win a 10000EC this week(Closed)

in User Contests & Giveaways

How Many Dog Breeds Are There in the World? (Multiple answers allowed.)

Female
37 posts

inarivixen • 7 February 2023 at 5:05 AM

1st person with the correct answers gets 10000EC
this weeks questions are dogs
How Many Dog Breeds Are There in the World?
Why do dogs wag their tails?
Why is chocolate bad for my dog?
Do dogs dream?
Why do dogs howl?
Why do dogs have wet noses?
Why do dogs have whiskers?
Why do dogs eat grass?
Why do dogs chase their tails?
Why do dogs bury their bones, food or other items?
write dog in 5 different languages

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 7 February 2023 at 11:33 PM

@inarivixen just wanted you to know I voted on the poll and it showed 0 votes. I submitted a ticket.

(I totally want to answer in this though!
Fun fact about me - and I've shared it on these forums before - but at one time I could name most of the dog breeds in the world. (tested myself on in again here and I can only name a few of them now -_-)

will be back after I've had sleep.)

Female
1,668 posts

musicgurl333 • 8 February 2023 at 12:09 AM

How Many Dog Breeds Are There in the World? 360, as of Jan. 2023

Why do dogs wag their tails? Usually it’s because they’re happy, but depending on the speed and position, it could also mean that they are happiness, nervousness, feeling threatened, anxiety, submission and excitement.

Why is chocolate bad for my dog? It contains theobromine (and also caffeine), which is toxic to dogs, and can cause all kinds of symptoms including vomiting and heart failure.

Do dogs dream? Yep! 😊

Why do dogs howl? To communicate, especially over far distances.

Why do dogs have wet noses? It increases their ability to smell.

Why do dogs have whiskers? Their sensory input helps dogs navigate their environment and aids their eyesight.

Why do dogs eat grass? Grass has fiber, which dogs need to help digest food.

Why do dogs chase their tails? Usually it’s boredom or excitement, but it could also be a sign of fleas or parasites.

Why do dogs bury their bones, food or other items? To keep them safe from other dogs or animals.

write dog in 5 different languages
Le chien, il perro, der hund, il cane, cachorro

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 8 February 2023 at 5:27 AM

Went to bed, came back, and poll is fixed now. *shrug emoji*

How Many Dog Breeds Are There in the World?
Well, there was 450 about the year 2000. When i looked it up a little over a year ago there were almost 900, so my answer by the poll is over 500.
And that's sort of a tricky one to answer... is one basing it off closed-registry association standards (which promote a lack of diversity in the gene pools) or anything goes, including "designer" breeds that people see as a profit throwing any two(or more) breeds together? (I fall in the middle.) There are some breeds that have been in countries for hundreds or even thousands of years that weren't even recognized by the most popular registries, and some that don't want to be. But because those breeds aren't seen on the world stage go mostly unrecognized. (One of my friends for example was trying to describe or find a translation for a Hungarian breed of Spitz she grew up with. I must have gone through at least 100 different breeds of dog even combing through my books with the rarest breeds, and doing online searches, and we never were able to solve the mystery. But she insisted it is a breed there.)

Why do dogs wag their tails?
Dogs wag their tails in excitement. It is a misconception that dogs only wag their tails when they're happy. Dogs carry a whole language in their tails. Generally a relaxed wag is a happier one, and stiff is more aggressive. Without looking it up I can't remember which is which, but even whether they're wagging more to left or right can indicate where they are having feelings of friendly or animosity.

Why is chocolate bad for my dog?
(pre-looking it up I know that it is a chemical that one of their organs can't process. something like theobromide ... and the liver? Or was it caffeine?
Did you know carob is a nice tasty alternative for humans and canines alike?! Just make sure the treats aren't sweetened with xylitol! It is FAR more lethal to dogs than chocolate. ...But yeah, used to make gluten, dairy-free, carob chip cookies for dog play group ^^. The humans liked them too.)
Ah ha! I was close. Theobromine... but it was both that and Caffine. and they affect so much. Including the central nervous system.

Do dogs dream?
I will argue with any "scientist" that says otherwise. And modern studies are saying yes. (Most my life conventional science said NO.)
(They may even share the same areas of the brain we use for similar emotions.)

Why do dogs howl?
It is a carry over from wolf behavior to communicate with members of the pack that are far away.
It can be territorial, it can be in mourning, it can be because they are lonely/ (for assembly), it can be before going on a walk/run(assembly for pack hunts), it can be out of excitement. Responding to other sounds usually triggers some form of those emotions, Particularly the territorial response by emergancy vehicles.

Why do dogs have wet noses?
It helps clear their nasal passages so they can get fresh scent data.
(Depending on the breed) They can smell approximately 10,000 times more vividly than we can. They smell in 3D and their brains can practically form a image in their heads. It's almost another sense beyond just smelling in the way we think of it. So long as a dog can smell, they can "see."

Why do dogs have whiskers?
Technically it's weird to think of any mammal without whiskers. It is thought it was the first hair to for us to form in the process of evolution. Though cats had then first and theirs are far more sensitive than dogs, they are used as sensory receptors. Feeling everything from the space around them, to vibrations in the air, and even electrical impulses. Dogs also use them in part to help channel scent into their nasal passages AND for communication. So, So much communication by the way they hold them.
At the base of those hairs are very sensitive receptors surrounded by many nerves.
(How people can cut these vital tools on their beloved pets is beyond me. It seems absolutely cruel. We may have evolved beyond using them from day to day or feeling much pain, but our pets still very much rely on them.)

Why do dogs eat grass?
Depends on the dog. Can be everything from inducing vomiting, to poor nutrition, to a behavioral issue (i.e. nervous behavior, addiction, boredom).

Why do dogs chase their tails?
Usually it is because they are stressed, or some d*mb*ss thought it would be funny to teach them this. (Sorry, but teaching them this runs the risk of the dog picking up anxiety that wasn't there before.)
Some do it out of boredom. (With some dogs, chasing another's tail can be a form of play or bullying. Chasing their own tail stimulates these pack behaviors.)

Why do dogs bury their bones, food or other items?
It is a throwback to wolf (or street-life) of caching resources to have for a later time. It is a survival instinct.
(Again, something that can manifest in a bored dog. ...or in certain breeds that were bred for digging.)

write dog in 5 different languages.
oh jeeze... i definitely have to look this up. I only know it off the top of my head in English, French, and German, but not quite Squirrel (I know their word for Cat though... but dog is a complex cultural thing that isn't one word for all of them.)
Chien, Hund, Inu, Pies, Animosh

Non-binary
2,819 posts

lunacharm1037 • 8 February 2023 at 9:46 AM

Hmmm, interesting dog facts 😃

Female
37 posts

inarivixen • 9 February 2023 at 2:38 PM

musicgurl333 will get 10000EC on the 11th

Female
1,668 posts

musicgurl333 • 10 February 2023 at 12:27 PM

@inarivixen Oh my goodness!! I can’t believe it!! A HUGE thank you for doing this!! I’m in shock!! 😃 I’m seriously so excited right now!! 😃 Thank you again!!!