Newbie questions, Strongroom/Shop/Items

in Help & Questions

Female
5,407 posts

Orderedchaos • 3 July 2022 at 7:44 PM

@heatherm19
Sorry about missing your earlier ping.

Archiving a PM hides it from your view and there is no way for you to see or retrieve it. However if the other person in the PM sends a new message in it then it will become unarchived.

The strongroom has no cap, it really is unlimited space. 😊

Female
2,914 posts

heatherm19 • 13 July 2022 at 9:24 PM

@Orderedchaos Thank you for always answering my questions! 😊

The Leaf of Vaka, I've seen it traded so I know it's able to move between accounts, but would it be considered cheating or against the rules in any way to buy 1 and move it between your own accounts? Like, if I keep it at side #3 since that's the one usually lowest on happiness, but then sometimes send it to side #1 if that side was getting low, etc? I can't justify spending so much CC to buy one for each account, but moving it between accounts like that might not be allowed because it's a way to get around having to buy multiple? Just want to make sure before I do anything.

edit: Also! Are pre-paid debit cards able to be used to buy CC? My concern is the fact that when you go to put in card info it wants 'card holder name', but there is no card holder name if it's a pre-paid debit card (I've had issues using them on other sites). (And yes I see you can use Paypal but I've never used that and would rather not if possible...)

edit again since I can't double-post:
A curiosity question, did there used to be only a few item-stores and some came later? Sometimes I see items that would seem to belong in one store but it actually stocks in another store. Example, "Red Sails Pirate Ship Banana Split" would logically go in Finley's Flavors because it's ice cream, but it stocks in the General Food Store instead. Was the General store around before Flavors or Bakery?

94 posts

heatherm_side • 20 July 2022 at 11:19 PM

@Orderedchaos
I hope it's okay to post from my side here, wasn't sure how else to 'bump' this since we can't double-post. I've now won a Leaf of Vaka in an auction, so I'd really appreciate clarification on how I can and can't use it. I don't want to do anything wrong! Thank you for being so helpful and patient with me. 😊

Female
5,407 posts

Orderedchaos • 23 July 2022 at 11:19 AM

@heatherm19
Apologies for the delay answering, I've been on vacation for the past couple weeks.

-Moving a Leaf of Vaka around your accounts is perfectly fine.

-I'm not sure. Ian is better for answering CC related questions. Sending in a ticket is the best way to get an answer.

-To start EC only had one shop (travel shop) and more were added as years went by. General Food is one of the oldest shops and has been around longer than the more specialized food shops. So there are several older items that would probably fit better in a newer shop.

Female
2,914 posts

heatherm19 • 2 August 2022 at 12:31 AM

@Orderedchaos Hope you had a nice vacation! 😊

Another curiosity question: When you bid on an auction it says " Users who are under their maximum Cove size may bid.", which makes sense. But an auction can last days, so what happens if someone bids but then fills their cove spaces? For example, if I had 5 spaces left and bid on an auction for 5 creatures, but then picked up a couple creatures from the cave... If I remained the high bid to the end, would the auction just be nulled or something? Is there anything in the coding to deal with a situation like that?
edit: Oh, I thought of another possible way this may be handled, is it *possible* to pick up more creatures from the cave in that scenario? Or are those cove spaces 'held' as long as you have the high bid?

Female
5,407 posts

Orderedchaos • 2 August 2022 at 10:48 AM

@heatherm19
I think, but I can't remember for sure so don't quote me on this, that you would get the creatures and then be overdrawn on cove spaces. In order to adopt any more creatures you would then need to either buy more spaces, or transfer/abandon creatures to get back under your limit.

Female
2,914 posts

heatherm19 • 7 August 2022 at 3:19 AM

@Orderedchaos Just wanted to confirm, you are right in how that works! I won two large auctions on one of my sides and currently have 354 creatures despite really only having 340 spaces.

94 posts

heatherm_side • 12 August 2022 at 1:43 AM

@Orderedchaos Hello again!

Question, do toys or other items from the shops 'break' after a certain amount of time or something? I've seen that references in a few user-profiles, and the Cash Shop says "Cash Shop items and Travels are multi-use, permament, and will never break unlike other items you can purchase from the regular shops." But I've never actually seen or heard of items breaking? Though I don't actually 'use' many items except travels on my creatures, so maybe I've just never experienced it.

Also, out of curiosity, is there any policy/guideline about 'reporting' spelling mistakes around the site? (that 'permament' is how it's spelled in the Cash Shop when you go to buy a travel...) I've seen multiple mistakes in creature pages in the archive too, but I don't know if it's something staff want to be aware of and will fix or if it's probably known but not a priority or whatever?

Female
5,407 posts

Orderedchaos • 12 August 2022 at 10:55 AM

@heatherm_side
Yup, toys have a chance to break that is tied to their rarity. A common toy is more likely to break after one use whereas a higher rarity toy you are more likely to get several uses out of it before it breaks.

If you find a typo on a site page send in a ticket about it and it'll get fixed. Typos slip past us sometimes and we'll fix them if we know about them. 😊

Female
2,914 posts

heatherm19 • 13 August 2022 at 5:02 PM

@Orderedchaos
Okay, follow-up question, what do you mean by multiple uses? I thought everything except Cash Shop items was one-use? You 'use' it on a creature and that's it. Is there a way to use regular toys multiple times? Or are multiple 'uses' counted another way, like by time (like how real toys wear out over time)?

Female
5,407 posts

Orderedchaos • 13 August 2022 at 6:25 PM

@heatherm19
Unlike food or books, toys are the one item that have a chance to stick around when you use them. If a toy does not break it stays in your inventory and you can use it again, on either the same creature or a different one. When a toy breaks is when it is consumed and leaves your inventory (like normal items).

Female
2,914 posts

heatherm19 • 4 September 2022 at 1:29 AM

@Orderedchaos Thank you for your explanation!

Okay, so the Player Guide says this:
"How come I get the message "Sorry you've already fed this egg today!" when I haven't?
This happens when there are multiple accounts per household (perhaps your brother, sister, mom, or dad has an Egg Cave account or you share a computer with somebody who also plays Egg Cave). We calculated feeds off the number of unique IP addresses; that is, the number of different IPs that feed a creature. Households share the same IP. Thus you will get that message. This is not a glitch. Please do not report this."

I know the Player Guide doesn't include everything and is perhaps outdated in some parts, and I'm wondering whether that's the case here or if we really aren't supposed to be able to feed a creature multiple times a day from the same IP. Sometimes when I see creatures with extremely low happiness I'll feed them through my main and all 3 of my sides to try to get them out of the red. Is that not supposed to be possible? I log in to all my accounts on the same computer, same browser, so according to the Player Guide I shouldn't be able to feed that way since it would be the same IP right?

Female
5,407 posts

Orderedchaos • 4 September 2022 at 11:33 AM

@heatherm19
That part of the guide is outdated. Feeds were switched to account based rather than IP based a while ago. Guess Ian never got around to updating that bit of the Guide.