Egg Cave needs several updates.

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Female
149 posts

poserpanda • 7 February 2021 at 11:46 AM

Egg Cave is slowly working through various user concerns, to fix the website. This website works well enough, but there is still so many more qualities that should be added. As I have spent more than the price of a high quality, new, console game in the fervent hope that this site will become even better as time and effort allows; I can say that this year's updates are becoming worthwhile changes to be greatly appreciated. I don't want a refund. I no longer think that users should withhold their donations to show their displeasure in this site. I just want to see more of the same kind of recent updates to this site. I want to see this site become even better, and more user friendly.

You can check my thread about updating the player guide for more, very necessary updates. But since user profiles, threads, posts, and topics are less easily categorized; here's the link.
https://eggcave.com/forums/topic/74636

Sometimes they allow only the best drawn creatures to be released for a very small amount of time. They're not readily available and must be searched for with very low stealing chances.

Most of the time, users on the site are endlessly clicking each other's creatures, if you don't already have to ask others to do it. The rest of the site's tabs/functions are largely ignored. Until an event is started.

Let's talk tedium. 500 feeds, 1000 views, 2000 clicks? That's too much. And it is obviously too much, so players need to Purchase Clicks, Views, Feeds. There is no point in engaging with others, clicking creatures, and generally having a presence on this site, when Purchasing the necessary growth pokes is an option. And it's not even an option to purchase with site generated currency. Unless you want to buy an inflated version of CC, which users must do constantly, to get items or creatures of "real" value.

Each Name can only be used by one user, unless there are symbols added to it.
This makes issues for "stealing" pets from the cave and oasis, as both are set on a timer to make your egg disappear. (For reasons that aren't entirely clear or necessary. If it is part of the "cave/oasis" "lore", then I am entirely uninterested in it.)

You have to Pay to change the name of your pet.
You have to Pay to remove the background from your pet, or it will be deleted. (For reasons that aren't entirely clear or necessary. If it is part of the "travel ticket" "lore", then I am entirely uninterested in it.)

Hardly anyone wants to make backgrounds for the pets, because we want our creature creations to be used, not to make art for existing creatures. Especially when the backgrounds are easily lost and hard to come by.

Backgrounds can only be used for behind the pet, and they often only mesh well with the small amount of Retired creatures they go with. Otherwise it is a wasteful gamble.

You have to make an account for an entirely different, well-hidden website, to see your wish list. And it is a hassle to add, edit, or remove creatures.

You have to make an account on the previously mentioned website, which isn't covered in the player guide, to view Some backgrounds to see if they actually work with your creature.

Unfortunately, this site is rather boring, frustrating, and expensive. There are so many users who go on hiatus, just because there isn't much to do. Or too much of the same. I don't mind a clicking website, but it becomes very tedious.

I also cannot post twice in the same topic, to bump my thread. Understandable, until at least a day has passed. Even weeks or months afterwards, I can only edit. That does not help promote topics unless you ask others to bump your topic for you. And I don't want to bother people just to get my topic to be noticed after nobody has interacted with it.

A final thought to end my first post in this thread. The following quote is taken directly from the front page, for new users to see. I have added underscores to emphasize the parts of the website that also need clarification.

"Experience the fun of _endless_ adoptables _and virtual pets_.

•Adoptables and virtual pets are not different.
•Endless is slightly misleading, as most creatures are retired, sometimes within a month.

New creatures every month. _More than 650 species!_

•650+ species? Sure.
But only 59 are readily available without spending or using any money.
17 are extremely expensive, and take weeks or months of grinding.
28 are so rare there is an extremely low chance of ever getting one, even after visiting every day for YEARS.

So, fifty-nine are actually available if you are honest. One hundred and four are available with high rate of luck, or site-generated cash.

_Over 3,500 collectible items._
•Hoarded, broken, or deleted. There are entire threads for the chance, just the chance that someone is nice enough to allow other users to borrow these items for trading and quests. Those people are awesome.

_Well-established player base._
•Veterans of this site purchase a leaf of vaka, hoard valuable pets, sell the pets, and leave the site. The pets they want are taken care of without any interference.

_Infinitely expandable accounts._
•Payable with real money. Or randomly given only on Christmas.

_Free to play._"
•Free to start. Heavily monetized. Children and adults need to be aware of the micro-transactions. Not just a small warning. An actual advisory guide that a lot of money is encouraged to be spent here.

Female
915 posts

shirothekittehlover • 8 February 2021 at 12:21 AM

@poserpanda About the forums part.... yeah i agree with you -_-'

Female
1,384 posts

bubble_tree • 8 February 2021 at 2:16 AM

I think I agree with pretty much everything you've listed. I first joined back in 2011 and have been back and forth over the years because I just come in, click around for a few hours, then never log back on. Definitely thinks some new things should come to Egg Cave, to spice it up I guess.

Female
149 posts

poserpanda • 8 February 2021 at 8:29 AM

@shirothekittehlover
I am both sad to see that you agree, and glad I am not the only one affected. Need any topics bumped or given honest admiration?

@bubble_tree
It is at times a lackluster site. Maybe there will be something more interesting to be added in the way of mechanics. Do you need any topics bumped or given honest admiration?

Female
915 posts

shirothekittehlover • 8 February 2021 at 8:51 AM

@poserpanda All of my creature suggestion topics NEEDS more attention =_='

Female
149 posts

poserpanda • 8 February 2021 at 9:27 AM

You got it! I will make some posts.

Male
2,235 posts

beta • 8 February 2021 at 9:53 AM

@poserpanda hi, I wanted to provide my feedback since I have some free time 😋

If the first statement is about rereleases, they are probably not trying to break the economy by releasing too many, which would cause the market for this creature to plummet.

Evolutions, at least for me, are milestones, depending on the creature. A few days as your profile pet and a creature can rack up enough views to fully evolve! Feeds and clicks are a bit harder to obtain, though it is not impossible. However, there are some stat milestones that seem a bit unreasonable (such as Islav or Nyacos) and those could be lowered a bit.

I personally have had no issue with creatures timing out of the cave and oasis when trying to name creatures. I also prefer the only one creature can have a specific name, as it creates more trading opportunities.

The rename cost isn’t very high, and it fits with reality, as you would have to pay to legally change a name.

The travel removal doesn’t seem to be too much of an issue, as you could get a new one for a low price in the travel agency.

You actually are not required to use eggcavity to make a wishlist. Eggcavity is user run, and out of date, and not actually endorsed by Eggcave. It is a helpful tool though.

Any successful website of this nature will have retired and rare species, as it helps to keep the site going. The site doesn’t say that 650 species are available, but there are over 650 species, which is in fact true.

I think the main reason that there aren’t very many items in most people’s strongholds is because they don’t buy any from the auto generated shops, and instead rely on user shops for questing. Shops like the travel agency and the toy shop all pretty much always fully in stock.

The leaf of Vaka is quite nice for worry free hiatus. Most people have reasons to go on hiatus, such as work or college, and can do so without worrying. However, the people that remain active are still quite nice, and so are people that leave. This is the least toxic community I’ve ever seen actually 😃.

The expandable accounts part is inaccurate. You cannot use cc to expand your cove without exchanging it for ec. However, the amount of ec it takes can get ridiculous, and should probably be lowered.

It is indeed free to play. Players like @/asi spent no money on the game and had one of the most beautiful coves ever. But like with any game or website, it is easier when spending money.

Female
149 posts

poserpanda • 8 February 2021 at 10:05 AM

Knowing that egg cavity is run unofficially, is new to me. I had hoped the site itself would give players a chance to see and show other pets they want.

I am not interested in the reality of needing money to change names. To me, it is merely an excuse to further monetize the site in a way that is unnecessary, and creates trades where people actually charge others to get the names they want. This is unfair, and easily corrected.

Also, I did say that it was true that there are over 650 species. I just clarified how easily or uneasily they are obtained. And since some are actually unobtainable for users, the number itself is promising more than it is able to give away. I for one, am never going to get all of the retired creatures that I want. I believe that to be a small failure on this site. Having retired creatures does not a successful site, make. (To annoyingly speak like Yoda.)

I was not fully informed of the price of expansion, so that is both good news and bad.

I did say it was free to start, but I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one. It is much too similar to the argument about free games with microtransactions. (Example, Fortnite.) [Edit:] And you have already mentioned that. Cool beans.

But thank you for informing me of several things. C: You have been very helpful, and I am glad to have read it.

Male
284 posts

zx-metalmonster • 30 May 2021 at 10:11 AM

True the site could benefit from some changes. I have seen very good suggestions for new features on the forums but this thread in particular rubs me the wrong way and I have to disagree with a lot of the issues brought up.

I believe most users are worried about their creatures evolving past the stage they want to freeze them in, so lowering the number of views/clicks/feeds necessary would just lead to more issues and more spending. I've never stressed about evolving a creature and most of mine have hatched and grown along the way while I focused on other things, some very quickly. I'm curious how often the view/click/feed potions are even bought from the Cash Shop, since I always though of them as the sort of item no one would spend CC on because they would rather get something else. Also, it is possible to raise the feed stat of creatures by giving them food items, though it is not a guaranteed outcome. In fact, this is a change I would be more interested in, changing the food items so they raise the feed stat every time they are used.

As for the inflated price of CC, that is something that was decided on by the community. Users can trade CC for EC at whatever price they want, the 100CC=1mil EC rate is simply what everyone seems to have agreed on and it's understandable. I imagine someone who has bought CC with money doesn't want to give it away for a small sum of EC. Also, I think the bigger issue at the moment is that CC is simply not as available for trade as it use to be and I remember that a suggestion has already been made to add in a EC to CC conversion system and the Egg Cave team has acknowledged this is something the users want.

The 1000EC needed for a name change can be gathered in something like 10 clicks which is less than a minute of clicking.

As for travels, I never even realized they can be suggested like creatures and since you're complaining about them only being useful as creature backgrounds... I'm curious what else you want them to be used for? They are already an item you have to find for one of the quest NPCs. Also, creature specific travels are in the minority... if you meant to say all the travels only look good on retired creatures then that's just an opinion.

I will absolutely agree that there doesn't seem to be any reason why Egg Cavity ( the wishlist site) is a separate site however. For a moment I thought it was fan made and was going to defend it on that basis but it appears it is also run by eggcave. A fan made site did exist in the past if I remember correctly but it was taken down...

I think Egg Cave is currently trying to reintroduce retired creatures, they are becoming available in the VEND Machine and through rereleases, they recognize that the small number of available creatures is a problem. However it makes sense that getting them either takes a lot of work through quests or CC. We were given a survey to check if the community supports the rereleases and I think this is because there was a possibility of old players being upset with retired species being reintroduced. Keep in mind that many of these retired creatures were originally released in the Cash Shop years ago, some of them even before the Leaf of Vaka and view/click/feed potions existed. Some users paid money or put time in gathering CC to buy them, then put more time into immortalizing them and then kept them for years... it would be unfair to those people if now those same creatures became free and easily obtainable without much work having to be put into them.

In truth that is what bothers me about this complaint. If Egg Cave was a conventional game it would be grindy and pay to win, many things are too difficult to achieve, I'm sure most everyone thinks this and I agree... But this thread complains about everything from users having to spend real money, to having to click for EC to RNG being involved in getting cave monthlies... If you would like to not pay a cent, spend no time or effort on the site and even checking in a few times a day to try and get a monthly is a bother to you... then what do you want the game to be?
I feel like you're aiming for something like Dragon Cave, where every species is available either year round or during holidays and hatching and immortalizing them is as easy as putting them in to a click exchange site for a few hours... And personally I find that game much more boring and less engaging than Egg Cave. There is no user interaction to speak of because everything can be obtained without clicking or trading and since I didn't have to put much effort into any dragon i dont even really know or care which ones i have.

Female
149 posts

poserpanda • 21 October 2021 at 5:05 PM

"Hardly anyone wants to make backgrounds for the pets, because we want our creature creations to be used, not to make art for existing creatures. Especially when the backgrounds are easily lost and hard to come by.
Backgrounds can only be used for behind the pet, and they often only mesh well with the small amount of Retired creatures they go with. Otherwise it is a wasteful gamble."

-----
In the first paragraph I am complaining that the travels can be removed and kept, but with CC. Specific travels can be searched for and traded, but I don't appreciated the travel being deleted when a new background is added to a creature that is already traveling.

My second complaint is basically that the travels are entirely covered by the creatures. I would suggest having a bigger background, so that most of the picture can be seen. For example, if I want to add the Ferris Wheel to an egg-shaped creature, then the Ferris Wheel will not be visible. I do like that there are Trinkets, because those actually fit around the creature itself. But for non-trinkets, I think it would be cool if the image were a bit more blown up. I like seeing what's going on in the background, and I have a good example of what I mean.

https://twitter.com/PoserPandaTwit/status/1451292708690186248?s=20

When I first bought this travel, I thought it would fit well with my Faboo. It turns out, that there's even an animal behind the fence that Faboo is sitting in front of! I would like to be able to move either the creature or the background a bit, just so that my Pinkunk is not covering the little creature. Or if moving the creatures is a bit difficult to code, then my main suggestion to make the backgrounds bigger is what I prefer.
That's something I would donate money to see happen.

But you're right. Paying EC to change a creature's name is not expensive at all. I guess what actually bothers me is that not everyone can name their creature the same thing. But that has a work-around as well, so it's not an actual issue.

Female
244 posts

lilacblack • 10 November 2021 at 8:13 PM

I'll get back here eventually. Meanwhile @tryvegan4theanimals

Female
149 posts

poserpanda • 11 November 2021 at 12:39 AM

I'm glad that I was notified for this reply to my topic. The other notifications on the other hand, are pointless. I don't need or want to know that there is a new blog post, or that because I signed in, I got some more EC. I do not want to know how much of a boost my star creatures have. None of these are important to me. It is important to be able to turn off any notification that I want, including all of them. Pretty much every site I have been on, has this ability. So I think it is an excellent addition to a slowly-growing site.

Deleted • 12 January 2022 at 8:29 PM

@poserpanda
I completely agree. I hate it when I see that I have a notification, click on the bell to see what it is, and am disappointed to find that it's nothing but a new blog post or a daily reward. I've been on lots of sites, and 85% of them have some option to disable notifs for things you don't care about.

Female
149 posts

poserpanda • 12 January 2022 at 11:13 PM

Thank you. I did check the site's settings and we can turn off notifications. Unfortunately the ping setting is not quite what we're hoping for. If you guys haven't seen this account control already, here's what it says.

"Do Not Ping"

"If you want a quieter Egg Cave experience, you can turn off ping notifications (@) from the Forums and Site Blog. Note that this setting turns off ping notifications from everybody. If you want to turn off pings from a specific user, block them individually instead."

I kinda wish I could block Site Blog and Cave Adoptions. Especially since I can just check the front page.

Female
2,158 posts

prairie • 13 January 2022 at 12:56 AM

@poserpanda

As someone who's been on the site for awhile, I do love the idea of the player guide getting a "Things to do" and "Events" type guide.
However, I do disagree on a few other points.

On the "500 feeds, 1000 views, 2000 clicks" I think that is just fine, especially on the views bit. If you're active in the fourms/blog posts/etc, you can rack up views fast. On the other stats those types of stats as a solid point of medium is great. It doesn't rush the time it takes for something to hatch/evolve and it gives the user enough time to build up CC to freeze it if they so choose. I do however agree that some insane stats, like *COUGH* deena *COUGH* are absolutely unneeded and irritating, especially with the click exchange feature on the site not being used that much.

As someone who likes to collect names, I think its fine that the site only allows 1 of a name to be used. Names are another thing many users like to trade for, so it keeps activity in the TC and user conversations going some.

The pay to change the name of the pet is somewhat unneeded to me, however it is such a small fine that I don't find it problematic.
For the travel recovery, it is mostly to preserve retired travels that are no longer in circulation as they are difficult to find sometimes even with other users selling. If the travels where forever useable once purchased then there is no use for CC travels.
Trinket travels are indeed 'designed' for specific species, however I've found plenty that make a completely unique setting with others, its just a matter of finding the right combo.
Honestly I think that if more people suggested travels, we'd see more user-made travels on the site. (I've seen a user suggested travel implemented before, they just aren't made often) Perhaps if the user was the creator of the travel the copies of that travel are reusable to them only, forever.

I do agree that its very disappointing that Eggcave hasn't made a On-site Wishlist yet. Honestly it should be incredibly easy to implement I believe...
On another note, Eggcavity is a fan-made site, so Eggcave doesn't have much control over that. I do believe I've heard that stuff is in the works to revamp the site though, so it should become more user friendly. You do not need to create an account to use the travel viewer on there, you do however need an account to create a wishlist on it.

I agree that it would be useful to have the ability to bump your own topic/post twice after a cooldown of say 12 hours max. I can double post on my topics by posting from a side-posting from main-and deleting the side comment, but it is a bit inconvenient if I only want to bump.

On all the other topics from the front page, I think they are just fine to have those issues on a collectables site with a established trading center and such. Player activity could be increased however, and I think we all need to be focusing on finding ways to make it more appealing to come onto the site on the "off-seasons" of Eggcave between usual events.
One such Idea I had to increase activity and help some with making the site more "free-to-play" was a EC to CC Terminal, which I would love to see become a thing.

Female
149 posts

poserpanda • 13 January 2022 at 2:50 AM

As someone who isn't used to asking others for help, I wasn't fond of the idea of using the forums. The fact that there are threads dedicated to users helping each other grow their pets, is honestly really awesome. I appreciate the points you have made, and the disagreements you (and others) bring up; for it shows where improvements are being created by users for users. [I shudder at the Deena's click count. Though I suppose it will certainly bring in money to the website.]

I believe you have made a good case for names and name changing prices. Since it will stimulate this website's economy, it is useful to keeping users activity high.

Maybe there could be a merge of Egg-cavity? I don't see a down-side to it, especially since the Archives have hidden creature stages that will not update per user, if the user has discovered what the later stages look like. Prime example is the Doppleganger. The stages after the egg are forever going to be question marks, even if a user already knows what it looks like. It'd be like if the Pokedex never updated the entries after a trainer evolves a Pokemon. This allows new users to have a mystery, but if I want to check what a Doppleganger looks like at a later stage, despite having already seen it, I won't be able to check the archives to help me visualize it. But Egg-Cavity is available for just that problem.

Back on topic, I think it would be really cool if I could have all of my pets on Egg Cavity, so that it would be slightly easier to match a creature to a travel. Granted I could look up the creature, then pick the correct stage that my creature currently is, and then browse some of the travels that might work with it. But if I wanted to make it really easy (for a lazy person), then I could just go to my creature list and add the title of whatever travel I wished to see with it. Technically I have done that myself, simply by dragging the transparent image of my creature to a travel, and seeing how it would look. Only on my laptop though; as doing that sort of thing on a phone is impossible. Unless you want to save both files and mush them together on a drawing program.

I'm going to check out your thread and see how you outlined your idea. From reading the title, it reminds me of Chicken Smoothie's economy concerning C$ and pets/art/items.

Another question that comes to mind is, "What do other sites do to keep users' activity high on their websites' "off-seasons" ?" These answers will be based on how I spend my time on the internet, so there won't be too many examples for me to make a considerably thorough investigation.

*Reddit constantly has new posts for people to engage with. There really is no down-time for that website, as a person could just join another subreddit to alleviate the boredom of stagnation. I'm going to try and lay out other websites' activities that seem to help them keep a steady user base.

*Chicken Smoothie has art forums, and a drawing board. I believe that is how they are able to keep users committed to coming back.

Egg Cave has pets, an economy; forums for: help, roleplay, clicking, creature suggestions, and bug submissions. There are mostly unused functions such as: Donation Center, Mysterious Asteroid, Oasis, Click Exchange, and I would add some of the Games as well.

-Side note digression.-
I've even stayed away from the Auction section, as I'm not interested in fighting with people for the very last second of a timer. (It's honestly not worth going there for me, as I normally had to over-pay for items or creatures to have a chance at getting them. Sure that's the point of an auction, but sometimes the prices went up too high too quickly. Normally the auctions I would participate in would run as normal, with each player bidding a modest amount. The auction would run out of time, but somehow a user would put in a million or so EC after the auction has "truly" ended.
Is it a connection issue that I can't see a bid that someone posts, as the auction is ending?
Or do some people time their bids so well, so that nobody else could win, despite not being a part of the auction until the very end?
Is this truly an issue?
I doubt the users who are selling the lot, really care who wins, so long as they get a decent amount of EC. I'm just salty that people can bid in such a manner.
-Side note conclusion.-

To speak on my recent activity being higher on this website, it is because of Egg Cave's birthday payout. I claimed my 500 CC, and bought a Leaf Of Vaca.
[OH MY GOSH I THINK I JUST REALIZED THAT IT IS THE LEAF OF VACATION. BECAUSE IT KEEPS YOUR CREATURES HAPPY AND WELL-FED WHILE YOU ARE AWAY.]
Ahem.
Now that I have this account item, I am visiting this website nearly every day. I do not have to worry about dead creatures, so I can help other users out who do not have the Leaf.

I would also like to thank the users who traded me creatures that were not dead, to replace the ones that had died, while I was on vacation.