Deleting old, inactive users

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Female
4 posts

sweetpinkblood • 16 August 2011 at 5:26 AM

I agree =)
I a good idea.Old inactives acconuts make the management of site a little dificult x-x

Female
1,079 posts

mangyrawr • 16 August 2011 at 5:44 AM

THIS IS NOT ABOUT THIS TOPIC.....
WHY DOES EVERYONE MESS UP MY NAME โ˜น๏ธ XD lol

9,386 posts

smilies • 16 August 2011 at 5:52 AM

@mangyrawr Lol, sorry xD Feel sorrier for Lwarlen though xD

This topic made me think so something:
Would you hate it if instead of dying pets were taken to the adoption center?
Because of the Trade center nothing's ever in the AC but a few junks....
Plus, it would only be pets under lvl 2000, so not onnys and stuff. Unless this topic goes forward, then it could be deleted user's pets too ๐Ÿ˜Š
Opinions?

Female
2,115 posts

dionaea • 16 August 2011 at 6:43 AM

@smilies
I've thought of something like that too for the deleted pets, but more along the lines of somekind of lottery, where rares would be given out in the same amounts as there have been deleted ๐Ÿ˜Š

I wouldn't mind if all dying pets/deleted pets would be taken to the adoption center, though I think they should get a randomly generated new name, to prevent pestering by the old owners (hardly anyone keeps track of egg numbers). Also this makes older names available again, so you make more than one person happy. The one who gets the pet & the one who finds out that name they've wanted is free, plus if you make a small mistake you don't automatically lose the pets name as well, you may be able to take it back, so nothing changes for the people whose pet dies (names can also be very important and currently if your pet dies you can reclaim the name).

And to all those who are going to go "what about the rarity?!?", it doesn't make a difference AT ALL, since there will be no new pets.

EDIT: Maybe generating a new egg number is better too.

@mangyrawr
Sorry, typo, I know what your username is ๐Ÿ˜Š

Deleted • 16 August 2011 at 7:23 AM

I think proposing the idea of deleting old users that quit just because you people want the name is rude๐Ÿ˜‹ And besides, dos that mean once isis and everyone else in the process of quitting finally leaves, you want their accounts gone so you can take their name? Some people quit and actually like to KEEP some of their most precious pets like my friend @Jolly_Rancher If people WANTED their accounts deleted, they'd ask like @Pachi89 [account no longer here] Yes, i agree the accounts that are just created then forgotten are annoying, but the older mmbers that were here for awhile dont deserve to just be thrown in the dust๐Ÿ˜‹ And what if they decided to come back? What if ian had deleted @peppermintcowboy? They wouldve been heartbroken to see whe they came back their account was deleted!๐Ÿ˜‹ and I dont think iv seen @Ian complaining about this too much๐Ÿ˜‹
@smilies id agree with that but i still dont enjoy this idea that much๐Ÿ˜‹
@dionea my friends pets raffled away!? Theyd be furious!

Just saying my opinionss here people!^^"

2,250 posts

nogardragon • 16 August 2011 at 9:44 AM

I agree with this ๐Ÿ˜Š

Female
4,377 posts

carnatate • 16 August 2011 at 10:12 AM

I agree ๐Ÿ˜‹

Female
6,833 posts

whitefall • 16 August 2011 at 10:27 AM

I think to own an EggCave account, you have to come on once every 6 - 8 months. If you don't, your account will be deleted.

That way, if you're going on vacation, you won't have to worry about you account being deleted.

I suggested this idea to Ian a while ago. ^^
But the eggs get deleted too. Some people like the idea of the eggs going to AC, but that could cause trouble...

Like someone could hack into their friends' accounts and delete their account, and wait for their eggs to come into the AC....

Female
2,307 posts

lizardfeather • 16 August 2011 at 1:51 PM

@whitefall Well I think it needs a bit higher margin, maybe like 1 year of inactivity? Or at least an option like "extend my inactivity margin x months" if you're going on like a very long hiatus or something ^-^

Female
2,302 posts

metaphor • 16 August 2011 at 2:06 PM

I approve.
Especially since pets that are fully evolved can't die now, and I know there are many fully evolved creatures on accounts of people who have gone for good. Yeah, I know this is coming from one of eggcave's biggest name hogs and all, but...why let it sit and rot with someone who's probably never coming back when someone who is active really wants it and would put it to good use? Sure, maybe I'm a bad person, but I don't really think it's at all rude? It's just how it works. If you're not active, why would it matter to you anyway? It's not like anyone is stopping you from making a new account anyway.๐Ÿ˜‹

Female
6,833 posts

whitefall • 16 August 2011 at 2:11 PM

Well, I suppose we won't need anything like this, until we need really bad usernames like on Neopets...

EXAMPLE:

Fish not available.
Other available:
aaa_01_fishie_oo
fish------01
fishfishfish-0989

Okay, sorry that was random. ^^;

Female
2,302 posts

metaphor • 16 August 2011 at 2:13 PM

And just for the record, I'm not talking about those long-time users who choose to go on a long hiatus. I'm talking about those that stay for no more than a day, get an impressive collection of names, and then leave (no feeds or anything).

22 posts

dio-chan • 16 August 2011 at 2:18 PM

@icicle_9510

Your friends won't get their account deleted if they log in once every 11 months if this proposal is accepted, is that really too much to ask?

@whitefall

I don't think hack-delete-snatch would work, I tried to get a pet I abandoned back but it was "missing" for at least several hours (aka just gone o.O), I found it the day after in someone's cove. It's not that I mind losing the pet, I just think it's gotten harder to predict when pets will appear in the AC than it was in V1

Deleted • 16 August 2011 at 2:24 PM

@dio-chan they dont WANT to log on every 11 months๐Ÿ˜‹ they WANT to keep their account, and not have it deleted๐Ÿ˜‹ If you really want your account deleted, then ian has you ask. My friend wants to keep it as a memory๐Ÿ˜‹ Some people when they quit like to keep their most closest pets as a memory. Even isis is keeping 4 of her pets. If you REALLY REALLY REALLY want a name, theas an example say Lilly, then make it -Lilly- ๐Ÿ˜‹ There's no problem with that.If you want the username Midnight, then go -Midnight- or something like that.

Female
9,371 posts

taffy789 • 16 August 2011 at 2:24 PM

@whitefall - That is going to be far off, I just renamed alot of my creatures, all good names.
I just had to be creative. ^^

1,655 posts

chatial • 16 August 2011 at 2:30 PM

I disagree.
I was inactive for over a year and now i'm back.
If this account was deleted I wouldn't be here

5,632 posts

linpug • 16 August 2011 at 2:31 PM

i dissagree too ๐Ÿ˜Š

Female
4,232 posts

meixiaotian • 16 August 2011 at 2:33 PM

yeah. i was inactive for a few months, but now im back and bigger than ever

Gender Fluid
3,907 posts

dreamer • 16 August 2011 at 2:39 PM

I agree! >.< I really want the username @Dani.

And 'inactive' as in people with no creatures, not many profile comments, or any of that. Except, I would be devestated if Squirrelvader was deleted.

Female
2,115 posts

dionaea • 16 August 2011 at 2:52 PM

@icicle_9510

Yes there is... It's ugly =.= Plus, even Neopets deletes really old unused accounts (wonder whether mine still exist :s)

Deleted • 16 August 2011 at 2:58 PM

@dionaea *is offended* i have many creatures with names that start with and end with -!๐Ÿ˜‹ And this isn't Neopets๐Ÿ˜‹
Anyways, im not going to sit here and argue it anymore, iv got stuff to do, tell ian if he goes through with this i said have fun going through over 30,000 users.... not to be rude but like you said its true, there's over 30,00 users^^"

Deleted • 16 August 2011 at 3:02 PM

Eh, i dont like this.

Look at @Spice she is inactive because of things and she has a Tine Egg and a bunch of nice rares, lets say this becomes real. *Ian comes by Spice's cove* *Deletes account* See what i mean?

Female
7,368 posts

cqpkytty • 16 August 2011 at 3:26 PM

i have an idea.

i know eggcave is only two years old, but it will last a really long time.

no users would end up being deleted anytime soon, but howabout if u were gone for 5 years without ONCE logging in, ur account would be deleted. Or 10 years. Maybe 15.
Just longer than a year or so. Because I was gone for a year - no profile pic, no creatures, etc., but I came back! But if I was gone for over 5 years, I would most likely not be planning to come back.

Female
4,232 posts

meixiaotian • 16 August 2011 at 3:31 PM

maybe 2 years. If your account was deleted, just remake it. Unless you have a good username.

Female
607 posts

magician1574 • 16 August 2011 at 3:34 PM

yeah i dnt agree

Female
134 posts

zinny • 16 August 2011 at 6:29 PM

No, What if in 5-10-50 years you want to come back? You know, to see what became of EggCave or to relive what you lived here, and you come back and this message pops up?

"User not found

This user does not exist. Perhaps you were directed here in error.

Click here to go home."

That would be really sad. โ˜น๏ธ Or if you find someone else has taken you spot? โ˜น๏ธ

Besides, I don't care if Neopets does this, one reason I'm not on Neopets is because it's not EggCave.

Female
916 posts

darcy_vasquez • 16 August 2011 at 6:30 PM

@ian this is a great idea!! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Female
377 posts

hvernon • 16 August 2011 at 6:31 PM

Yes!!