Register
watercress • 1 week ago
Title is a joke LOL but it's true I am curious of other people's methods to keeping track of their coves, creatures, wishlists, items, travels etc. Do you guys keep track and like to keep all your data neat and tidy, or do you just wing it?I think I personally get a very particular sense of satisfaction when I can look at all the information together, organised in the way I like it, with visuals and all the data so I'm not having to run off and make 5 other tabs to check a price guide or remind myself what a creature actually looks like cuz the names can be confusing, or check the avaliability etc. That's why I love making databases and organising my lists in PS before I have to go through picking the names one at a time (ough) I like to put it into clear, neat little boxes all in the same place... One of the reasons I wish we could make folders or something similar in strongrooms!! We fr need some more sorting systems, especially since it can feel like a lot to keep track of sometimes. What do yall think?
daisycat • 1 week ago
@watercress I do the title!! :-D I use Paint. I had gotten so frustrated with the numbering bs I was like I'll just drag and drop it in PAINT!!! So I screenshot my cove and then move creatures around in there. I haven't done it for everything, but recently I did it when I was attempting to reorganize my Gallery tab a bit, and when I made my Insectarium tab. If drag and drop organization was available, I'd just do that. :,)I definitely agree about the site needing more sorting systems, you're right!
@daisycat Heheh glad to know I'm not the only one then... Screenshotting is probably the smart move, I usually go thru and copy-paste them all into photoshop, which is kind of an ordeal in itself, but certainly no more than individually numbering hundreds of creatures LOLI think especially having thrown together my own personal databases for keeping track of my wishlists (I have the memory of an ant and with so many travels and consumables I like to hoard, if one isn't in front of my face I can and will forget it exists) has made it feel even more crazy to me, to come back and be like - wait, I can't sort by shop?!I was going back thru some of the older site blog posts to see what I missed (haven't been on in like... Idk.. 2-4 years?) And I remember seeing a bunch about new development and 'modernising' the site but it seems like it was a while ago so I'm super curious if it's still something they're working on
@watercress Memory of an ant 😠I relate, as there can be many things I really, really like, but I can forget about them just as easily. ^^'It doesn't seem like there's any new development happening, but I think Ian is just extra busy IRL. We have a partially finished gallery feature that's still unavailable to all players (only beta players have access), and there were a few big blog posts about log in changes coming... being able to log into all of your accounts with just one email address. Real life came up as it does, so that's all been on hold. Other than that, things seem as usual as far as I would know~What's the one thing you absolutely want the most here? Specific organization tools? I can't decide between a site-made dark mode option, drag 'n' drop, or galleries.
@daisycatEspecially when going through and giving new travels to your creatures - the amount of times I've seen another travel buried in my strongroom and thought "arrrgh that would look so much better!!"Honestly that's so fair with life stuff tho, obviously no ill will to the developers at all here!! Life does like to get in the way and these things aren't always as easy as they seem.Oh man, I didn't even think about dark mode but you're so right.. Organisation for sure is a must, I've been pondering lately if there's anything that would spruce up the, I guess 'gameplay' of the website overall?I do massively appreciate that it's still keeping hold of all the elements or early-ish internet, and that it's still relatively slow paced and hasn't basically become a predatory gacha game like so many 'collector' games out there now, but I do wonder if there's more they could add for creature collecting options than just the cave/asteroid/trading.I guess like the vend machine but a little less.. grindy? Like there must be a fun way to make some kind of site quests, explore Ark and do some almost singleplayer web-game lore stuff. Earn tokens, get creatures that way, that could be a super exciting and fun way to make players feel that much more immersed in the world of ark, but I also know that would be a massive undertaking too, haha!
daisycat • 6 days ago
@watercress Have you heard of or used eggcavity.com? If yes, then maybe just ignore this blurb lol. It's what I use like 95% of the time when looking for travel combos. You can view a specific creature stage on every travel, or, a specific travel on every creature. While it's always visually overwhelming for me (and I can only do it if my migraines / cluster headaches aren't super bad), it's SO HELPFUL and I wouldn't be as excited to use travels without it. The site (made by @/lbowe_elbow) was redone recently and there's a new feature that I especially love: as you're looking through, you can click on potential travel + creature combinations you like. Then at the bottom of the page, all the ones you clicked on and want to compare are all together! It's the best. I'll be scrolling through and clicking like add to cart, add to cart... xPAgreed, I'd love an immersive exploration type game here! Any new, interesting activity in order to get new types of creatures, cuz... questing is unfortunately the bane of my existence 😅 and everything it involves kills my hand waywayway more than feeding. But anyway, truly new stuff to do would be a lot of work, but we all know the site and players definitely deserve it by now after such a long time without any huge or new events. ;3; Or QoL updates.
heatherm19 • 6 days ago
I don't routinely do what the title says, but I have done it a few times when I'm struggling to decide between a few different travels for a specific creature. Screenshotting the travel preview and then putting them all together in a Paint window is a great way to really get a feel for how each travel looks compared to the others. I also don't normally use spreadsheets (in general, not just on Eggcave), but I finally gave in when I tried to figure out which cave commons I still needed. I have a spreadsheet with each cave common, each stage, links to the individual creatures, and how many more I need (as well as large 'no more needed' highlights for the ones I have too many of already!). Other than that, when I signed up here I had been playing another petsite-type game for a long time, and without really meaning to I brought my habit of screenshotting everything over to my new game! I literally have nearly 2k Eggcave screenshots at this point, recording things like trades, transfers, pretty much anytime I pay for a trade with CC, plus accomplishments like monthly leaderboard placement and Sandrodon/Alkub wins. For me it's just easier than trying to keep track of notes in different places. My biggest improvement wish is more ways to sort/filter things, both in your cove and your strongroom. Strongroom could really use the ability to filter by shop, that would be extremely helpful when your search term is broad and brings up too much stuff. I really, *really* want multi-filter abilities in-cove, for example being able to sort least happy *plus* lowest level, to easily see what mortals need feeding the most (speaking of which, I'd really like an 'adult' filter, showing all adult creatures regardless of stage, because just filtering for stage 4 leaves out all the creatures with less evolutions).