New Player (3 Months) Feedback

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Male
336 posts

ufo • 7 May 2017 at 9:13 PM

So I've been on this site almost 3 months now so I thought it would be helpful to have my feedback from a new user. I absolutely love eggcave and collecting the creatures and meeting people has been so fun, but that being said there are a couple things I've noticed...

A lot of people on this site play really strange and sick games like pretending to be hacked, faking deaths, etc which is extremely heavy and intense on an adoptables site. There are really wonderful people on here too but it seems like they are dropping like flies due to this and other issues.

It's extremely hard for a new person to get achieve their wishes which I get saying that is like a beating a dead horse, but I've legit spent so much money on this site and have really bad experiences hunting down creatures. I feel like this really deters new players from sticking around and the begging/desperate please of the new people have caused a lot of older players to not want to stick around. Everyone has NO CREATURE IS UFT on their profile pretty much which is not very welcoming and a lot of people have burned on this site so many times that they aren't really open to new people.

There absolutely has to be something done to make these more accessible to people especially new players. It worries me that so many people are quitting or don't ever even get started because it's just so hard....and extremely expensive. I feel like the cost would even out if you had more players on the site but did something to lower the values of the creatures a bit.

It's extremely frustating also that there is a no bumping boards rule. It's hard to get trades enough without having to deal with this strange forum rule.

Sorry if I'm out of line with any of this, I just really wanted to provide what I feel is helpful feedback to make it better for newer players.

Female
311 posts

quetzalcoatl • 7 May 2017 at 9:54 PM

@jardoz 100% *a round of applause for you kind sir*

Its all true. Its so sad nice people are being forced out over this. Whats the point of a wishlist? If you have a Tine, Onny or Encalop on your wishlist WATCHOUT GOODLUCK! Not even offering to shell out $300 worth of CC is good enough to get one. My soul weeps for these people... the nice players who are new or dont have much and can't achieve their wishes. Then quit the site due to obscenities and rude players saying "thats not enough" or "can you add, this creature is worth more".

I see people posting their wishlist for their creatures.... I offer said wishlist creatures... then get responses like "Sorry I'm not interested in those" .... Excuse me? But they are on your wishlist right??.... "Those creatures just arent worth this creature... this one is more valuable". I want to play this game in happiness and enjoy myself. All I am is stressed out lately because of trade dealings. :/ It's so intense.... and its not by choice either. Its literally the WAY SHE GOES around here with people and trades.

This is too much and has reached an entire different level of ridiculous. No wonder people are leaving. Something must be done. I have spent wayyy too much money on this site thus far, too. And the truth is... it's kinda old. I feel like egg cave is a cut-throat, dog eat dog place. Better offer up your first born child and empty your wallet if you want to get anywhere on eggcave! Not being a smarty pants here.... just being 100% realistic. I thought eggcave was a place to be positive and fun? Well, it's getting to be anything but that.... especially at this rate. The site will potentially end up loosing money as players begin leaving 1 by 1, if this value rate on creatures is left uncontrolled. A creature re-release NEEDS to happen in my opinion. Thats just the realistic standpoint here.

Female
558 posts

telekinec • 7 May 2017 at 9:58 PM

@jardoz
I'm an old player who has returned after a long hiatus. Egg cave is not what it used to be. There's less people than before.

I have heard of people playing those sick games, although I haven't met one of those people. I don't why people play this, but at the same time, Egg Cave is a small team. Ian should employ more moderators at dealing with those kinds of things. It's a very serious thing when people play on those sensitive topics without any concerns. At the same time, Egg Cave has been here for a long time and with so many old player quitting and so many coming back and new players, it,s hard to find moderators who've always been here and who know how the site goes. Although the site is old and everything, it probably doesn't have the money or anything to look like, let's say Neopets.

Your second and third paragraph deals with a topic that everyone has been going on about. There are two sides on this.

Egg Cave has been around for long and needs to review its rules and the direction it's taking. I agree with a lot of your opinions, but at the same time... people have to understand Egg Cave has not the same thing as Neopets or other longstanding adoptables games.

Male
336 posts

ufo • 7 May 2017 at 10:03 PM

Thank you for reliving the pain @daisy1664 and posting such a heartfelt response. Much appreciated 😊

@jean561114573609 agreed I'm actually a decade-long Neo player and moved from there to here because I thoroughly enjoy the smaller grass-roots environment and I feel good about supporting an ambitious developer over a huge megacorporation. I absolutely love eggcave and hopefully my perspective as a new player can offer a little insight. Thanks for sharing I appreciate it! 😊

Female
558 posts

telekinec • 7 May 2017 at 10:18 PM

@jardoz @daisy1664
You can check out the topic I just created for rereleases: https://eggcave.com/forums/topic/65283

Somehow adoptables games have had it hard. Neopets looks abandoned. I'm also an over-decade long player and Neopets seems abandoned, kinda. Some adoptables site don't seem as professional (sorry for people who are playing other adoptables sites) which is why it's kinda hard finding good ones. I do hope Egg Cave manages to keep it's user base intact though, it's a great game 😊

Male
660 posts

veritaspunk • 7 May 2017 at 11:55 PM

@jardoz

( As a person that has had to reevaluate expectations and personal agenda offline/online multiple times )

- I am for a limited re-release, designating the re-released creatures as second release not first edition. Many members feel this will still devalue their creatures and tarnish their overall prestige. I sympathize with both sides. The genie is out, .. you aren't going to please everyone. What I have done is modify my expectations with this site, so I can still enjoy it within its incorporation to my daily routine.

- I departed Neopets because it was "just time to do so" .. I was there since the early 00's. All the server hiccups was just the final push .. a lot of my Neopets friends also "matured" away from that site.. browser games aren't as flashy as video games etc

What is fundamental to me is the routine of feeding my pets, click exchange, & overviewing the current activity in other aras like trades & the forums ... a creature set of all eggs I like has taken a backseat as that's not really my draw to these sites anyway ... it's in the aforementioned routine like I would do with the game section and dailies at Neopets.

- Personally I have not experienced the strange and perverse situations you describe .. just a bit of spam and begging here and there but it;'s to be expected with the open market and limit on pings. I really do like the "grass roots" feel in contrast to Neopets

- I love the more concentrated transactions in auctions and trades, it's another manifestation of say making a trade on Madden or Fifa ... and almost always you do have to take into account we humans anthropomorphize these pixels, they deserve it too because of the precious time spent in obtaining and fashioning them within our idiosyncrasies.

My expectations were never in an all encompassing collection, just an alternative to fill in the void left by Neopets & sustain a routine while traversing my offline reality.

... now version 3 has been a personal landmine just because it does interfere so centrally in an aesthetic context to my functions with this site - my daily routine and its backdrop. That's my personal issue though. My interest still outweighs the nagging customization issues.

As with everything, Egg Cave and members will have to adapt, or it will stagnate at the very least. .. but the genie is out of the bottle .. I'm still enjoying egg cave as a part of my life ... nothing is absolute though.

Female
1,783 posts

skyfall4 • 8 May 2017 at 12:16 AM

@jardoz
I've been here for around 5-6 months, and yes- to me, any cc creature is impossible without the help of some amazing friends ❤️ And for us, creatures like the Tine, Nym, Biwo, Onny, etc are just way out of our reach. Literally impossible. Though honestly, Egg Cave is a better adoptables site than the rest I've seen so far.

Female
9,263 posts

immortalraven • 8 May 2017 at 12:29 AM

@jardoz @daisy1664
Oh how I agree...
I have spent SO much money. And I said I wouldn't quit because of that but now I am thinking it. Or at least coming on here a lot less and just get on to get new critters / do events. I really wanna complete my wishlist so I can get on less this just is not as fun as it used to be. And y'all probably don't even have a clue as to how it was when I started. It wasn't the best but way better than now.
It seems this site gets ruder and ruder each year. With a good amount of people ripping people off that just returned, new, or just don't know values. I feel terrible for those people that get ripped off.
Then a lot more people saying you won't get those critters ever to new players. I get saying no thanks, that critter is worth less since I have had to go by everyone's values and the flow to get ones I wanted. When I heard of the old days when people just traded for things they liked and value didn't matter I really wish that was how it is since it is an adoptable game. I mean seriously this is such a competitive place for being one. ALL IT EVER IS ABOUT IS VALUES NOW -.- I am kind of tired of it and while I wanna help newer players I really don't wanna get less than I paid for something ;-;
That's why I at least give some CC and new CC critters out every so often but even that doesn't help a ton nowadays. Things values seem to have WAY inflated from even last year now. I saw a Corphex go like 18,ooo or 19,oooCC this year when early last year I saw like 2 or three at around like 7oooCC. And there are other examples of that too. [At least according to the people trading em away.]

And then all the really weird stuff I see on here like the things you mentioned. I never know when it is legit or so totally made up. I mean some I have been pretty sure were fake. And the hacking I think can be proved cause totally different IPs used or something? I don't know how that stuff works. But the dying and having a friend come on and tell people is hard to know. Some look pretty shady when they talk exactly the same and act the same. But when someone just gets on and says and then never comes on again is a little more realistic. And then people having like fake accounts to get more of the new critters. I can't tell what is what and some look sooo shady. And then the brother or sister ones, some I believe but some just look like they're there to get more stuff for the other.

It is SERIOUSLY ridiculous on some of the prices on here. And the fact that even if you are willing to do a TON for basically a pixel that still no one wants to trade or they want 1o times more to even think about it even when it might not even be one of the super crazy hard to get like Onny and such. I feel terrible for those that really want those ones. And coming from someone that has spent a LOT on this game I don't mind re-releases. Shouldn't be super easy to get them but still I feel something needs to be done. I don't even think it would make them worth so much less than everyone who opposes thinks if done reasonably.I feel like most that are even opposed to the idea probably haven't even traded or spent as much as I have and probably you two since I know y'all have gotten a good bit to have some you have. And a lot I saw have been here like when things were first released and were there to get them then. And if I checked the forum that was one ian made on what people thought on re-releases I feel like some probably haven't gotten on in quite awhile cause it feels older players aren't on as much or quit. Some are still here of course and some probably stay more on the sidelines now because of how some act on here. I feel like doing that now. Soo MUCH. I feel like crying because of some people on here. But I have problems and need meds for that so a normal person probably wouldn't.

That and some of the new things on here. Some I dislike so much and will never get used to. Heck some I can probably say I hate.

@jean561114573609
The thing about dealing with people who play games like that is kinda hard to know what is real or not. The hacking probably is easy to spot but someone dying or whatever and then a friend getting on is pretty hard to prove. Though I do think some people on here have played games like that when it was still them since they speak and act exactly the same and it is really messed up. And not sure it's even against rules or what not. Though I haven't looked over there in awhile and only remember the big things.

I tried neopets once. I didn't really like it much and came across 2 rude people and then some people told me on here that the site had quite a few so just gave up on it. Plus I played this first and I didn't feel like trying to figure the site out cause I like this one better. Well now I am gonna try a new one a friend told me about that has much nicer people and people actually help new players and give them things. What I got here when I started were two people saying I would never get my wish list. I quit for like 2 months and came back in October. The halloween pets made it possible for me to get some from a very very nice player. Though critters are too easy to get on here, too hard or are seasonal. New players can't get the too hard one, the too easy ones aren't worth much and neither are the seasonals. I feel bad >.>

Male
1,736 posts

jello • 8 May 2017 at 12:49 AM

@skyfall4 @jardoz @immortalraven I started just last October. And honestly, I was hooked. But, obtaining my wishlist is becoming harder as the value, quantity, and currency is going sky high. People are wanting 1000 cc for a cc monthly that was back in September. (if you have a tentropy uft pls contact) And honestly, I haven't seen that much drama, except that incident back in late December. And, sometimes, it feels like I am under the bus, as players who buy cc or have been around for a while just prance around with their Nyms and their Blobbarts and their Onnies and their ladeedadoos, like they're the king of EggCave. And, there are very few people who i feel llike i can relate to (chicachicken, skyfall, ifi...).

I feel there needs to be a lighter, playful mood to the game. I don't find it dog eat dog that often (but i dont go to auctions often, might have something to do with it) but sometimes, it can be really saddening. One time, about 2 weeks ago, I saw someone who had a Deggo UFT. Naturally, I asked the price. They said 1000 cc. And so i started saving. And, 4 days later, i had sold some stuff and i was ready to offer. But, it had already been sold. And i literally cried.

Female
558 posts

telekinec • 8 May 2017 at 9:02 AM

@immortalraven
I was here when Egg Cave started and I do remember when things were much more fun. Like I previously said (maybe not on this topic) Ian should review his rules and the direction he wants his game to take. And you're entitled to dislike Neopets, but it all depends on perceptions. Neopets, just like Egg Cave used to be awesome and fun with nice people. Since it changed companies, Neopets has become abandoned with many people up for greed. Anyways, I'm not starting a debate on it since I used it as an example to get my point across.

@jellifysh
I haven't come up on drama either although I did hear about it. I do understand about the prancing and stuff, but some people don't do it either. I'll be honest, except that one person who tried to sell my a Lucky for 1000CC, I haven't stumbled across a lot of people being dishonest (maybe it's because i'm not often on Auctions xD). And I get you, it's hard to relate to someone (I myself don't have a lot of people since I came back). ANd yea there should be a lighter mood. I posted a forum topic about creature rerelease, maybe it would bring back people and settle both sides about rereleases: https://eggcave.com/forums/topic/65283

Female
9,263 posts

immortalraven • 8 May 2017 at 9:26 AM

@jean561114573609
I wasn't bashing neopets or anything. Ya just said somehow they have it hard. I thought that may be a reason neo has had it hard. I don't know what the debate even would have been >.>
Actually I shoulda put that paragraph saying to anyone. Only the first paragraph under your name was really toward toward you. Was kinda more of a round up to what I said in all and that I was gonna try a new site since I didn't like neopets and here's getting really expensive and as ya said not as fun.

Female
558 posts

telekinec • 8 May 2017 at 9:29 AM

@immortalraven
I'm not angry at you for disliking Neopets xD They have it hard just like Egg Cave.. To be honest all games have it hard, those that came on internet and try to break the water. Egg Cave's lucky to have been here for that long (although I don't really know how old it is). All adoptables sites seem to have the same problems and I'm talking about almost all of them, for example PokéHeroes. It all comes back to rares and fights among people for what? Pixels?

Female
9,263 posts

immortalraven • 8 May 2017 at 9:37 AM

@jean561114573609
Ok xD
It doesn't seem like chickensmoothie or gothicatworld have a hard time as much o3o Though I am not totally sure on what ya mean by hard time for that. But there aren't arguments over what things are worth in those two at least not from I've seen. And I haven't come across anyone rude except one person on chickensmoothie. Though I don't find em as appealing cause the critters are like all the same but just different designs xD But I am kinda liking em more now since I haven't run across so many rude people and trading for ones I want is easier since both have re-releases of sorts xD
Never been on PokeHeros. Been on Horze or something like that and logged in like last year and it seemed kinda dead though. I don't remember for sure but I think things were harder to get there and the currency bought with real money didn't get ya much new horses and such. But that may be in my head.

Female
558 posts

telekinec • 8 May 2017 at 9:41 AM

@immortalraven
I don't know if it's just me or whatever, but I find that adoptables tend to end up the same... They don't innovate or whatever. Which is the original reason why I had an hiatus on here, moved out and then came back. I tried this site, Neopets and PokéHeroes. They're all nice in the beginning, and then you start seeing the cracks (rude people, rares which seem even legendaries, etc.) I'm trying to get into Flight Rising and see if anything is different over there (the art is great though). I just wish Egg Cave would get a bigger team to maintain the game, innovate, make some new events whatnot. And deal with the rerelease of cretures. And yea... I know about finance and small teams and whatnot, but still...

Female
9,263 posts

immortalraven • 8 May 2017 at 10:42 AM

@jean561114573609
Ah, mmk.
I was gonna look into Flight Rising but I forgot and they had a sign up since I was gonna look I think and missed it. I guess I'll check when the next one is but think I'll try this other one first to see how it is x3
New events would be nice.

Male
336 posts

ufo • 8 May 2017 at 11:13 AM

@jellifysh @immortalraven thank you both for sharing 😊 I appreciate seeing everyone's opinions on this and I agree with everything you said. And yes the fake hacking was extremely easy and quick to sort out and I unfortunately almost got scammed by the whole situation which has never happened to me before ever anywhere..

I love eggcave and I'll continue to play I just am hoping my experience on here gets better instead of worse! 😊 thanks again everyone for sharing your thoughts!

Male
2,762 posts

fakeworld • 8 May 2017 at 5:27 PM

@jardoz @immortalraven @jean561114573609 @daisy1664

I want to speak on the rares and such first. I understand that everyone has a different perspective on this matter, but I actually like that there are extremely rare creatures that are hard to obtain. What I don't support is the massive increases in cost for such creatures. To me, the prices are way over-exaggerated and I do hope that something could be done to at least semi-satisfy everyone. Customer perception is everything!

I also don't think Egg Cave is near-struggling, personally. It may not be as active or thriving as some of you may hope, but it's definitely a growing and tight-knit community. Some common ground just needs to be found with major problems like re-releases and value fluctuations. One of the things I do love about Egg Cave is that we're giving the opportunity to voice and share our opinions about the site, and sometimes things actually get done, even with such a small team.

It's honestly up to us (who have been around for a while) to keep the "culture" that you all say used to be here alive. It may be hard but if we continue to try to play like we did a year or two ago, or even three then we should be subject to make some change at least or keep the site from moving in the wrong direction. It's up to the community to make and create change as well.

Female
9,263 posts

immortalraven • 8 May 2017 at 8:31 PM

@fakeworld
I don't care if they are less rare or not. I feel they should still be rare but possible for newer players to get and what ya said the prices are ridiculous. I can literally buy an animal, plus an enclosure for it, and like food for at least a month [probably more] for how much some on here is 'worth'. They are pixels. I don't mind doing a good bit for some but to the point of that much I just see as kinda wrong.

I don't think they are really struggling either. I just feel like there are less people as active and such but money wise I don't think they are struggling at all. Just this year I have spent $1,350 so far. I know daisy and jardoz has spent a lot too with how much CC I see em trading and the critters they have. I don't know how much it takes to run a site but I feel they're good but I may be wrong o3o Sorry if I am >.<

I don't know how to be able to do that really. I can't control what other people do and a big problem I have is seeing so many rude comments and actions. It feels it's gotten worse and worse. It may just be me though. But I see more of it. And I see a lot of nice older users either quit or hiatus and some they have said because they don't like the attitude of some on here ☹️ I may just have my eyes more open and just see it more than I used to because before I didn't pay attention as much to it. Some I don't even know warrant as being rude. To some it may not be and thus I am afraid to report it so leave it to the person who it is to unless it is blatantly obvious. And I am probably a bit uptight with what I think is rude and such too so yeah >.> Though there has been blatantly rude things I have seen. I try to be nice and let people down easy but I get called rude, greedy and such if I don't trade sometimes. And it's not only me that gets that. And it's not just stuff to do with trading that has rude things. This was originally my safe haven from real life but now it isn't really and it makes me sad that it isn't anymore but it might also be I am happier than I was and that back then I just blocked out anything negative I saw back then unless really really bad. I just don't know anymore >.<

Non-binary
2,849 posts

luv • 8 May 2017 at 9:03 PM

I came back today, so please, let that bear all the weight of what I am about to say and do not take much of anything too seriously.

That disclaimer clarified, I dislike the idea of re-release. That's probably easy for me to say, I suppose, I've been around for six years. But I also have no concept of trading value-- I never have. I trade for whatever I think looks nicest, and give away what I don't. However, I know the atmosphere has changed. When I was a new member, an older user gave away lots and lots of semi-rare/LE characters and let me have the majority of the lots. This changed my entire experience, as it gave me somewhere to start without buying CC. Something to build up to. I participated in an auction and got my darling foo Jayca, basically left with about three creatures in my cove because I nearly gave up anything.

I'm not sure if any of you were around, but foos were re-released a year or so later. I was devastated and a little furious, and I believe Ian said he would not do it again after that happened because it sparked so much outrage. But I'm hypocritical in myself because they also released florns and roos, and I didn't hesitate to jump on the train and get those.

So what's the answer? I'm not sure. I like to say I'm against re-release, but I also know a lot of users aren't like me (constantly combing newer user's wishlists and trying to help out, and trying to gift rarer creatures when possible). I'm also too trusting. As a user, I've done "sleepovers" for the past six years. If I really wanted a creature, I'd talk to a friend and we'd trade for about a month, then trade back. Is that possible any more? I don't know. It sounds like it's harder to find people you can trust.