Same creature name

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Support?

Female
8 posts

awesomeminer148 • 20 April 2018 at 2:25 PM

I have just joined (so I know this is probably already a thing) but it appears that you can't name a creature something if that name is already used. This makes it hard for me to think of suitable names to fit with what I think the creature will be. It might just be me though.

Thoughts?

Female
2,200 posts

thedarkarcher • 20 April 2018 at 3:11 PM

@awesomeminer148 i agree but it leads to the main issue of people selling names and having names open to all will mean that a lot of users will be unhappy.

Female
8 posts

awesomeminer148 • 20 April 2018 at 4:51 PM

Yeah, I guess. I just find it annoying that I can't name them what I want because the name is taken.

Female
1,395 posts

iris1929578 • 29 April 2018 at 8:12 PM

@awesomeminer148

Some things:

The value of names would decrease to 0.
Creatures would lose their uniqueness.
You wouldn’t have to go through all that stress finding a name (not that stressful tho)

I’m leaning more to the “No Support” side.

Female
2,158 posts

prairie • 29 April 2018 at 8:44 PM

@awesomeminer148

I also like to try to get nicer names. 😊 But I appreciate that there can only be one creature with that name.
For me, I really love to collect species names (EX: Cloveater, Drollo, ect.) And I like that there can only be one named as such. I'd feel like I'd be a bit disappointed if someone had the same species, with the same name, gender, stage and stolen date as my creature I view as special and unique.

However, what I do find most frustrating about name hunting is when someone who has the name you have searched for has quit. Some users have wonderful names, but they have been inactive for 4-6 years or even stated on their status or profile "I have quit".

3,057 posts

jirachiwishmaker • 29 April 2018 at 9:21 PM

@awesomeminer148

You can have the same name for a creature, sorta what I mean by that is you know the name, but tweak the letters a bit to spell it differently. The main idea is that you know what you named it and what it means it shouldn't matter that it's spelled wrong, but you played with the letters a bit and still could name it. There's many names that have been taken in english and japanese on here. So if I hear a name from somewhere else like a game, or anime that's where it's gonna come from and I'm sticking to that. I like Pokemon names, but who doesn't, most of the names are already taken so I try even plurals and at times it does work. A plural chinchous, machamps, and Gengars. You can add a - or a _ to the name and that helps too like kyogres- which I also have. I can just guarantee that their names really are taken.

Female
134 posts

zinny • 23 May 2018 at 12:58 PM

Ya know, as someone that collects names and has been collecting for years, I would still support having free access to all names.

I understand that for a lot of people that have traded or bought their names, it would be disappointing (to say the least) to see that everyone can have any name. But I'd still like to see that I can name my pet whatever I'd like, especially when I want to honor a late RL pet and I can't because the name was taken years ago. I especially hate that not all of my critters have an appropriate name... really really bothers me, but I get by.

I would suggest that there be two of a kind (like two creatures with the name Charcoal) in an attempt to maintain name values, but still accommodate for the ridiculous scarcity of names... but then we would probably run into the same scarcity problem in about a year or so... maybe sooner if people go into a name frenzy.