Mad Science

in Help & Questions

Female
909 posts

icecream • 2 October 2022 at 6:00 PM

Is there any strategy for Mad Science or is it just random chance?

Female
1,743 posts

minnie298a • 2 October 2022 at 6:13 PM

@icecream
Pretty sure it's random.

Personally I always pick the same one (middle). I feel that I'm not chasing the wrong one all the time, and by the laws of averages, I've got to right on average of every 5 guesses. But that's just what I tell myself.

Female
909 posts

icecream • 2 October 2022 at 7:30 PM

@minnie298a
Thank you! Lol that's what I do in the cave. I always pick the middle one.

Female
1,743 posts

minnie298a • 2 October 2022 at 7:35 PM

@icecream
I do that as well. I also always pick the same egg at the Asteroid, number for Wall of Sandrodons and same racer in Alkub Racing. Statistically, even random results should eventually pay off.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 2 October 2022 at 9:50 PM

@icecream
I Mod last year said it is completely random.
That doesn't mean some of us still don't try for strategy.
Seen it mentioned in the blog of going for the one that looks like it would be poisoned (reverse psychology.) One I've done myself on a few occasions.
I also like trying to choose the item that seems like it doesn't fit a pattern. Shop, color, year released, shape, etc.
And sometimes I just pick my favorite item.

Strategy can make it fun. *shrug*

I just try not to spend too much time thinking about it since it is random.

(I did record all of my results last year - just because that's who I am - and I did see a pattern on which numbers won more often. But that's just based on the ones I selected.)

Female
909 posts

icecream • 8 October 2022 at 8:33 PM

@snowywinter
Thank you! I thought it was probably random but just wanted to make sure.
I also pick my favorite item sometimes. And sometimes my least favorite item. Sometimes I even go out of my way to pick the one that looks the most poisonous lol. Strategy definitely makes it more fun!

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 8 October 2022 at 10:22 PM

@minnie298a I've been wondering over the past few days, and I can't remember if it was covered in years past; I know we were told it's all random, but I can't help but wonder if there's an element like there is with the Cave where you have five spots, but they're all up for grabs by other players. So if one person is picking the same spot, that makes it less likely another player would get the winning item in that spot?
(I almost never have good luck picking the middle one. Last year or this year... and I wonder if that's because it's a few players' favorite... or just my bad luck almost always picking it when it's wrong. lol.)

@icecream One of my favorite others is to try and figure out the oldest item. (It's all just superstition as newer items win too. - so i don't bother looking it up in the archives or anything. But I believe I have good luck picking those items. lol) All just going with the gut feeling at what seems lucky in the moment.
Sometimes I have winning streaks... and sometimes I can go half a day losing.
Glad you've been having fun with it! : D (Definitely helps knowing that there is no "right" answer and just going with the flow.)

Female
5,409 posts

Orderedchaos • 8 October 2022 at 10:46 PM

@snowywinter
That is not how the Cave or Mad Science works. Both are completely random.

@icecream
I am confirming that Mad Science is completely random. There is no strategy with it, it is all luck.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 8 October 2022 at 11:03 PM

@Orderedchaos Thank you for confirming the "completely random" element of Mad Science. ^^ (and the Cave. oops. Got a bit confused because of The Oasis.)
Lol...you had me thinking of the insurance "Facebook" ad. "That's not how ANY of this works!" (love that ad. Because that is so me. Even made a "texting" game with my friends way back when where we wrote notes With pen and paper! to each other while hanging out and listening to live bands. >.<)