Creature Suggestion: The Asteri (Re-try, edited description)

in Fan Art & Creature Suggestions

Female
869 posts

netherling • 5 February 2023 at 1:35 PM

I've noticed a lot of creature suggestions being made again and wanted to give this one another chance!

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b504/Netherling_Wings/20170907_092142-1_zpsslrmbleh.jpg

Description (so far):

Asteri give off a white glow when under the full cover of darkness. On the rare occasions when they are spotted, they are seen during nights when the moon is full, seemingly soaking up the light of the moon. Since they only venture out boldly when most of Ark is asleep, other sightings are rare. The markings on their foreheads mirror the moon's phases, changing as it does, signifying their connection to the celestial body, but no one is sure of the connection's nature. Despite being shy creatures they make wonderful companions, showing a playful side once they get comfortable. Those who are fortunate enough to develop a bond with an Asteri say that the creatures prefer to stay indoors during the day, while at night they try to escape outside to play in the light of the moon.

(I'm of course open to edits and additions to the creature description)

Female
521 posts

sapphire12 • 5 February 2023 at 1:43 PM

@netherling oh no it's adorable

One creature with a similar vibe is the Glimmerkin. I wonder if it could be related or in the same group?

--

About Glimmerkin Eggs
Glimmerkin eggs glow a pale white when touched by moonlight. As the egg nears hatching the heart will begin to glow as well, even when not under the moonlight.

About the Glimmerkin Creature
Glimmerkins are imbued with a magic that is strongly tied to the moon. These powers begin to develop as the Glimmerkin grows out of its kitten phase. Around this time Glimmerkins become bonded with a type of sprite, the ultimate source of the Glimmerkin's magical abilities. Glimmerkins must learn to trust the sprite as well as protect it, as the sprite can not use any magic on its own, it can only share magic with others. This symbiotic relationship eventually results in a more permanent bonding as the two will fuse together to transform into a fully fledged Glimmerkin, one with complete mastery over their unique magics.

Glimmerkin's who are unable to protect their sprite are never able to reach their full potential. These magically stunted Glimmerkin's live out rather mundane lives and must seek out protection from other more powerful beings in order to survive in Fairy World.

Female
869 posts

netherling • 5 February 2023 at 4:08 PM

@sapphire12

I actually didn't know that was the description to the Glimmerkin. This creature suggestion is from 2017 so I created this years ago, and I do see similarities. So they could be related in that aspect but then again I can rewrite the description since they're so similar.

Edit: The more I look at the Glimmerkin's appearance and similarities to mine, the more I start to feel a kind of way lol. It looks very similar to my suggestion by way of coloration, the swirls on the wings, the moon on the forehead, and the only real difference is it having pink instead of yellow and hearts instead of stars.

Edit 2: Apparently I said something about the Glimmerkin looking like my creature back when the blog post about it first went active on September 1st in 2018. Hm.

Female
521 posts

sapphire12 • 5 February 2023 at 4:56 PM

@netherling I mean since yours was first but unfortunately didn't gain traction I understand. I think the Glimmerkin was very obviously Sailor Moon inspired and it's not hard to derive because they had two cat mascots on that show.

That's why I said yours would probably still fit the lore as an adjacent or a rarer version (CSP rather than Cave - though I would love it to be Cave lol)?

The Asteri comes out only in full moons but the Glimmerkin needs moonlight in general. You can also sneak in that they are an older, more senior breed that often take Glimmerkins under their wings to hone their magic lol.

I kind of see the Glimmerkins as the more socialite, people facing version while the Asteri is the quietly, calmly powerful ones maybe?

I think 2017 is long enough for them to consider a similar release.

Female
1,310 posts

daisycat • 5 February 2023 at 4:57 PM

@netherling
I love the Asteri!! 😍 I would definitely pay to have this cat in my cove, and I know others would as well. More kitties are always welcome on EC! Beautiful egg and creature. My favorite parts: that face, chest fluff, curly part of the wings, faded blue tip of the tail, the stars and moon... pretty much everything, but omg I really love how you can't see the back legs. c: When my cat sits, she looks like she only has two front legs, she's a fluffy gurl so her back legs and feet get hidden, and she ends up looking like an Asteri. XD So cute!!

Pretty interesting that the Glimmerkin was released a little bit after your initial post for the suggestion. 🤔 I'd say that's even more reason to have yours get chosen. Instead of well hey there's already something similar, it's more like, yeah but this was a lovely suggestion beforehand, and it would be so cute to have this chibi lil kitty on here as a friend to the Glimmerkin. :-)

Edit: Oooh Sailor Moon is mentioned in the comments of the original post. 😸

Female
869 posts

netherling • 5 February 2023 at 5:14 PM

@sapphire12 I'm not sure of the inspiration but yeah, moon cats aren't exactly rare and Sailor Moon would make sense. I just think it was the appearance and description being similar to mine that got me. The Glimmerkin doesn't look like a moon cat aside from the last stage having the moon on its forehead too. It looks more like a fairy imo.

If this suggestion got enough attention to be made I'd like it to be something limited time though lol. I'd be happy with that.

@daisycat Yeah at the time I noticed the similarity too but I'm not sure why I didn't push it a bit. The timing was close together and the description and appearances are very similar, even if it was purely a wild coincidence. i also wanted the Asteri to be chibi-like because I like cutesy creatures lol, so it sitting on its back legs like that was an adorable idea to me. I like celestial/sky themed things so I wanted to implement that somehow.

321 posts

chihiro_sang • 7 March 2023 at 12:36 PM

Cool, it's a mix of fairy and sailor moon cat.

182 posts

noman15 • 10 March 2023 at 11:15 AM

I like the simplicity of the design.

Female
894 posts

murfijs • 11 March 2023 at 1:52 AM

@netherling
its so adorable! it gives me sailor moon vibes

Female
1,511 posts

froot • 11 March 2023 at 2:41 AM

@netherling i love it!!!! maybe it could be a thing with the glimmerkin like how luminettes and luminese are cousins? :0

Other
137 posts

pauloacacio • 24 May 2023 at 6:19 AM

Love it! Love it! Love it!

Female
2,413 posts

ida92 • 31 May 2023 at 3:17 AM

@netherling What a cute little angel kitten. ❤️ It's super sweet!

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 31 May 2023 at 2:40 PM

I usually don't go for the super cutsie creatures much, and i'm glad the whole similarity to the Glimmerkin thing has already been hashed out. (I honestly like the color schematic on the Asteri more. Stars, moon. Blue & white, with a splash of gold. Would be neat to see something a bit glittery on here.) The whole aesthetic is more pleasing to me overall. (Glimmerkin sort of grew on me, but only because in the one stage the staff almost looks like the medical symbol and I've had lots of friends and family in the medical community.)

Would this be a two stage creature, or four? (I kinda think it would be neat to have another simple release again. Not all have to be complicated. I'd even be fine paying for a 2-stage Cash Shop creature. If you're hoping more stages would be created that's fine, but I'm letting you know I'd fully support one with less ^^.)

Female
166 posts

vivian • 8 June 2023 at 10:44 AM

I love this idea, it's so cute!! ♡ I think I would love a 3rd stage where its a taller kitty with the same features! ^^

Other
6 posts

chaska • 13 June 2023 at 10:50 AM

I support this idea 100% gotta love cat like creatures 😊