Anime/Manga Discussion Topic

in Entertainment

Female
2,301 posts

lykhaos117 • 23 July 2015 at 5:59 PM

I think there used to be a topic like this, though I think it died. If not, please report this... >_<

Anyway, this is for anime and manga fans to discuss their opinions, reactions, predictions, recommendations, reactions, theories, analysis, etc. with other fans on Egg Cave.

Please keep this PG, respect other people's opinions, and post spoiler warnings if applicable! You can do this by changing text color, bolding, putting lots of enters, parentheses, brackets, etc.

I'm currently watching Tokyo Ghoul, Mirai Nikki, Ouran Highschool Host Club, Durarara x2 Ten, Hetalia: World Twinkle, and Free: Eternal Summer (the dub; I've already seen sub). I also started the Kuroshitsuji manga, though I've already watched the anime. What's everyone else watching and/or reading? 😊

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 23 July 2015 at 8:14 PM

@lykhaos117
You wouldn't think that the topic would die since there's so many fans of manga/anime here.

Anime that I have watched includes Kino's Journey, Cardcaptor Sakura, Death Note, Dragon Ball Z, Black Rock Shooter, the first few seasons of Pokemon, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, SAO, pretty much all of CLAMP's anime, DanganRonpa, Itazura no Kiss, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Vampire Knight, Ouran High School Host Club and Full Metal Alchemist.

For manga all of CLAMP's work that I've read, +Anima, Servant of Evil, Chibi Vampire, Black Rock Shooter and many more.

I full-heartedly recommend CLAMP's manga as it's just so beautiful. Some of their works are for teenagers though so please be careful to what you pick up! +Anima is also a great read

I'm currently watching Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles but one of the later seasons and I'm watching Guilty Crown which is rather interesting.

Female
2,301 posts

lykhaos117 • 23 July 2015 at 8:34 PM

@mastergemma

Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood is my favorite anime because it not only has great characters, plot, art, and music but also is what got me into anime as a whole. ❤️

I also like the first few seasons of Pokémon yet haven't been watching it lately for various reasons. I still like to check on Bulbapedia every now and then to see if there're any new Pokémon released.

Death Note is very high on my To Watch List. One of my friends finished it recently and said it was very good. I also listened to a funny parody of it called "Blank Page" based on Taylor Swift's song "Blank Space." Here's the link if you're interested:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T0P4rVKrP-Y

And I'll add CLAMP manga to my To Read List. 😊

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 23 July 2015 at 9:09 PM

@lykhaos117
Read Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles last, it will be a pleasant surprise and it goes off Cardcaptors a little.

Oh man, I missed quite a lot of anime in my list, I guess I'll be editing it when I remember more names!

I've seen that and I absolutely love that parody! Death Note is probably my favourite manga out of all of them because of the story line and the morals. Both L and Kira are heroes in their own way and they are both enemies. And having the potato chip included in the song just makes it perfect!

I don't watch Black/White because I find the characters to be very annoying and dumber than Ash was in the first seasons (and that's saying something). Plus, I prefer the old art style.

I enjoyed Brotherhood a lot, I was absolutely hooked to the story, characters and the art style (and Ed's voice actor is my favourite).

Female
2,301 posts

lykhaos117 • 24 July 2015 at 7:12 PM

@mastergemma

Puella Magi Madoka Magica is also on my To Watch List. I'm normally not that into magical girl anime, though I've heard good things about it, and the cat thing (Kyuubei I think?) looks cute.

I haven't watched enough Black & White to make a firm judgement, though I agree that the old art style was better. From what I've seen of the newer seasons, what mainly bothers me is that Ash seems to forget most of his past adventures. My sister, who's more up to date with it, told me that he had forgotten some of his encounters with legendary Pokémon. I understand that it would be unrealistic for him to have a vivid memory of every single thing that happened to him, though forgetting encounters with legendary Pokémon just seems crazy (no offense intended to anyone who enjoyed the more recent seasons). I also miss Brock and Misty. ☹️

I was able to get Vic Mignogna's autograph on my Fullmetal Alchemist DVD when I saw him at a convention, which made me extremely happy. 😃

Female
2,211 posts

thedarkarcher • 25 July 2015 at 5:31 AM

@lykhaos117 hello I love watching naruto, bleach, fairy tail, inuyasha, pokemom, digimon, chibi vampire and much more

One anime that I love is one a lot of people haven't watched is bus gamer it's a really amazing anime about three fighters who are oppersite enter in this competition for money but the only problem with the series it's only three episodes long.

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 26 July 2015 at 12:08 AM

@lykhaos117
When you watch it, you will regret calling it cute.

Ash forgets everything about the past series but then remembers his friends! There was nothing more horrible then seeing Ash whip out a Pokedex to check what a Squirtle is. The dumb thing is, Team Rocket does have memories of their old Pokemon though so that's something.

But yes, forgetting about all of the legendary Pokemon is really annoying because it makes all the movies and all the seasons that aren't the current one pointless.

Oh his autograph, how cool! I really want to see him because he voices so many of my favorite characters! Zero, Dark, Fai, Tamaki and Ed! And all of those characters excluding one are blond! He's a casual celebrity attendent at one of the conventions that I can go to and one day I'm hoping to cosplay as a character he voices and then go get his autograph.

@cloud-n-bolts
I've read the manga for Chibi Vampire! Hmm, I think I'll try to track down that 3 episode anime, I prefer it when anime is short.

Female
2,211 posts

thedarkarcher • 26 July 2015 at 7:08 AM

@mastergemma great to know that you read chibi vampire so who was your favourite character. I watched the anime instead of reading the anime I kind of find it hard to get into a manga unless I am able to buy the book which I usually can't afford or find. I do recommend bus gamer if you like short anime though I do like longer because I have something to look forward to and watch when I'm bored.

Female
580 posts

splashnose • 29 July 2015 at 3:31 AM

@lykhaos117
I love anime and manga, especially Puella Magi Madoka Magica and all I can say is it may be confusing the first time around.

Other anime I've seen are Ouran High School Host Club, Hetalia, Sword Art Online, Vampire Knight, InuYasha, Naruto, Fairy Tail, Familiar of Zero, Little Busters, Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler), Shakugan no Shana, Spice and Wolf, Wolf's Rain, Angel Beats and Black Cat. (I don't think I've missed any)

I've read some manga, Puella Magi Oriko Magica, Kuroshitsuji, Angel Beats, Date a Live, Pokémon and Pokémon Diamond and Pearl.

We could make a club...

148 posts

wyvern2222 • 6 August 2015 at 5:12 AM

@lykhaos117
Have you started watching Death Note yet? I watched it a while ago. It was awesome. This is another parody of Death Note, but it's Spongebob. I think it's pretty funny. ^^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Q8Vhk5Qjc Between the protagonist and antagonist (which is which for this anime? I can't tell), I like L but prefer Light. However, it seems that popular opinion leans towards L.

My sister and I ( @erica2003 ) watched a lot of sports anime over the summer. We finished watching all of the Free!! series and moved into Haikyuu, Kuroko no Basuke, and Prince of Tennis. We really only started watching PoT because we saw some extremely weird clips of it on Youtube (I never knew a tennis match could include fire tornadoes, a tsunami, and flying...). We have yet to reach that episode (or movie).

Other anime I watched are Bleach, Code Geass (the art is questionable, but the plot is amazing), SAO (the first season was the best), FMA (both series; I prefer Brotherhood), Daily Lives of High School Boys, Kuroshitsuji, Junjo Romantica (shounen-ai), Sekaiichi Hatsukoi (also shounen-ai), Persona 4 (the first one, not the remake), Madoka Magica, Moon Phase, Ouran High School Host Club, Tsubasa (I was thoroughly confused by the series), and The Daughter of Twenty Faces. I tried to watch Naruto because my sister insisted, so I got through the first series but didn't watch Shippuden.

Male
1,393 posts

despair • 6 August 2015 at 5:26 AM

Did I hear...Fairy Tail? 😊

I'm falling in love with FT, it's amazing.

SAO, Hunter x Hunter, Soul Eater, DBZ are also another select few I like.

Never could get into Naruto, it was boring. Might need to try again. Same with One Piece, The characters look odd and the art is a bit...funky.

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 6 August 2015 at 5:38 AM

@wyvern2222
I can try and help explain Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles but yes, it is rather confusing at the end! Reading xXxHolic also didn't help and it just made TRC more sad. Tsubasa also defies quite a lot of logic too which doesn't help.

I do prefer L because I found him more likeable as a character and in the live action movie it was so sad how it ended.

148 posts

wyvern2222 • 6 August 2015 at 6:01 AM

@mastergemma
An explanation of the end would be appreciated. Thanks. I understand the basic premise of the anime (to collect the memory feathers) and that Syaoran and Sakura are actually clones, but why did the villain make Sakura's clone if the original was going to die from it? Did she actually die? Am I even remembering this correctly? And oh my gosh, what the real Syaoran did to Fai's eye... Fai is probably my favorite character from that series and then that happened to him. I only watched the anime; I have no knowledge of what happened in the manga.

I haven't touched xXxHolic at all, so I don't know anything about it other than that it is about a guy that replaces Syaoran's original destiny.

I haven't watched the live action movie of Death Note (although I think my mom did), but I have read the novels L: Change the World and Los Angeles BB Murder Cases. They were supposedly written because fans were disappointed with what happened to L in canon, so both L and Light's fates are different in the books. I enjoyed them. But the one time they mentioned L's full name in L: Change the World, they misspelled it. I don't know what I should say about that.

@despair
I watched Fairy Tail, but then I stopped in the Key of the Starry Sky arc. It got a bit dry for me there. I'm considering skipping that arc and just moving to the next one. The same with One Piece in the mermaid arc. The art is, admittedly, very weird for that anime.

Male
1,393 posts

despair • 6 August 2015 at 12:48 PM

@wyvern2222

Yeah, that arc is really bad. It gets better again after that one, though. Most people drop out right there lol

I've only seen a few episodes of One Piece.

Female
4,845 posts

newlife • 6 August 2015 at 7:41 PM

Currently I am ummm

Reading: Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches (caught up)
Tokyo Ghoul (~40 chapters in)
Some stuff not for kids (thanks to friend)
World Trigger (caught up)

Watching: FMA:B again, so many feels
World Trigger (waiting for it to stop airing, I watch it when no one is on the TV though)

I'm not really watching anything too big, I'm just lazily reading manga.

Female
785 posts

rustiscool • 6 August 2015 at 10:29 PM

@lykhaos117
If you like Ouran Highschool Host Club, i suggest you watch Fairy Tale. I say this because Natsu, one of the main characters in Fairy Tale, has the same voice actor as Hikaru.

Female
2,301 posts

lykhaos117 • 13 August 2015 at 2:23 PM

@cloud-n-bolts

I love Bleach so much! ❤️ I actually have cosplayed as Rukia and Orihime. Who are your favorite characters? 😊

@splashnose

Of the ones you've listed, I've seen Ouran, Hetalia, Kuro, Wolf's Rain, and Black Cat. Wolf's Rain was one of the first few anime I watched. ❤️ I also cosplay as Spain, though I tried to do a Romano once. I'm not really grouchy enough though. 😋

@wyvern2222

I've started it and am now addicted. ❤️ I'm around twenty episodes in, at the part where the theme song just changed (I preferred the old ones). I like both L and Light, though I lean a bit more towards liking L, probably because his odd habits amuse me. 😊 Sometimes, he can be a bit mean though... Light's also a bit mean, too... I also love Ryuk.

I find the perspective interesting because most murder mysteries show things from the detective's point of view, but DN stimulates our minds to think of how not to get caught, which makes it very unique in my opinion. 😊

I've also seen Free, Kuro, both FMAs (I like both, but Brotherhood more), Ouran, and Bleach. 😊

@rustiscool

I might when I have more time. I heard it's kind of long.

Female
785 posts

rustiscool • 13 August 2015 at 2:25 PM

@lykhaos117

Haha, yeah. I'm only on the 8th episode, but I love it. 😊

Female
2,211 posts

thedarkarcher • 13 August 2015 at 2:40 PM

@lykhaos117 oh that sounds so fun so do you cospaly with your friends then. My favourites would be Chad or renji it's quite hard for me to choice out of them. So how about you who is are your favourite character

Female
2,301 posts

lykhaos117 • 13 August 2015 at 5:20 PM

@newlife

FMA:B is my favorite anime. ❤️

@rustiscool

I got to meet Todd Haberkon at a convention. He's very nice. 😊

I've also seen some other anime he voiced in such as Hetalia and Soul Eater, plus a bit of Free and some of Magi.

@cloud-n-bolts

I mainly cosplay with my sister. 😊 We've done Spain and Chibiromano, Romano and Chibiromano, Orihime and Rukia, Sloth and Wrath (from the original FMA, not Brotherhood), and Hanji and young!Mikasa. The first ones are me, and the second ones are her.

And my favorite is Ulquiorra. ❤️

Female
4,845 posts

newlife • 13 August 2015 at 7:57 PM

@lykhaos117

It's hard to watch again. Especially with Nina. I started making very saddening jokes on Skype and all my friends told me to stop.
I told them to merge with me xD

Female
2,301 posts

lykhaos117 • 13 August 2015 at 9:10 PM

@newlife

I had to pause that episode to yell at my TV. I figured it out just as soon as Ed did...

Female
4,845 posts

newlife • 13 August 2015 at 9:13 PM

@lykhaos117

I already knew :'D
It was my 3rd time watching that scene
me: I would skip this episode but I need to suffer again

Female
115 posts

llamalou2 • 26 August 2015 at 12:39 AM

I love + Anima, Tsubasa Resivor,DN Angel, Vampire Doll, and Demon Diaries

Female
2 posts

magickat • 4 September 2015 at 7:29 PM

Uh, hi!
I just wanted to join in and talk with you guys. ^^
I haven't finished any series yet, because a lot of the ones I'm watching are long or still running, but I have finished at least one season on a few.
If anyone wants some suggestions for some amazing animes, I have a huge list of different types, and I'll gladly talk about any show with you guys. C:

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 4 September 2015 at 9:39 PM

@newlife
My friend started watching FMA and after that scene I just started cracking the jokes and showing her images of it. She absolutely hated me afterwards but it was hilarious! I still found that scene to be the worst in the whole series.

I would write some of the jokes but I cannot bring myself to type any!

@llamalou2
+Anima, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles and D.N.Angel ❤️

Have you seen the anime or read the manga for these? These are all very beautiful stories and I want to read +Anima again (maybe even make cosplays of some of the characters).

@magickat
What are you currently watching? I'm currently watching Attack on Titan and Guilty Crown.

Female
115 posts

llamalou2 • 4 September 2015 at 9:49 PM

@mastergemma

Yes I have read the manga for all of them

Female
4,845 posts

newlife • 4 September 2015 at 10:35 PM

@mastergemma
The scene is really hard to watch, but you can't help to crack jokes.
Especially at Hughes death.. lots of that one as well that's greaaaat.

Non-binary
1,318 posts

raccoon • 4 September 2015 at 11:07 PM

*pokes head in* I heard anime ovo

Last anime I watched was Assassination Classroom, super weird anime but gosh I couldn't stop watching. XD

Sports anime is my life though. (Even though exercise makes me cringe LOL)
Kuroko no Basket, Free!, and Haikyuu! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️
After I finish up the third season of KnB I think i'm gonna start on Yowamushi pedal. :>

My favorite anime of all time, in no particular order, are:
FMA (and Brotherhood)
Death Note
Free! (And Eternal Summer)
Haikyuu!
Magi (Both seasons ❤️)
and Tokyo Ghoul 😃 (Reading the manga as well~)

Hope it's ok for me to link this, its just a list of all the anime i've seen 😊

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/InsomniacRaccoon

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 4 September 2015 at 11:16 PM

@newlife
I can't crack a joke about his death, I liked him too much as a character.

@llamalou2
I've read the manga for TRC and +Anima and I watched the D.N.Angel anime. Dark's voice actor is my favourite!

Has anyone seen the new Attack on Titan live action movie yet? Did you like it? My sister saw it and her only comment was that it didn't follow the manga