Pets

in Chit-Chat

What kind of pet do you like? (Multiple answers allowed.)

Female
86 posts

ryepuff • 16 August 2019 at 3:21 PM

Do you have a pet? Or an ideal pet? I have three adorable little dogs, and they love people. My ideal pet would probs be a bird, as birds are my favourite kind of animal, they are so beautiful, little but bursting with personality. Idk about what bird, but a budgie is pretty likely.

1,327 posts

bgunny • 16 August 2019 at 3:54 PM

@ryepuff
I have a lot of different pets I'd love to get someday. I want dogs, cats, fish, ferrets, chickens, ducks, goats, and a hamster. I love animals so much! ❤️

I do have fish now. I have a 30 gallon tank cycling and a 5 gallon with a betta.

Birds are cool pets. The only problem I have with birds is if I got one I would need a huge cage for it. I'd want him to be able to fly all over the place.

Cis Female
10 posts

noctem • 18 August 2019 at 2:05 PM

I own both cats and rats, and they're definitely the best companions imo! c:

Female
888 posts

meisawesome • 21 September 2019 at 11:49 PM

I got cats and dogs, but what i really want is a bird

Gender Nonconforming
1,249 posts

frankenstein • 25 September 2019 at 12:47 PM

Currently, I have 3 dogs, 2 cats, and a tank of fish. I have also had gerbils, rats, rabbits, and guinea pigs.

Honestly, dogs and rats are easily my favorites.

Deleted • 30 September 2019 at 9:59 PM

@bgunny i had yorkie she died nov 2nd 2016,

Female
53 posts

carcharhiniformes • 7 October 2019 at 3:55 PM

I have a 4 year old cat and a new Bearded Dragon! ❤️ I've had fish and guinea pigs and cats and dogs growing up, but nowadays I'm really into reptiles. When I move into a bigger place I'm definitely getting a ball python.

1,327 posts

bgunny • 7 October 2019 at 4:18 PM

@lovemelikeyoudo
Aw, I'm sorry for you loss. I understand how it feels to lose a family pet. ☹️

Deleted • 8 October 2019 at 2:54 PM

@bgunny thank you

Gender Fluid
1,346 posts

kayuubii • 7 November 2019 at 12:03 PM

I LOVE MICE AND CATSSSSSSSSSSS

Female
1,888 posts

bubblez • 7 November 2019 at 3:34 PM

Cats! I have two! Pet wise, they're my favorite and second favorite animal after peacocks.

Female
191 posts

kiiiiiler • 13 December 2019 at 11:48 AM

I have a dog, and a Beta fish. But my Ideal pet would be a young Cheetah.

Male
286 posts

thundore • 13 December 2019 at 12:16 PM

lol, TIGERS ARE AWESOME!

(my dad is like a vet or a zoo keeper, ehh, I forgot... We literally live with dangerous creatures.)

Female
585 posts

duckduck • 23 December 2019 at 8:04 AM

@carcharhiniformes
Aww I love Bearded Dragons 😊 I’m studying herpetology at the moment in school, and I’ve always wanted to get a Savannah monitor. I’ve got limited space though, and it’s really hard to find a place to rent near my campus that allows more than 2 pets. For now I’m just sticking with snakes 😊 I’ve got a blood python and a boa constrictor, and I’d love to get a false water cobra someday

Also I just took a big final on all of the vertebrate orders and your username gave me anxiety for half a second lol

Male
682 posts

decay • 23 December 2019 at 8:17 AM

@duckduck
I have always been curious about snake keeping since many people consider snakes to be scary and aggressive!

However, I’m pretty sure it’s just a stereotype of snakes 😋

What’s it like to keep snakes as pets? c:

Also, I recently adopted a Kitten from a local woman that rescues cats 😋

Her name is Agatha and she is now 10 weeks old!
She’s super tiny and super hyper but also sleeps all the time it’s adorable!
She’s my first pet but my girlfriend has taken care of kittens before so it’s good we adopted her together c:

I eventually want to get a huge fluffy dog however, I also want it to be a rescue so it’s really up to fate what dog I get xD

Female
585 posts

duckduck • 23 December 2019 at 9:01 AM

@dcmaster
I might be biased, but I definitely think there are some strong misconceptions about snakes. I’m really sorry if I ramble for too long lol 😊
I worked with snakes at a zoo for a few years. In my experience they can start out a little defensive, but they can be beautifully socialized over time. They can even start to show distinct personalities once you understand their body language. Barring a few very large species, the vast majority of snakes would never consider a human to be a possible food option, so a snake would only view you as a possible predator. A pet snake might bite a few times early on out of fear, but if you are gentle and go slow with them then they eventually learn that you aren’t going to hurt them. To be honest though, I’ve also met plenty of snakes that just simply don’t like being handled, just like how some dogs or cats don’t like to be picked up. With my boa Milo, he Is perfectly fine with being picked up and handled, but he doesn’t like it when someone pets him down his back and he’ll usually leave or start fidgeting if someone tries.

Your cat sounds so adorable!! I’ve always loved them, but I’m horribly allergic to them lol. 10 weeks oh my god. She must be so tiny ❤️

Male
682 posts

decay • 23 December 2019 at 9:10 AM

@duckduck
That's so interesting!
I always hear of the horror stories of snakes attacking humans and such..
but I heard that's common with dogs who are in unusual environments as well.
I guess it really is a perspective thing,

Anyway, I actually had no idea about the socialization of snakes but that sounds so interesting!

Also, the lower back part actually reminds me of Agatha because she doesn't like to be pet in her stomach area and will usually do a warning bite if you try so they're similar in that way c:

Snakes sounds pretty cool xD

Also, thank you!! Ahh that really sucks I hate allergies!
Mine are triggered by pollen so spring is hell xD
She is c: but she's getting visibly longer which is interesting xD

Female
585 posts

duckduck • 23 December 2019 at 9:38 AM

@dcmaster
Haha yeah I hear you. It’s kind of funny that snakes are such a common fear because they have honestly been the “easy prey” item for larger predators throughout history. There are a few big species and the few dangerously venomous families, but the majority of snakes are designed for defense rather than offense. Some pretty common defense mechanisms aside from fleeing or biting are mimicry of a venomous species (which unfortunately leads to many killings of harmless species by people ☹️), musking or defecating, rattling their tail (even if they don’t have a rattle), and even playing dead. Hognose snakes are especially known for that last one, and it’s really cute if you haven’t seen a video of it before. If a Hognose is playing dead, they curl up while laying on their backs. I’ve set them right side up and they’ll actually flip themselves BACK over onto their backs, which isn’t very convincing in my opinion. Bless their hearts

A coworker of mine had a friend that needed to rehome a hairless cat a ways back. I thought about it for awhile, but I was really worried about the cat somehow getting into the snakes’ tanks and eating them. I’m not sure how you’re supposed to pet hairless cats either, because petting loose skin sounds unpleasant at best lol

Oh man the pollen xD I don’t know how anyone ever enjoys spring, between the cold weather and the pollen.

Female
53 posts

carcharhiniformes • 23 December 2019 at 10:09 AM

@duckduck That's so cool! I studied Marine Biology in school but I took a Herp class and it really ignited my love for reptiles! 😃

Female
53 posts

apple_dumpling • 23 December 2019 at 11:12 AM

I have two guinea pigs and love the heccing hecc out of them, I spent all my Christmas gift budget on them. (Which, to be fair, was only about 50$ but still.) I wish I had the room for a rabbit, but I’m afraid it would very easily escape lol. Rats are so interesting, too, and it’s sad to see how others mistreat them and cringe at the sight or mention of them. They just get a bad rap. I’ve seen “challenges” where people make their guinea pig swim (which is very dangerous, as they aren’t meant for swimming and it can cause respiratory issues) or hold a rat over someone who has a phobia of them (usually by the tail, which is very painful, and their defense mechanisms only make it worse for the phobic person because they’ll spin and spin and might even shed the skin on their tail.) My only issue would be that they are very territorial.

If I ever kept a snake, I’d be afraid to touch it because their skin/scales feels so fragile (in my experience) and I have this weird nightmare I’d just puncture the hecc out of it. Feeding them would also break my heart ☹️

Edit: I forgot ferrets! 😱

Non-binary
1,318 posts

raccoon • 23 December 2019 at 1:03 PM

Oh geez, I need an excuse to rave about my weird pets....

I have the usual pets, 2 cats and 4 dogs... but people always give me funny reactions when I mention my weird pets. 8) I have 3 american toads, 100+ mealworms, 100+ dubia roaches, and 2 madagascar hissing cockroaches.

Never in my life would I have picked roaches as pets... but somehow I ended up with tons of them and I love them.

Deleted • 8 January 2020 at 7:52 PM

I have 9 dogs. 😊

Female
191 posts

kiiiiiler • 9 January 2020 at 10:51 AM

How did you end up with that many? @aaalien

153 posts

downpour • 12 January 2020 at 3:22 AM

I’ve always wanted a dog but we couldn’t find one that suits our schedule at home ☹️