What would cause a Gobbler to disappear?

in Help & Questions

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 1 November 2021 at 2:42 PM

Earlier I was staring right at one. My vision can be pretty bad at times, so I was staring, and changing perspectives just to make sure it wasn't one of my "spots". Sure enough, it was an actual Gobbler. I was hovering over it, just about ready to get it, and *poof!* it vanished.

Are they timed, or is it like the Oasis and anyone can come along and snatch one?
(And no, the page didn't refresh.)

(Or might this be a bug/glitch?)

Female
840 posts

sulvas • 1 November 2021 at 5:54 PM

I've had it happen where I double-clicked them and they poof. They still count though. It'll also happen if you happen to accidentally ctrl click the gobbler and go back to the original page and click them again. I think it's the site just being like "oh you already clicked it so I'll just get rid of it".

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 1 November 2021 at 7:42 PM

@sulvas My count didn't go up though. I had the previous page open in another tab, so the "old" count was still there. I went to another page and it was the same.

I wasn't touching/clicking anything at the moment it vanished. Just staring at the screen.

I know using the back button worked for me with the Easter Egg hunt, but so far either i haven't missed any turkeys, or it's not working for me.

Female
840 posts

sulvas • 1 November 2021 at 8:32 PM

@snowywinter I couldn't replicate what you did exactly. Closest I got was purposefully leaving a gobbler on one tab until I found one on another and grabbed that one. When I went back and clicked the one on the original tab it poofed with no popup (not sure if it counted or not). Maybe it's worse on mobile devices/tablets or something. I guess just don't leave turkeys if you're gonna go into another tab. Hopefully it doesn't happen too often.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 2 November 2021 at 1:01 AM

@sulvas
You may be onto something. I think another tab may have finished loading about the same time. (Possibly.)

(Thanks for trying to replicated it. I feel bad if you wasted any time doing so though. And I made you miss out on a Gobbler!) (I sill only had it happen to me the one time. - and my tablet can't make up it's mind on size controls, but that's another issue altogether.)

I just it's a warning to multitaskers. Gobblers will wander these woods. Easy appear, easy disappear.

Female
4,622 posts

mastergemma • 9 November 2021 at 9:27 PM

@sulvas @snowywinter

Sulvas, you triggered the multiple page open gobbler "bug". It isn't actually a bug but it looks like one if you have not encountered it before. What is actually happening is that you have an active gobbler on the first page and it does not time out so if you do not click on the gobbler and come across a different webpage with a gobbler it'll actually still be the first gobbler you see. You'll see the popup here when you click it.

As you've clicked on the second appearance of the gobbler, the first appearance becomes obsolete so it does not give you a second count as it is technically the same gobbler, hence no popup.
Does this make sense?

TLDR do not have multiple tabs open when it is Gobble Gobble season otherwise there will be heartbreak.

Snowywinter, did you have multiple tabs open and could this have happened to you as well?

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 9 November 2021 at 10:26 PM

@mastergemma Thank you for replying

It sounds similar to what happened, but one would have to account for a possible delay caused by slow equipment and internet.

I had been on the tab with the disappearing Gobbler, staring at that spot for probably about 20 - 30 seconds. I didn't click any other Gobbler in that timeframe or before switching to that tab/between tabs. (It had been at least 30 seconds since I had switched to that tab. My memory's foggy on what I was doing before but I don't remember getting any Gobblers for at least a few page views before it.)

-
Quick ask on a similar note since i have your attention, but I was busy the other night and it's not fresh in my memory, but should I still report a 405 Error like the page asks me to. Will the link be needed? (Reason it's related, is because I got the 405 Error just clicking on a Gobbler.)

Female
4,622 posts

mastergemma • 9 November 2021 at 11:11 PM

@snowywinter

If you have multiple tabs open then it's likely it was just the same Gobbler just in two places. For example, earlier today I had a gobbler on a profile of a user I was feeding so a gobbler becomes 'active'. I did not see the Gobbler and started to open 20 tabs to feed. On these tabs I saw two Gobblers and clicked on both. Only one would give me a point as both of the tabs loaded the same Gobbler as EggCave noticed that I missed the original active Gobbler. Even if I go back to the profile and click the Gobbler it would not count as a point as at that time as the Gobbler was already found on one of the newer pages.

God I hope I didn't just confuse you more haha.

If you do see the 405 error again do try and grab the URL and explain what happened in a ticket to the Egg Cave Team.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 10 November 2021 at 3:19 AM

@mastergemma
Actually that made a lot of sense. (Still have no idea why it decided to disappear right in front of me though. Tricky turkey bugger.) It at least helps me understand why when i open three coves at a time to feed, why if there's a Gobbler I catch on the main profile to the 2nd or 3rd one I opened, that i don't see the count go up.

*mind wanders* So they're sci-fi birds! They can create replica interactive images of themselves. LOL. (don't mind me, just being a dork.)

Okay, thank you. : )

Female
4,622 posts

mastergemma • 11 November 2021 at 10:56 PM

@snowywinter

Having multiple tabs open in this month is devastating. I usually try and only have two maximum when hunting for gobblers.