Stop auction 'snipers'

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Female
165 posts

saphira1oo • 20 May 2016 at 9:05 PM

@flarrow
IKR cartoons are sometimes like that

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back to the main topic, I really have to say that I think sniping is a fundamental part in the auctions. As somebody already pointed out, you have to bid against other snipers, too.

Sniping in itself is a game. Snipers always have to choose when to finally place their bid - too fast, somebody can bid higher, too slow, the auction will end. Snipers sometimes bid really high amounts if they really want it, anyway, bcause many people are snipers - including me, but I'm completely open to other ideas 😊 ! Just ping me.

Female
69 posts

micheal_yvain_silver • 20 May 2016 at 10:00 PM

I have held about 6 auctions and all 6 the same person took them at the last second, it made me quite mad, , but I guess there's nothing to do

235 posts

shadowy_overseer • 23 July 2016 at 10:34 AM

I am a bit of an auction sniper myself, but at least I have a legitimate reason: I keep being outbidded because most auctions end while I'm asleep and this means I can't compete. I also don't bid too often.

Female
546 posts

candaline • 23 July 2016 at 4:04 PM

@chapus2009 I know what you mean 😸 I'm so excited that I one then it turns out someone else did! It's so annoying!

Female
218 posts

sek • 23 July 2016 at 10:12 PM

@chapus2009

I Typed this out on my profile again i hate it when that happens i have many users do that to me. another thing is it starts out at a fine price then someone decides to put like 200,000 ec on something and i don't have that kind of money. hopefully some people can bring this up to Eggteam so like when 1 minutes before the auctions closed so no one can out bid you. BUT there's an upside to snipering the person who put the auction out has increased amount of ec on the auction, so this is a difficult topic . like @shadowy_overseer they also do snipering because someone out snipered them. so again its a very ifie topic it depends on which side you are on the sniper side or the the person snipered on.

sorry about the long post😊

Female
1,218 posts

disneyland • 23 July 2016 at 10:52 PM

@chapus2009

Bid sniping is in any auctions anywhere. Nobody likes when it happens to them, but most people either do it or try to do it. Its unfortunate sometimes when you lose a pet to a bid snipe, but its also exciting when you get a pet you really want even if you did snipe it.

I don't find your opinion childish or anything, I can understand the frustration honestly because I'm sure all of us have lost something we really wanted to a snipe, and I'm no exception.

I honestly don't think that implementing that would change anything though if I'm understanding the concept correctly, because then it is still possible to keep track of how many times its happened and then bid last minute again when you know its the last one that wont increase the time. OR depending on how many times the time increases after a last minute snipe, it could make an automatic win for the other person, unless there are more than two people involved in the bid war. (Sorry if none of that made sense πŸ˜‹ Hopefully I explained it well enough)

I guess I just see bid sniping as an inevitable love/hate thing that we kind of have to deal with I guess πŸ˜‹ I'm guilty of it, but it also has frustrated me many times. I accept it because I've always seen it as a natural part of auctions...it's like that on many sites and things that I've been on.

Male
660 posts

veritaspunk • 23 July 2016 at 11:11 PM

@ami_utsukushii

I disagree ...

In "real life" say high end jewelry auctions ( I like gem stones so I tend to watch those often ) they set the auction amount to open and a time limit ... if two or three people keep bidding they don't extend time, they close it with the buyer that bid within the time ... their aim is to move product with as little time as possible time is money after all and they don't have all day or weeks to spend on one piece while neglecting others. At times they will say "last call" ... you have the opportunity at that moment to "speak up" and then going once, going twice - "sold" ...

I was recently outbid when I tried for a name in the auctions by another bidder that placed a higher amount at the last seconds of the auction. I could have won if I was willing to bid over what that person did but that "sniper" was willing to bid more with their last second bid than what I was ...

If you want to negotiate prices that's what the trade post is for. Auctions is for moving items in a timely function.

105 posts

maleficent • 24 July 2016 at 2:11 AM

Completely fair to snipe auctions cause it's available to all to do so. It's part of the fun and excitement imo. Works out for the person who put their creature (s) or name (s) UFA as well. Good option for people who hate to trade. I wished they would implement it for items as well.

Used to be an avid sniper and glad to gain some of the creatures/names I have that way 😊 Yes, I did lose a few as well so not 100% gurantee. I was willing to try tho.

There are people who are good at sniping, there are people good at the TS, trading and so on. It's just part of the game 😊 You win some and lose some.

Female
462 posts

megadash • 28 July 2016 at 4:16 PM

@chapus2009
I understand your frustration, but "auction sniping" isn't against the rules and is actually part of the challenge of auctions. You still have to:
1.) be there,
2.) offer more than the highest bid, and
3.) have a reasonably fast device & connection.

Trust me, we're all guilty of (at least) attempting to snipe and auction. There's nothing wrong with it. I've won and lost (mostly lost) in my attempts. It sucks, but it's not wrong and I'm not ashamed. It not like live auctions that keep going as long as people are bidding. People want their πŸͺ™ by a certain point. It you want to blame someone, blame them for not setting-up private auctions just for you. Sometimes, life sucks, and you can either sit and whine about it or you can say, "Shoot! Well, at least I can try again."

Again, I understand the frustration (no, I REALLY do) but, even if they added "x" seconds after the auction for you to try again, snipers would just calculate the hidden time and continue to snipe. You don't want to be "that jerk" that can't win by playing by the rules and gets huffy when he doesn't win only to add more rules until nobody wants to play with him. We hated that guy when we were little kids and we hate him even more today. Sniping adds a bit of skill and luck to the game.

Female
74 posts

blakes_mama2005 • 29 July 2016 at 10:54 AM

@chapus2009 This is a great idea... in the real world, we have a weekly online auction in my city that I participate in almost every week... it uses what's referred to as "soft closes", meaning the exact process you've described of adding time...

While I understand and agree with that it's unfair to those bidding who perhaps have slower machines, etc., what about the seller of the creature?

In my opinion, cutting off the auction while there are still willing bidders is, in a way, short-changing the sellers.