I need to convince my parents to get me a cat.

in Chit-Chat

Female
1,096 posts

leopardclaws • 31 July 2011 at 6:55 PM

My parents told me that the only possibility that we could get a cat is if we declaw it! I'm not going to be cruel. At first I was hmm ok but then I went to www.declawing.com and read the article there. I'm NOT going to get a declawed cat. But my heart aches for a cat. Every day I hear about how people have either a cat or a dog or both. And since I'm terrified of dogs that's not an option even though my parents and sister would rather have a dog.
Ok so heres the deal, my sister, she loves cats too, just not as much as me, she's more of a dog person. My Dad, is a tough nut to crack, if the decision were up to him, I would be hopeless. He's a total dog person. He has nothing against cats, he just think they're lazy all their life. True, some cats are lazy, but the kind of cats I'm thinking of are energetic, Egyptian Mau, Singapura, exc. My Mom makes the final decision. She likes Cats and Dogs both the same but she says we're more likely to have a dog because you can keep them in a crate or outside for a whole day if needed.

Please post so I can post the rest, I exceeded the post length ☚ī¸

Female
4,589 posts

crescentfeather • 31 July 2011 at 6:56 PM

Oh, I love cats ❤ī¸ Good luck!

*stalks thread for good hints on how to get me a cat* 😸

3,562 posts

cafe • 31 July 2011 at 6:57 PM

Google softpaws

Deleted • 31 July 2011 at 6:57 PM

@leaporadclaws If you get a cat already declawed...

Female
1,096 posts

leopardclaws • 31 July 2011 at 6:57 PM

I had her convinced and she agreed to get 2 kittens in (2010) October in September I cried tears of joy, I told all my friends that I was getting to kittens in October. In October my heart cracked. My Mom told us that we're not getting kittens. What made it even worse was that I saw the pictures of the 8 little kittens we could get. They were the most adorable little furballs in the universe. But that didn't stop me, I could feel there was still hope. I beg for a cat at least twice a week (if I did it every day that would cause problems) and today I watched some videos and told my mom about all the different cat breeds that would be perfect for our family! She told me this, "The difference between having a cat and a dog is that you can lock the dog in the crate or have them outside using electric fence. And it depends on the what mom, dad, and Sarah think. I just don't think we could do that," I ran back into the house crying. I'm still sobbing as I'm typing this. My heart is completely cracked open.
There's still more coming please post

3,562 posts

cafe • 31 July 2011 at 6:59 PM

Yo

Deleted • 31 July 2011 at 7:00 PM

At pet smart there is these nail things for cats that are like fake nails but they go over a cats nails so they wont hurt you if they scratch / cant ruin furniture

Female
5,813 posts

jazzyleia • 31 July 2011 at 7:00 PM

You could have an outside cat with one of those underground fences so they can't leave or something....they aren't much differen't than dogs (in my opinion)

3,562 posts

cafe • 31 July 2011 at 7:00 PM

@tomboy3603

Soft Paws :'D

Female
1,096 posts

leopardclaws • 31 July 2011 at 7:00 PM

I love cats so much love isn't a strong enough word, there could never be a strong enough word to describe my love for cats for my love for cats is stronger than any word in the world.
I need a plan, to get a cat. Anything you can over me, advice, website, articles, videos ANYTHING, will help.

Some things you should know:
1. I live in a wooded area where a cat would get eaten, must be an indoor cat. (and a Savannah is out of the question.)
2. Only short hairs that don't shed to much. (sphinx is out of the question)

Ok thanks! That's the end 😊

@bluegirl80 yes, I guess so but I'm planning on getting them as kittens and not many kittens are already declawed
@cafe nice! I'll show this to my parents and search reviews!

Deleted • 31 July 2011 at 7:02 PM

At pet smart there is these nail things for cats that are like fake nails but they go over a cats nails so they wont hurt you if they scratch / cant ruin furniture

Deleted • 31 July 2011 at 7:03 PM

@leopardclaws well search kittens up for adoption in_____ <-- your town or place nearest you.) and show your mom from there.

3,562 posts

cafe • 31 July 2011 at 7:04 PM

My mom has said the same thing about cats cause my current two [We have 12 pets, but 2 cats] we have tear up her door. She offered declawing and I, as the future vet, put my foot down and told her no.

I want to foster kittens, whom if enough people aren't there to feed ed everyone, will most likely be put down, and me being who I am, will not and am not letting the situation go.

So, I've looked around myself. Softpaws, in a human terminology, are like fake nails. But, they're not sharp. They go over the nails and keep the cat from scratching. When my two pass on [I hope for not a long time] I'm going to press for a cat to keep and throw the soft paws on the table.

Deleted • 31 July 2011 at 7:04 PM

Soft Paws :'D
-x-
Got to get them for my cat 😊 Also they are 15$ at pet smart, have fun with your new cat if you get one

Female
1,096 posts

leopardclaws • 31 July 2011 at 7:04 PM

Sorry guys gotta log off for the night bye bye

3,562 posts

cafe • 31 July 2011 at 7:05 PM

@leopardclaws

http://cgi.ebay.com/20pcs-Nail-Caps-Dog-Cat-Claws-1-tube-adhesive-/280703281188?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var;=&hash=item870cd51543#ht_3747wt_934

I just bought two of these, one for my female and one for my male

I'll tell you how they work :]

1,903 posts

petpet55 • 31 July 2011 at 7:16 PM

@leopardclaws

Softpaws look awesome 😊

Well since you got an house, space wouldn't be a problem.. Cats are also pretty easy to take care of and aren't as socially dependable as dogs, meaning you don't need to spend 100% of the day with them. Some cat's behave like dogs (Maine Coon, but it's long haired so I guess that isn't an option.) If you are financially stable family, nothing prevents you from getting a dog AND a cat. I know you are terrified of dogs, and I feel for you because I'm not so cool around them either. However if dog is being kept outside in a pen and hangs around with rest of the family members it might not pose too much of a problem.. Try getting some shelter ads, all those abandoned kitties and such must soften their hearts. Go to library, take some Cat care book, show that you are really serious about it. It might take a while but if you persist and are serious about it and doing a constant research you will show your parents that you are responsible 😊 I would suggest to refrain from begging such as "I want a cat please please please" and all. Spend enough time on browsing cat care articles, shelter adds and maybe even try finding cheapest cat equipment deals. If you keep on it for a month or so, I'm sure they'll give in.

Hope that helped at least a bit 😊

I feel for you, I want a cat as well, but sadly space is big problem in my case. Someday, I'll own Maine Coon thou. 😊

Female
1,096 posts

leopardclaws • 1 August 2011 at 12:08 PM

@petpet55 Maice Coons are one of the biggest breeds of domestic cats! Thanks for the advice, think I'll do that seems better than begging! More productive too!
@cafe are they actually easy to put on? And do they really stay on for 4-6 weeks? Is it worth the money?

Female
805 posts

scarlettsong • 1 August 2011 at 12:29 PM

@leopardclaws
What about a Singapura? They are short-haired, lovable, tiny, and so cute. They are my second favorite breed of cat, after the Turkish Angora. They act like dogs, and thrive on attention and love.
If your family is still hoping for a de-clawed cat, show them article you read. Also, I suggest showing your parents pets on petfinder.com or a adoption site.

Female
1,096 posts

leopardclaws • 1 August 2011 at 12:32 PM

@scarlettsong yes that is too my 2nd favorite breed of cats. They're oh-so lovable! It's hard to show my mom things but I'll show my Dad. My Mom is threating to block my email if I keep sending her cat stuff.

Female
805 posts

scarlettsong • 1 August 2011 at 12:33 PM

@leopardclaws Hope I helped 😉

Female
4,377 posts

carnatate • 1 August 2011 at 12:35 PM

My parents forced my cat to be declawed she wasn't even ripping anything I eel sorry for my kitty Daisy (shes on my lap now*

Female
6,239 posts

redstar-fireclan • 1 August 2011 at 12:47 PM

@leopardclaws
My kitten, Fire, has claws, my mom said to get them declawed and I'm like "NOOO! I love play-Fighting with him! idk if I get cut!"
Yes, I know it's not natural.
So, you can try that.
Say "No! I want to play with him/her (like with a mouse or something)!"
Try that..
hope it helps!
Fire still has not be declawed.
Oh, and if you don't want a loud cat, DON'T get a Siamese. They meow ALLL day and night Dx.
Fire is a Siamese and a Aysmian mix. It's called a Ocicat. They are quiet as a mouse. 😊

3,562 posts

cafe • 1 August 2011 at 1:11 PM

I have two Turkish Angoras. They are amazing ;D

And I'll tell you when I get them [They're coming from china]

Female
113 posts

polk • 1 August 2011 at 1:18 PM

@petpet55 It's a good idea! Must work better if your dada doesn't HATE animals...

Female
4,589 posts

crescentfeather • 1 August 2011 at 1:20 PM

*kitty ❤ī¸s*

I AM SO GOING TO SHOW THIS TO MAI MOM.

Female
144 posts

zebra101 • 1 August 2011 at 1:26 PM

hope u get some cats 😃

i have 2 named max and fluffy but fluffy isnt even fluffy 😃
and all max does is lay on the couch and sleep all day and if u try to move him he claws u 😋 hes evil 😃

Female
9,371 posts

taffy789 • 1 August 2011 at 1:46 PM

We have 3 outside cats at my dad's house, since it's more like a field and a small road.
In the past years, only two of the cats died, (one recently because it was hit by a car)
and one almost died from a mysterious animal attack.
If you want your cats to be house cats, that's going to be pretty hard (Especially with male cats)unless they are usually calm, quiet cats.

3,562 posts

cafe • 1 August 2011 at 1:48 PM

@taffy789

All the cats I've had, male and female, are pretty easy inside [Except one who kept peeing on everything. He ended up outside]

Just fix them ;D

Female
9,371 posts

taffy789 • 1 August 2011 at 1:50 PM

@cafe - yes, I was going to add that. The fixing past XD