How would you classify these creatures?

in General

Will you use EggCavity's new creature category feature?

Female
893 posts

murfijs • 26 January 2023 at 7:26 AM

@lbowe_elbow
id love to be pinged!
i think the skrulline is a demon/cat hybrid

Female
1,186 posts

lbowe_elbow • 26 January 2023 at 11:37 AM

Alright everyone! I added 7 more polls to the website! The link is now in the inital post! More to come later today (:

@daisycat
@snowywinter
@twinkle
@bluewolf
@frankenstein
@shirothekittehlover
@dragrawr
@sapphire12
@murfijs

Female
1,285 posts

daisycat • 26 January 2023 at 11:46 AM

Yay, thank you Lucy!

@dragrawr
Glaciskal is inspired by... I'd think, dragon and dog...? Lil bit dinosaur? What say you, o creator.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 26 January 2023 at 12:14 PM

Ahjoon
personally I'd say no on Dog, but could see dog collectors wanting it as such (To me it's another original.)
I looked up the original concept and the creator had no description with the creature, but made it for the Lunar New Year, and that year was Year of the Dragon (which the original artwork last stage resembles a bit with flames licking around the outline.) (It was also a Water year!)
https://eggcave.com/forums/topic/11310

Aig
Yes on bird

Freezent
Winter
(Snowman, Element, Mythical would all work too though)

Froplet
Element

Glaciskal
Wolverine/Badger, Bear, (possibly dog,) Element
(Reminds me of the dinos with the ball on their tail.)

Glooble
Object
(whispers: still loving Oddly Sentient - I'm just going to keep dreaming ; P )

Goldshard
that's a toughie. Object or Element?

Are the polls on eggcavity not supposed to be working, or am I the only one getting error messages?

Female
1,285 posts

daisycat • 26 January 2023 at 12:29 PM

@snowywinter
I think it's just you the polls aren't working for. ☚ī¸ Or at least you're the only vocal one about it, maybe others are just like eh whatever and move on. 😱 There have been several votes cast today and yesterday.

Female
1,186 posts

lbowe_elbow • 26 January 2023 at 12:32 PM

@snowywinter They're working for me and others. What browser are you using?
I also saw your comment about changing the polls lol. You just edit the inital post and at the very top it says "close and overwrite poll" and you just click that

Added 12 more! Have fun (:

@daisycat
@snowywinter
@twinkle
@bluewolf
@frankenstein
@shirothekittehlover
@dragrawr
@sapphire12
@murfijs

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 26 January 2023 at 12:46 PM

@daisycat Glad to hear it's working for others ^^ (and true that some may just have not bothered if it didn't work.)

@lbowe_elbow Using Firefox 108 (Private Browsing) on Windows 10 (Home edition)
(Yeah, i know... I need to update Firefox)
Hmmm *thinking emoji* Pretty sure i tried that on the polls here before. If it doesn't work again, i guess I'll submit a ticket. (Though the most recent was around the time Eggcave was having a lot of coding issues.)

Edit, i don't know if you can see the Error on your side behind the scenes, but I just tried it on the Follet again. (Hoping that you may get info on what's going on.)

Female
1,186 posts

lbowe_elbow • 26 January 2023 at 1:03 PM

@snowywinter The polls are managed by another website called CrowdSignal. I have reached out to their support. Hopefully they come back with an answer quickly

Female
893 posts

murfijs • 26 January 2023 at 1:23 PM

i think there should be a spirit category.
i would include ghosty,ghostar, balrogipuwet,lazzar,luskrull,rhoull,Specouro(maybe?)

Female
2,523 posts

dragrawr • 26 January 2023 at 2:47 PM

@daisycat @lbowe_elbow

Hibisvul is a fox which is pretty obvious lol but Glaciskal is actually based off a seal ! Which is strange. I would say it fits the Monster category, as it is an apex predator and eventually looked like a seal/lamb/dog

Female
1,285 posts

daisycat • 26 January 2023 at 2:53 PM

@dragrawr
Ooh dang. I guess I never thought of seal cuz of the four leggies.
I never thought dog until the poll offered dog, and then I was like well it's got cute lil ears and the babies are called pups... but I had never viewed it as that. XD I just thought it to be dragon-like cuz I know you like dragons. :x But the tail makes me think dinosaur. And all of this makes me realize... original. It's just an original, unique idea!!

Female
2,523 posts

dragrawr • 26 January 2023 at 2:58 PM

@daisycat its cus theyre seal pups hehe 😸
also to further clarify on the seal thing, its back legs are more weak than the rest of their body, yet they can't swim well. It is a strange creature Mainly its face gives off seal

And thanks daisy youre so sweet

but yes to clarify it should be under "Monster" category since it was also based off an ankylosaurus. Its dino/seal/canine ! Which isn't really a category

Also it would be cool to have a user-suggested category, just so we can see the diversity there? @lbowe_elbow

Female
1,186 posts

lbowe_elbow • 26 January 2023 at 3:03 PM

@dragrawr You just want it to show up on their index page? I can do that if you want. I can add anything the creater of the creature wants to the index. Let me know if you want to include original art, or inspiration information, a link to the suggestion forum post, etc!

I just marked it as "original" so it'll go with OrderedChaos' Luciales (: since I wouldn't really call it a monster.

Female
2,523 posts

dragrawr • 26 January 2023 at 3:05 PM

That's fair ! It is original and a massive mix of things. Basically to me its an apex predator of some unknown world.

You can use the original image and link the forum post if you'd like! That would be wonderful! If you need any other info lmk I'm on here quite a bit

Female
1,186 posts

lbowe_elbow • 28 January 2023 at 1:05 AM

Who is ready for the next 12? (:
Sorry for the delay!

@daisycat
@snowywinter
@twinkle
@bluewolf
@frankenstein
@shirothekittehlover
@dragrawr
@sapphire12
@murfijs

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 28 January 2023 at 1:12 AM

@lbowe_elbow Thanks for looking into the voting/browser issue! ^^

Oof... I don't think I got to the last round.
(will edit if something else doesn't need my attention in the next hour, but other than that I at least wanted to let you know I seen your earlier post to me.)

Since Everyone else is Voting on cavity, should I PM you my answers or keep posting in the thread?

I kinda miss the huge discussion everyone was having, I loved seeing the thought processes surrounding what we all thought creatures were. Really fun ^^

Luvlei
Original, Fairy
(cat at a stretch, fairy possibly without even looking to see they live in Fairy World. hmmm... but thinking if I were looking for fairy creatures I'd probably want to see it in there. Come to think of it, Bolgfir would also probably belong in Fairy too. They might not *be* a fairy, but people who want a fairy type cove may appreciate it.)

Lypun
Other
Fungus/Mushroom, Fairy
(stand by this 100%)

Mackatron
Dragon, Element
(stand by this 100%)

Maggen
Dog
Original, possibly Monster

Magval
Element, Original, Monster

Mariyd
Monster, Spirit, Holiday (Christmas)

Maser
Lion
(though I suppose people looking for Monster or Demon, might see it as one. But even without looking it up my immediate response was "LION!")

Medis
(oh jeeze, all of the above?! Cat, Rabbit/Bunny, Fox, leaf thing. And I guess Dog.)
(not quite unusual enough for Original.) Element? Nature/Season? 'Leaf' is the first thing I think when I see it. (And there are quite a few leafy creatures on the site.)

Mefisto
Monster
demon?
(okay, this is one of the few creatures on the site i won't hesitate at all to label a Monster. It's like the epitome of what I'd expect to see if looking for Monsters on the sight. Delightful really.)

Meganox
Other:
(hmmm... I don't know what the category would be called but I've noticed a few creatures around the site inspired by pop culture, and a few of them definitely remind me of Pokemon. This is one of them.)

Morgoth
Original
possibly Weasel/Ferret

Morkhir
*at the mention of it goes into ecstatic conniptions*
I don't really know to be honest. I've tried to figure that out for so long. It's an alien beast with only resemblance to familiar things as far as I've concluded. But i love that fuzzy critter so danged much!
*looks through the options*
Hmmm... Chinchilla seems like a good guess... but it reminds me most of some sort of Aye-aye relative, closely related to lemurs (like the Indri)... or in this case some sort of relative to the Mokka.
Yes, locking in my answer of Lemur.
Lemur, Chinchilla (because they are soooo fluffy, and if I was looking for Chinchillas I'd want a Morkhir anyhow)

Moue
Mouse, Rabbit, Dog

Mummar
Halloween, Monster
Spooky ?

Muska
Muskrat/Rodent, Butterfly
(Muskrat look like little beavers. So fun to watch them swim. We used to have a lot in the ditches in our area.)
fairy ?

Mystic
Original, Monster

(To note I do try and classify these not just on what they were created as or inspired by, but mainly from the perspective of someone who wants a certain type of creature and is unfamiliar with the creatures or their lore; So they can open the category tab and go 'YES! I want one of THOSE!'... not 'WHAT the heck is *that* ?!')

Female
1,314 posts

twinkle • 28 January 2023 at 1:27 AM

@lbowe_elbow
Thanks, Lucy!
I answered Dinosaur and Other for the Magval poll. It can also be classified a 'Rock' similar to the Jordev (https://eggcavity.com/indexes/creatures?category=Rock) 😊

Medis looks like a rabbit to me. I also voted 'Other' as it could also be a plant ^^

Female
1,285 posts

daisycat • 28 January 2023 at 11:03 AM

Morgoth is a squirrel. c:
Moue is totally a doggo.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 29 January 2023 at 6:27 AM

@daisycat
Morgorth - Yesh! Squirrel, of course! (why didn't I see that before?!)

Non-binary
28 posts

watercress • 4 February 2023 at 6:25 AM

I keep forgetting egg cavity is a thing LOL, this is fun though, I've definitely stared at a few creatures before like..... What animal is that... Kinda like with some pokemon

Female
586 posts

nanami • 4 February 2023 at 8:18 AM

That was fun, will we get more polls like this?

Female
1,186 posts

lbowe_elbow • 6 February 2023 at 6:53 PM

Next up is just asking what categories you think we should keep around!

@daisycat
@snowywinter
@twinkle
@bluewolf
@frankenstein
@shirothekittehlover
@dragrawr
@sapphire12
@murfijs
@nanami

Female
2,523 posts

dragrawr • 6 February 2023 at 6:54 PM

@lbowe_elbow like which in the creature index ? : 0

Female
1,186 posts

lbowe_elbow • 6 February 2023 at 6:59 PM

@dragrawr yep! We've got SO MANY categories. I thought it might be helpful to trim back. But it would be nice to get other peoples' opinions!

Female
2,523 posts

dragrawr • 6 February 2023 at 8:11 PM

Categories to consider getting rid of and solutions:

Alicorn, Horse, Donkey/Mule, Pegasus, Unicorn, Zebra-> Equine
|
Alien -> mysterious asteroid
|
Alligator/Crocodile, Chameleon, Lizard, Snake, Iguana, Turtle, Tortoise -> Reptile

All cave commons -> Cave Commons

Bee/Wasp, Beetle, Bug, Centipede, Dragonfly, Ladybug, Mantis, Scorpion, Spider -> Invertebrates (Insects/Spiders/Etc)

Cactus, Plant, Tree -> Plants/Succulents

Chicken, Crow, Duck, Eagle, Flamingo, Goose, Hummingbird, Kiwi, Ostrich, Owl, Peacock, Penguin, Swan, Turkey, Vulture -> Bird/Avian

Dragon's Den (isnt this just Dragold's?)

Element vs. Elemental ?? (arent these also the same)

Kangaroo, Koala, Opossum -> Marsupials

Leopard, Lion, Lynx, Puma, Tiger -> Big Cats

Lobster -> Crustacean

Mouse/Rat -> Rodent

Female
893 posts

murfijs • 7 February 2023 at 1:22 AM

All the categories sound reasonable to me ^^

Other
136 posts

pauloacacio • 7 February 2023 at 7:22 AM

I don't know, have to think about it...