[October/Halloween?] Creature Suggestion: Stritten

in Fan Art & Creature Suggestions

Female
3,804 posts

sparklefox • 28 August 2021 at 8:10 PM

(Not going to write this entire thing in italics because it'll probably look obnoxious.)

Sometimes I get stupid ideas on creature suggestions (emphasis on stupid here), but the thought of actually submitting them is terrifying. This time I'm forcing myself out of my comfort zone to show one of them. I'm anything but an artist so it looks kinda bad, sorry. I had October in mind when making it, but I'm not sure if it would fit.

Stritten = Strix (a genus of owls) + Kitten, I'm not that good at coming up with names so please forgive me. Both cats and owls are often associated with Halloween.

Image: https://i.imgur.com/c6GXiUi.png

Egg Description:
Stritten eggs are covered in a rather large amount of feathers, which help to keep them warm as they develop. Near the top of the egg sits two larger feathers that stick out almost like ears.
A short while after these eggs are laid, one can observe the mother bird brushing her wings against these two feathers. This is because Stritten hatchlings, as strange as it sounds, imprint on the first thing that touches these feathers. It's currently unknown how they can even tell who or what even made contact with them.

Creature Description:
Strittens are seldom seen during the day, preferring to prowl the forests during the dead of night. Thanks to their specially adapted feathers, their movements are almost completely silent. This ability combined with their excellent senses means that these birds are masters at stealth. Their dark feathers allow them to blend in easily amongst the shadows.
The most peculiar aspect of the Stritten is their cat-like head, featuring powerful jaws. Even a playful bite from these creatures can effortlessly cause large amounts of damage to other species. These mischievous birds can almost always be seen with an unnerving grin on their faces, showing off their razor-sharp teeth.
Rumour has it that they're not truly eyeless, and that their thick layers of feathers cover a pair of catlike eyes. No one has currently ever been able to prove whether this is true or not, as anyone who approaches a Stritten is suddenly overcome with terror and will freeze in place, and can only watch in fear as the Stritten tauntingly cackles and shortly after flies away. "Stricken by the Stritten" is a commonly used phrase to describe someone who suddenly becomes fearful over something.

(I know the description sounds dumb, sorry.)

Kinda afraid to ping people myself. You're free to ping people for me if you wish...

Female
183 posts

singasong99 • 29 August 2021 at 1:03 AM

This is nice! Definitely gives off the Halloween vibe (at least to me). Your art is amazing!

Deleted • 30 August 2021 at 6:03 PM

@sparklefox i love it
I want one

738 posts

dragonnn • 1 September 2021 at 11:10 PM

Yes please. It looks great. Great description too. I imagine seeing its eyes would be terrifying. Cute and scary, it's perfect.

Female
307 posts

powgal15 • 24 September 2021 at 12:42 PM

@sparklefox WOAH THAT IS BEAUTIFULLY HORRIFYING GOOD JOB

Male
1,991 posts

Ian • 11 October 2021 at 5:53 PM

@sparklefox slotted for November release! ❤️ It has been PICKED! 😊 Yay!

Deleted • 12 October 2021 at 5:38 PM

Yay thank you @Ian their creature is amazing

@sparklefox
Congrats

Female
183 posts

singasong99 • 13 October 2021 at 4:18 AM

@sparklefox Congratulations! ❤️ 😊

Female
149 posts

poserpanda • 21 October 2021 at 4:17 PM

This is so cool! Yet another reason to be excited for November!