quality of life suggestions

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Transsexual
138 posts

sonny • 15 October 2021 at 8:51 AM

hey all! ive thought of some kinda interesting quality of life things that could be implemented.

every time i visit the adoption center, its barren!!! and i think its because it costs 4,500 ec to abandon a creature. i believe it should be free to abandon a creature, and there should be an adoption fee for picking up an abandoned creature. itd help lots of people clear out space in their coves without either letting creatures just die or posting auctions/trades and hoping someone will take all the creatures they dont want.

another thing is i would love an option to "watch" an auction. if i look through the auctions and see one thats ending in 7 days, i might not remember or be there for it when its coming to an end to be able to bid on it. if i could add then to a watch list to be able to keep track of them i feel like i could probably snag way more creatures from auctions!

just some ideas i had 😊

Female
2,374 posts

ida92 • 15 October 2021 at 8:57 AM

@sonny I like both of your ideas, especially the option to "watch" an auction. It's something I have been thinking about too!

Female
441 posts

tetra • 26 October 2021 at 5:10 AM

@sonny
Just wanted to give this topic a bump because I’ve always had an issue with the Adoption Centre but never wanted to make a topic about it, so thank you xD

First of all, I can’t recall if I ever abandoned a creature, but I have adopted a couple creatures from the Adoption Centre years ago.
The username of the owner would be displayed, and I would visit their wall to thank them. But I was always confused on why they seem to be shaming you for ‘abandoning’ your creatures.

If you really think about it, the Adoption Centre and the Donation Centre are the same thing. You’re giving away a creature or item for free. You’re not trying to get anything valuable in exchange, in fact you have to pay 4,500 EC to abandon a creature, it’s at your expense.

If you do charge a fee for adopting and no fees for abandoning, while being able to get commons for free, then you're going to wound up with a lot of commons in there, and I don't think the creatures in the Adoption Centre can die from hunger? I would guess they're in some limbo state like the creatures in the Trade Centre. It would be pretty dark if they just let them starve 😱

Perhaps if they lower the processing fee to 1000 EC that might help, same cost as changing a name. I don’t know about having an adopting fee, they seem to want to encourage it “This is where kind and giving Ark citizens can adopt creatures that have been abandoned by their cruel, irresponsible owners.”

While you can get rid of creatures by using Auctions, sometimes people won't bid on them even if you really lower the price, especially if it's just commons.
I know there used to be a cove called trash_cove where users could send creatures there or adopt them. The thing with coves though is you have to contact the owner and hope they’ll accept your trade. At least with the Adoption Centre, you can adopt or decrease your cove space immediately.

As for auctions, I just bid on any one that catches my eye, or make a note in my calendar to check out the auction before it ends. If you did place a bid, you'll be notified that the auction will end soon. Though being able to follow certain auctions would be helpful.

Thoughts? Sorry for the super long post xD
@ida92
@izziedragon
@frankenstein
@pwuffy
@snowywinter - I know you're running an adoption centre of your own!

Female
408 posts

izziedragon • 26 October 2021 at 9:57 AM

@tetromino @sonny I don't really have anything to add at the moment but I'm loving all these ideas, keep em coming!

150 posts

greengrassoftunnel • 26 October 2021 at 1:47 PM

Yes, the adoption center is pretty depressing most of the time. More creatures would be nice.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 26 October 2021 at 3:15 PM

@tetromino
I really like the idea of lower the price to 1000 EC to put an animal in the adoption center. (It never made sense to me to have to pay to get rid of one when 1. There are the Auctions, and 2. many times people will snag them from the adoption center and turn around and sell them.)
Same price as a rename seems fair.
I know the higher price is to discourage people from abandoning creatures, but people will find a way to get rid of their eggs one way or another. No sense any longer in shaming people that are just trying to be nice.

(ummm.... I've only told two people so far, but mostly likely I'm shutting down @swmystery at the beginning of next month. You can PM me for more details, but I need a LOT more cove space and organization ASAP. I really wanted to run the adoption program for a LOT longer. ☹️ Like another Year or two at least. I appreciate the shout out though.
@lilacblack has started one and hopefully it'll last.)

Female
559 posts

pwuffy • 26 October 2021 at 6:29 PM

@sonny @tetromino (thanks for the ping also! ❤️) i like both of your ideas and 100% agree, especially about watching an auction... that would be sooo useful. a lot of the time i just end up setting a reminder in my phone when an auction will end soon or else i will forget, and even then sometimes i miss it if i don't have multiple reminders like a few hours before it ends, a day before it ends, etc... would love to see a system like this implemented!!

and agreed about the adoption center as well!! ❤️

Female
2,374 posts

ida92 • 27 October 2021 at 2:13 PM

@tetromino I don't really have enything to add at the moment, but I like what you have written and I support it. 😊

I'm a bit tired recently from a lot of work and studies, so I might not be the brightest thinker these days 😃

Female
441 posts

tetra • 28 October 2021 at 4:33 AM

Thanks for the replies! ❤️
@snowywinter
I would understand why they would want to ‘punish’ someone for abandoning their creature if it meant that that creature no longer existed, like it becomes 0% happy and dies from hunger (I don’t think that will happen though?)

Thinking about it now, the Adoption Centre is quite archaic. It was introduced before the Trade Centre and Auctions. So for a while that was the only option to decrease your cove space or part with a creature you didn't want, but at least there weren’t over 900 creatures back then.

It would be nice if it gets revamped/renovated. Could help a lot of users who are starting out, those who want to decrease their cove space or users who like to collect certain creatures 😃

You know how you can search for Species and Items in the Trade Centre? It would be great to have an Adoption Centre where you can search for Species that can be adopted immediately.
And you can send more than 1 creature there quickly with a Select Creatures option like in Trades, Transfers, and Tims.

@greengrassoftunnel would like to see more creatures there even if I’m not looking to adopt, but it's just easier to put them in the Trades and Auctions since you don't have to pay EC to do so.

@pwuffy it’s very easy to miss out on an auction, especially if it’s happening at 3 AM or something DX

@izziedragon @ida92 thank you very much! I totally understand, usually I don’t have anything to add to suggestions but I’ve been thinking about the adoption centre for a while now 😊

150 posts

greengrassoftunnel • 28 October 2021 at 12:55 PM

@tetromino exactly, it shouldn't be easier to auction off creatures than put them up for adoption. Let's make it easier for people to be nice to each other and give each other free stuff.

Female
244 posts

lilacblack • 31 October 2021 at 12:53 PM

I love everything said on this topic and agree completely. As @snowywinter said I'm opening my adoption center tomorrow at @sweetnightmare if anyone is interested. Thanks for the shoutout!

@tryvegan4theanimals