Newbies welcome pack - a suggestion

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Female
88 posts

caylith • 26 May 2017 at 4:19 AM

Hi,
I am here 2 months now and I like it here;) I might even stay for a looong time.
But still - the more I love the site, the more problems seem to appeare. Well, not a problems really, but some things that are bugging me.

For instance - and that is a reason of creating this topic - how extremely hard newbies have here on the begining, while they try to start a new cove.

Lets see:

1. If they came here without any suggestions of their freinds already playing here - they have nobody to help them. Almost noone to gift them a free, having some value, egg, some EC or CC just for starters. Not the trashy ones that anybody can get in the cave, for noone will trade for them.
I intently do not mention here the wonderfull people in the Giveaway section of the Forum, that are doing just that - giving away a free eggs for starters.
The problem is that these eggs still have so small value that the newbie will not get anything they might want for them, or all the eggs they might need - the older ones - are already taken☹️
2. No possibility to get the older eggs NOT by trading/auction system. Asteroid and Cave - where we can get it, have a possibility, true, but it is so low, that I - for instance (I have no idea about the luck of others) - got 1 valuable egg for 2 months. One and only.
3. It seems that everyone playing here longer do not want to trade for anything than:
- eggs/pets from their wishlist (older than they have - and where the heck the poor newbie can get this one!?)
- CC
- anything that a newbie doesn't have

So... we cannot compete, we cannot get what they want, to offer for the pets we want from them, we cannot hunt for the older pets for there is no possibility, and the older pets do not seem to return. We can only try to pay a real money for CC, and maybe, MAYBE, any of old players mercifuly trade with us. See the problem? The game is extremely hard with a new guys, which, eventualy may let go and stop playing.

So, there is something I think, could help.

A welcoming pack for a newcomers containing:
1. Up to 5 random OLD eggs (by old I mean some pets that are not possible to get now, having appeared here a few years ago). This way a newbie can trade with older players from the beginning
2. 200CC (or any other amount of CC that you can actually spend on something in the CC shop)
3. Up to 5 random OLD trinkets or travels

This way even the fresh ones could have something to start with their adventure on the game.
Of course, a possibility of cheating, by creating fake new accounts would happen imediatelly , so there was just one package possible to get within a first 6 mix months of playing and limited to one IP. Or any other mean of obeying the rule of no scamming.

How do you like the idea? In my opinion it would help a lot for a new players. The value of older pets would go down a bit, for sure, but as the welcoming pack would happen just once for a player, this should not devastate the prices completelly, just making some pets more possible to get.

I hope you understand my English and everything that is above. If not or with a difficulties - sorry;)
Anyway, I am wondering what you think about my idea?

Female
874 posts

saturna • 4 June 2017 at 8:02 PM

@caylith
I love this idea.
It is true that newbies really have it hard on egg cave, but maybe instead of all the things you mentioned, the new player can only pick one of those options? Like the choice between a random old creature or cc. That way older players (not that I'm one of them) would feel less like they got ripped off from not joining later.

Female
88 posts

caylith • 5 June 2017 at 3:04 AM

@saturna

Anything to help a newbies - really help, not offering unwanted, trashy stuff nobody wants, but something valuable to start with - would be great. Even one of the a/m options could help the new players start having fun not frustration from the beginning;)

Female
874 posts

saturna • 5 June 2017 at 2:53 PM

@caylith
A/m options?

Non-binary
2,849 posts

luv • 5 June 2017 at 3:38 PM

@caylith @Saturna

I will play devil's advocate here and say you would likely anger a lot of older users. Many have been working for years and years to collect what they have, and if someone came in and got say, a macbot through luck of the draw I imagine they'd be frustrated.

That being said, I can understand the issue. I just think you may need to tinker with it and find a way to keep everyone happy.

Female
225 posts

izz • 5 June 2017 at 3:52 PM

@caylith

I do worry (and I'm saying this as a newbie) that this will decrease the value of some of the older creatures.

Female
1,924 posts

reality • 5 June 2017 at 4:12 PM

@caylith

The eggs that older player have are often through trading CC and LE. One way to get CC is by feeding. Even though feeding takes a long time, there's the satisfication of getting what you want. I don't think that it should go years back, just 1-3 months back. If you got let's say, a tine, older players would get frustrated since they BOUGHT CC and worked hard to get what they want. There are possibilities of starting a cove based on the newer creatures, some of them are pretty.

Female
874 posts

saturna • 5 June 2017 at 4:33 PM

@luv
It is sad that there seems to be a barrier between the old and newer players. The best would be to come up with an idea that will please most of the community.

Well, I guess there are always giveaways.

Non-binary
2,849 posts

luv • 5 June 2017 at 4:59 PM

@saturna @izz @caylith
I'm not saying it's an impossible idea. My suggestion would be re-release one to two old, rare creatures into the cave monthly. Everyone would have a chance, and it's not enough of a re-release that I think older users will get mad.

We do have to remember that a long time ago it was promised to the older users that there would be no more re-releases, so I think you'd have to be careful but I do think there would be some options.

Female
88 posts

caylith • 5 June 2017 at 5:03 PM

What @saturna just said is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. There are older players, being here years and years, some of them lurking on the game very rarely, for they have nothing to hunt for as they have everything, therefore slowly losing an interest in the game. And there are the newbies with nothing thay can start. There is that barrier we simply cannot cross to reach you, guys, for you are not interested in anything we are able to put our hands on, for at least next half a year.
I am not saying that we should be handed anything just like this. I am saying that there should be something, a way, to make a little bridge here. So we had something you would like to have, and would be interested in trading with us the things we are looking for.
My idea with a welcoming pack with a deadly rare pet/egg/CC's/anything that older players would like to have from a newbie (let's be clear - there is nothing most of older ones would like from me right now. Even my Drakomo is considered "[yeep] rare" and it is the single valuable thing I got through 2 months here, which I would like to trade😊) is this something and I think this should be considered by admins or mods. How to help balance the players, to do something we also had chance to grab something nice😊 This... or widely considered on the forums a possibility to bring back the old pets. If they could come back from a dead for whatever reason the admins decide, even for a short time and be accesible for all of us, not only for CC owners - the problem would be solved.

Female
874 posts

saturna • 5 June 2017 at 5:12 PM

@luv
Adding on to your idea, I think it would make a lot of sense for retired creatures to only be rereleased where they were originally found, like csp creatures would be able to be purchased again from the cash shop, and cave creatures would return to the cave temporarily.

Oh no this is just going to restart the debate again isn't it '-'

Non-binary
2,849 posts

luv • 5 June 2017 at 5:29 PM

@caylith @saturna
All I'm saying is that I don't think you would solve problems for everyone: I think you'd create more than you solve. Older users, regrettably, are very protective over their coves and the time, money, and effort they've spent to get there. If you do any sort of "newbie starter pack" that has five of those creatures in it (five is a lot too), they will be very, very mad.

As for saturna's point, I actually disagree. If you put the doovoo back into the CSP for so much as a day you would infuriate many people. I think randomized, very limited re-releases that could apply to everyone are the only way. I also think they'd get activity at the cave to an all-time high!

Female
874 posts

saturna • 5 June 2017 at 5:39 PM

@luv
Why would csp rereleases anger people? Just not sure on that.

Non-binary
2,849 posts

luv • 5 June 2017 at 5:54 PM

@saturna
Well, let's look at it this way. The user muppet recently traded her doovoo. I offered everything that I currently have in the tc (arnmae, biwo, berr, etc), and I still didn't get the creature, which must mean someone else offered even more. What if they offered a ton of crazy rare creatures that they were super tentative about, and then the doovoo was released again a week later? What if they had organized a trade with someone else that all of a sudden goes void? Now they've given up all these creatures for something that just very dramatically decreased in value.

Female
88 posts

caylith • 5 June 2017 at 6:14 PM

@luv

There is and always be a risk, but without a risk only the small group of player feels fine. All that I need here is a little understanding, remembering how frustrating it was on the begining, for all of you started once having nothing, and a possibility for a fresh players to trade somehow for the old pets. No new release means that the prices will go higher and higher as the pets die in abandonded old accounts, their number drops even more and nobody will get them eventually. And that would be the worst possibility ever.
Put some of them in a market, let some of us have them... the game economy will not loose as much as you think and more "doovoos" on the TC means that more people will be happy;)

Female
874 posts

saturna • 5 June 2017 at 6:36 PM

@luv
Ah, sorry. I didn't think of it that way before... ^^'/

Non-binary
2,849 posts

luv • 5 June 2017 at 6:36 PM

@caylith
I think you are over simplifying a very complicated issue here. A lot of older users will likely fight you using the exact argument you just presented: we all started from nothing too, and we had to work our way up. I just remember the last re-release, of the florn, foo, roo, treelar and swornt. People were so angry that EC said they wouldn't ever do it again (if I'm remembering correctly).

I'm not saying re-releases are a bad idea. I've shared my solution in several posts above, and I stand by it. I think it's the only form of re-release that won't devastate a large portion of the community.

As for the doovoo thing, yes, you'd have happier people. But you'd certainly have angrier ones too.

Female
88 posts

caylith • 5 June 2017 at 6:47 PM

I get it and your idea is better than nothing. Still, if the bosses said "never, ever" well... I think it is a good moment to stop fighting, for it will not change anything;)

Non-binary
2,849 posts

luv • 5 June 2017 at 6:52 PM

@Saturna
It's just another angle to think about!

@caylith
I may be wrong actually. I found the original blog post and I don't see any mention of not doing it again. And people weren't as angry as I remember. Maybe a one day re-release actually could work!

Female
874 posts

saturna • 5 June 2017 at 7:01 PM

@caylith
On another note, if you still have the drakomo I would be interested to offer for it

Female
88 posts

caylith • 5 June 2017 at 7:25 PM

@luv
We'll see what will they do. But if the problem surfaces still in a different topics, they will have to decide once and for all.
@saturna
Please check your mail;)

Male
2,762 posts

fakeworld • 7 June 2017 at 10:32 PM

@caylith
I could see from both perspectives, and I agree and disagree with points from both. I do think something needs to be done in order to not only attract new players, but keep them. I believe that a lot of new people leave due to the thought of never receiving anything "extremely rare". The idea of rereleases is cool, but rereleasing creatures that are extremely rare (Macbots, Doovoos, etc) sounds scary. The two rarest creatures on the site are extremely rare because 1. They were only available for 24 hours 2. A lof them died off 3. They were and still are extremely liked. I don't know what would work exactly, but maybe Egg Cave should test out 24-hour releases again, to give newer users like you a chance of owning an extremely rare creature in the future? I could literally write paragraphs and paragraphs of ideas and such about this, but I have faith that something will be done in the near future to stop this problem from escalating or arising.

I really like the thought of giving new players a welcome package though. This might actually be the start of something great. Some altering of this idea may be needed just to ensure that the majority of the community is satisfied, but it would be interesting to see how this works out if it was to happen.

Female
88 posts

caylith • 8 June 2017 at 2:45 AM

@fakeworld

Thanks for supporting my idea. Something needs to be done to level the chances if there are no re-releases planned, for the things with a new comers will go completely wrong. And some day there may be just the community of old players digging through the same accounts over and over again, looking for doovoo and overpricing it terribly if ever traded by its owners😃. Scary sutiation;D I really do not want to see it happen, for I already love the site, the community is great, "oldies" really helpful with there advice about tactics here and values - although picky as heck when it comes to trading;D
If any of you think about a mod, who might want to check the topic and raise it to the rest of leading board, maybe it would be a good idea to ping them?

Female
3,801 posts

sparklefox • 8 June 2017 at 5:00 PM

@caylith - It would be nice to see something like this. Most newbies just seem to quit very quickly here, which is pretty saddening. I'd say that something like this would help.

Maybe not ULTRA RARE ones like Onny and Doovoo (for you will suffer the wrath of 'oldies')...? i wouldnt mind them being given away thou-- //slapped