Recent Topics - Hide User Contests

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Female
387 posts

cryogenics • 19 January 2023 at 3:18 AM

Ok, so let me explain this one.

On a daily basis, I go to the forum section to see what is new, and all I ever see in the Recent Topics is a feeding contest of some sort, with the rare occasion of a non-feeding contest.

I would like to see recent topics from other sections without actually going into those sections one by one.

The contest section is monopolizing the Recent Topics - might as well call it Recent Contests.

@Ian
@Orderedchaos
@Meteoroid

Cis Female
604 posts

kataclysm • 19 January 2023 at 5:47 AM

I feel like an option to filter forum results would be particularly helpful! I'd probably elect to mute/hide notifications from the games board, personally. I don't have an issue with the contests myself (I'm in most of 'em, trying to hustle my way into collecting more pets), but I can appreciate that they've had a recent influx yet that would be pretty uninteresting to see if you weren't invested in them yourself.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 19 January 2023 at 7:40 AM

@cryogenics
Honestly it usually isn't much of a problem, and I found it helpful even for them to come up as I usually didn't participate in the contests before and would have otherwise missed some good ones had I not seen them come up in Recent.
I don't remember there ever being this many active feeding ones at one time before.

While I'd love for us to be able to select sections to mute and what-have you, I think a simpler solution would to be to expand the offering of most recent. 10 always seemed like too few, especially when the forum is more active with people chatting. 15 - 20 seems reasonable for this site.
(I'd prefer like some message boards to be able to display a time-frame, such as "past day/24 hours", but I'm thinking of what would be most likely/easiest to implement with existing code.)

(If we were able to mute sections I'd definitely be muting Contests right now too >.<)

Female
1,285 posts

daisycat • 19 January 2023 at 12:33 PM

@cryogenics
I agree with you and have thought the same thing. For users competing in all the feeding contests, it's definitely helpful and useful for them. But for many other users who aren't involved, it's irrelevant. It would be nice to have either more recent topics showing, or, two separate columns: one for recent, in general, and one for contests, since there will probably always be contests going on. 😊