creature rarity

in General

234 posts

spookyfrog • 1 December 2023 at 12:36 PM

So, since there is a guaranteed amount of Patattas released, for a brief moment there is some scope on the rarity of creatures.

In the archives, you can see where each creature stands based on population count. The Tasma is at number 1, and from what I've heard it's been there for years. But for the exceedingly rare creatures, you can compare it to the Patatta.
The Patatta is at number 918 out of 1069, which means that any species between 919 and 1069 has less than 100 living members. That's 150 different species!

Some of these make sense, like the recently released CSP creatures or the new monthlies. Or the new Thief Shop creature. Most of them are just cash shop park creatures that weren't a big hit. Some of them seem like they would be really popular, but there just aren't many of them, like the Laika. Some of them are Creature Lab species, and people might not want to drop 7.5mil 🪙 on one creature. (Not me, I'm saving up for the Kendo)

Some of them are really popular but also really old and haven't been rereleased yet (like the Clous, the Laniwon, or the Pupkin).

So... if you have any of the creatures that are rarer than a Patatta, good for you 😊 You're part of an elite club for that species!

Female
1,734 posts

lexicon • 1 December 2023 at 12:43 PM

@spookyfrog

That's an interesting point! ...but shouldn't the Piefox and other Find the Gobbler prizes also be placed around 918 because only 100 were also released for them?? o:

234 posts

spookyfrog • 1 December 2023 at 12:48 PM

@lexicon I can only assume that there were some Piefox and Leafcock creatures that died between then and now. As for the Croppler, I was confused as to why they were ranked somewhere in the 800s, but I went back through the blog posts and apparently they were released in the Cash Shop Park for 200 cc two days after the Gobbler event ended.

I still think that the amount of creatures that are still living should be included in the archives.

ALSO while im fixated on this, I'm counting how many creatures are being unvaulted for the Elkikorn and the Guinstar. For the Elkikorn, there were 16 released in this wave. For the Guinstar, there were 22 released in this wave. If this is 20% of what will be released, there will be 80 Elkikorn to be reissued and 110 Guinstar to be reissued. This means there already was 80 Elkikorn before today, now at least 112. There already was at least 110 Guinstar before, now at least 154.

Female
1,734 posts

lexicon • 1 December 2023 at 1:04 PM

@spookyfrog

Oh yeah lol not me forgetting that creatures die 😅🙃. The Leaf of Vaka is truly a gift. That's true, it would be really cool to get an actual count to better prepare for re-releases and help with pricing. As you said some creatures are rare simply bc they just weren't popular but some like the Clous are ancient and still desirable

234 posts

spookyfrog • 1 December 2023 at 1:13 PM

@lexicon For real! I'm still not sure whether I'll keep either my Guinstar or my Elkikorn, but I know I'll be able to profit off of it in the future. But at least now I know to sit out for the first wave because the noon wave is much more chill 😊

It is kinda bad though, since some of the creatures I really really want (like the Pupkin, the Vecker, and the Vampyr) are considerably more rare. Hell, the Bulbrigar has only been available for 12 hours and theres already more than the Vecker.

EDIT: Using the Wayback Machine right now. On October 3rd, the Leafcock was ranked 915. The Elkikorn was ranked 973. There are currently 97 alive Leafcock. This means that the Elkikorn, as well as all the creatures that fell between 915 and 973, had to have between 80 and 97 living members (notably, the Clous, Arnmnae, Flar, Corsal fall in this range). Also, this is a bit more unreliable since we don't know for sure the prior population of Elkikorn, but I am assuming it was 80. This implies that anything after 973 back in October has less than 80 living members.

Female
2,938 posts

heatherm19 • 2 December 2023 at 4:10 AM

@spookyfrog Wow, this is all so interesting! I've browsed the rarities and such but I've never really looked at how many of each creature there may be. I'm extremely surprised to realize I have multiple creatures that apparently number fewer than 100 total.

Female
521 posts

sapphire12 • 2 December 2023 at 4:13 AM

@spookyfrog what was the prior population of the guinstar? If you don't mind going through the wayback machine.

I had a look at one of the 20% waves and it looks like 22 were released in total so I wouldn't be surprised if guinstar also were ~100 range originally

1,136 posts

taunter • 2 December 2023 at 4:51 AM

Well dang I didn’t realize how scale of a Leafcock’s rarity.

Welp

234 posts

spookyfrog • 2 December 2023 at 1:54 PM

@sapphire12 I didn't look into the Guinstar population because there's a wider range, since there isnt an upper bound to base it off of. We could compare the earlier Guinstar population to the Leafcock population, but since the rerelease can either double the population or release less than the current population, we can't know how many guinstar for the upper bound.

@taunter Yeah, its honestly kinda scary how 150 species have less than 100 living members. Really makes you realize smth yk?