EggCavity 2.0

in General

Female
1,186 posts

lbowe_elbow • 19 January 2023 at 1:47 PM

EggCavity has a new look!

EggCavity was in MUCH need of a visual redo! Everything you know and love about EggCavity is still here! The website should also load and work faster due to a total re-work of the code.

I am currently working on a total re-do of the creature value guide, so stay tuned for that! I hope you enjoy the new look!

Please note some links have changed, however the old links should redirect you to the new ones!

Female
521 posts

sapphire12 • 19 January 2023 at 2:03 PM

@lbowe_elbow Thanks for this ❤️ It looks good!

Female
1,186 posts

lbowe_elbow • 19 January 2023 at 2:11 PM

@sapphire12

No problem! Please let me know if you run into any issues (:

Female
2,893 posts

heatherm19 • 19 January 2023 at 3:51 PM

@lbowe_elbow I had EggCavity open in a tab from a few days ago and just refreshed and it's WOW! Love the new look! I especially like how the creature index is set up. I haven't used the wishlist feature before but I'm thinking about it now, thank you for putting in the time to make such an awesome update!

Female
893 posts

murfijs • 20 January 2023 at 4:25 AM

@lbowe_elbow
tysm for doing this >.<

Female
1,186 posts

lbowe_elbow • 20 January 2023 at 11:00 AM

@heatherm19 Great! I hope you like the wishlist feature! It was very helpful for me while I was collecting the final pets and items I needed to finish my collections.

@murfijs of course! EggCavity needed a good revamp

Female
1,285 posts

daisycat • 20 January 2023 at 12:25 PM

@lbowe_elbow
Thank you for continuing to work on this! We all love the tools you offer and appreciate your hard work. ❤️
I found a couple small things on the main page:
It says "tricket travels" instead of "trinket".
The Egg Cave image at the bottom links to an error page instead of Egg Cave.

Female
1,186 posts

lbowe_elbow • 20 January 2023 at 1:23 PM

@daisycat thank you so much for looking! I got those fixed (:

@heatherm19
@murfijs
@sapphire12

If anyone has ideas of that tools to add to EggCavity next, please let me know!

Female
1,285 posts

daisycat • 20 January 2023 at 1:42 PM

@lbowe_elbow
Ooh I have an idea! c: When I first started, I was hoping Egg Cave or a site like Egg Cavity would have the creatures categorized as real animals etc. (I had wanted to know of all the cat-like creatures.)

@/wonder404exe had sent me this topic, but it's not updated. I think it would be a nice addition to have a page that lists the species in categories like cat, dog, bug, woodland, etc. You can build off of that topic's list, perhaps? Maybe give credit if desired? Some creatures would of course be listed in more than one category if they resemble more than one animal or if one user sees the animal differently than another. For example, the Gorri is a jackalope and can have its own category for someone searching "jackalope" but it could also be listed under rabbit / bunny. And then there could be a category for creatures who are unknown or are their own species, like the Luciales!

I'm sure old users would like this too, but it's especially nice for any newbies who want to add favorite animals to their wish list or goals. 😊

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 20 January 2023 at 11:00 PM

@lbowe_elbow
I would LOVE if there was a comparison tool for the travels. unlimited would be nice, but I'd be happy even if it was limited to 5, 10, 20. There are so many travels (& creatures) now, that it would be great if there was a check box option to select a few to compare close together instead of having to scroll and scroll and try to remember it in our brains. So many times i've had a long list of so many travels that look good on a creature and I was having a hard time narrowing it down.
This could either be done on the existing easy viewer pages, or a separate one (thinking just in case anything went wrong with the coding, easier to have a separate one to experiment on and have things still run smoothly for everyone else wanting to use the easy viewer tools.)
Also thinking if it was on one page perhaps we could even selected multiple travels and creatures?
In the very least is there any easy way to code being able to see the travels on multiple stages at once? (IF there was a way to work out only selecting a few travels to compare. All 198 Bajillion travels on all four stages would be a bit much >.< )

to add on to what daisycat said I do see frequent enough requests for people looking for help building these collections. (Easy enough to maintain lists here on site if anyone put forth the effort, but I can see people looking for something like that on Eggcavity too.)
Another category that's been brought up is food creatures, and I've known more than one person to have a collection of dessert creatures.

Female
1,186 posts

lbowe_elbow • 21 January 2023 at 11:48 AM

@daisycat
@snowywinter

I like both of those ideas (: I will work on implementing them

Androgynous
140 posts

eggcavity • 24 January 2023 at 12:45 AM

@daisycat
@snowywinter

I would like you guys to know that I have added the creature "animal inspirations" to EggCavity. We are calling them creature categories. However, there are only a few creatures with those categories currently listed. Please be patient as I sift through over 1,000 pets and add them

Female
1,285 posts

daisycat • 24 January 2023 at 12:47 AM

@eggcavity
Looking perfect so far! Thank you for implementing this. :-} Please no rush at all, take your time. 😊

Female
1,318 posts

twinkle • 24 January 2023 at 1:00 AM

@eggcavity
That is so awesome! Thank you for your time and effort 😊 ❤️

Female
1,186 posts

lbowe_elbow • 24 January 2023 at 1:02 AM

@daisycat
@twinkle

Happy to do it! Take a look at my newest post if you want to help categorize!

https://eggcave.com/forums/topic/77152?page=1#1689207

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 24 January 2023 at 1:14 AM

@lbowe_elbow

Omg, this is already looking amazing and I'll do my best to help out as time allows. It could be really fun!
I wish the Cat and Dog clubs were still active as I know they'd help out for sure (on more besides just their own groupings.)

Female
909 posts

icecream • 25 January 2023 at 9:29 PM

@lbowe_elbow
It seems that after the update my wishlist was deleted. I had a bunch of creatures on it but I checked my wishlist and it says that I have nothing on the list now.
The website looks great though. I like the tasma!

Female
1,186 posts

lbowe_elbow • 25 January 2023 at 9:52 PM

@icecream please DM me. I am going to look into this

Female
909 posts

icecream • 25 January 2023 at 9:56 PM

@lbowe_elbow
Thank you. Sent!

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 28 January 2023 at 1:29 AM

@lbowe_elbow Something (or idea) occurred to me with CRW here again... I don't think anyone has a compiled chart/layout that shows visually the Creatures by Day they were released.
(For me it was mostly a curiosity thing, but it could be quite handy for people wanting to understand why some of them may be valued higher than others, or why some are so rare comparatively.)
And I was thinking Eggcavity would be the perfect platform for that if there was enough interest and the team over there wanted to add something like that.

(currently I know there are lists somewhere that show what year they were released. but i don't think they specify by day??? )

It could even be the way they're displayed as a category on the Creature Index ???

I wish my computer skills were still what they used to be so I could make a couple mock-ups.
But I was thinking
Year (as text) and then a row of the creatures. And each consecutive row, the columns would line up to the year above. Day of the week listed up top and every five rows (for visual ease.)

(I know you are SUPER busy with so many ideas already, I just wanted to put this out there before I forgot to post about it.)

- - - - -

Also been meaning to say the text seems a little small under the eggs (Creature name & stages) on the Creature Index. Kind of hard for me to see. (not a criticism, just feedback.) (I wish I could remember all who all also had visual difficulties back from the Gobbler hunt so I could ping them and we could get their opinions. ...As I know we all have different conditions to contend with.)

Female
1,186 posts

lbowe_elbow • 28 January 2023 at 2:52 AM

@snowywinter

Hey! I also was thinking the text on the indexes is pretty small. Especially in mobile. I’ll see how I can fix it (:

For a timeline thing I’m not sure the best way to display it but I can try! I think just sorting the creatures in release order might be a bit boring lol. But maybe I can find a way to condense 13 years of releases into one interact-able graphic. If anyone is artistically creative and can draw up ideas that would be really helpful. I can make anything happen if I have the inspiration for it (:

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 28 January 2023 at 3:41 AM

@lbowe_elbow

Yay! (so long as it doesn't mess anything up. lol I never understood how changing text size can make some seemingly unrelated things go so wonky.)

Might be boring, but at least useful : P
("If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" , or something to that effect ~ Red Green)
I did a quick mock up of an example I was thinking of. (It's not EXACT, like it doesn't have links, and I'd make sure to get the images with the white backgrounds, but I didn't want to mentally exhaust myself just making a quick example.)
I LOVE this so MUCH, I'd spend the time making the full thing for myself if I could. As it is though this had/has me almost in tears from how bad my wrist was/is hurting by the end.)
(I REALLY want to compare the creatures by the day they were released. I don't know *why*, but that's interesting to me. Like I find it fun to find out that Day 1 creatures in both 2023 and 2017 both began with Z! ^^)

https://postimg.cc/grR1Tb5D (Expires in one month.)

I figure the links to the creature profiles would have all the pertinent info or I'd have the association in parentheses - a little smaller (about the size I have the Days)- underneath the names.
Like (Air) and (Earth) under dragons 1 & 3, and (Antarctica / Krill) etc for 2023.
(The latter if I was going to make the poster quality graphic for myself.)

The benefit of having something like this on 'Cavity is having the links to the stages without having to make a graphic version too crowded.