Star Trek?

in Entertainment

Female
242 posts

amethyst_elf448 • 5 July 2023 at 5:38 PM

Hiya! A few months ago I decided that I wanted to watch all of Star Trek and hopefully read some of the books or comics if I can get my hands on them. So far I've watched the original series, the animated series and movies 1-6, as well as the Kelvin timeline movies. I'm on the third season of TNG right now (so please no spoilers lol).

I'm wondering if anyone else on here is a fan and would like to chat about Trek?

Female
1,733 posts

lexicon • 5 July 2023 at 10:53 PM

@amethyst_elf448

TOS is everything ;-; So much so that I haven't been able to watch TNG bc I don't want any new characters but Kirk+gang lol really enjoyed the Kelvin movies and Strange New Worlds if you haven't seen it but I have to go back and watch the old movies!

(My cat's name is Tiberius like James T. Kirk lol. We call him Tib 😸)

Female
242 posts

amethyst_elf448 • 6 July 2023 at 1:08 AM

@lexicon rant incoming I'm so sorry I have so many trek thoughts piled up

I was the same way moving to TNG! I'd got so attached to the original crew and so used to them being on the bridge that it was so weird having a new people but it was totally worth it. Data and Geordie and their friendship is honestly amazing, and I'm realising maybe I've got a weird thing for doctors? Because Bones was my fave TOS character and now Crushers one of my faves in TNG πŸ˜ƒ.

But yeah TOS really is everything. It was so goofy and some of the effects did get a bit of a laugh out of me but a lot of it still holds up today. It's the only show I can think of that can go from thought provoking social commentary to McCoy chasing the white rabbit from Alice in wonderland, back to social commentary and then go to oh no what are we going to do about these cute little fluffy aliens.

I haven't seen strange new worlds yet but it does seem really good. The Kelvin timeline is awesome (although I am ever so slightly biased because Karl Urban is one of my favourite actors at the minute πŸ˜‹). Beyond is probably my second favourite Trek movie overall. The old ones are so worth it though! I feel like the general agreement is that 2 4 and 6 are better than 1 3 and 5, but I honestly really liked the 5th one so it really does just come down to your personal opinion lol. The voyage home is amazing in my opinion (my favourite movie) and it's got that balance of interesting commentary and really goofy humour ("I'm from Iowa, I only work in outer space" lol) that made tos so enjoyable.

Anyway rant over your cat is amazing and I love him ⁠^⁠‿⁠^

(Edit after posting: okay wow this is longer than I thought it was, the text box made it look way smaller β•₯⁠﹏⁠β•₯)

Female
1,733 posts

lexicon • 6 July 2023 at 7:44 AM

@amethyst_elf448

How were you able to get over it and love the new characters?? And how long did it take lol I really want to give TNG a try but it's been literally 10 years lol. Actually I did watch The Orville and thought it was really good!!

Star Trek is amazing in that it has a good balance of thought-provoking commentary on space and our place in the universe...with an alien that's clearly a dog in a costume xD. It has a special place in my heart ❀️

SNW was great! I'm still watching the second season. It was weird to see different actors play them again ngl but they did great! It actually got me to like T'Pring as a character who I never really cared about. Quinto and Saldana's Spock and Uhura romance though???? Everything to me. I also love Karl Urban! (Have you seen The Boys?)

I will watch the movies and let you know what I think!!

I'll come back and send a pic of Tib. Bing himbo energy just like Kirk, goes where he's not supposed to xD. Also- I graduate with my Master's program in August and I have an idea to decorate my cap Star Trek themed!! My idea is a space/galaxy background with the words "To boldly go" and a mini Enterprise, thoughts??

Female
242 posts

amethyst_elf448 • 6 July 2023 at 11:21 AM

@lexicon

It honestly didn't take that long, between ten or so episodes to the halfway point of season 1. For some characters it took a little longer than others, like it was weird having Worf on the crew just because the Klingons were the Big Bad Guys for the majority of the original series. But other than that they grew on me really quickly, and there were plenty of callbacks to tos, especially at the begining of the show. I also really liked that the first two episodes were a two parter (although they're merged into the same episode on Netflix) because it had a longer story that really let the characters get introduced. I know they found ways to bring back actors from tos for one off episodes, although I've only watched one of those so far, and I'm looking forward to those episodes.

I've never heard of The Orville before and I'll have a look for it when I get time! What's it about?

It's always so funny to see the things they try to pass off as Sci Fi Futuristic Things, like the dog with a horn lol. But I think my favourite thing is the very recognisable pair of Dyson Airblades either side of the doors to medbay in star trek 2009.

I had no idea they brought T'Pring back for snw! Is she a member of starfleet or just on the show sometimes? Amok time is one of my favourite episodes (partially because I am a Spirk shipper for the original series and that episode has my favourite moment with Mr Unemotional Vulcan being very emotional). But for the new movies Spock and Uhura are everything you're so right, they balance each other out really well I think and Quinto and Saldana act the part really well. Also the "you gave your girlfriend radioactive jewellery" scene is pure gold.

And I have seen The Boys! Everyone in that show is phenomenal (Homelander is completely and totally terrifying) and I admit that I cried a few times at some scenes. I'm a few episodes into season 3 now. I think the last episode I watched was either 3 or 4, whichever one Butcher pukes the green stuff on Hughie at the end of, which was equal parts gross and hilarious.

Kirk is absolutely big bimbo energy, I agree, and he's equal parts mischievous cat climbing on top of the fridge and a hyperactive puppy getting mud everywhere. I really hope to get a cat someday, and I'd probably end up naming it after a fictional character lol.

Congratulations on your masters! What did you study, if you're comfortable sharing? And that's such an amazing idea for a cap decoration and a great way to personalise it. What if you tried to recreate the trek font for the writing on the cap?

Non-binary
2,819 posts

lunacharm1037 • 6 July 2023 at 5:55 PM

OMG I love all the episodes in all the series. I especially loved General Martok ❀️ I have a cat named Targ lol

i watched in order..TOS, DS9, TNG, Voyager and then Enterprise with capt Archer. Time line it would be the first series as the Enterprise is a class1 ship. Capt Piccard in TNG had a class 3 Enterprise and Voyager was a class 4. Loved it all

Female
242 posts

amethyst_elf448 • 6 July 2023 at 6:20 PM

@lunacharm1037 Yay another Trekkie!

I've been working my way through in order too (ignoring rewatching my favourite bits and me jumping ahead to watch the time travel tribble episode of ds9 because I wanted to lol). Just from that one episode I loved the characters and I'm really looking forward to ds9 after I've finished TNG!

Do you think you've got a favourite out of all the series?

Non-binary
2,819 posts

lunacharm1037 • 6 July 2023 at 6:38 PM

@amethyst_elf448
it would be a toss-up between DS9 and Voyager..I used to have a toy Klingon BoP but when I moved it got lost ☹️ In DS9 I really loved it all except for the Area 31 episodes.

Female
242 posts

amethyst_elf448 • 6 July 2023 at 8:22 PM

@lunacharm1037

Ooo cool good to know! And it's a shame about your Klingon, it always sucks to lose something that you care about ☹️

Non-binary
2,819 posts

lunacharm1037 • 7 July 2023 at 11:08 AM

It was a cool Klingon Bird of Prey and the exact same green color as shown on tv. lol Sadly it was a gift from my then boyfriend. But I somehow managed to lose it.

Female
242 posts

amethyst_elf448 • 7 July 2023 at 5:37 PM

Aw no that's so sad, I'm sorry that happened. The bird of prey is one of my favourite ship designs from the shows, it's got a quite unique look to it.

Female
1,733 posts

lexicon • 7 July 2023 at 11:22 PM

@amethyst_elf448

Sorry for my late reply!

The Orville is Star Trek inspired, it's not a part of the franchise but scratches that galactic shenanigans itch! It's about a space crew on a starship having adventures. Really enjoyed it, would recommend

T'Pring isn't on the crew just shows up for a few episodes. One of them is absolutely hilarious and actually very wholesome. I don't know if they're endgame or not?? But I actually like them together. She's very Vulcan but also understanding and sweet :')

Cats are a whole vibe man. I love my guy he's adorable but also very chaotic. He growls at delivery people and loves smelling new people xD

Thank you so much!! It's in Clinical Mental Health Counseling 😊. I will def look into how to match the font, might have to cut some foam letters and do it myself! Thanks for the idea❀️

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 7 July 2023 at 11:33 PM

I don't have much to add, but I have more recently begun to appreciate what a cultural gem the Star Trek franchise is for the world over. Although in some ways the older series may be a bit outdated, in so many ways they are also timeless. (I say "more recently" but yeesh, i just now realized it's been nearly a decade ago! since I begun catching a few random reruns on the H&I network. - However long ago it was it's made me consider starting from the beginning too ^^)

I've caught a lot of flak for this but my favorite growing up was Next Generation.

Only newer series i've caught so far is Discovery (started it when it first aired, but been catching up slowly ever since.)

I too LOVE The Orville! So similar to Trek in so many ways, yet doesn't take itself too seriously.
(Totally heartbroken it was essentially cancelled... or relegated to the streaming limbo of doom.)

Thanks for this thread. Put a smile on my face. Following even if I don't contribute any more : )

(Acronyms/abbreviations of any type usually confuse the heck out of me.)

Female
242 posts

amethyst_elf448 • 8 July 2023 at 5:35 AM

@lexicon Don't worry about being late its not a problem : D

I'll definitely have a look into the Orville, it sounds really fun. There's always more room for space shenanigans in my life lol

Vulcans and wholesome don't usually go together all too often, but when they do it is amazing. I love seeing them really show how they're feeling! I'm looking forward to seeing their T'Pring and Spock's relationship. Not knowing if they're endgame or not would stress me out so much because then in the end if they don't end up together I'd be back to denial once again. Ignoring canon is one of my favourite hobbies : )

Cats are cats, who even knows what's going on in their brains!

@snowywinter

Trek is so culturally significant and you're right, so many of the messages still hold strong today. Just about how people should be respected and are deserving of equality, and I think the universe star trek presents is in a lot of ways the ideal world we should work towards. Of course there are some elements that didn't age as well (probably the funniest being the hairstyles, they're aggressively 80s in the original series movies).

The next generation is really good! It's so weird you got flak for that, I've seen a lot of people actually suggesting watching TNG first if they're new to Trek.

I watched a bit of discovery like two or three years ago when it was still on Netflix, but then I took a break for a week and it was gone (not the first time that's happened and most likely not the last). I had to drop it after that which was a shame because i really liked it. At this point I don't remember much so I'd probably just start from the beginning again lol

That sucks about the Orville getting cancelled, there are so many shows that deserved a proper ending but never got one. It's so unsatisfying because now there's a bunch of plot threads left hanging (although we do have fanfic to help which does ease the passing).

I'm glad this made you smile, and it's lovely to have you here even if it's only for this post. ❀️

Female
1,733 posts

lexicon • 8 July 2023 at 10:48 AM

@amethyst_elf448

Here is the boy in question: https://i.imgur.com/VfWbv0g.jpg 😊

Female
242 posts

amethyst_elf448 • 8 July 2023 at 12:16 PM

@lexicon

OH HE'S ADORABLE. He looks so fluffy I love his little white patches and socks (I think he's got socks). He's just the best boy ❀️

Female
1,733 posts

lexicon • 8 July 2023 at 3:24 PM

@amethyst_elf448

He's got white socks AND white boots ^^ https://i.imgur.com/E4h23sQ.jpg

Also not me finding out on this forum about The Orville getting canceled ;o;

Female
242 posts

amethyst_elf448 • 9 July 2023 at 1:29 PM

@lexicon

I think ive got a new favourite cat ❀️

Also props to the internet for revealing/spoiling anything and everything fandom related!

Female
228 posts

discordia • 3 November 2023 at 8:33 AM

Voyager will always be my favourite Star Trek series.

168 posts

kalessin • 3 November 2023 at 9:21 AM

I love all of Star Trek and TNG is the best, I hope you enjoy your watch-through @amethyst_elf448!

I hope you like my Soith, NCC-1701-A!

I liked reading everyone's excitement about the shows, they are just so important and it's great to see that Star Trek touches everything even EggCave πŸ˜ƒ

Female
242 posts

amethyst_elf448 • 3 November 2023 at 1:03 PM

@discordia ooo I haven't seen any of voyager yet, but I'm looking forward to it 😊

@kalessin I am really enjoying TNG, the characters are so lovable and I can't think of one I don't like (even Q, he's a nuisance but he's OUR nuisance and we love him for it). And your Soith is amazing, you've got probably the ultimate Star Trek name there πŸ˜ƒ

And it has been lovely talking with everyone about their favourite eras and shows, seeing how important it is to everyone is amazing ❀️

Female
228 posts

discordia • 4 November 2023 at 4:54 PM

@amethyst_elf448
The cast is pretty passionate and does well with acting, the Borg in particular are interesting and the Delta Quadrant introduces a lotta new stuff.

Female
17 posts

trekie1701 • 19 November 2023 at 8:11 PM

OMG OMG OMG!! Fellow Trekies! OMG I am so happy! I am new to the game but LOVE Trek. ALL THINGS TREK!
@amethyst_elf448 I love trek. My partner got me into it. I actually have William and Elizabeth Shatner's Breyer model All Glory signed by Elizabeth

Gender Nonconforming
1,249 posts

frankenstein • 19 November 2023 at 9:11 PM

I'm going to have to come back to this forum when I have a little more time, but I'm also a huge Trekkie!

My cat's name is Kirk, and he's naughty, lol.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to watch any of the newer Treks, but I'm a big fan of TOS, TNG, Voyager, and DS9. I didn't care for Enterprise, so I can't speak much to it.

I've seen all the films as well, and though the newest ones are pretty great, Voyage Home holds a special place in my heart. Also Nemesis, because young Tom Hardy > . > yum yum lol

Female
17 posts

trekie1701 • 19 November 2023 at 9:15 PM

@frankenstein Janeway is my spirit animal. Not kidding

Female
242 posts

amethyst_elf448 • 1 December 2023 at 12:59 PM

@trekie1701 Heyo! I'm sorry it took you posting on my wall to remember to reply, it completely slipped my mind πŸ˜ƒ

It's awesome that you've got that model! I had to Google what you meant, is it the one with kirk and picard on the horses?

I'm watching strange new worlds at the minute (literally right now I'm watching "all those who wander") and I'm loving it so far! I jumped forward and watched Subspace Rhapsody first (just because I wanted to watch them sing lol) and then went back to the beginning and I'm working my way through now. Honestly it's probably my favourite series of the ones I've watched. I'm loving the crew dynamics and the cast is really good.

I don't know what it is, but I always end up liking the doctors! McCoy was my favourite character in tos (and in the reboots too honestly) and I love Crusher in tng, although my favourites there are probably Data and Geordie. Same thing is happening with snw now because I adore Christine (ever so slightly got a crush on her but that's mostly unrelated).

What about you, favourite series, capt, character?

@frankenstein I am LOVING all the cats in this topic its the best part

The voyage home is so amazing, probably my joint favourite movie. Its the perfect original trek mix of heartwarming story and just the dumbest hijinks imaginable. The conversation with Gillian about whether or not they like Italian always makes me laugh.

Female
17 posts

trekie1701 • 2 December 2023 at 4:05 PM

I am so excited! I have the Gold TOS uniform coming from Build A Bear for my favorite stuffie! Complete with Tribble

Female
242 posts

amethyst_elf448 • 3 December 2023 at 5:11 AM

@trekie1701 AHH that's gonna be so cute (and of course it wouldn't be complete without a tribble). Congrats on your bears acceptance into starfleet! 😊

A few months ago I was tempted by the playmobil enterprise set, but i had to stop myself because I'd have nowhere to put it and also its EXPENSIVE. πŸ˜‹ (it also comes with tiny wee tribbles and that almost did it for me lol)