Say no to ocean plastic

in Chit-Chat

Female
599 posts

naked-snakes-box • 10 June 2017 at 4:23 PM

hello everyone I know old and new users love there egg cave critters, so I believe I am at the right place,recently I found this petition on Greenpeace about plastic thrown into the sea which is killing and hurting are ocean beauties. and it made me super sad so I was thinking u beautiful users would help fight this sick act and join the petition.

You can find all the information over at:

http://signup.greenpeace.org.uk/m/oceans-plastics?_ma=1354&_ml=940&_ms=463&_msai=msn-uk&_msd=2017-06-10+20%3A05%3A03&utm_campaign=Click%3AD-2551&utm_medium=in_banner&utm_source=Taboola-463&utm_content=100x33&_mflt=in_banner&_mfl=2551&_muu=78ca8e73-2fb0-46ea-b3a5-7ec70ad14e92&_mclk=1956265&_msd=2017-06-10+20%3A05%3A03&_msai=msn-uk&ai=&li=&a10=1354%3D1&l10=2551%3D1&aa=&la=

Thank you for reading this.

Female
2,301 posts

lykhaos117 • 10 June 2017 at 7:28 PM

@naked-snakes-box

To protect and raise awareness for oceans and other aquatic ecosystems, I'd like to add a few more things:

1) It is good to bring the need for recycling bins to public attention. I recommend letting your school/college/workplace/frequently visited building be aware that it should include recycling bins along with trash cans so that people will be able to recycle instead of having to throw bottles in the trash or carry them around until they can find a bin. It's also advisable to educate people on what is recyclable and what is trash since this can vary according to region and facility. Information on this could be included on recycling bins so people won't have to memorize a bunch of stuff.

2) Avoid products with microbeads, which are tiny plastic spheres put in cosmetic products and are hard to filter out of water supplies. They are a dangerous source of plastic pollution. (Also, microbeads are NOT the tiny dissolving beads in hand sanitizer; they are hard and don't melt into the liquid.)

3) Properly dispose of plastic bags. They are not recyclable in some places because they get caught in the machines. Also, sea turtles can mistake them for jellyfish, eat them, and die.

There is some good news, though. Some innovaters are coming up with ways to reduce plastic in oceans, and recent discoveries show that plastic bags can be biodegradable when fed to waxworms.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-07/plastic-eating-underwater-drone-could-swallow-great-pacific-garbage-patch#page-2

http://www.futuretimeline.net/blog/2017/04/26.htm

59 posts

darklunar • 10 June 2017 at 7:33 PM

@lykhaos117

thanks for your amazing advice its very helpful and refreshing to hear

Female
4,575 posts

wigglytuff • 10 June 2017 at 8:07 PM

@naked-snakes2 yay! I love to save water! And no to ocean plastic!

Female
599 posts

naked-snakes-box • 11 June 2017 at 3:35 AM

@wigglytuff
thanks for your reply

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 12 June 2017 at 10:10 AM

@naked-snakes-box @lykhaos117 @wigglytuff
What a lovely cause!

I would like to bring to your attention to Waste Free Street which helps distinguish what is recyclable. One of their biggest concerns are coffee cups, as majority cannot be recyclable.

Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/WasteFreeStreet/

If you guys are aware of any other organisations I would love to hear about it.

Female
2,301 posts

lykhaos117 • 12 June 2017 at 12:00 PM

@mastergemma
@naked-snakes-box
@wigglytuff

I also recommend volunteering for the following if you have time:

-ocean/river cleanups
-zoos (which actually do a lot of conservation work and public education; for Americans, please make sure the zoo has AZA accreditation, which guarantees that the zoo is held to high standards; otherwise, there isn't a guarantee)
-national parks
-recycling for public events
-summer camps/activity groups with a focus on the environment

Hope this is useful! 😊

Deleted • 12 June 2017 at 2:15 PM

What a marvelous idea! It hurts me to see trash anywhere! As I live in the U.S. and have been to plenty of states I notice the lack of awareness and responsibility people have towards trash and recyclables. In today's time people are too "lazy" to walk over and throw there garbage away. So, if there are more trash cans around and more volunteers to help clear it I think we'd be able to do it! I grew up loving lakes but now when I go to visit it's sad to see its polluted with trash. I also love taking family trips to the ocean but, noticing all the trash it was hard to enjoy. Creating a group would be a great way to start this off. Taking a week long trip to the beaches with a group to start cleaning up is the first step. I know I'd persuade many people to volunteer. For one, after we clean up the majority of the beach we can relax on the clean sand and beautiful ocean.

#SayNoToOceanPlastic
#StopPollutedWaters

Deleted • 15 June 2017 at 9:10 PM

@naked-snakes-box

Petition! I'm in!

It's just disgusting when there's trash people are to lazy to clean.
Let me tell you a story about how this affected me.

(Yes I am a kid.)

So I was at school. We were banned from eating snack on the playground. Some "friend" of mine, every day she went and dumped her chip bags all over the playground when there was a trash can like, 5 steps away. When other kids went to play in the sand. They found so many chip bags. Chip. Bags.

It was sssooooo disgusting. ☚ī¸
*sssssssssssoooooooooooo disgusting.
It's like we lived in the ocean there was so many bags.
We made a joke that that kid wants to grow a chip bag tree.

Female
1,395 posts

iris1929578 • 30 June 2017 at 12:22 AM

@naked-snakes-box AKA Mustical-Deity

Me too!

I agree with @mastergemma. Everyone loves to drink coffee (even though I'm 9 I love it too) and everyone uses coffee cups!!! Think about how many cups are thrown away...

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 30 June 2017 at 6:09 AM

@lykhaos117
Sounds great! In Australia, there's a day called Clean Up Australia Day. I remember participating in school and it was fun!

@togepi360
My primary school friends did the same. One the last day of terms we would have time to clean up the school before we leave on holiday and my friends wouldn't do a thing. I remember having a go at them and I nearly got into trouble with a teacher because the teacher thought I was trying to start a punch on.

@iris1929578
Please, do not drink a lot of coffee. It's not recommended for someone so young to drink more than a cup a day.

Another useful hint: keep an eye on what your local council is doing, they will occasionally go out to plant trees etc.

Female
1,395 posts

iris1929578 • 1 July 2017 at 12:34 AM

@mastergemma

Don't worr, I don't. I rarely even drink it, and usually it's a very small cup.

Female
2,301 posts

lykhaos117 • 1 July 2017 at 12:51 AM

Ooh, cleaning up stories... I've got an experience.

So I've been in various volunteer groups, and one of them was doing a river cleanup after some flooding in my city. There was so much weird stuff! I doubt all of it was litter since it probably got there from a flood, but still... 0_0

Among the things we found were a suitcase filled with soggy leaves, a bucket of mysterious goo, the bottom part of a bikini, some socks, fast food kid's meal toys, barbed wire, balls, plastic bags, a floatation device, bottles, cans, and a sleeping bag.

That was a weird day.