Longleaf Valley - play game, plant trees IRL!

in Entertainment

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 5 June 2023 at 4:32 PM

I have way too much going on right now, but I saw the ad for this (nearly its one year anniversary,) and HAD to try it.

With so many games out there hard-pressed on being lucrative by dominating the land, animals, and becoming a titan, the concept of restoring the wilderness was welcomingly refreshing for me. (I keep seeing this ad for this logging tycoon game -SoWishWeCouldBlockAds- and it always makes me wish someone would make one of these games about helping the environment instead. ...I even looked a few months back and couldn't find any.)

It touts itself as a merge game, but it's almost a basic match two in complexity. (A monkey could probably learn to play it, definitely a crow or magpie.)
I just started last night, so maybe it gets more complex over time, but I think they tried to keep it simple so people of all ages could play it.
So far seems to run without glitches.
Can single tap on any item to see what the merge stages are! (Really helpful to people like me with short memories or want to return to a game months after putting it down. (I'm playing another merge game and it has NOwhere to look to see the merge stages . Really frustrating.)

by TreesPlease Games
current charity partner - Eden Reforestation Project*
(* I saw that and it was pretty much a done deal on me downloading the game : P
They've been doing BIG things ^^)

(Currently only available in English. Sorry!)

(I'm already over halfway to earning a tree planted!
Hope in the future we have the option to pick where our donations end up. I miss that about Care2.
But I'm just grateful I can help out at all while having a bit of fun/relaxing.)

- - - - -
Went into a deep dive before remembering to post (like trying to remember if Eden was tired to the Green Wall project in Africa, if I could find other simple pro-environment games, etc...
and was surprised running across the statistic that I'm not alone in wanting more positive/productive messaging in my video games. I was thinking *maybe* up to 40% of gamers would care.
According to this** group's survey it was 80% ! Could be skewed, or it's just the reality we live in now. *shrug emoji* ...Still nice to know I'm not alone in this. ...and there's a chance I could see more games I'd actually want to play.
** https://playing4theplanet.org/news/confirmed-playing-video-games-can-lead-to-climate-action

Still... I shouldn't be surprised. Even when I was playing an age-restricted adult-content open-sandbox game... The highest rated lands were usually the forests where people could enjoy nature walks. ^^ )

Earned first tree 6 June 23 😊

7 June - things are getting a bit tougher. It started throwing random unmovable frozen ice blocks at me and they were accumulating. Took me a whole day to get to where I could conquer them.

wanting to tell everyone about this game is forcing me out of my hidey hole. I actually texted a couple people today. AND told them to spread the word. (I'm usually not so bold.)

14 June 23
earned 2nd tree planted! ^^ (but the time it took may be off... the household agreed to spend the money and buy a package to have 8 more planted in that time. and the tree 'ticket' system and total count runs off the same counter / part of the game.)

Game is getting a little more difficult. Needing to remember the series of things needed to make other things active/available to produce the things needed to merge the final objects. ...and so many different categories to keep track of.

Still trying to tell everyone I can possibly think of about the game. (I even pestered fruitbat until he finally passed on the message to his tattoo artist! LOL : P )

19 June
Wondering if anyone has even read my post or if this is just turning into a personal journal. Has anyone tried the game? Added it to their wishlist? etc.

Non-binary
1,416 posts

provo7demons • 17 August 2023 at 7:58 AM

I have the game downloaded! I've planted two or three trees so far, but I haven't played in a while...I'll have to start playing again!

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 17 August 2023 at 2:25 PM

@provo7demons Your timing is funny to me. I took a bit of hiatus from a lot of my tablet games (so I could watch some shows and movies) and kept meaning to update my post. ...and i just started playing Longleaf Valley again Yesterday! : D

Thanks for posting! Glad to see someone else joining in ^^ Yay, more trees!

Female
1,127 posts

musical_slytherclaw • 18 August 2023 at 9:45 PM

this game sounds fun, and it'll be going towards a good cause - I'll definitely be checking it out! thank you for the recommendation 😊 ❤️

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 10 September 2023 at 5:04 PM

@musical_slytherclaw I meant to check in after a week but time got away from me
How are you liking the game so far?

I'll be updating any day now about planting another tree (I meant to play more but I hadn't until a few days ago.)
SO glad I actually bought the dog in the first few days it was offered. I've been playing the puppy event for the 2nd or 3rd time it's come up and I'm no closer to having any of them. I'm always shy by a few hours.
(And the dog is VERY helpful in creating energy, leaves, and coins! Would love to be able to upgrade or have a companion for it. lol.)

One thing I would recommend for saving space is waiting until having about 40 or so of the task rewards before collecting & combining them to maximize how many of the backpack upgrades are collected.
(probably should edit this into my main post at some point.)