[Spring/Bug Theme] Creature Suggestion: Vitrall

in Fan Art & Creature Suggestions

Female
3,806 posts

sparklefox • 9 March 2023 at 12:37 PM

EDIT: I may redraw the last stage at one point because I'm very unhappy with it.
(Reminder to self; I'd like it to look more like the original idea I doodled to myself and less like this bad attempt at drawing a cartoon glasswing butterfly.)
I hope editing this will help to both remind and motivate me...

Another dumb idea I've had bouncing around my head for a few months now - apparently since December according to some notes. Actually drawing it out was pretty challenging, but kinda fun regardless. The Vitrall is a combination of the glasswing butterfly (but much more cartoony) and stained glass designs (mostly abstract ones). I tried to keep the patterns fairly simple so it wouldn't look terribly messy at a small size.

Vitrall = "Stained glass window" in Catalan (according to Wiktionary, anyway).

Image: https://i.imgur.com/8vCMQz3.png
(Not completely happy with the way the last stage looks, but I really don't want to redo it yet again...)

Egg Description:
During spring, one may find a Vitrall egg or two hiding amongst beds of flowers. These tiny eggs are a pretty sight indeed on a bright day, with the way the light reflects off their patterned shells.

Creature Description:
Curious and playful, Vitrall caterpillars are a pretty common sight on sunny spring days in Ark City. They're pretty hard to miss too, considering their fairly larger size compared to most caterpillar species on the island. When not munching on tree leaves and playing with others of their kind, Vitralls can be seen sitting curled up on flowers whilst enjoying the warmth of the sunshine.

Near the end of spring, the Vitrall caterpillars begin to develop all sorts of strange-looking spines all over their bodies. These spines are made of some kind of glass-like material, and are in actuality the Vitrall slowly forming a protective cocoon. Soon the Vitrall will be engulfed in what appears to be numerous shards of broken coloured glass, ready to safely grow into their next stage of life. Be sure to never brush your hand against a cocooned Vitrall, as the spines mimic seemingly everything about shattered glass - right down to the sharpness.

The wings of the peaceful adult Vitralls are reminiscent of stained glass windows. These wings even shine like glass when the sunshine hits off them. Vitralls are proud of their shimmering wings and love to vainly show them off wherever possible. Research conducted by the SARC has shown that the membrane on the Vitrall's thin glassy wings consists of the same material as their cocoons.

(I'll probably redo the description later. The spines in the picture don't exactly look much like glass, but I'm not an artist and I'm sorry...)

Female
1,303 posts

daisycat • 9 March 2023 at 2:30 PM

@sparklefox
I can guarantee I'd spend CC on this for the baby stage, if it ends up looking identical to your drawing and is a CSP. I LOVE it. It's extremely adorable and well done!! I love insects irl, and collect certain ones on here, and this would be a must.

I would definitely still want to oh so gently pet the sharp, glassy chrysalis. The idea of a butterfly with stained glass wings is so beautiful and captivating. Your drawing is so cute, I love the proboscis, eyes, and the way the arms are positioned omg. 😊

"Vitralls can be seen sitting curled up on flowers whilst enjoying the warmth of the sunshine"
I love the image of your caterpillar drawing all curled up in a flower, I can imagine it now. :,) Also reminds me of my beloved Scrunchy's travel. πŸ’š

@matcha, you'll love this. πŸ›

Edit: This is one of my top favorite creature suggestions I've seen on here. I love the baby so much. *o*

Female
2,552 posts

dragrawr • 9 March 2023 at 2:36 PM

@sparklefox omg it’s so cute !! Those baby stages are killing me I’d have it freeze one !!

Female
177 posts

pastelrabbit • 9 March 2023 at 3:19 PM

@sparklefox Omg this is adorable, it also sorta gives off PokΓ©mon vibes!

Gender Nonconforming
225 posts

dibabeebees • 9 March 2023 at 3:27 PM

fdgvybhjsnkbuyihefgrbf
yuo done did stole my iddea/j
its so cute!!

Male
94 posts

matcha • 9 March 2023 at 10:23 PM

@sparklefox Really cool design! Very cute 😊

Thanks for tagging me @daisycat

Female
894 posts

murfijs • 10 March 2023 at 1:07 AM

@sparklefox really cool design, it could be related to the mechamotte

321 posts

chihiro_sang • 10 March 2023 at 10:44 AM

It's a cool design, and given the Smokemuth has a crystalline body, it matches with some existing creatures.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 10 March 2023 at 11:01 AM

Oooh, I love the idea of a stained-glass winged butterfly!
I'm already transfixed by the interesting varieties of clear-winged insects out in nature, and would to see something similar reflected here.
Not quite sure about the color selection though. (not bad, but something seems a bit off. I can't pinpoint it.)

Found this while looking up pictures of Glasswing butterflies, cicadas, and dragonflies:
https://www.wired.com/2011/01/insect-wing-color/
o.O These people need to spend more time outdoors... just *being*. I miss laying out on the deck among the goldenrod just watching the bees fly by. Watching their wings shimmer as they collected pollen.

181 posts

noman15 • 10 March 2023 at 11:14 AM

Glasswing butterflies are cool, hope it gets made.

Female
1,575 posts

sorrow • 11 March 2023 at 2:03 AM

@sparklefox
that. first. stage. so cute! i love the purple/pink theme.

Demifluid
1,504 posts

wonder404exe • 11 March 2023 at 3:46 PM

@sparklefox
The creatures these says are eating my CC
WE NEED MORE CUTE BUGS πŸ› πŸ¦‹

Female
328 posts

passionate • 13 March 2023 at 2:20 AM

absolutely adorable i love it

edit: and u are most certainly an artist i think the last stage looks greattttt! i can picture this lil guy curled up and cute

Female
26 posts

xmar_27 • 13 March 2023 at 12:03 PM

Really good looking stages, also the colorcombo fits nicely. Somehow reminds me of the pokemon Butterfree 😸

Female
324 posts

disney • 30 March 2023 at 3:42 PM

@sparklefox - I love this! I feel like this could totally be a route 1 bug Pokemon!

1st stage is absolutely my fave, it's so adorable! I love all the stages though πŸ˜ƒ

Female
114 posts

pooh • 31 March 2023 at 2:58 PM

@sparklefox I like it! I like butterfies and I like stained glass windows 😊 Nice idea to make it all together πŸ˜ƒ And make some parts transparent looks great to me.