"Bumping"

in General

Female
240 posts

plantparadise • 19 August 2011 at 1:55 AM

I find it very annoying when I find certain topics always being "Bumped". I believe that users should only post when it has something to do with the topic. Not just to bump.

"Bumping" makes other good suggestions become forgotten because they bumped their own topic or a friends and then the good suggestion is never seen by anyone else.

Besides, there is no need to "Bump a topic/forum". That is why pinging exists, instead of "bumping" a topic they can always ping other people (while contributing to the discussion) so they see a suggestion, game, topic or whatever.

Example: "Oh what a nice idea. I love how _____. Don't you agree @Person @Blank @Another_Person?"

I am not completely against "bumping", but I think we should try to set limits to our bumps. They are helpful at times.

Solutions that @Ian can make:
* Make it a rule (Suggested by orderedchaos)
* Characters limit (Suggested by orderdchaos)
*Moderators Yes Ian, I think it's time. 😋 (Suggested by Whitefall; and I second that 😋)

Solutions that we can only make:
* Only bump after a certain amount of days. (Suggested by Whitefall)

Deleted • 19 August 2011 at 1:59 AM

@plantparadise
I agree. There are topics full of bumps and I *really* don't appreciate that. It's all good to bump and all, but it's even better if you bring a topic back up from the dead and contribute to it. Usually people ping others to attract their attention! XP

Female
240 posts

plantparadise • 19 August 2011 at 2:01 AM

@pendmxc 😊

Yes! Exactly what I'm saying 😃 Just A LOT more simpler. 😋

Btw, this just came to my head; It would be ironic if someone "bumped" this topic.XD

3,562 posts

cafe • 19 August 2011 at 2:02 AM

I only bump trades x3

And cause you said it;

BUMP

Female
240 posts

plantparadise • 19 August 2011 at 2:04 AM

@Cafe
XD And here I am making a whole speech on why not to bump, and someone comes along to bump! 😋

Female
1,079 posts

mangyrawr • 19 August 2011 at 2:04 AM

@plantparadise I was thinking on doing that XD XD XD and I agree Bump lol 😃 it sometimes gets off topic

Deleted • 19 August 2011 at 2:04 AM

@plantparadise
Lol... simplify, dudes! Except when you talk about maths... Well, maybe bumps could be useful quotes or something? Not hair-related or something?

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step," Something like that?

Female
1,079 posts

mangyrawr • 19 August 2011 at 2:06 AM

I posted that post when I didnt see cafe say that. it could be useful for what @pendmxc said I agree with her

Female
240 posts

plantparadise • 19 August 2011 at 2:06 AM

@pendmxc

Or we could just contribute to the topic like the good citizens of Ark that we are. LOL. c:

Male
2,935 posts

miomar • 19 August 2011 at 2:10 AM

Agree =^)

Female
4,589 posts

crescentfeather • 19 August 2011 at 2:26 AM

How about bumping trades? 😱

Female
2,115 posts

dionaea • 19 August 2011 at 2:57 AM

I'm not sure I like bumps that much either. Maybe on the trade forum, because you have to advertise your trade after all, but on the suggestions forum it can be really annoying indeed ☚ī¸

Female
5,409 posts

Orderedchaos • 19 August 2011 at 11:10 AM

Personally I see "bumps" as spam and wish there was a rule against them. If you want your topic to be active ping people who would be interested in talking about it. Topics should be filled with post ABOUT THE GORRAM TOPIC NOT 90% "BUMPS". I also think there should be a minimum character requirement for posts (10 characters is used on other forums) to help get around posts of just "bump" or just a smiley faces. *hate those*

Male
1,247 posts

Meteoroid • 19 August 2011 at 11:33 AM

While bumping is fine when used sparingly, I have noticed threads where people bump a topic five minutes after the last post. Instead of having a filler post with no content, bump the thread by discussing the topic some more at least.

@orderedchaos You bring up a good point and suggestion. There should be an official list of Forum Rules posted here, so people can follow some guidelines and know what is acceptable.

Female
4,377 posts

carnatate • 19 August 2011 at 11:35 AM

I only bump trades 😋

Female
6,833 posts

whitefall • 19 August 2011 at 12:38 PM

*sigh* I find bumps annoying, especially when I've made a topic and get my hopes up when there's a few posts, when there are only a few bumps.

Though I do bump often. I hate them, but with every doing bumps, it rubbed off on me. 😸

Darn you bumps...

1,655 posts

chatial • 19 August 2011 at 12:41 PM

I dont mind bumps at all...
I didnt know people were actually annoyed by them.

Demigirl
881 posts

elluwah • 19 August 2011 at 12:57 PM

As with most people here, I tend to find bumps rather annoying if overused on a certain topic. Once or twice, to fetch it back to view, I can accept. But when the topic completely consists of people posting "bump" and no actual contribution? It bugs me.

I agree with having a minimum character input, absolutely. At least then it'll lead to more useful/helpful comments. 😊

Female
2,307 posts

lizardfeather • 19 August 2011 at 1:03 PM

@elluwah Yes but hopefully not too minimum xD

Female
5,409 posts

Orderedchaos • 19 August 2011 at 1:07 PM

@lizardfeather I suggested a min character limit of 10. I know the Steam forums use this and it seems to work pretty well. Granted it would cut out a lot of the one word replies, but that just means you need to add something to the topic other than just mindlessly agreeing/disagreeing to it.

Female
2,307 posts

lizardfeather • 19 August 2011 at 1:08 PM

@orderedchaos Yes that would be a good limit. Unless you did:

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMPPPPP xD lol

But anyways yes that would be nice 😸

Male
5,469 posts

crooton1 • 19 August 2011 at 1:10 PM

I really don't see a problem with bumping. o~o

Female
5,409 posts

Orderedchaos • 19 August 2011 at 1:11 PM

@lizardfeather At that point it probably crosses a line and becomes spam anyway.

Female
2,307 posts

lizardfeather • 19 August 2011 at 1:11 PM

@orderedchaos lol 😸

Female
240 posts

plantparadise • 19 August 2011 at 2:04 PM

@Crooton1 and @Chatial

No I don't see a problem with one or two on the same topic either; but when most of the thread consists of "Bumps". Now that's spam.

Or when someone "bumps" a topic right after someone contributes to it and then does it again right after the next person posts, and then again and again.

Lets just say any post under 10 letters gets kinda annoying because 10 letters can't really explain ANYTHING. Well, at least I can't express myself with ten letters.

Trades... Bumps on trades. Well I don't see why we can't just delete some topics on trades once we found what we were seeking. Anyone like? Being able to delete topics on trades? Or having the power to close them?

@orderedchaos: *UPDATED* 😊

Deleted • 19 August 2011 at 2:05 PM

BUMP 😈 xD

Female
240 posts

plantparadise • 19 August 2011 at 2:10 PM

@bluegirl80
-_- really? ;_; My whole speech was used in vain.

Deleted • 19 August 2011 at 2:13 PM

@plantparadise *UNBUMPS*

Female
6,833 posts

whitefall • 19 August 2011 at 2:19 PM

@lollaugh

Couldn't you have posted that on her profile? 😋

Deleted • 19 August 2011 at 2:19 PM

@plantparaise Sorry! *Ignoresping in post above*