[CONTEST] Design a character!

in User Contests & Giveaways

Deleted • 4 July 2016 at 11:43 AM

Contest has been discontinued, sorry.

I will compensate those who bothered to read my previous first post, of course.

Female
29 posts

dreamy • 4 July 2016 at 11:43 AM

Entries

@prairie:
http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/clbr6117/media/Art Submissions/Dog Submission by Prairie_zps6q6eupcr.png.html?sort=3&o=0

Female
2,157 posts

prairie • 5 July 2016 at 10:00 PM

@poof, @dreamy

I always love an excuse to draw. 😸
Here you go!

http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/clbr6117/media/Art Submissions/Dog Submission by Prairie_zps6q6eupcr.png.html?sort=3&o=0

It can be a boy or girl, whichever you choose. 😊

Pangender
2,149 posts

sky • 5 July 2016 at 10:37 PM

Ooh, I'm very tempted, I'll try coming up with something to submit when I find the time to.

Deleted • 6 July 2016 at 3:32 AM

@prairie What a lovely character! Ill add your entry to the second post. 😊

@sky Looking forward to it! Ive seen some of your drawings and they're awesome ;D

Female
1,218 posts

disneyland • 6 July 2016 at 4:22 AM

@poof -

Any particular things you like to see in a character? Also, do you prefer animals or humans c: I would just like to get a feel for what you like before I go and design something c:

Deleted • 6 July 2016 at 4:26 AM

@faerie_eclair_mallow

*pokes things to remember section* I cant draw humans xD

I like furred characters, especially if they're not a species that actually exists. I prefer simple ones over complicated designs, as well.

Hope that helped a bit? ^^

Pangender
2,149 posts

sky • 6 July 2016 at 8:53 AM

@Poof
Out of curiosity, are we able to make it into a character/reference sheet? Such as including personality traits, gender and name for the submission?

Deleted • 6 July 2016 at 9:10 AM

@sky Of course, thats just fine! (And if the submission doesnt win, a ref sheet is easier for you too, in case you decide to sell or keep the character ;D)

Pangender
2,149 posts

sky • 6 July 2016 at 9:14 AM

@Poof
Thank God, I love making character ref sheets. x3

Female
1,188 posts

gymnastics001 • 6 July 2016 at 2:58 PM

@poof Working on mine now 😊 will be done in a tiny bit

Deleted • 6 July 2016 at 5:24 PM

@gymnastics001 Awesome, I cant wait to see it! ^^

Female
1,188 posts

gymnastics001 • 6 July 2016 at 7:57 PM

@poof https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wkl0BwCmCINLuSLIdYgwoFSr7AqtVoc-KWiz8LEcp6I/pub

*Sorry it's kind of blurry if I can get a better picture, I will 😊
Also I'm not a very good artist XD

Female
2,491 posts

leafmelody • 6 July 2016 at 9:30 PM

@poof
I'm sitting in front of a piece of paper now, thinking of ideas... XD (Not working 😋) How do you upload the pictures? 😱 (I've never uploaded one) If I can't upload it, I think I can't participate ☚ī¸

EDIT
Are we allowed to draw like real animals? 😱 I'm drawing a dog that's running right now! (I have to admit, it's creepy XD)

EDIT 2 XD
By personal use, do you mean like putting it up on a drawing website or something? 😱 (Sorry, I don't understand this stuff! DX)

EDIT 3
Like 4 hours later..
Still working on it! XD (With a few food breaks LOL) Is it alright if I use a image guide because I don't see dogs that often 😋 Do image guides count as cheating? (I didn't trace BTW XD)

Deleted • 7 July 2016 at 2:48 AM

@gymnastics001 Ill add your submission to the list, thank you!

@leafmelody Drawing real animals is fine, as long as its not just another labrador, for example. 😊 I am looking for original characters, something with a little bit of your imagination in it.

Using references is absolutely fine, sometimes a visual idea of what to draw helps a lot.

Personal use means that I claim the character as mine if you win, which basically means you dont get to call that particular design your own anymore. The right do give it a personality, name, design changes etc lies with me. Hope that helped a little. ^^

Here's an example of a character:
http://essieh.deviantart.com/art/Poof-566394522

As you can see, it is based on a dog but would never be seen in real life. His name is Poof and he has quite the joyful personality. He is able to float a little, because his neck and tail fluff is so light. Every one of his colors was picked to relate to the sky.

Speaking of characters, I just might add the option to draw one of mine instead. The only reason I didnt do so right away is because I have no refs of them, just tiny icons.

Female
2,491 posts

leafmelody • 7 July 2016 at 3:21 AM

@poof
Thanks! 😃 That helped a lot 😊 I'm drawing a German Shepard, although I'm /trying/ my best to make it realistic XD I prefer real over cartoon :/

Deleted • 7 July 2016 at 3:26 AM

@leafmelody Remember to add something that sets it apart from other german shepards ;D

A great example of a character would have to be prairie's submission, if you'd like an example~

Female
2,491 posts

leafmelody • 7 July 2016 at 3:28 AM

@poof
Sure! (I'll try my best X3) Although, I've already done the sketch, and halfway through the colouring... :/ I'll find something! 😃 I don't even know if I can submit yet, so... D: And I checked hers just then, it's great 😃 I do it on paper though! XD

EDIT
I don't think I can put it up sorry ☚ī¸ GL to the other contestants 😊 So sorry that I couldn't do it D:

Female
1,924 posts

reality • 7 July 2016 at 7:51 PM

@poof

http://s392.photobucket.com/user/panda9983/media/Mobile Uploads/1466658466684-800676559_zpsyitrktoc.jpg.html?filters[user]=145294458&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=7

I tried my best but there is still a few mistakes you may notice.😊

Female
1,257 posts

poptarts • 7 July 2016 at 10:57 PM

@poof

Can it be any animal? Do you want it to look realistic or cartoon like?

Female
3,201 posts

ushafuse • 8 July 2016 at 8:52 AM

@poof I'm too tempted.

Can it be anything I want, even something non-existent (because i'm working on some weird thing that doesn't quite look like a cat or rabbit)?

Female
452 posts

karakia • 9 July 2016 at 1:35 PM

@poof
Sounds cool ^-^ I might have to go make something ^-^

Female
1,257 posts

poptarts • 24 July 2016 at 10:00 PM

@poof When does the contest end? And can it be any animal? And do you want it to look realistic or cartoon like. (Sorry that I already posted this question not sure if you seen it yet)

Female
218 posts

sek • 24 July 2016 at 10:17 PM

I'm Tempted but i don't like the idea of people owning my drawing i had someone do that to one of my drawings and say they did it and took all the credit. i'll consider it. 😊

Female
1,257 posts

poptarts • 24 July 2016 at 10:30 PM

@poof Also would it hurt my chances if I don't color it? I am doing a drawing and dont have anything to color it with.

Deleted • 24 July 2016 at 11:16 PM

@panda9983 Im afraid the link doesnt lead to a drawing? :0

@poptarts Designing a character literally means you have the artistic freedom to create whatever you want. It can exist, it can be fantasy, it can have colors that would be possible in the real word or it could be purple with bright green spots etc etc... Everything is up to you.

Also, idk when Ill end the contest. I havent felt like doing much these past few weeks so it might be going on for a while yet.

@sek I would not actually own your drawing nor claim it as my own. Thats a very rude thing to do and I like to stick with my own art, thank you very much.

No, I would own the design you create if your entry wins. Say you draw me a dog, give it some markings, a bandana and a tail bauble. Give it a name too. Then I, and only I, would be able to draw her unless stated otherwise, and she would belong to me. Hope that clears things up a bit.

I would suggest that those who dont know what an original character/design means, to look up 'character ref' through deviantart's search function. Goves you a rough idea of what one is and as you can see, it can be anything you want it to be.

Female
218 posts

sek • 24 July 2016 at 11:17 PM

@poof
ok i will try and think of an creature for you

Female
1,924 posts

reality • 24 July 2016 at 11:29 PM

@poof

Sorry. I'm new at this so this may be the link: http://s392.photobucket.com/user/panda9983/media/Mobile Uploads/1467935077860-2112742630_zpsbmksxpvw.jpg.html?sort=1&o=4

Female
3,201 posts

ushafuse • 27 July 2016 at 5:52 AM

@poof Count me in, I'll submit your new fluffbutt by next week, I hope.

Edit:

Here it is: http://imageupload.co.uk/images/2016/08/06/20160806_202739.jpg

Sorry if it is blurry.

Female
1,257 posts

poptarts • 11 August 2016 at 6:18 PM

(Would of colored it but don't have anything to color it with X3)

http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/BloopBloopBloopBloop/media/Mobile Uploads/14709537399471894673217_zpsklqjcxcf.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0