Looking for an opinion :)

in Chit-Chat

Female
585 posts

duckduck • 23 December 2016 at 9:46 PM

Hello! 😊 I'm entering a sewing competition through my college that is competing nationally, but I'm not really sure what to enter. I've narrowed down to two dresses, but I think that I'm pretty biased haha. I'd love it if anyone has time to check them out and give me an opinion on which he/she prefers 😊

Please be honest with any criticism! Trust me, I can handle it haha. I would actually prefer negative feedback so as to know what to improve upon in the future 😊

So the first dress is just a simple taffeta dress with a lace overlay that I finished earlier this year:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vj8jrl&s=9

And the second is also taffeta, and I had extra time so I also made a jacket to pair with it:
http://tinypic.com/r/292l26r/9

I would deeply appreciate it if anyone has time to let me know what he/she thinks I should enter, and any possible criticism in either. Thank you, and Merry Christms ❤️

Deleted • 23 December 2016 at 10:17 PM

@duckduck

Holy cow.

These are really pretty! 😃 Personally, I'm the type of person who likes brighter colors, but these are still AMAZING. 😸 ❤️ 😃

I mean, shoot, I could not do this. xD Drawing, sure, dresses, nope. 😋

I'd love to see something a bit brighter in colors, but that's me, being someone with an energetic and imaginative personality. 😱
But they are gorgeous. ❤️

Keep up the good job!!! 😃

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 24 December 2016 at 12:45 AM

@duckduck
Does the competition have requirements? I do enjoy the second dress more as it's something I would LOVE to wear!

My gosh, both do look amazing, you should be VERY proud.

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 24 December 2016 at 1:39 AM

@duckduck

I like the first one, but it wouldn't be something I would wear. I have a lot of friends that I know would definitely love it though.

The second one isn't my taste, I think it looks a bit like something you could get from a thrift store.

However, they both look professionally made. I'm sure there are many girls out there that would love it, but it's just not my taste.

(:

Female
246 posts

crazyfeline • 24 December 2016 at 7:56 AM

@duckduck wow, you've got talent!!
I love the first one!
They look so professionally made, but The first one is so pretty!!

Female
585 posts

duckduck • 28 December 2016 at 10:22 PM

Wow, thanks everybody! I honestly wasn't expecting to get this many replies. This made my day ❤️

@demons
Thank you! I'm actually working on a dress right now that's bright blue, but haven't seen made too much progress so far with Christmas and everything haha. ❤️

@mastergemma
Yes, there are actually two different categories I can enter: the first in Single Garment or the second in Coordinated Outfit. Each meet the requirements for their respective categories 😊 Thank you so much, I honestly don't know what to say. You are too sweet ❤️

@bunnyshadow
Haha yeah, they aren't things that'd I'll be wearing too often, probably only for the competition 😊 I know I should make more casual stuff because I'd actually be able to wear it, but dresses are so much fun to make xD For the second one, I really regret the fabric I bought for it. At the time I thought it might give off a 1950s vibe, but now it just looks tacky with the sewing pattern. Thank you for taking the time to look, I really appreciate it! ❤️

@crazyfeline
Thank you so much! I think I might be a little biased because the first one was such a pain in the butt because of all the French seams I had to do for the lace part, but my classmates prefer that one too. Thank you so much! Have a great New Years! ❤️

I just wanna say thanks again to everybody who posted. You all are so sweet to have taken the time to do this for me. Happy New Years! ❤️ ❤️

Female
4,265 posts

izziebee1017 • 29 December 2016 at 11:53 AM

@duckduck

Wow! You are talented! ❤️ I personally prefer the first one, because it's closer to something I'd wear, but both are amazing! Whichever you choose, I hope you do great!

Female
173 posts

soprano • 30 December 2016 at 3:12 AM

@duckduck
Oh my god they both look amazing!! You're so talented 😃

I think the first one looks better, but the second one is something I would be more likely to wear compared to the first one. It's probably because of my age 😋

I don't really know if I can decide which one right now because there isn't much information about the competition.

If the competition is about designing a dress for younger girls (child/teenager), the second dress would be more suitable. If it's about designing a dress for slightly older girls (adults), the first one would suit it more.

If details are quite important in the competition (can hugely affect the mark or is mainly judged on it), the first one is better. And if there is a theme, the first one would suit it if it's more formal, and the second would suit it if it's more casual/trendy.

Welp I just blabbered there. Hope it helps 😋