Creature Suggestion: 🪱 Straworm 🪱 for April Fools/Summer

in Fan Art & Creature Suggestions

Female
844 posts

sulvas • 1 February 2024 at 9:04 PM

I've decided to try doing a creature suggestion. Here I present to you the straworm! It's a worm that looks like a straw. A very simple silly concept I know.

Art: http://tinyurl.com/4ycctjkx

About the Egg:

The Straworm eggs mimic ice-cubes, so if the drink is discovered before they hatch, the eggs most likely won't be removed. Straworm eggs only develop properly if laid inside of a fast-food styled soda cup. There is no best type of soda; even water works, but the Straworm eggs hatch faster the more liquid is inside of the cup. They can even hatch from just a few drops.

About the Creature:
The Straworm  mimics a straw throughout the reproductive part of its life. It will lay dormant on the ground of fast food establishments, or underneath outdoor trash cans. They sneak into abandoned drinks and lay their eggs in them. After they go through this process a few times, they morph into the style of a more traditional worm. Once they morph, they retain their coloration, but lose their desire to hide, resulting in them becoming food for other creatures.

Design Notes:
Really would like to keep the ice cube as the egg as it's part of the lore. Colored stripes can be changed to any color and the patterning can be changed. Feel free to change the position of the cup if it helps it fit better. Also feel free to alter the face. Generally I'd say it's going for a cute or goofy look.
#creatures suggestion

Non-binary
1,417 posts

provo7demons • 1 February 2024 at 9:07 PM

@sulvas LITTLE GUY!! little wormy friend!! I would be HAPPY to find him in my drink

Female
1,319 posts

twinkle • 1 February 2024 at 9:12 PM

@sulvas
Awww that’s adorable! 😸 My sister would be surprised to see an ice cube in her soda bottle that conveniently hatches into a straw XD

Gender Nonconforming
230 posts

dibabeebees • 1 February 2024 at 9:13 PM

perfect, amazing, beautiful, iconic

Female
844 posts

sulvas • 1 February 2024 at 9:17 PM

@provo7demons I think it'd wiggle in fear at the sight of you if it was mid egg-laying.
@twinkle I'm sure the straworm would be surprised too in that situation. Thank you for the kind words.
@dibabeebees Thank you for the compliments, might just be iconic at fast food places/amusement parks though. /lh

Female
2,936 posts

heatherm19 • 1 February 2024 at 9:41 PM

@sulvas Awww I love that it's just chilling in a cup in the teen stage. I also like how the adult has a bit more curve to it's pose.

Female
844 posts

sulvas • 1 February 2024 at 9:54 PM

@heatherm19 Thanks, fun fact: I was going to have it be one of those super bendy straws, but i lacked the artistic ability to do that.

Female
388 posts

cryogenics • 2 February 2024 at 2:59 AM

@sulvas nice concept.

could you take the ice cube egg further by adding the straw into the ice cube. to show there is 'something' lurking in there.

could be a curled up silhouette.

Female
844 posts

sulvas • 2 February 2024 at 4:51 AM

@cryogenics I'm not planning to update it for a long time, but if I do I'll consider the change. Maybe I'll be better at drawing by then (probably not).

1,134 posts

hikanu • 2 February 2024 at 7:09 AM

This is so cute and silly. I want. 😃

How does it fare against paper straws? If it was to lie around and not be noticed as anything but a straw. Paper straws is about the only thing available these days.

Female
1,573 posts

isis • 2 February 2024 at 8:52 AM

It's simple. Effective. Perfect. ✨Straworm ✨ The name really speaks for itself. It's absolutely peak worm creature design. I love it so much!

Female
844 posts

sulvas • 2 February 2024 at 4:41 PM

@hikanu There are still a lot of plastic straws used where I live. I looked at some paper straws and they do still use the iconic stripes in some cases. I'd imagine with that the straworm would just evolve to remove the bendy gray patch, since paper straws don't have that.

@isis Thank you for the nice words; I was going for simplicity here. There are a good amount of other worm creatures that have been waiting for approval that are also well designed. Worm month 2024?

Shoutouts to the Yorm !

1,134 posts

hikanu • 2 February 2024 at 5:18 PM

@sulvas Mh, mh. Makes sense. I've still got plastic straws squirrelled away in one of my drawers, they're striped in either blue, red, yellow, and green, but I can't buy them anymore.
Paper straws here comes in a lot of variety, white, brown, black, striped, dotted, all sorts of other patterns and a myriad of colors. So if I find a Straworm in my area, it has a lot of room for self-expression. XD

Female
2,555 posts

dragrawr • 2 February 2024 at 5:35 PM

worm month worm month worm month

Female
844 posts

sulvas • 2 February 2024 at 7:55 PM

@dragrawr it'd be funny if that did happen the Velwurm also needs a shoutout so it has more of a chance of actually happening.

Female
2,225 posts

ashlinnhi • 4 February 2024 at 8:09 AM

late to the (forum) party but yes. wormy 👍👍👍

1,629 posts

icecloud101 • 4 February 2024 at 10:09 AM

@sulvas this concept is so cool and great for an april fools concept! (altho i would be a tiny bit scared if i realized my straw as not, in fact, a straw XD)