Explanation/guide for Find The Gobblers?

in Help & Questions

Female
2,936 posts

heatherm19 • 25 October 2022 at 4:10 PM

I've been looking at old blog posts and searching the forums trying to prepare for this event, but I'm finding I have multiple questions.

First, does anyone have an actual screenshot of what the gobblers look like in the event? I know what a Gobbler creature looks like, but I've seen many posts saying the event ones are small and/or really light and can be easily missed. It'd be so helpful if I knew exactly what to look for.

Also, I've seen it mentioned that if a gobbler appears and you go to another page, it won't reappear if you go back? Is that true? And if you open multiple new tabs at the same time (like clicking in a feed list), would the gobbler appear in all of them or just one?

Third thing, I saw a thread from last year that there had been some bug and the fix meant that clicking a gobbler would take you to a separate page. Everyone seemed to hate it and a mod mentioned Ian was working on a different solution, did that ever happen? It's annoying enough to have my feeding rhythm interrupted by the seed pop-ups, but taking me to a whole different page would be *extremely* frustrating.

Female
2,137 posts

cranberrycat1 • 25 October 2022 at 5:07 PM

First, does anyone have an actual screenshot of what the gobblers look like in the event?

no, but they are light and they are a decent size, they can be easily missed

Also, I've seen it mentioned that if a gobbler appears and you go to another page, it won't reappear if you go back?

true

And if you open multiple new tabs at the same time (like clicking in a feed list), would the gobbler appear in all of them or just one?

never tried that

Third thing, I saw a thread from last year that there had been some bug and the fix meant that clicking a gobbler would take you to a separate page. Everyone seemed to hate it and a mod mentioned Ian was working on a different solution, did that ever happen?

didn't happen last year at least for me

feel like i might have restated what you have already read sorry if I did @heatherm19

Female
1,743 posts

minnie298a • 25 October 2022 at 5:35 PM

@heatherm19
I wasn't around for last years event, so things may have changed, but my experience from before that is:

https://imgur.com/a/HY30oN3

First, that is not my image. It's one I found from an older thread or blog post in 2020, but failed to keep a record of the OP. So if it's your image, thank you. Second, I think the gobbler image was tweaked a little to be slightly more darker/opaque since the picture was taken. They would show up anywhere. On the white profile bit, grey bottom bar, info box on the right or the brown background.

On the multiple tabs thing, in the years prior, if you opened multiple tabs, only one gobbler counted. So say you opened 20 tabs at once, and a gobbler appeared on pages 2,6,10,12 and 18. Well, only the first one clicked would be counted and the others would say something about having "found the gobbler before". However if after clicking and getting that message, the page refreshed and you spotted another, it was counted. The others still were not.

I use the Click - Ctrl-W method of feeding. In the past I have been able to use Ctrl-Shift-T to re open a tab to grab a gobbler that tried to escape. Again, this may no longer work, and was still reliant on the above multiple tabs thing. So I would only do it if I hadn't spotted a gobbler in that bundle of tabs. From memory, using the back button also worked. You couldn't nab the same gobbler multiple times.

I'll also mention that during November and the Gobbler hunt, I change my style of playing. At the moment I'm opening up to 150 tabs at a time to fast feed. That changes to 10 to 15 at a time to counteract the multiple tab thing.

Female
3,806 posts

sparklefox • 25 October 2022 at 5:54 PM

@heatherm19 - Sorry if any of these are hard to understand, I'm not always good at wording things.
(Also ninja'd in the middle of writing, but I guess I'll post it anyway.)

"First, does anyone have an actual screenshot of what the gobblers look like in the event?"
The closest thing I have is this pretty tiny screenshot from last year (sorry) - https://i.imgur.com/xdfvlP9.png
Gobblers are very transparent and easy to miss. Using a "dark mode" browser extension helps some people spot them easier (including me), but others have said they found it harder using one. I suppose you'll just have to try it out and see for yourself.

"Also, I've seen it mentioned that if a gobbler appears and you go to another page, it won't reappear if you go back? Is that true? And if you open multiple new tabs at the same time (like clicking in a feed list), would the gobbler appear in all of them or just one?"
If you use the back button on your browser, the Gobbler should still appear and you can still click on it.
And if you open multiple tabs at once you can see multiple Gobblers appear on them, but you can only click on one. Clicking on any others won't add them to your total.

"Third thing, I saw a thread from last year that there had been some bug and the fix meant that clicking a gobbler would take you to a separate page."
I think that was supposed to just be a quick temporary fix, unless I'm misremembering something. It might have been fixed by now so no more separate page, but we'll see.

Female
2,936 posts

heatherm19 • 25 October 2022 at 8:11 PM

Thank you all for the information! Especially those screenshots, that's very helpful.

@Ian could you confirm if clicking a gobbler will take you to a separate page in next month's event, or if it's been changed?