couple times for eggs.

Female
149 posts

poserpanda • 1 October 2020 at 2:46 PM

I am looking forward to the Snop, Trick, Snerris, and Luxu. I did get a travel ticket from the maze, but I prefer to use my seeds on the Punchline.

I am SUPER psyched to feed tons of creatures on the chance that I will get more seeds.

I have been asking the doll, questions such as, "Would you hug me?"
"Do you have a watch I can borrow?"
Still yes or no based, so it works out.

3,057 posts

jirachiwishmaker • 1 October 2020 at 3:25 PM

Anyone want to listen to some ghost stories while feeding here's my topic for you, enjoy!!!

Ghost Stories
https://eggcave.com/forums/topic/74045?page=1#1625361

Female
1,743 posts

minnie298a • 5 October 2020 at 11:50 PM

@izziedragon
From memory the trick-or-treat bags contain "normal" items. Stuff that is sold in the shops, many of which are used in quests. I think it's a case of the more expensive the bag the more items, or the higher the rarity of the items (but if anyone else knows different, please feel free to correct me). Usually I buy them to use up the last of my seeds at the end of the event.

Actually, I went and looked and had a Balrogipuwet Trick-or-Treat Bag in my strong room, so I opened it. It contained Green Moss Bubble (Skreel Stage 1), Arkian Encyclopedia A-E and Black Silicone Chip Plushie. The bag was R90, the items where R73 to R80.

Not sure how everyone else is going, but I've racked up some ec and worked up an extra 1000ec per day in interest. Almost wish I'd actually paid attention to my starting amount, but definitely know how much my interest has gone up as I was aiming for a milestone before the end of the month.

Female
1,863 posts

magenta • 6 October 2020 at 7:50 AM

does anyone here know how mad science works? 😱 is it completely rng/guessing game or do they alter the images slightly to show it's poisoned? 😱

Transmasculine
449 posts

shrimp • 6 October 2020 at 9:58 AM

@magenta i think it's just entirely randomized!

Non-binary
1,074 posts

distorted • 6 October 2020 at 10:35 AM

Its my first year doing the Halloween event so im really excited. The creatures im currently saving for is the Snop, Trick, and Knurrock.
@poserpanda lol i just ask the doovoo "will i get a cat?"

Transmasculine
449 posts

shrimp • 6 October 2020 at 10:42 AM

I've been here since like?? 2013 and I just never play the "Travels of Terror" game lol
by brain, for the life of me, can't do it

Non-binary
1,074 posts

distorted • 6 October 2020 at 10:45 AM

@foreigners This is helpful: https://eggcave.com/forums/topic/74059!

Transmasculine
449 posts

shrimp • 6 October 2020 at 10:51 AM

@distorted yeah i've seen that! Thank you lol

Gender Nonconforming
1,249 posts

frankenstein • 6 October 2020 at 9:35 PM

I'm a little bummed to see the best looking travels disappear since I didn't get the chance to snag either one. But I am doing pretty well with the TT. I'm less good at Stargazing.

I don't 'ask' Doovoo anything since he sometimes steals, lol. And I'm absolutely dreadful at PP so I avoid that one. I'm trying to earn 1k seeds a day which doesn't always work out, but I have a lofty goal I want to reach this time around.

As far as Events go, I think this one's my favorite. The Gobbler search can get frustrating, and you don't have to click the OK on the popup to make it disappear. And I don't have to depend on people sending choco boxes back, haha.

Female
149 posts

poserpanda • 14 October 2020 at 8:47 PM

If you're skipping a few events, how are you able to get close to 1k a day?

3,057 posts

jirachiwishmaker • 14 October 2020 at 9:35 PM

@poserpanda

The fastest way to get seeds is just keep doing feeds as much time you can put into it, you can make 1k or more a day, but that depends on how much creatures you're willing to feed. The only events I play are the Donations, Mad Science, and Stargazing, also guessing the travels can give lots of seeds if you can get the answer correct.

Female
1,743 posts

minnie298a • 15 October 2020 at 4:14 AM

@poserpanda
If you have the time, it's not hard to get the seeds. I do all the mini games, and with the exception of the TT, I do them as often as I can. TT is more time consuming (as in it takes me 2 to 3 minutes to do), and most of the time I just can't be bothered to sit and scroll through the guide, and flipping through different tabs, mumbling to my self what the capitals are.

I know I got over 4k on the first day, enough to buy my Luxu and another that I traded. I did some math, and working on 15 days I've earned an average of over 2.8K of seeds each day (just over 3k a day if you work on the 14 full days past). I've also lost about 5k through the games, with 750 of those being for the maze (although I have won 568 of those back). That's about 333 seeds a day lost to the games.

Female
149 posts

poserpanda • 15 October 2020 at 8:16 AM

Holy cow! I make at least two to three hundred seeds a day, but then I can't do much of TT or the constellation one, since I am at work. But you've got a very competent hold on this event. Nice job. (Also, I like the way you describe doing the Terror Travel. It's an interesting picture to imagine, especially if you use your profile picture as the being trying to figure out the Travels.)

I can now see how the prizes are actually attainable, and despite adding higher priced, new prizes, nobody necessarily needs a site-wide seed boost. That's one less suggestion thread I was going to make. Thank you.

Non-binary
1,074 posts

distorted • 15 October 2020 at 11:49 AM

@poserpanda Well I get about 500 seeds a day but I've been really busy lately

Female
149 posts

poserpanda • 15 October 2020 at 12:03 PM

Phew, that's still a good amount.

Female
1,743 posts

minnie298a • 16 October 2020 at 10:40 PM

@poserpanda
I've only got a good handle on things because this ain't my first time. TT is something that I avoided for a year or two (I didn't visit the forums at that stage, so didn't know about the guide). It then took some time to get into a rhythm that works for me. Stargazing seems to get easier every year. It's like riding a bike, and comes flooding back each year.

I'm also currently not working, so I have all the time in the world to sit at the computer. For some reason I also find feeding rather calming for my insomnia, so I'm not deliberately setting out to collect heaps, it just happens. I'll also take it very easy for the last week or so, so I don't burn out before the Gobbler event next month (you need to find pictures on each page, so again feeding is a great way to participate).

Female
149 posts

poserpanda • 17 October 2020 at 10:51 AM

Well having no time restraints certainly has its merits. And I'm grateful that you have updated me (and perhaps others who are new,) about how the Gobbler event works. I actually was doing really well at Science Fair and Constellations, but both seem to be slipping from my ability to understand how to win those two events. But you're at least enjoying yourself and able to find ways to make a good situation out of your insomnia and lack of work, so that is probably making quarantine even just a little bit easier on you.

Female
1,743 posts

minnie298a • 17 October 2020 at 8:39 PM

@poserpanda
The gobbler event does run rather different. On any random page there will be a faded picture of a last stage gobbler ( https://eggcave.com/archives/gobbler/show ). Unlike this event, you need to actually click on the picture for it to count. Traditionally, also unlike this event, there is no prize shop, instead those on the leader board being awarded prizes instead (last year it was 500k EC plus 1kCC to the top 100, year before it was 500k ec and 500cc). Personally, I need to adjust how I feed to be effective, but it can be worth it.

The adjustment is partially why I need to give myself a couple of days of light Egg Caving. Technically, I have everything I wanted to gain from here, so I'm really only collecting to sell, as I do enjoy the mini games.

If you have any questions about the other events through the year, don't hesitate to ask. I'll do my best to answer.

Female
149 posts

poserpanda • 17 October 2020 at 9:25 PM

Oooh it is really pretty. Did not expect that for a turkey. I don't think I will be winning anything at that event, since trying to be the top person on a leader board doesn't appeal to me. But at least now I know I can skip it, thanks to you.
Can you sell pumpkin seeds as well, or only the prizes? I sure do appreciate you answering all of my questions. I'll try to stay on topic while we use this thread.

Female
1,743 posts

minnie298a • 18 October 2020 at 5:17 AM

@poserpanda
From posts I've seen in past years, many do skip the event. It is one of the more time intensive events, and is the only one I can think of that isn't a "every one wins" event. https://eggcave.com/gobblers That's the link to the leader boards for the past few years. Last year the last place had an average of just under 15 a day, but in the early years (with only 50 winners), it was more like 50 a day.

As for the seeds, no you can't sell/trade/gift the actual seeds. You need to spend them first and then can do what you want with the prizes. People who state they are selling seeds, are actually doing prize customs, where they are offering to buy and trade anything in the shop the buyer wants.

Female
149 posts

poserpanda • 21 October 2020 at 10:47 PM

@magenta
I have had some luck with choosing food items that a person wouldn't normally want to eat or drink. A bottle of vinaigrette? Not poisoned. A coffee cup filled with radioactive waste? Not poisoned. Sometimes when I win, it is usually because I pick the one food that stands out the most. If there is a lot of ice cream to choose from, but there's an off-color sandwich, then that may be the one that isn't poisoned.

@minnie298a
That's a little sad, but I guess there isn't too much a gobbler event can do, especially if it feels too much like the Halloween event. Unless there's a more post based event, where users can write stories or participate in gobbler themed role-plays. Then each person who writes an interesting post or collection of pieces, can be given slices of pumpkin pie. A second idea could be over-feeding other user's pets. It could work a bit like the Chocobo feeding mini-game in Final Fantasy seven. If you didn't feed it enough, it wouldn't fly far enough to entice the female. Feed it too much, and it falls out of the tree. Feed it enough and it flies spectacularly! The same could be done, just with a Gobbler instead. Or like the Mad Science Fair, but instead of picking which edible item isn't poisoned, the user picks which gobbler is the best to consume. [Not sure if this is off-topic, but the idea of an event where there isn't much player participation gives me ideas to bring more traffic to the site.]

The prize selling does seem a lot better than just giving people seeds. Plus some users might have better luck than others when claiming a prize, so there's intrigue there too. I would just hope that the seeds can be completely used up, as having leftover seeds would be a bit of a bummer.

Female
1,743 posts

minnie298a • 22 October 2020 at 12:57 AM

@poserpanda
I can think of 8 yearly events throughout the year. The Halloween event your going through has mini games to help with collection, and I've covered November's Gobbler event. December has both the Advent Calendar (where you just rock up every day for prizes from ec, to items, to stat boosts to creatures), and the Toy Drive (where you donate toys and receive raffle tickets to win the monthlies from this year). February has the Chocotravaganza Exchange. Like this current event you collect items (choc boxes) from feeding that you then send to other players. You can only spend the boxes you receive in the prize shop. In past years people have been able to buy/sell the boxes, but most just exchange 1:1, returning the same number to those who gifted them (there is a board dedicated to finding trading partners). March you have Dragold's Den, where you visit the Dragold through out the day. He may give you ec, or travels, or boosts when feeding, or creatures, but he can also steal ec on hand. April is the Easter event, where you hunt for tiny eggs that appear on random pages. Find them all and you win a creature and some travels. The last is Ark Victory Day, held in July. During this week you can visit one site to win prizes (or have an item in your inventory turned into coal), but you can also visit the Asteroid more through out the day.

Often though out the year there are Creature Description Writing Contest ( https://eggcave.com/cdwc ). Prize for that is the creature. Main condition is you have 100 "quality" forum posts. Drawers/artists can suggest creatures at anytime.

Female
1,863 posts

magenta • 22 October 2020 at 5:43 AM

@minnie298a late message but thanks for the log on the maze 😊 tried it myself and it really does feel worth it! usually always get my seeds back and today even got a kinump patch travel!
@poserpanda thanks for the tips on mad science! I usually pick the foods I like haha apparently it's all up to chance according to a reply by a mod on another topic on mad science! 😊

Other
1,553 posts

rabbitwanter • 22 October 2020 at 2:02 PM

A technique I found for the mad science part of the fair, choose one food, but then change your guess. For some reason being indecisive has given me a lot of success this year!!

Maybe it's because the first choice is only 1/5 chance of being right, which isn't likely. But then assuming the first guess was wrong, the second choice is 1/4 chance of being correct, which is slightly more .. If that makes sense! 😋

Also I love the Luxu design!!! She's like the older sister to the Bruxa ❤️ Can't wait to get to 2000 seeds.