Find the gobblers

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Non-binary
28 posts

watercress • 1 November 2021 at 8:37 AM

Hey there, just thought that I should mention that the whole find the gobblers challenge is ridiculously hard to someone who is visually impaired. I understand that it is supposed to be tricky to see, but that's the thing, being visually impaired makes it 1000x harder to spot them which is kinda unfair, I feel like it should be a tad easier.

Also, does anyone know what the odds of one appearing are? Pretty sure I've visited over 100 different pages on here and BARELY seen 1, so unless I'm just unlucky (or, yknow, because I'm impaired) the odds might need to be raised just a touch.

Female
9 posts

foxgirl98 • 1 November 2021 at 11:20 AM

does someone how you spot them?
this is my first search event on this.

3,057 posts

jirachiwishmaker • 1 November 2021 at 12:51 PM

@foxgirl98

They are everywhere on the page, and the gobblers are very light. I find them on the sides much easier because it's darker and easier to see, but they are there. It happens when you switch from page to page, so you can look thru your inventory, the archives, the blog, the shops, doing feeds. Once you see one, you won't forget what it looks like. I just look for movement on the page, and that's how you spot them. Once the page is refreshed you will see when they pop up cause they just appear in front of you. That's why it's easier to see them when you switch from one page to the next.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 1 November 2021 at 6:04 PM

@watercress

As someone who got headaches every time one of the Eaaster Eggs appeared on a page (they are ridiculously small and my brain just kept thinking was something was wrong, like there was lint on the screen messing with a pixel or two.) ...I will say the Gobblars present their own problems. They are quite faint (that I don't have *too* much of a problem with, but was worried that it would be for others with worse vision.) That and unlike the eggs that onlyappeared in specific spots, the Gobblers can appear ANYWHERE on the page. Looking all around has made me quite dizzy. I personally have an easier time finding them on the tablet in long orientation, (but the downside is my arm can get tired quickly,) because then I only have to look up-down, not sideways.

No idea on the odds.
It was quite frustrating and i felt like crying, but I too didn't find my first one until what felt like over 100 page views (I think it took me almost two hours to find my first one.)

@foxgirl98
It's this, but a lot more faded and a tad bit smaller. Take your time looking all around a page. If you need to, shrink the page so it fits in the browser window. (I've even had one show up on the very edge of the page and was partially cut off.)
https://static.eggcave.com/90by90/gobbler_3.png

Female
1,308 posts

stellalunagirl • 1 November 2021 at 7:38 PM

@watercress @foxgirl98 @snowywinter @jirachiwishmaker

This is only for chrome on mac but: Command + A --> will highlight all the clickable links + text on the page, the gobbler is highlighted too (albeit in a lighter colour) but this helps you spot them much easier!

Not entirely, sure what the analogous command is for Windows but I hope this helps! ^^

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 21 November 2021 at 12:55 AM

@stellalunagirl is selecting all text still working for you?

It never worked on my laptop, but now my tablet (Samsung Tab A7) updated to Android 11 and not only are the arrows missing from select all (GRR!!!) but it also doesn't select the Gobblers either.

Wondering if it's a software thing or a site change.

Still have to test it on my phone that runs Android 4, (but i try to avoid using the internet on it. Newer phones and OS seem to not get a good signal at my house, and the poor thing is on its last leg.) but it worked on that two weeks ago. ...Not on any of the other devices or OSs besides this tablet.

Edit: trying in Samsung Internet. Arrows seem to be a Chrome issue (as they also are working just fine in Memo,) but Gobbler is still not highlighted w a box anymore. (But are indicated.)