Help me decide if i want to watch this

in Entertainment

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 27 April 2023 at 11:27 PM

Edit Nov 2023: I've pretty much moved on from deciding about the movie in my initial post.
Left the thread open in case anyone else wanted to get feedback before viewing other films.

- - - - -

In the past I've had huge shocks not expecting certain things, where movies turn out totally different than how it was described, promoted, etc.
Not that they're always bad, but I don't like being surprised like that and am sometimes in the mood for different things. (i.e. 'Rainbow Butterfly Unicorn Kitty' and "Game of Thrones' are TOTALLY different vibes.)

Anyhow if I have enough energy after feeding some creatures here tonight I was thinking of watching the 'Lost Girls' movie (the one where Pan is obsessed with Wendy's Bloodline. Edit: The 2022 film, NOT the one from 2020.) - Is it even close to sort of being a dark fairy tale of old, but still appropriate for the pre-teen age group, or is it darker gorier?
(Like I LOVE 'Le Pacte des Loups' , and i do mean, I LOVE that movie... but it would be too much for me tonight.)

I've heard next to zilch about the movie before aside from the name.
(And I don't want to accidentally run across spoilers looking it up in search.)

Edit # 2
When I had more time I caved and looked up more info on the movie (unfortunately did run into spoilers), and sounds like it might be a bit too vulgar for me tonight.

[ Feel free to use this thread in the future if anyone else wants to ask for recommendations. ]

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 27 April 2023 at 11:37 PM

@snowywinter
If you've taken the time to ask others about if this movie is worth watching I think you've already made up your mind to watch it.

BTW I've never heard of this movie before but it sounds interesting.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 27 April 2023 at 11:50 PM

@mastergemma

I haven't talked to anyone about Lost Girls before tonight when I told someone else in my household that I might watch it.
(The Eggcave community is pretty much is 99.5% of my social circle these days.
And I've been sick and barely even touching my messages the past two weeks.)

I probably am going to watch it at some point.... I just like knowing what *type* of content to expect. (that advisory warnings can be so off-base and out of touch a lot of the times. I find asking people, actual people, provides so much more clarity - even those who have their own biases.)

I like seeing people's different takes on different stories ^^ - And While Peter Pan wasn't one of my favorite tales growing up, as I grew up I really started to enjoy the different pokings at different aspects. (I think Finding Neverland was one of my favorites.)
(I personally NEVER get tired of retellings of Red Riding Hood no matter the genre or rating.)

Cis Female
604 posts

kataclysm • 7 November 2023 at 8:04 AM

@snowywinter Did you ever go back and watch this movie? It sounds like a promising concept.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 7 November 2023 at 8:12 AM

@kataclysm
As interesting as it sounds, no i didn't end up watching. (...yet?)
Some combination between it sounding like it comes close to subject matter that is hard for me to handle, being downright busy & sick, and my attention being drawn in 50 bajillion ways.

Thanks for checking in to see ^^

Female
1,733 posts

lexicon • 7 November 2023 at 9:46 AM

@snowywinter

Don't know if you did this but in the future maybe try searching for the movie with "trigger warnings" attached to the search? I found some parental guides that give you an idea of what to expect without spoiling too much plot!

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1023464/parentalguide

It seems like there's some nonconsensual/suggestive content but nothing too explicit, some emotional trauma, and mild violence in this particular movie! Do you know what platform to find it on? I don't mind giving it a watch if I can and letting you know how accurate that is 😊

Female
2,718 posts

jlya • 7 November 2023 at 11:58 AM

@lexicon @snowywinter
My family uses that site all the time to see whether we'd like to risk an R-rated movie. Highly recommend it. I appreciate knowing how much angst to expect in a movie without spoilers.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 7 November 2023 at 3:44 PM

@lexicon
a subject matter i have a hard time with even if only alluded to.
I have to work up the mental fortitude if I'm going to watch something along those lines/themes.

Thank you for the search suggestion and offer to pre-screen
I actually used a couple sites when looking it up that separate reviews by age group (and used a couple other titles I'm familiar with as a control/ get a sense for their opinions vs mine.)
going to hold off on the offer to pre-screen, but I'm not going to stop you from watching it. lol. Please do share your opinion though if you do ^^
I have an easy time finding ways to watch films (usually, unless its super rare.) but i have (legal) options beyond what Google curates. (i.e. local video rental, library, etc.)
(Edit: after I posted I realized you may be asking where to find it, I have no problem looking again later if need be, but can't remember off the top of my head. Currently on tablet... which takes my comprehension down by about 90%.)

@jlya
lol. "I like knowing how much angst..."
you had me laughing. Not one of my criteria, but i can so relate. Now I'm imagining a site with drama llama ratings *inserts Deviant Art's llama badge emoticon*