Site Suggestion: Earn/Gain EC after a post

in Site Feedback & Ideas

1,562 posts

shelby • 10 May 2013 at 8:06 AM

I was hesitant to suggest this, as I know people will say "it would encourage spam", but before saying this, please read through the entire post.

I was thinking, it would be nice if we could earn EC🪙 after we post a comment in the Forums. Or after we post a new topic.
Now, I know you might think this would create spam, but, here's the thing, spamming isn't allowed. Therefore, if people spam, the post would get reported and removed. Therefore discouraging spam. If the post doesn't move the conversation forward, it's spam and should be reported to discourage people from spamming.

>Input from Chapus2009<
A minimum character per post to earn EC🪙
While the actual character minimum would be up to the Egg Cave Staff, my thoughts would be around, 300-500 characters. This might sound like a lot, but it's actually not.

Questions I anticipate will be asked:
>How much EC🪙 would we earn per post?<
This is not up to me, as I am not a member of the Egg Cave Staff, but my thoughts were it should be a random amount, similar to feeding. 90-120 EC🪙 earned per post.
Possibly a little more for posting new topics.
>Would we earn more on Double Feed Day?<
Well, no. I wouldn't think so. Since posting isn't feeding. 😋
>What about the Games Forum, would we get EC🪙 for posting there?<
Again, this wouldn't be up to me, but I was thinking: no. That forum is basically an approved spam forum. Since they're games. 😋 So no EC🪙 would be earned for posting in there, just like you don't earn post count there.
>What exactly is spam though?<
I realize some people may not fully understand what spamming is.
You can read The Forum Rules for what spam is.
>What would happen if people spam, but still got EC🪙 from the spam post?<
That's not up to me. Sorry.
>How would this benefit the site?<
This would help encourage users to be more active in general and in the forums more.

Well if you have more questions, ask.
If you support, please say so.
I'll keep a record of how many supports/non-supports there are.

Supports: 8
Non-supports: 1

#sitesuggestion

Female
9,796 posts

chapus • 10 May 2013 at 8:09 AM

@shelby Hm, sounds like a good idea in general. Maybe you would need a certain amount of words to gain EC? I mean, if you post a comment with only three words, it's not really a comment. I would guess maybe a minimum of around 75 words would be good. Or maybe 100 words, but thats up to you. x3 And also this will help the massive RPers, like me, who spend more time posting on the Forums. I also like that you included that people do not earn EC by posting on the Forum games.

1,562 posts

shelby • 10 May 2013 at 8:17 AM

@chapus2009;
Oh yes a minimum character/word to earn EC🪙 would be good.
Because if you're just posting something like "Hey what's up!" it's not really...a contributing comment [at least in my opinion].
While the actual minimum would be up to the Staff, I'll suggest a number.

Thanks. I was rather hesitant to post this, but I think over-all it would benefit rather than hinder.
I know on another website I frequent, you gain site currency through posts, and I thought it would be nice to have that here. I think it helps generate more activity.

Pings:
@katelyn @spirithawk @glados @amelie

Female
9,796 posts

chapus • 10 May 2013 at 8:21 AM

@shelby Yup, I agree. c: Well, good luck with your idea, but for the moment I'm pleased with it. 😊

1,562 posts

shelby • 10 May 2013 at 8:32 AM

@chapus2009;
I'm glad I could please you. -bows head-
Just got to keep it active and such and see what happens.

@dragonii @nasyiaxm @squijum01 @7731826

Non-binary
2,849 posts

luv • 10 May 2013 at 8:53 AM

@shelby
I think it would have to be more than 50-100 characters, 'cuz that's pretty small. For example, I shouldn't get EC from this comment. If it was longer, maybe, but not right now.

Deleted • 10 May 2013 at 9:00 AM

@shelby

This sounds good. c: I really like it!!!!!

1,562 posts

shelby • 10 May 2013 at 9:01 AM

@luv;
That was a mere suggestion, I can make it more.
There's no guarantee it will be the number I choose, since I'm not the staff. They could make it as little as 10 characters or as many as 1000.
I will, however, suggest a higher number.
I thank you for your input.
❤️

Deleted • 10 May 2013 at 9:12 AM

@shelby
Mmmmh, I think there are some sites that use this feature too, and it's really nice. There would be the spam problem, how you said, but with a good rule-knowing and with moderators preventing this all would be useful and simple. So, I agree with that. Also, I really like the rules, them would make this fair. ❤️

So ... I support! 🪙

1,562 posts

shelby • 10 May 2013 at 9:45 AM

Yay support.
❤️
Thanks.

I ping the people randomly:
@amelialightwing @evolutary @siberian @luvmykids244 @dramatic

Female
677 posts

amelialightwing • 10 May 2013 at 9:51 AM

@shelby hmm it sounds interesting but I'm not sure

Deleted • 10 May 2013 at 9:54 AM

@shelby For people like me who spend all of their time roleplaying and hardly ever feed even their own cove, it would be very helpful!

SUPPORT!

Female
148 posts

siberian • 10 May 2013 at 9:55 AM

@shelby
Though spam isn't allowed, I think it would be harder for moderators to supervise the Forums with a lot more people posting just to earn EC. Because there will be a lot people that will post just to earn EC.
It's an interesting idea, though I believe it could be created more ways to encourage feeding creatures instead of posting.
I remember when we had the last Halloween event, when we earned seeds through feeding to trade for Halloween LEs. That time was when my creatures evolved the most - more people feeding and doing feedback. More activitity on playing 😊

1,562 posts

shelby • 10 May 2013 at 10:05 AM

@amelialightwing
I'm sure there's going to be hesitation, I was hesitant to suggest it.
@dramatic
Thanks!
@siberian
That's why people should be helping to report. Also if need be, Ian can open up applications and hire 1 or more mods. Also the minimum character requirement to get EC🪙 is a plus. Some people will post short comments, therefore not earning EC🪙. If people have to put more thought into posting longer responses, it's going to be contributing rather than spamming.

Also it's possible Ian would make more double feed days, I did suggest it to him. He said he would consider. So that wouldn't discourage feeding creatures.
Though I like your input!

Female
677 posts

amelialightwing • 10 May 2013 at 10:11 AM

@shelby heheh yeah I'll think about it then come back to you with a positive answer for you

Female
148 posts

siberian • 10 May 2013 at 10:15 AM

@shelby
Yea, that's why I told it's an interesting idea 😊 The mechanism IS very considerable indeed.

No, EC earn for posting wouldn't discourage feeding creatures, I didn't said that or wanted to mean that. I just think, in my opinion, that would be a priority to make more activities in game than in forums when talking about EC.

I, particularly, won't support this time, but you are right to post your idea here and should be recognized for that!

Deleted • 10 May 2013 at 10:18 AM

That would be a hard job for the mods. They might be busy with their real lives, etc. and might not have time for deleting the spam messages etc. It would increase the amount of spambots, but recruiting new mods solves the problem xD

Female
3,546 posts

spirithawk • 10 May 2013 at 4:18 PM

@shelby I think this is a good idea. We should have another way to earn EC besides feeding. 😊

Deleted • 10 May 2013 at 4:35 PM

@shelby

I support this idea. It'd make the forums a lot more active and fun to go through and people who RP more than they feed would still be able to earn some 🪙 .

1,562 posts

shelby • 10 May 2013 at 6:57 PM

@siberian
Ah I see your point regarding games. It would be nice to see those.
I like your input and thank you for it.
❤️

@frosted
I don't necessarily see it as hard. As moderators on a website, it's my understanding they are suppose to get on a certain amount of time each day or lose their position. I do not know if that is true here or not though.
While it might encourage people to start spamming, if they start getting warnings and possible temporary bans, that would make them stop.
And if they need more moderators, they can just hire them.
So all issues solved. 😋

@spirithawk @whitescales
Yes I was thinking that.
While we do have the Site Trivia and Alkub Racing, you aren't guaranteed to win or have the right answer. This way, you will still get a little EC🪙 and it's ensured, unless you don't have a long enough post.
My other hope was that this would help encourage those who aren't posting in the forums to come and be active.
I think this would help generate more activity on the website in general and in the forums. It would benefit the site and everyone if there were more activity.

Deleted • 10 May 2013 at 10:29 PM

@shelby

I agree with you there.
I also think that the more people that are active on the forums, the friendlier the place will be. Not that it isn't or anything, but I think that if more people get on the forums and are friendly then more people will be friendly back.

Maybe they could consider separating out the forums a little more so that topics don't get lost and buried so easily.

For example Creature Trading could be divided further into Seeking Creatures and Selling Creatures. I think it'd make it a lot easier to find what you're looking for if they did that.

Female
314 posts

firegirl • 10 May 2013 at 10:35 PM

@shelby I support this!

1,562 posts

shelby • 11 May 2013 at 9:30 AM

@whitescales
I was hoping there could be sub-forums attached to the main forums to help separate and organize the site more, but I'm sure that would take time and more coding.

Maybe soon that will happen, though.
😊

@firegirl
Thank-you!

Female
4,807 posts

karamel • 11 May 2013 at 10:11 AM

@shelby I'm neutral on this. I think the forum is a place to make/chat with friends and other users, not to earn things. Just like CC, I don't think it was made for this purpose.

If it's implemented, I'd definitely like a character limit and a smaller payment (smaller than the EC we get from feeding).

[Also, on sub-forums - it doesn't take much time because all the sections follow the same layout. That's besides the point, though.]

@whitescales Even if we get more posts, that doesn't necessarily mean people will be more friendly. Quality over quantity is all I'm going to say. 😉

@frosted Spambots don't spam for perks on a site (like EC) - they spam for things like advertising. Bots are different from users. 😉

1,562 posts

shelby • 11 May 2013 at 11:23 AM

@karamel
I agree that the Forums are a place for chat, but not a lot of people want to come post in the forums.
I know some people have limited time to come online, and maybe they want to post in the forums and be social, but they need to spend their time earning EC🪙 for say Tim's. Therefore they don't come post in the forums.

This would give people another option in earning EC🪙 and give them some more reason to come be social.
I also know a lot of people are shy or hesitant, again this would give them a reason to come and try to be social.

Also if they're going to be making two Cave Monthlies that cost EC🪙, we're going to need more ways to earn/make EC🪙, and this would be a good addition.

But I still think it shouldn't be a lot of EC🪙 and there should be a minimum character requirement to actually gain the EC🪙
Maybe they could do 10-20 EC🪙 per post with a minimum character length. I'm not sure what character length would be good, that's kind of all up to the Staff.