CRW Theme Suggestion: Continents

in Fan Art & Creature Suggestions

Female
2,301 posts

lykhaos117 • 18 August 2021 at 2:47 PM

#CreatureSuggestion
#ThemeSuggestion
#UserSuggestion

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I had a suggestion for Creature Release Week: continents! πŸ˜ƒ

I noticed that there were seven days of the week and seven continents, and it would be really interesting in my view for there to be creatures with such a theme since I really like travel, wildlife, and learning about other cultures, and I suspect other Egg Cave users do as well based on some of the other creatures on this site.

Each creature could draw upon the wildlife, culture, mythology, cryptozoology, and/or ecosystem features prevalent in each continent.

What do you guys think?

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 19 August 2021 at 12:01 AM

@lykhaos117

I'd love to see a Continent theme!
I have nothing to add to the wonderfully thought out ideas for where inspiration could come from. It would be hard to narrow it down to just one creature to represent each continent... but that's the fun pat about Eggcave... many can become one πŸ˜‰ (heehee... Stingrayolypus)

Fun fact... did you know that the camel originated in North America?!

Female
2,113 posts

cranberrycat1 • 25 August 2021 at 3:31 PM

Same i'd also love to see a continent theme, I also like wild life and I travel a bit in summer!

I did not know the camel originated in North america.

Male
1,991 posts

Ian • 8 September 2022 at 3:09 PM

@lykhaos117 @snowywinter @cranberrycat1

Thanks for the suggestion! We are already gathering and collecting ideas for CRW 2023's theme. I like this idea!

What are some creature suggestions you might have to represent each continent? Continents themselves are so diverse and it's challenging to find something representative of the entire continent. I'm curious to hear you all's thoughts for each continent.

Female
2,113 posts

cranberrycat1 • 8 September 2022 at 3:19 PM

Maybe the national animal for each continent or something @ian but ya continents are really diverse it’s hard to pick one thing about them

Male
1,991 posts

Ian • 8 September 2022 at 4:11 PM

@cranberrycat1 yeah, it's almost like an individual country from a continent needs to be picked at random and then find an exotic species from that country that's cool.

Female
2,113 posts

cranberrycat1 • 8 September 2022 at 4:20 PM

Ya though it should be easier for the arctic compared to all the others

Maybe we could do a creature that is not already on egg cave @ian

Female
2,158 posts

prairie • 9 September 2022 at 11:20 AM

I think this has the potential to be a really cool idea!
If you go by the continents of North America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, Australia and Antarctica you cqan pic a 'main' creature from each.
I do agree with @ian that "Continents themselves are so diverse and it's challenging to find something representative of the entire continent", so it'd be hard to represent the entire continent with something in the culture category. But I do love the wildlife & ecosystem idea.
Just off the top of my head, if I try to think up a species of animal we don't have/have much of on EC for each, I come up with these animals off the top of my head (as someone from the US):
North America mountain lion, bison, moose, pronghorn, bald eagle, luna moth
South America toucan, jaguar, macaw, sloth, amazon river dolphin, giant otter, anaconda
Africa wildebeest, ostrich, okapi, hyena, giraffe, cheetah, African wild dog
Europe pine marten, European badger, Eurasian lynx, European hedgehog
Asia tapir, pangolin, tanuki, bearcat, komodo dragon, clouded leopard
Australia cassowary, echidna, kookaburra, koalas, wombat, dingo, quokka, platypus
Antarctica emperor penguin, orca, leopard seal, albatross,

Male
1,991 posts

Ian • 9 September 2022 at 3:27 PM

@prairie

These suggestions are GOLD! I love it. I'm feeling pretty good about choosing this for CRW 2023.

Any other suggestions from others? ❀️

Female
2,538 posts

dragrawr • 9 September 2022 at 3:36 PM

@Ian I had an idea to draw all 7 suggestions for a seven deadly sins CRW πŸ‘€

It would be fun to also do continents and I’d be down to collab with others if anyone would like πŸ‘

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 9 September 2022 at 5:43 PM

just a few notes (running a a few days of very little sleep.)
I would like to see the Antarctic Krill included in possibilities for representation of Antarctica. So small, but sooo important.
I keep seeing some knotwork being incorporated for Europe. And maybe a gnome hat.
I'd like a few elements from each continent to be included, whether it's an actual animal or not. Like it's almost essential that Antarctica include ice. (*cough* And also try to be sensitive to not cross over into cultural appropriation - while still paying homage to them.)

Female
2,158 posts

prairie • 9 September 2022 at 6:06 PM

@snowywinter
OOOO an Antarctic Krill would be so neat! :0

Demifluid
1,500 posts

wonder404exe • 9 September 2022 at 6:06 PM

@ian 7 elements of art? anything 7 just fits right in lol

Female
2,158 posts

prairie • 9 September 2022 at 6:08 PM