I have a confession...

in Roleplaying

2,591 posts

celeste • 7 October 2011 at 5:26 AM

Well...uh... I can't do RP... Yeah, a bit crappy, I know... but it's true ^^" And it's really separating me from the rest of EC O///O So, does anyone have any pointers? ^^" Because I doubt I'm a great RPer, after all ^^"

People I THINK can help me:
@smilies
@whispers
@carnatate
@fluffy
@randomkitty17

^^" You guys love to RP, right? (and if this doesn't help, I'm turning this into a comic. I've got it all set out.)

9,386 posts

smilies • 7 October 2011 at 7:05 AM

@Celeste It's easy! 😃 Think of a character, think of a scene, just like you were writing any piece of writing. After that, it's all about reactions. The who, where, what, why, when, how... Who is your character? Monica, a 13 year old school girl. Where is she? In a swamp. What is she doing in a swamp? Studying local wildlife. Why is she in a swamp studying local wildlife? She's on a school field trip. When? NOW. How? They took a bus from school.
Picture the place. Think senses. Write some description maybe.
Then what does she think about the place? Look inside her head and write what she thinks and does according to her personality.

The hum of mosquitoes and the steady drip-drip of the rain falling from the canopy above were the only sounds in the forest. The students looked depressed and scared by their surroundings. Most had probably never seen so many leaves in one place before in their lives. Heck, they'd probably never seen so many leaves in all of their lives put together!
Monica had no problem with leaves, but she was seriously terrified of snakes and spiders. She thought of playing sick and staying in the bus but didn't have the nerve, even though she felt like she really might be sick, with all those worms squirming uncomfortably in her stomach.

Etc.

Non-binary
7,220 posts

whispers • 7 October 2011 at 7:19 AM

@celeste
I can help 😉

Your part is what YOUR charaacter sees/thinks/says. Look at a book. The character IS the narrator of the story(but in RP's, don't say 'I' for your character)
They character describes what she sees with what she feels and think.
So if I was in a Warrior's RP, my post would sound like this:

Muddypaw saw the plump mouse. He knew it would be a perfect meal for his mother. It was time to show Shallowstar he was out of the Dark Forest. She slowly lifted his paw, and gently put them on the ground. When he was at a leaping distance, a big boom of thunder roared through the forest. The mouse squeaked and squiggled into a hole.

"Mousedung!" Muddypaw hissed. He stormed off. He didn't want Shallowstar to see him come back from a hunting patrol, and bring nothing back. He stormed off into ThunderClan territory, by accident. Then he saw a patrol, and his heart dropped.

So you can see how the character blended with the setting ans what is going on with him/her. If it's mostly description, a little dialouge by the character(s) is good 😉 This might have not helped TOO much, but I think it will help.

Female
8,989 posts

lola622f • 7 October 2011 at 9:07 AM

@celeste I don't really know. My sentences always start with 'she' or 'then'. But if you go in lots of Rps you might get better. Or you could read somelse's writing like @fluffy. She's amazing at RPs

2,591 posts

celeste • 7 October 2011 at 9:16 AM

@lola622f
O///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////O
*is so epically embarrassed* If it was just writing, then I don't think I needed to post this topic. I've been insecure about RPing ever since somebody on another site teased me about it, and I guess it really shook me. I might try writing one right now:

Situation: Gerda is in a flower patch picking flowers, while a tiger follows her, and is going to eat her.

She bent over, and plucked a rose. Hardly aware of the tiger behind her, yet feeling a very eerie presence, she bent down again, this time plucking a daffodil. Another bend. A daisy. Another. A pansy. Gerda surveyed the flowers she had plucked, for Kay, who had been very ill. While she was certain he would like all of them, she smiled at the rose. Gerda loved that one the most of all, and was sure Kay would. Just as she was about to head home to deliver these flowers to her beloved, her life flashed before her eyes. Before screams went out of her mouth, she laid, a corpse on the floor. Gerda, the sweet innocent soul, was dead.

A first attempt ^^"

Female
8,989 posts

lola622f • 7 October 2011 at 9:18 AM

@celeste its amazing!! You're good at RPs. I think you should go into Rps.

2,591 posts

celeste • 7 October 2011 at 9:21 AM

@lola622f
*phew* Well, it was a start, I suppose *will do more later* LOL, this was my first attempt. I had no idea it's actually good (I thought people would think OMGUKILLEDHER and disdain it ^^")

Female
7,368 posts

cqpkytty • 7 October 2011 at 9:22 AM

@celeste
That was AWESOME! Great job!

Deleted • 7 October 2011 at 9:26 AM

@celeste Don't be embarressed! D: I didnt know how to rp either at first, and to make it even wore, my first rp was on eggcavern....And on eggcavern, you can control anybody's character, we take turn basically writing a story. Well....
Nobody told me rp's on here were any different. So I joined the I.S.A.N.E. rp(The original, amazing one 😃) and...got yelled at for controlling people's characters X3 It happened to me twice, I was SOOOOOO embarressed :*
Now I know better xD
The only two ways to learn to RP are:
Join one and learn from gained experienced.
Read an RP.

If you want to do a practice one with me, via om, you can^^
Oh and if you want an rp to read:
http://eggcave.com/forums/topic/1244/

Enjoy x]

Play your character, include her thoughts, and sights😊 And feelings;)

2,591 posts

celeste • 7 October 2011 at 9:28 AM

@cpqkytty
*will try another one*
Situation: In the studio, tension is breaking out, and Bertha ponders about it.

Bertha wondered whether it was right. It was very wrong of her sister Vera to have cursed at Jonna, but was it right of HER to have started taking sides and bullying Jonna? Bertha's old manager would have liked that, well having a good old battle of the forces...she missed Michelle. But she was dead. Bertha tried to think up of what Michelle would have said in this situation: "Just stay... stay happy!" She sighed. Finishing her Martini, she paid her bills and walked dejectedly out of the bar, still pondering about the situation as she knew it. The can she kicked bounced up and down, and into the gutter, much like her hope.

Ok - that one sucked ^^"

@icicle_9150
Yup - that'll help a lot! I've read an RP guide before, but I didn't really help - I only learnt not to god mod ^^" And my storylines used to be SO boring! And made no sense. Practising would help SO MUCH! You start PM? ^^"

Female
7,368 posts

cqpkytty • 7 October 2011 at 9:31 AM

@celeste
😊 That was great...

Deleted • 7 October 2011 at 9:32 AM

@celeste sure!^^ ANd you're doing great!😃 I'll pm you;)

2,591 posts

celeste • 7 October 2011 at 9:35 AM

@cpqkytty
I'm sure I can only write them properly when listening to Vocaloid songs (I was listening to Coward Mont Blanc when I wrote that XD) So it's a bit like a collaborative novel, where each person controls a set amount of characters?

@icicle_9150
Great! *awaits PM*

Deleted • 7 October 2011 at 9:39 AM

@celeste sent!😊 When you feel comfortable with roleplaying freely, we can start a public one;)

Female
7,368 posts

cqpkytty • 7 October 2011 at 9:40 AM

@celeste
Yup!
By the way, it's @cqpkytty, not @cpqkytty.

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 7 October 2011 at 9:53 AM

Bump~

Female
8,989 posts

lola622f • 7 October 2011 at 11:02 AM

@icicle_9510 The same thing happened to me.

Deleted • 7 October 2011 at 5:36 PM

@lola622f 😋 Thanks so much *blushes* You're too sweet.

@celeste
Heyy darling, I ehard you're having troubles with writing roleplays. I think all the advise given to you currently is wonderful, and that you should at least attempt them all. But the easiest thing for me to do roleplay is that you think of a story and then write a little part of it in your character's perspective. You did a wonderful job already in your previous two examples. Try writing one in common language.
>>Common language, are basically "kindergarten words" the building blocks of the foundation of language. Nothing like rancorous, malicious, pernicious. Just EVIL will do 😋

Then you can go back and find some words that you'd like to change. Using a thesaurus to find some "bigger" words. EXAMPLE:

>>looking towards the window she looked up at the sign and thought about what she wanted. As she floated in the breeze, many thoughts were on her mind. she didn't want to think about it and spend too much thought. there were more things that mattered more that took up space in her mind.

REWRITTEN

>>Looking towards the window, she looked up at the sign and wondered what she wanted form life. As she floated with the breeze, allowing it to carry her aimlessly, as it please. Many thoughts occupied her mind, she didn't want to spend time pondering useless thoughts. There definitely were many more things that needed her consideration at the moment.

If that helps?

Female
8,989 posts

lola622f • 7 October 2011 at 5:37 PM

@fluffy that's why you're so good. **is going to do that in RPs**

Deleted • 7 October 2011 at 5:50 PM

@lola622f 😋 LOL it takes a little longer, if you're going to randomly type something in KinderScript which is what I like to call it 😋 And then you'll have to reedit it 😋 So that can sometimes be annoying than just typing it from the top of your head.

LOL

@celeste I hope that helped you! I'm not sure if that'll be really helpful, different people have different ways of writing and finding inspiration, maybe yours is writing while you're listening to music.

You could definitely look through the lyrics of your favorite songs and pick out what words that you really like and find the definitions of them, and find what really speaks to you about the song, since you've already realized that songs already help you write, maybe you should give it a try?

Sorry, I'm just trying to help XP Hope this actually does help!

Female
936 posts

marinalily • 7 October 2011 at 7:03 PM

@celeste - You're just like me! I didn't know how either!

I was going to join a random one doing what they used to do on Moshi Monsters, which is;

Mariel: *brushes hair* So, you actually did that?
Clive: *Pretends to punch her* Yup.

But then I got scared. xD Then I started reading them, (got caught in that, too!) & I decided that this way is much better. Then I got invited by a friend (@glazzie *pokepoke*), & not wanting to turn away, I just took a look at other RPs, & tried my best. It just comes naturally when you are passionate about writing & your character, & I am sure it will work out for you, dear. (@skylark (one of the best people evar), told me I was good at it too one time!) Like what @fluffy said though, everyone has a different style for doing it, & soon you will have your own too.
Hope this helped!

Female
1,269 posts

angel_star • 7 October 2011 at 10:21 PM

@celeste

O_o Just do what you wanna do 😋 Btw what does god-modding mean? someone?

Deleted • 8 October 2011 at 12:24 PM

@angel_Star

Godmodding is basically when if you're going to make your character invincible and undefeatabe just for your purposes. If you're group has already agreed on that it's fine... BUt godmodding is a little like this:

A-Punches B, gives B roundhouse kick
B-dodges A and when A throws another punch B dodges and ducks
A-Punches B again, knocking him down
B-Doesn't get knocked down, and throws A to ground and makes A stay there for all eternity.

See how it gets kinda boring? You can search if up, I'm not sure if I gave an accurate explanation... You can aask others

Female
8,989 posts

lola622f • 8 October 2011 at 12:27 PM

@angel_star it can also be like when you're controling someone else's character( I did that in Talents *feels guilty*)

2,591 posts

celeste • 9 October 2011 at 12:26 AM

Practice #3: Kay is awaiting Gerda, but his illness isn't getting any better

With a sigh, Kay stared through the window. Gerda was not skipping down the road to their interlinked houses. What was wrong? She should have been back, at the very least now. Bang. A sudden strike shook him. It was 2 o' clock. Why wasn't Gerda back yet? She had promised to get him some flowers, in an attempt to make him feel better, and had also promised to be back at 2 o' clock. A gentle breeze lulled Kay to sleep with worry about Gerda. Just as he had closed his eyes, slothfully ignoring his terrible life, a single, bloodstained rose petal drifted into the room, and landed on his heart.

See a reference to Hans Christian Anderson?

Female
2,485 posts

yogurt • 9 October 2011 at 12:29 AM

@celeste
I joined my 1st role-play yesterday hee hee It's so much fun 😊

2,591 posts

celeste • 9 October 2011 at 12:30 AM

@yogurt
Am I getting any better at it? Or am I terrible? *see above*

@dawnfur
@trish

Help me? ^^"

4,672 posts

icymuffin • 9 October 2011 at 12:31 AM

Sorry if I'm interupting, but I was on another website where there's a lot of RPing and there was this one interesting idea:

a RPing school 😃
Like, it's a RPing for users newer to it. The newer users RP as students & the more experienced RPers play out as the teachers. ^^

Deleted • 9 October 2011 at 12:31 AM

@Celeste Ah, don't look at me. I'm no good at RolePlays either..

2,591 posts

celeste • 9 October 2011 at 12:39 AM

@dawnfur
But did I do well on my attempts? >c<