Book Recommendations?

in Entertainment

93 posts

secreteggent • 4 March 2017 at 6:10 PM

Hello! I'm currently finishing the Raven Cycle series and am looking for new book to read. Are there any you guys would recommend?

Female
1,034 posts

momokie • 4 March 2017 at 6:13 PM

@secreteggent

Maximum Ride Series by James Patterson

Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Going Bovine by Libba Bray

Denton Littles Death Date

All of those I found extremely good reads c: ♡ Good luck!!

Female
2,301 posts

lykhaos117 • 4 March 2017 at 6:16 PM

@secreteggent

The Grisha Chronicles by Leigh Bardugo

The Gone series by Michael Grant

The Unwind Dystology by Neal Shusterman

Scythe by Neal Shusterman

A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin

Let me know if you have questions about any of these! ❤️

93 posts

secreteggent • 4 March 2017 at 6:23 PM

@momokie @lykhaos117

Thank you both so much! I'll definitely start looking into these. And omg Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children has actually been on my queue for a while now but for some reason I've been putting it off. I think now is finally time I get to reading it

Female
1,034 posts

momokie • 4 March 2017 at 6:50 PM

@secreteggent

The movie they made off the book was incredible as well and actually includes scenes from the second book ♡ The story of how he put the book together is also very interesting!

Deleted • 4 March 2017 at 7:17 PM

@secreteggent

Hmmm I can name a few

Stung by Betthany Wiggins
Cured by Bethany Wiggins
Reboot by Amy Tintera
The Gift by James Patterson
Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkien

😊

Female
1,589 posts

flowerlynx • 4 March 2017 at 7:43 PM

@secreteggent
Michael Vey series
The Beyonders
Ranger's Apprentice

Those are my favorites. You may/may not like them though.

17 posts

thegeek • 2 April 2017 at 11:20 AM

@secreteggent

Parasol Protectorate can be quite delightful, if you're into period writing.

Personally I find that anything by Jonathan Stroud or Garth Nix is good for fun.

Female
53 posts

carcharhiniformes • 2 April 2017 at 11:31 PM

@secreteggent I'm not sure if you're still open to suggestions, but I just finished a really good book in a fantastic series and I really wanted to suggest the series!

The series is called Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan; based off of J.R.R Tolkein's books and like your typical fantasy novel series. There are 14 books in the series and I just finished book 7; so far I am very happy with the books! If you like fantasy I highly recommend the Wheel of Time series!

1,558 posts

dragonii • 4 April 2017 at 6:57 PM

@secreteggent The Cirque Du Freak book series is a really good.

Deleted • 28 April 2017 at 11:01 PM

@secreteggent
Perhaps the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer or the Warrior cat series by Erin Hunter or maybe even The Streaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud.
@dragonii
Yeah, those books are awesome.

Female
1,395 posts

iris1929578 • 28 April 2017 at 11:32 PM

@secreteggent
Out Of My Mind (sooooo good can't get the author soooo sad)
The One And Only Ivan (who didn't read it? By Kathrine Applegate?)
The running dream
One of the Murphys

Male
1,736 posts

jello • 6 May 2017 at 8:46 PM

@secreteggent

Try The Giver Quartet

The Giver

Gathering Blue

Messenger

Son

Female
52 posts

0xid3li • 23 June 2017 at 10:32 AM

I'm also looking for some summer reads. 'You need to expand your vocab and speech' as my strict English teacher had told our class. Ish! Honors class will for sure be a pain in the butt. :<

I am currently starting the fourth book of the House of Night series by Kristin Cast and P.C. Cast. I am so mad at the mp btw haha. Genres I am looking to read are: fiction, science fiction, romance, travel, fantasy, realistic, tragedy, historical fiction, magical realism, dystopia, sci-fi. Just tell me if you want me to specify anymore! (hehe)

I am extremely into foreign novels like chinese, japanese etc (asian translated novels). Sorry if I am using the wrong term for it, but would reading these affect me positively relating to growth in any way? Examples would be novels from this website: http://www.novelupdates.com You can find my profile on there, it's the same as on EggCave. ♡

Female
2,301 posts

lykhaos117 • 23 June 2017 at 10:56 AM

@0xid3li

Read this book if you're okay with material that's long, dark, and philosophical:

http://shinsekai.cadet-nine.org

It's called Shinsekai Yori, which means "From the New World," and it's translated from Japanese. It's a dystopian sci-fi, but it's more "nature based" than technology based compared to other futuristic stories, and as a fan of that genre, it really stood out to me. It also relates to personal growth as it follows the characters from childhood to adulthood and examines how they process their society as they grow up. It also has an anime, if you're into that. 😉

I also recommend the Gone series by Michael Grant, which is basically a sci-fi Lord of the Flies. Since a major component of the story is about how kids can shape society in the absence of adults by assuming their responsibilities towards those around them, it also relates to growth. The adults vanish from the town for spoiler reasons, and the kids have to farm crops, take care of younger kids, prevent crime from delinquents, etc. (it's more exciting than that though)

The Unwind Dystology by Neal Shusterman is also great and somehow manages to be very political without ever taking a side. It takes place in the future where a war left society making unusual compromises like having teenage kids they don't want being sacrificed for organ transplants. It can tie into personal growth since a major theme is the trust (or lack of it) between teenagers and adults and how the flawed dynamics in society can result in the younger generation becoming activists for reform. The premise may sound weird, but it makes sense in the context of the series, and the scenario becomes disturbingly more plausible with each book. It can also be read as a standalone and is still very interesting and enjoyable that way, but the workings of the world as a whole are gone into much more detail in the later books.

Ender's Game (which is also part of a series but works excellently as a standalone) is also good, though while it does deal with personal growth, it is mainly about how child soldiers have their childhood ruined by the government, so I'm not sure how well it would apply to your theme. It also deals with the pressure adults put on gifted children by trying to push them to their limit, so perhaps you might be able to relate to it that way. It's about a talented boy named Ender who's enrolled in a school training children to be soldiers when he's only six since humans are at war with aliens and want their soldiers trained at an early age. The book also predicted the existence of tablets since it was written in 1985 and essentially described them.

Neither the Gone series, the Unwind Dystology, nor Ender's Game are Asian, though.

Hope this helps! ❤️

Female
52 posts

0xid3li • 23 June 2017 at 1:28 PM

@lykhaos117

Thank you for the recommendations! ♡ Although by growth, I meant to ask if reading the asian translated novels would help me grow in vocab/speech (improve knowledge somehow?) to know if it's worth the time. Don't get me wrong, they're amazing and in all honesty, I'm addicted to them. Shinsekai Yori and the gone series seem really interesting! I have read Ender's Game and you can say it has been one of my favorite books I have read. Only bad perk about it, the ending. Really disliked the ending. The visual novel (comic) and movie were a lot better. I read the summary of all the other books before, but found them pretty boring.

I will check out those books, thank you for the recommendations. Whether the books are asian translated, doesn't matter to me haha. I was just pointing out another literary interest of mine. ♡

The Michael Vey series, Ranger's Apprentice, The One and Only Ivan, and The Giver are all books that I have read 😃 One or two of these books are pretty easy and short reads, but they are all really good regardless whether it be the plot, imagery, or pace. I do recommend them though.

Have you guys heard of Goodreads? It's a fantastic source to find new books to read! You guys can create your own accounts enabling u to keep track of all the books u read and the amount. You can write reviews and add other readers. Goodreads finds books you might be interested in based on the ones you read and the genre. Many many good reads on there. ;-)

Lol, I sound like I'm advertising. There's a website and an app for it though!

Female
5,399 posts

Orderedchaos • 18 January 2018 at 9:51 PM

@puggirl Please do not bump older inactive topics. This topic hasn't been posted in in over half a year, it is long dead.

Due to the reason above this topic is now closed.