Site feature: A Wishing Well/Wish Tree

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Female
869 posts

netherling • 21 March 2023 at 12:40 AM

I think something similar to a wishing well would be interesting to have. All the items in the Eggcave database would be up for grabs like how it is with Neopets' wishing well. People donate a certain amount of EC to make a wish for a certain item (EC that would be up for grabs for new users who have under a certain amount) and they get a chance twice a day to receive what they wished for. It could help with quests, give you hard to find or retired travels, etc. I don't know if it's been suggested before but it would be neat to have.

Female
1,304 posts

daisycat • 21 March 2023 at 12:47 AM

@netherling
I love this idea!! 😊 I also really like the idea of the EC not just vanishing and instead being donated somehow.

The Neopets wishing well... ahh, so much NP wasted in vain lol. There were so many players back then, seemed impossible to get your wish granted. With a smaller player base here, it seems more attainable!

Female
869 posts

netherling • 21 March 2023 at 12:39 PM

@daisycat Yes! I like the idea of EC being recycled back into the player base through this and helping the donators get items granted. There are a lot of travels that aren't circulating anymore because they were retired a long time ago, but they're so pretty and I know people are still looking for them in addition to others that they may collect. A wishing well or wishing tree would be pretty cool in helping with that, though I don't see it being a wishing tree specifically considering we do have a tree for our Christmas event already. A wishing well would be too close to neopets so maybe something else could be found to wish on. Maybe there can be another event with like a fallen star landing and you can go to the site to make a wish.
I've been on Neopets again recently and it reminded me of how I used to play on both of these sites so much back when I first got started here, and how many ideas that they've had that could also work here with how the player base is growing. I actually found Egg Cave through an ad that was on neopets' website while I was playing one day lol.

Female
1,304 posts

daisycat • 21 March 2023 at 12:58 PM

@netherling
"a fallen star landing and you can go to the site to make a wish"
This is soo cute and creative! I would love another site event and this one sounds so fun. Maybe the stars fall on random pages, not just one, and it's like the Gobbler hunt but the stars are more rare. Or it could be an all-year event! With between three and eight falling per month. The stars would be animated and sparkle. c: You could collect several stars over time to build up to a certain prize to redeem, or use them right then and there on a smaller prize or less prizes.

Many retired travels and items aren't available because they may be sitting in inventories or strongrooms of users who stopped playing. A wishing well could very, very slowly introduce just some of those back into circulation. They would still be special and rare, but there's some hope that you could get one!

A wishing well is its own thing in general, so I don't think it would matter that Neopets uses that exact phrase. I found EC via Neopets, too! Well, a Neopets fansite lol, The Daily Neopets.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 25 March 2023 at 5:34 PM

I've been hoping for even a random daily item.
It's nice that we're now getting them via the Dailies, but that's only open to people that have verified their accounts. (So many people myself included have had our fair share of gripes and nit-picking about the tasks, but it hit me yesterday how some people are excluded from it entirely -_- )
Another game i play has several ways to get random items (i.e. once daily log-in thingy - and it can even be small amounts of Cash points. NO verification needed. And then there's one where you can toss in an item and get another item back. Generally a retired item of similar selling price in user shops.)

In addition to wishing for retired items and pets, and recouping EC in a way (like the Lottery,) I think a wishing well type thing could also help gauge people's interest in items and such. (A literal vested interest.) It seems like it would be a win-win.

@netherling @daisycat in case anyone has forgotten, retired items are now being released through the Donations Center (how many or what type who knows? - the thread I had for people to announce their finds has gone dormant since the start of the monthly challenges.)
It would be nice to have a way to get some of the retired travels more readily. I keep wishing for a re-release of Cash Shop travels too just like with the creatures. (Even if it was just 1 each month and limited stock.)

Since I joined I have been saddened that there are no year round random events. Just being on the site and browsing the pages. I know Eggcave tries to set it apart from other Virtual Pet sites, but it's one of my favorite features of others i've been on. Getting a random item (or site currency no matter how small,) when not expecting one is a nice pick-me-up/mood booster ^^

Female
869 posts

netherling • 27 March 2023 at 11:29 AM

@daisycat Yes! That would be so fun. We need more events to keep the players active, so a falling star event that leads up to a permanent spot on the site to make daily wishes would be the best way to go!

@snowywinter Yeah, I would prefer items that I'd actually use (like travels) instead of some of the pointless items that some sites give out as free dailies. A year-long event would be cool, or just something fun we can do for days that results in a well of prizes. With something like a wishing star, we could do that for month and then at the end have a permanent new daily we can do for prizes.