[suggestion] # users currently online

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Do you support implementing a "users currently online" list?

719 posts

nut • 25 January 2023 at 9:44 PM

I've always wondered how many users are active at the same time as me, and which coves I've never seen before but also belong to active players.

I think seeing a number or list of currently online users would help connect the community more, like finding new & active people to chat with or feed. Especially for events like the upcoming Chocotravaganza that depends on linking up with active users, I think seeing who's active would be useful!

I'm thinking of a list of currently online users somewhere on the site (sidebar?). Users could still choose in your preferences to be "invisible" from that list (similar to hiding "last seen" on the profile).

For example, it would say something like this:

10 users currently online
@nut
@pea
@soy
@oil
+6 hidden users

Sometimes it's hard to gauge how much activity there is on the site and I think it would be a cool way to discover new users!

Female
1,285 posts

daisycat • 25 January 2023 at 9:51 PM

@nut
Agree completely, love your idea! I have always wondered this myself. 😊

Female
1,318 posts

twinkle • 25 January 2023 at 9:51 PM

@nut
YES!! I totally support this suggestion ❀️
This is so helpful for the upcoming event ;u;

1,132 posts

hikanu • 25 January 2023 at 10:14 PM

I wouldn't mind if the functionality was added for the convenience of others, but I also know myself well enough to know I wouldn't really be making much use of it. So, for me, it doesn't really make much of a difference whether its here or not. 😊

Female
2,538 posts

dragrawr • 25 January 2023 at 11:24 PM

@nut I support !! I think it could be just a simple page with the link to it on the bottom ❀️

Female
1,726 posts

minnie298a • 25 January 2023 at 11:30 PM

While a count of how many people are active in a set time (like in the last hour, or last 10 minutes), would be interesting, I'm not a fan of the idea of a list of names. Currently can't pin point why though.

In regards to the upcoming Choc event, there would still be limitations. Those who wish to remain invisible, as well as side accounts being visible being two things I can think of off the top of my head.

I can also see such a list being used for feedings, which may lead to some getting unwanted attention. Also what would be classed as being active? Clicking or viewing creatures? Actually feeding? Lurking around the forums? Sitting and refreshing the oasis every 5 minutes?

719 posts

nut • 26 January 2023 at 1:15 AM

@daisycat @twinkle @hikanu @dragrawr
thank you all so much for your input! 😊

@minnie298a
You bring up really good points. I was also hesitant to bring up the list of names idea because I agree it feels kind of invasive or something lol. But I'm not sure how the rest of the user community feels about it, and if anything similar ever gets made it's definitely important to have the choice to hide your name from the list.

I was envisioning being "active" as just whatever it takes to make the existing user icon turn green (I think any clicking in the past 15min?) so not really "active" as in "actively doing things", more just "online" if you will. like, just a list of whoever's icons are currently green.

I agree with the limitations you bring up! In a perfect scenario, I imagine the majority of users are okay with the idea, so they'd elect to be visible on the list and thus create a resource to find people to send chocolates. Even if you are part of the (assumed) minority choosing to be invisible, you can still participate in the event all the same.

Similarly, if you didn't want to attract attention to your cove and receive unwanted feeds, you could stay invisible. Perhaps side accounts by default would remain invisible ...? Honestly I didn't think about the side account aspect, but personally I spend 99% of my time on my main, not sure about others.

((I just thought of the potential backlash though like if people don't end up liking the feature and everyone goes invisible LOL))

Thank you so much for your thoughts 😊

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 26 January 2023 at 4:44 AM

@nut
I FULLY support seeing the number of users online.
(Was actually discussing this with another player in the past few days.)

Another site I'm on has a real-time ticker(?)* on their sidebar and I love it.
I think here it would fit nicely right under the Social Media links, Log Out, or under the clock. (Sidenote: I LOVE having the clock! Especially since Microsoft got rid of the clock on Windows with the second hand.)
(*Not a ticker, but I don't know what to call it. Display?)

But am quite against a list of names. I've always found that to be invasive. And even if users can hide being online then it seems shady on their part (even if it's shy or socially anxious people like myself) and a little attention seeking by those who don't. (And don't get me started on birthday icons. Grrr. *mentally flicking a lighter wanting to set them on fire*)

@/minnie298a brings up a lot of good points!
(as for bringing more feedings that could be exciting ... but a double edged sword.)

FYI... most sites that use the Who's online thing, the algorithms almost always go by who is logged in. (old style sites like this anyhow.) And thus why a lot of people used to actually use their stats for if they were AFK (Away from keyboard.)
(I imagine it could be coded different for timeouts... I've just almost never seen it implemented.)

719 posts

nut • 26 January 2023 at 11:45 AM

@snowywinter

Yeah, I've definitely been on other sites with a real-time count on the sidebar which is where I got the idea! Under the social media links was where I was thinking too. But yeah, I agree with what you're saying that names might be a bit much. I was just hoping it could be put to use during events and such by actually letting you see active people. Thanks so much for your input! 😊

I hate birthday icons too HAHA and even worse is getting a notification that it's someone random's birthday...*cough* facebook *cough*

Female
2,691 posts

jlya • 26 January 2023 at 2:12 PM

@nut
I love the idea of having the number of users online!! It would be nice to know how active the site is at certain times, especially when asking a question or posting a trade in the forums.
As others have stated, I'm indifferent to the idea of listing usernames. I think the number would be sufficient if several people are against the idea. It does weirdly feel a little privacy-invasive to have your username listed xD

Female
2,909 posts

heatherm19 • 26 January 2023 at 3:31 PM

I love the idea of showing how many users are online, in fact when I first joined I was surprised the site didn't have a feature like that. Personally I'm just always curious how many others are around the same time as me, especially since this is an international site with users in very different timezones.

As for listing usernames... That's something I *would* be against in principle, and if it did happen I would hope there would be an 'invisible' mode. BUT, given that the site already has very similar functionality, I don't see it as a huge issue. Right now, even if you hide the 'last seen' on your profile, your username still changes to green whenever you are active. Anyone can scroll through the forums and see your green name and know you are online, or go through their friend's list, or whatever. Simply gathering that already-available info into a list doesn't seem like a huge leap. (Honestly that confused me at first, why do we have the option to hide 'last seen' if the color of our username gives it away anyways?)

Female
559 posts

pwuffy • 26 January 2023 at 5:07 PM

@nut i really like this idea! its very reminiscent of forums i used to browse that would have all the online users in a list somewhere... however i think it'd actually be more beneficial for something like egg cave since it is a relatively smaller community and interaction between players is more integral. totally agree that being able to be "invisible" is important though - maybe if you have your "last seen" set to "hidden" on your profile it will hide your name from the online user list by default? definitely agree with the idea though and i could see it being used to foster more socializing especially during events 😊

719 posts

nut • 2 February 2023 at 10:36 AM

@jlya @heatherm19 @pwuffy thank you so much for your ideas and input! πŸ˜ƒ

now that my original excitement has died down I do agree the username list might not be a good idea as I'm nearly certain there would be at least a few people against it lol. oh well. I just wanted to brainstorm ways for community connection.

to heatherm19 in particular I totally agree haha. I guess the "hidden" hides you best when you're not online, no one can tell when the last time your activity was. I feel like most other platforms I'm used to (discord, steam, fb, instagram, even slack for school) lets you actually be "invisible" aka gray icon so maybe eggcave should think about doing something like that. 😊

Female
3,556 posts

pegasasu • 7 February 2023 at 1:39 PM

@nut

I'm also indifferent to having the usernames listed. I think it might be cool to have a random online user button that would take you to a random user who marks that they're willing to chat.

I don't know if you've used WeChat but they have an option to shake the phone and then it matches you to chat with someone else nearby that's also shaking their phone lol. That might be a fun way to get connected to users I've never met before!

Great idea for the # online counter though ❀️

719 posts

nut • 8 February 2023 at 4:07 PM

@pegasasu I like that idea!! thanks for your input.

lol I use wechat to text my mom and my other family in china, but I had no idea it had that function xD that's crazy! I might have to try that when I go back this summer.

Female
2,113 posts

cranberrycat1 • 8 February 2023 at 4:19 PM

I am always so curious how many people are active when I am!

Non-binary
1,318 posts

raccoon • 18 February 2023 at 11:59 AM

Support for something that says how many users are online at any given time but no support for the list of usernames unless it's something you can opt out of while also being online and counted in the users online thing.

i'm curious to know how many people are online at a time but i think a list of usernames is a bit of a privacy invasion!

Female
2,538 posts

dragrawr • 15 March 2023 at 12:18 PM

Still pushing this but I agree with @raccoon

I don’t mind people knowing I’m online and when so they know to contact me or not, but I don’t want them contacting me BECAUSE I’m online if that makes sense. Sometimes I pop on for one cave attempt so I don’t wanna leave Mail/comments hanging and it’s kinda awkward.

But the online users would be fun

Female
391 posts

redflipflap • 7 November 2023 at 6:58 PM

I'd love to see something like this! It could be cool to see active users and even new users!

Female
1,243 posts

senkou • 8 November 2023 at 2:20 AM

boost !!! would love to see this on the site πŸ˜ƒ