Calling All Anime, Manga and Webcomic Fans! *Contest* Win 500CC!

in User Contests & Giveaways

Female
1,323 posts

promise • 12 July 2014 at 8:18 AM

***I will only reply to questions since there are too many posts D:

~ About the Contest! ~
Due to a recent horseback riding accident, I am going to be home for the next few days and need something to entertain me!

Basically, I am looking for suggestions of anything relating to anime, manga or webcomics! I am also a fan of dramas! If you have something similar to the things I listed feel free to throw it out there! I am looking for things of all types and for all age groups, if you don't feel it should be posted here for children to see please message me about it πŸ˜ƒ

The contest will end on the 29th of August, I may shorten or increase the amount of time depending on how successful this is. I will choose a winner shortly after.

*I have a netflix, crunchyroll and inkblazers account

~ How to Enter ~
It's easy! Just ping me on this topic with a suggestion or a few suggestions, the more merrier Please include the type and name of the anime/manga series or webcomic along with a brief description of what it is about. The description doesn't need to be in your own words (feel free to look up descriptions to copy and paste).
*Optional*
I would love your personal commentary on it, why you like it, things that could be improved, different seasons, others by the same author, etc. You can add any other little tidbits about it like a fanpage or something. It would be nice if you included a place I can watch/read it especially if it is exclusive to a certain website.

EXAMPLE
@promise
Stray Dog by VanRah ~Webcomic
The story of the improbable meeting between Aki, an orphan girl, and Toru, a cursed Lycan with red eyes. Re-discover the myth of the Beast of GΓ©vaudan ! Beware the wolf.... (I copied the description from the website)

I love this webcomic it has a great story line with action, romance and suspense! The characters have unique personalities and the art style is amazing. There are only 11 chapters so far but they release a new chapter every month(<--- don't quote me on that). It is exclusive to Inkblazers.com, here is a link to it http://www.inkblazers.com/manga-and-comics/Stray-Dog/detail-page/789?lang=en
The author has another series called NeverenD that I haven't read yet. Stray Dog is also translated from french so if you're french and want to read it it's perfect (I don't speak french but it's just a cool tidbit).
Pings: (please ping people)
@
@
@
@

~ Prizes ~
I will pick the ones I like the most and give out prizes accordingly. I will give out 3 main prizes, along with 5 or so runner-up prizes from my UFT tab depending on how many people enter.

1st Place ~ Current CC Creature or 2 freezes or LE from my UFT Tab + 250k EC
2nd Place ~ Freeze or LE from my UFT tab + 100k EC
3rd Place ~ LE of your choosing from my UFT Tab + 50k EC
Runner ups will get LEs from my UFT tab of my choosing
*Doesn't include CCs from my UFT tab or frozen LEs

Click here for things I have read or watched before, you can ask if I have seen it before you post. Good luck! 😊

Pings:
@iulianna1
@newlife (You're anime topic inspired me to do this)
@xoxo5959
@mightyeglantine

Deleted • 12 July 2014 at 8:40 AM

@promise You ever seen Puella Magi Madoka Magica?

Female
1,323 posts

promise • 12 July 2014 at 8:42 AM

@poof
Nope!

Pings:
@fakeworld
@birggitt
@bot
@chocovampire

Sorry if you don't like pings!

Female
766 posts

lunar • 12 July 2014 at 8:44 AM

@promise
There is this amazing anime on crunchy roll called A Lull in the Sea. (Nagi no Asukara)

This anime has a world similar to ours, but yet has obvious differences. For one they have people that live in the sea. Not mermaids, but people but with the ability to breathe under water. The main characters a group of middle schoolers going to a school on the mainland. And through the episodes you watch them grow and develop. It starts off a bit low key, but then the main plot begins to settle. The watcher can see love growing between the characters, and the complexity as they sort themselves out and establishing who they really are between these two worlds.

And I watched this when it was first released, and every week I was waiting for a new episode to come out. Luckily its completed and I no longer have to wait in anticipation.
The plot and place are very different from multiple anime that I have watched. It maybe in a school like most, but our characters are different, they come from the sea and hold unique experiences. The art work just takes my breath away. I always watch the introduction, and to top off the animation, the music is the best. I love anything about the sea, and to my delight I found the right anime. Couldn't ask for more.
This show will take you on a ride. Its much deeper than it seems to be, it a must watch, because you'll never forget it.
:Sidenote:
I love wolfs rain, its just, woah, the heart and soul in that amazing work.

Deleted • 12 July 2014 at 8:45 AM

@promise Okay so, lets see...
Its short really, only about twelve episodes long.

Girls can become something called Magical Girls if they make a wish. Being a Magical Girl, your purpose is to defeat Witches. (This is the payment for your wish. A wish can be about anything you want.) Each Girl has a Soul Gem which they use to "absorb" a Witch after defeat. After a while the Gem becomes tainted, thus turning a Magical Girl into a Witch. The cycle continues until one specific girl makes a wish that changes it all

I can give you a link if you want. No idea about the author sorry, I dont watch much anime or the likes.

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 12 July 2014 at 8:46 AM

@poof
Curses I'm too late!! I was going to do that Puella Magi series T__T XD

Deleted • 12 July 2014 at 8:47 AM

@mastergemma Aw, Im sorry. xD

I have no idea whether I even explained it right, though. I like, watched the first few episodes without some kind of english in it, aha.

Female
423 posts

birggitt • 12 July 2014 at 8:51 AM

@promise

I'm gonna go with two classic anime I totally adored at the momento, and still keep going back all the time;

Serial Experiments Lain: Lain Iwakura appears to be an ordinary girl, with almost no experience with computers. Yet the sudden suicide of a schoolmate, and a number of strange occurrences, conspire to pull Lain into the world of the Wired, where she gradually learns that nothing is what it seems to be... not even Lain herself. (Copied)

Evangelion: After the second impact, all that remains of Japan is Tokyo-3, a city that's being attacked by giant creatures that seek to eradicate the human kind, called Angels. After not seeing his father for more than eight years, Shinji Ikari receives a phone call in which he is told to urgently come to the NERV Headquarters, an organization that deals with the destruction of the Angels through the use of giant mechs called Evas. Shinji's objective is to pilot the Eva Unit 01 while teaming up with the Eva Unit 00 pilot, Ayanami Rei.

Yes, I have a very particular taste in anime πŸ˜‹

Female
2,350 posts

takaedakumi • 12 July 2014 at 8:58 AM

@promise Okay, apologies for long descriptions, but any descriptions I would write couldn't be intriguing so I used the cool wiki ones. Also i don't know who to ping. I'm sorry. ;o; Anyway I hope you find them entertaining. I sure did! *nods*

Sword Art Online ~ Anime

Sword Art Online (SAO) is a Virtual Reality Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (VRMMORPG), released in 2022. With the Nerve Gear, a virtual reality helmet that stimulates the user's five senses via their brain, players can experience and control their in-game characters with their minds.

On November 6, 2022, the players log into SAO for the first time, and later discover that they are unable to log out. They are then informed by Akihiko Kayaba, SAO's creator, that if they wish to be free, they must reach the 100th floor of the game's tower and defeat the final boss. However, if their avatars die in-game, their bodies will also die in the real world. One of these players is Kazuto "Kirito" Kirigaya, who was chosen as one of the 1,000 beta testers in the closed beta. Since he had previous experience and knowledge of the game, he felt that he could beat the game easily. As a result, he set out to beat the game on his own. As the game progresses for two years, Kirito eventually befriends a female player named Asuna with whom he ultimately falls in love. After the duo discover the identity of Kayaba's avatar in SAO, they confront and destroy him, freeing themselves and the other players from the game.

Upon being sent back to the real world, Kirito learns that Asuna and 300 other SAO players have still not awakened yet. Following a clue about Asuna's whereabouts in another VRMMORPG called Alfheim Online (ALO), Kirito also enters the ALO's mainframe. Helped by his sister Suguha Kirigaya, known as Leafa in the game, he learns that the trapped players in ALO are part of a plan conceived by Nobuyuki Sug? to perform illegal experiments on their minds to put them under his control, including Asuna, whom he intends to marry in the real world in order to take over her family's company. After Kirito foils Nobuyuki's plans, he finally reunites with Asuna back in the real world.

Soon after, Kirito plays another game called Gun Gale Online (GGO) to investigate the mysterious connection between it and deaths occurring in the real world. Assisted by a female player he meets in the game called Sinon, he identifies and exposes the culprits, who include some former members of a murderous guild he had previously encountered in SAO.

Kirito is later recruited to assist in testing a state-of-the-art FullDive machine, Soul Translator (STL), which has an interface that is far more realistic and complex than the previous machine he had played. He tests the STL by entering a Virtual Reality world created with The Seed package, named UnderWorld (UW). In the UW mainframe, the flow of time proceeds a thousand times faster than in the real world, and Kirito's memories of what happens inside are restricted. However, he ends up falling into a trap set by one of the murderers from GGO and wakes up inside UnderWorld without any recollection of how he ended up there, unable to log out, with his real self left in a comatose state.

Blood+ ~ Anime

Under the care of her adoptive family, Saya Otonashi has been living the life of an anemic amnesiac, but otherwise ordinary schoolgirl. However, her happy life is shattered when she is attacked by a Chiropteran(vampiiiire), learning that she is the only one who can defeat them. Armed with her special katana, Saya embarks on a journey with her family, allies, and her chevalier Haji, to rid the world of the Chiropteran threat and recover her identity. The course of the journey reveals the background history of the Chiropterans and Saya's past, which extends into the mid-19th century.

The Phoenix Requiem ~ Webcomic (I would link you there but you may need to look it up yourself and read the 'about' section for the description and information on it. You'll understand when you read the bottom part of the description why I didn't want to put the link here.)

Female
289 posts

clbr6117 • 12 July 2014 at 9:00 AM

@promise

sorry to hear that! D: I hope you get better! 😸

I would suggest:
- Wolf's Rain
- Naruto

I like both because they have a lot of action. 😊 Wolf's Rain is more serious than in naruto were it has action and funny parts. 😸

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 12 July 2014 at 9:00 AM

@poof
That's a good explanation of the witch part of the story. The Studio that made it is Shaft, I'm not too sure about the manga though.

Warning about episode 3 though, you'll cry XD

@promise
Can I participate with Studio Ghibli? Or should I choose something else?

1,242 posts

bot • 12 July 2014 at 9:10 AM

@promise

H o m e s t u c k

Well it's about this thirteen-year-old who has these weird things called capchalogue cards and they're basically inventory slots. And he has this app called Pesterchum where his chums pester him. But he soon finds out that the trolls on Pesterchum are actual trolls from space, each representing one of the zodiac signs. It's this ridiculous story that's really hard to follow but it's so messed up and weird that it's actually really interesting and hilarious.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6

That's page one. It's hilarious and ironic and it just might be the best thing out there.

I also suggest Hollow Fields, a great manga by Madeline Rosca. It has quite a bit of action, an overall dark tone, and a quirky sense of humor. I'm not going to spoil it for you but it really is a great read.

Female
2,350 posts

takaedakumi • 12 July 2014 at 9:11 AM

@promise Oh right, I almost forgot! I should tell you why I like the ones I suggested.

I liked Sword Art Online because it has a lot of things I always dreamed were real. Virtual reality gaming? The day that happens I'll cry, for real! It keeps the imagination running and they have excellent character development. I'd also like to note that they make the main character a likable one, and I'd consider this my top favorite of all the anime I've seen.

Blood+ was my favorite before I saw Sword Art Online, I loved the characters and I found it entertaining with a balanced amount of action and story. The storyline was very mysterious and I found myself wanting to continue on after every episode was finished. Of course, that's how I feel with a lot of anime, haha.

The Phoenix Requiem kept me occupied often when I needed to waste time. The story was unique and the characters were likable too. It's not very long but it's a good read. There were a lot of unexpected but intriguing developments as the story progressed and it definitely kept you guessing.

Deleted • 12 July 2014 at 9:12 AM

@mastergemma Ive seen them all, okay πŸ˜‹ But only once, I might watch them again. Its so epic owo

Although so sad ;_;

Deleted • 12 July 2014 at 9:14 AM

@promise

Questionable Content, by Jeph Jacques - A webcomic

"The plot centers on Marten Reed, an indie rock aficionado; his roommate, Faye Whitaker; and Faye's boss, Dora Bianchi. Supporting characters include employees of the local coffee shop, neighbours and anthropomorphized personal computers. QC's storytelling style combines romantic melodrama, sitcom, humor about indie rock music, and sexual humor while considering questions of relationships, futurism, artificial intelligence, sexuality and dealing with emotional trauma."

-Wikipedia

I started reading this webcomic years and years ago, and it's honestly my favourite one out there. Jeph has an incredible way with characters that can make you laugh or cry, and it just keeps jetting better and better every time I read it. With five updates a week you're never going to be short on content, and if someone's starting from the very beginning, they have, as of now, 2,745 pages to get through, which can all be read on the site free of charge. Doing so will also show how vastly his illustration has improved in that time, and I have nothing but praise for talent like that, as I used to study it myself. If that wasn't enough, he has plans to make a second webcomic in the near future because of a very successful Patreon!

http://www.questionablecontent.net/

Female
253 posts

meleva • 12 July 2014 at 9:17 AM

@promise Do you like pokemon?😊 Because if you do you should totally check out Nuzlocks on deviantart if you haven't already^^

Female
1,323 posts

promise • 12 July 2014 at 9:24 AM

@lunar

Sounds very good! I love good artwork and animation, I can't stand watching and badly animated series. I am very interested in the uniqueness of the plot, I always like something new 😊

I had a crazy Wolf's Rain addiction, I even bought the manga but it wasn't as good as the anime since it was made after and it was different from the original story line.

@poof

Short is good since I seem to be getting a lot of entries! Sounds interesting! If you could give me a link that would be great πŸ˜ƒ

@birggitt
Yes! My ping worked xD

I am very excited to watch the first one, I love the mix of real life and virtual reality 😊 The second one seems cool as well with the post apocalyptic story line. Thanks for the entry!

@takatheeducatedkid

No problem! I prefer longer descriptions!

I saw Sword Art Online on netflix and I wasn't sure if I should watch it but after that description I have to! I love virtual reality and romance. It kinda reminds me of that Spy Kid movie 😸

I have watched Blood + but I never had enough time to finish it. Well thanks to the horse now I do πŸ˜‹

YES A WEBCOMIC! I just fell in love ❀️ with them this summer! Sounds great and it's kinda long too!

@clbr6117
Thanks!
I have seen both 😊 I said a bit about Wolf's Rain when I replied to @lunar.

Sorry to those people I didn't get to yet ^^' There are too many posts!

Deleted • 12 July 2014 at 9:27 AM

@promise

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/puella-magi-madoka-magica-episode-1-english-dubbed

As you can see in the link its an english dub, thankfully. 😊
You can click below the episode for the next one.

Female
289 posts

clbr6117 • 12 July 2014 at 9:27 AM

@promise
Opps! XD

Well, I really don't watch much anime other than naruto, so I really don't know of many others.

I heard Fruits Basket is good? but I haven't seen it. πŸ˜‹

I mainly watch shows on cartoon network such as Total Drama Island. XD

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 12 July 2014 at 9:31 AM

@promise
You said the magic word...anime ❀️

Naturally we would all come

Female
1,323 posts

promise • 12 July 2014 at 9:46 AM

@mastergemma
Aww no I cry too easily at anime D: I have seen almost every single Studio Ghibli film (I have a minor, well more like major addiction). You can try but chances are I have seen it. Have any other suggestions?

@bot
YES MY PINGS WORK!!!
Anyways, I have great things about that. I even went to con and saw like a million people cosplaying characters from that, I was like what the... xD

I might not be able to read the manga unless I can find it online since I really can't walk and I don't want to hobble into a book store ^^'

@takatheeducatedkid

Thanks for the commentary! And IKR gaming like that would be cray cray!

@capuchin
I just ❀️ webcomics that you can see the evolution of the author's art style over time πŸ˜ƒ Wow 2,745 pages and it's still going! That will keep me entertain for hours! Sounds great, thanks for the suggestion! πŸ˜ƒ

@meleva
I'll do that right now, thanks πŸ˜ƒ

Well I caught up to my last post, I still have a lot more to go! Pings would be great and appreciated 😸

Deleted • 12 July 2014 at 9:50 AM

@promise
No problem- I hope you enjoy it and get better soon!

Female
1,323 posts

promise • 12 July 2014 at 9:57 AM

@poof
Thanks for the link it makes my life easier!

@clbr6117
All good, you tried! Ya you should watch Fruit's Basket it was wonderful, I heard the manga is better if you are interested in a more mature storyline. The anime is like G or PG and the manga is more like PG-13 or higher

Edit: I hit the post button without finishing .-. My bad

Female
689 posts

cclynn2855 • 12 July 2014 at 10:00 AM

@promise
OK....have you read/watched Fruits basket? The book series is 24 books (I think) and there are 29 episodes. Its about the curse of the Zodiac where the people who are cursed cannot be hugged by the opposite gender or they transform into what ever animal they are cursed with. (But the can hug members of the Zodiac) a orphaned girl named Torhu Honda (don't know if I spelled that right) wants to break the cusre after meeting two of the boys involved in the curse at her high school. (If i tell anymore it could give way the ending)

I personally liked it a lot....most people say don't bother to watch it cause it doesn't follow the books ☹️ but other wise it was good!! Some parts were a little sad or hard to follow but it was well written 😊

Deleted • 12 July 2014 at 10:03 AM

@promise
Have you ever watched Attack on Titan?

Female
1,323 posts

promise • 12 July 2014 at 10:06 AM

@mastergemma
Lol it's so true XD

@kisamari
That sounds kind of depressing but definitely interesting! I will check it out!

@capuchin
Thanks!

@cclynn2855
I just posted about Fruits Basket *pokes last post*. I really liked both versions! Have any other suggestions?

@hybridrainbow
I have heard of it but I have yet to watch it!

Female
423 posts

birggitt • 12 July 2014 at 10:13 AM

@promise

Well, you did say anime, of course your ping wwould work πŸ˜‹

Oh, so, if you like the mix of real life and virtual reality, you'd like 'Ghost in the Shell' and Ergo Proxy

Ghost in the Shell: In the year 2029, the barriers of our world have been broken down by the net and by cybernetics, but this brings new vulnerability to humans in the form of brain-hacking. When a highly-wanted hacker known as 'The Puppetmaster' begins involving them in politics, Section 9, a group of cybernetically enhanced cops, are called in to investigate and stop the Puppetmaster. The pursuit will call into question what makes a human and what is the Puppetmaster in a world where the distinction between human and machine is increasingly blurry.

Ergo Proxy: The world is bigger than you think...

After the explosion of the methane hydrate layer, the remaining members of mankind are forced to live in isolated domed cities scattered across the arid and inhospitable planet. They live in a controlled society and are assisted in daily life by autonomous robots called AutoReivs. In one of these cities, Romdo, Inspector Re-l Mayer, granddaughter of the regent, leads an investigation concerning AutoReivs that have gone mad after being infected by the Cogito virus. In the process, she comes in contact with a monster called Proxy. Elsewhere in the city, immigrant Vincent Law is on the run after being framed for involvement in several Cogito cases. Together, along with the adorable child-AutoReiv Pino, they set out on a journey to the dome city Moscow in order to unravel the mystery of the Proxies.

Maybe I'd think of some others, as, right now I am, as always, multitasking, so only a part of my brain is working on this XD

3,057 posts

jirachiwishmaker • 12 July 2014 at 10:13 AM

@promise

Oh wow! So glad that you also love the same things that I love too major anime fan and korean dramas are the best. Let's see so I went to the cruncyroll site and pick out some stuff you might like. Ok so here's my picks Boys over flowers, Princess Hours, and Coffee Prince. All of them have some comedy to it so it will make you laugh either one you choose. And my anime picks are Ranma 1/2, One Piece, Hell Girl and Rurouni Kenshin. Altho you can read the descriptions on there, Ranma filled with all these characters from China, they're human, but they fell into cursed springs and each person changes into another form from whatever drowned in there.

So whenever they get touched by water their bodies change back into that form. It's something they can't control so it's hilarious. One Piece is like the Pirates of the Carribbean where he goes sailing and on many adventures, you never get bored cause they're always traveling places and the anime is still ongoing. Hell Girl is about this one girl who grants you a wish, but the price is your soul so many people fall for that one. Rurouni Kenshin is a Samurai anime not sure if you like those but yeah.

Deleted • 12 July 2014 at 10:21 AM

@promise
I found it on Netflix two weeks ago and watched the entire season in like three days. I thought I had outgrown anime, but apparently not! Unfortunately, there's only one season available in anime so far, but I think you should give it a try.

There's these giant humanoid monsters that don't need to eat, but have this insatiable hunger for human flesh. Since their appearance, the entire population has dwindled down to the brink of extinction and had to retreat behind dam-like walls. After 100 years of peace, the monsters break though the walls of the outer most city and massacre most of the residents there. A kid's mother is eaten alive before his eyes and he vows to rid the world of every last one of those creatures.

There's a huge twist that makes his vow almost ironic, but I won't spoil that for you. Given the situation, I found the characters to be very realistic. I love the plot, the bonds that the characters formed and how devastated I felt after watching a gory battle. My only warning is not to get too attached to any of the characters, you'll never know when someone will die.

682 posts

werewolf • 12 July 2014 at 10:26 AM

@promise
have u seen Wolf Children? its an anime film by Mamoru Hosoda you can get it in English and Japanese/Chinese. Its about a young college student who falls in love with a mysterious man who visits her lectures everyday but never has a notebook or pen..... I won't say much more because of spoilers!

Also another good anime movie called The Cat Returns which you can also get in english and is about a girl that one day saves a cat from traffic to find that he was the prince of the cat world the girl adventures through the world of cats and many things through her real life.

if you prefer webcomics try xkcd they has some funny ones!