Cave Baiting input

in Site Feedback & Ideas

I want the chance of baiting being successful to...

Female
2,715 posts

jlya • 2 August 2023 at 12:12 PM

Hello all,
I was wondering what other users think of the baiting option and specifically what kind of luck they've had when actually baiting for a specific creature?
-Do you like the baiting option or no?
-Has baiting worked for you?
-How many times have you had to use bait before you get the creature you wanted?

So far it seems I have more luck just clicking on the middle egg than going to the trouble of wasting items. I've baited several times in a row for the same creature and failed to obtain it, then when approaching normally two eggs later that same creature pops up.

@orderedchaos @jazzyleia
I also had two questions for the mods:
1. How much does baiting a specific creature increase the chance of getting said creature? 10%? 50%?
2. Does baiting increase the chance of finding that creature in the cave afterwards, when approaching without bait?

@minnie298a
@magenta
Sorry for the noise, I just know you both were very helpful at keeping track of statistics/feedback on the dailies ^^

Female
5,409 posts

Orderedchaos • 2 August 2023 at 12:53 PM

@jlya
-Using bait doubles the chance of getting the chosen creature.
-The increase is only applied if bait is used. Regular cave attempts will just be the standard chance to find the creature.

Female
2,715 posts

jlya • 2 August 2023 at 1:01 PM

@orderedchaos
Thank you for the clear and prompt answers as always ^^

Female
2,934 posts

heatherm19 • 2 August 2023 at 2:52 PM

Honestly I've only used bait once or twice so far, and that was the first day or two just to try the new feature. I feel like it's probably a helpful feature for people with limited time or something, but I'm finding that with my normal 30+ approaches a day I see every baitable egg at least once without using bait at all. (I got today's baitable monthly on my 10 free approaches, with no bait...)

Female
1,742 posts

minnie298a • 2 August 2023 at 8:17 PM

@jlya
While I like the concept, baiting isn't something I've used a lot. Nor is it something I've taken notes on, past the first day (decided early it wasn't really for me). Most days I just haven't had any interest in the creatures offered.

I do know I have used a bait 14 times with no success.
3 on the first day as it was shiny and new and I had spares of the items (despite not wanting any of the critters).
10 on the first day I saw a monthly. Again, I had extras of the items, and stopped after my initial approaches.
1 single time a couple of days ago to see if baiting satisfied the Use/Consume dailies task. It does not.

I didn't bait today, despite there being a Cibirio on offer. It's asking for a book I only have one copy of (none in shops) and I'd prefer to save that for a Quest. I did get two Xattas in my initial 10 approaches though.

In saying all that. I may heavily bait on certain personal dates if the creature is of interest (and commons often fit in here). I also feel that early on in my playing days, I would have been more interested, but now have most the creatures I desire. So I do like the concept, and see it's appeal and usefulness, it's just not something I'm personally going to use that much.

Female
1,863 posts

magenta • 2 August 2023 at 11:34 PM

@jlya
hi! thanks for thinking of me ❤ī¸

unfortunately, i haven't had the chance to try out the baiting system because i'm just not that interested in it haha ☚ī¸ but what i do like about it is that it allows us to use more quest items so things in the user shop run out more quickly! furthermore, it's great for collectors and new players.

however, in my opinion, since the chances for a monthly are pretty low anyway, baiting doesn't really do much for monthly collecting. it is akin to rolling the 'completed all dailies for 100% increased chance at monthly' button seeing how both double the chances of a monthly appearing. but i don't think that's much of an issue

anyway, i just think that might be limiting users from using the bait option especially when the item they ask for is slightly pricier. i think it'd be nice if we could swap the bait creatures for a small fee or something to see more use out of it, but besides that, i think it's pretty good so far 😊

34 posts

dragiggy • 3 August 2023 at 5:47 AM

When use baiting, creatures to be bitten should be different . Not Ceve commons. Maybe Monthlies, maybe even retired ones, maybe retired item as an option. Otherwise buying items for a bite is to expensive.

Female
2,715 posts

jlya • 3 August 2023 at 12:57 PM

@heatherm19 @magenta @minnie298a @dragiggy
Thank you all for taking the time to reply and give your input ❤ī¸ I wanted to gain other users' perspectives and your thoughts were very helpful.

I agree it would be lovely to have the option of swapping the baiting item and/or creatures for a fee. I think this would be helpful for new users especially, who don't have a stock of items. Sometimes the price of an item is also disproportionate to the actual success rate of the bait.

Female
2,934 posts

heatherm19 • 3 August 2023 at 3:16 PM

Being able to swap the bait item for something afferent would be *so* helpful. That's actually something that makes baiting less appealing imo, the way the bait is fixed... If you simply don't have that item, and it's not restocking in the shop or in user shops, you are just out of luck for the entire day. You can't use the bait feature at all in that case. (I feel this is especially difficult for non-Quest-items, like Trinkets and Bean Shop items, because in my experience less users stock those items in their shops. Yesterday and today the first bait item shown for me were Trinkets.)

Female
1,742 posts

minnie298a • 3 August 2023 at 9:20 PM

Being able to do a once or twice a day switch on items or creatures may make it more appealing to me. But probably not. I would definitely bait a monthly on the 1st, or a limited release creature (eg Leep or Revelca). But it kind of comes down to why would I use an item I've spent 2000 ec on for a chance at a creature I don't really want, could possibly get for free, and would practically giveaway in a bulk lot for 100ec? Particularly when said item could also be used to gain a VEND token towards a creature I'm actually after.

I'm not sure how the trend of offering everyone the same creatures would be effected though. Not even sure of my stance on that.

475 posts

spell • 3 August 2023 at 10:16 PM

I tried it a couple of times for fun and didn't have any luck. I don't really care for baiting - most of the time, the creatures are just commons, and the cave monthlies can usually be found in auctions/trades being sold for pretty cheap (maybe less than the cost of however many items you need to successfully bait one). If I wanted a specific creature on a specific date and it somehow got drawn as one of the few that day, that would be convenient, but I don't really see it as a useful feature. I think I prefer how the cave looked without it, especially on mobile. It would be nice if we could turn it off.

Cis Female
604 posts

kataclysm • 9 August 2023 at 5:39 AM

I personally find it a little bit exhausting to bait an egg with an item, and for that item to be used up with that one bait. Particularly when items can be pretty expensive, it doesn't feel worth it to throw coins at the cave when you're likely enough to encounter a monthly at some point throughout the entire month with your free attempts.

But, it's an optional feature - I'm not a big fan of it, so I don't use it. If people are finding joy in using it then I'm glad for them, and I like that EggCave continues to bring new content to the table. I do wish that it would have more of an impact and be slightly more engaging, but the staff should be proud of what they provide to the members of EggCave all the same .