Why do some players put quest items in their shops for a ridiculous amount of money?

in General

87 posts

structuresfromsilence • 21 March 2023 at 11:02 AM

I keep having to fail quests because people have items in their shops for like 100,000 ec or more. Are they just trying to make it harder for us to get the vend creatures that we want? ☚ī¸

Female
1,309 posts

daisycat • 21 March 2023 at 11:49 AM

@structuresfromsilence
They are not trying to make anything more difficult for you. They simply want a functional space to display their collections. It's highly priced because it's not for sale.

Please post your thoughts or "I agree!" on this topic about adding a gallery feature to the site! 😊 The more users that comment on it, the better chance we have to keep shops as shops!

Here is what I posted on that topic, I hope it can help with your frustration:

I used to get frustrated with shops as galleries, but @/matcha made a really great point about them.

"It's as if the item isn't there. It wouldn't be for sale anyway."

Users pricing items for display can be viewed as the item simply not being there. If it comes up in your search, just pretend it didn't. It's not for sale anyway. They wouldn't be selling it. It's not like they're actually charging that much.

I understand the frustration, have felt it myself, and that frustration is the reason I removed my gallery a while ago. I didn't want to irritate users the way I felt irritated. But after @/matcha saw my frustration and made that comment, it doesn't bother me anymore. Please know that I do understand how annoying it can be, but if you view it this way, maybe it can help! 😊

Also keep in mind that Egg Cave's main page states "Over 6,500 collectible items". This encourages item collecting, so what's the point of collecting if you can't display some of them? But yes, unfortunately, shops are the most functional way to display items, not the creature item collection route. Creature collections use single-use items and the items are displayed on various pages and you can't rearrange the order. People use shops for collections because they can remove the item if they ever wanted to, the items are all displayed on one page, and they can stock the shop in the order they want the items.

84 posts

quinoafuntime • 21 March 2023 at 11:52 AM

i was just thinking this. either the quests keep asking for items that people have in their shops for 99 million ec or people just love to have expensive items in their shops. it's very annoying. i had to fail 3 out of 6 quest types and was able to complete 3 quests out of 12. 9 quests to go.

Female
328 posts

passionate • 21 March 2023 at 12:09 PM

i price my items around $10k because it's usually the only one i have of it, i have no idea what price it was when i bought it, and expanding the shop tends to get pretty pricey. if someone buys it, then they needed it more than me, but they certainly dont have to buy it, and if they need it for a quest id be happy to accept a PM about it and potentially sell it for a more reasonable price 😊 worst i can say is no!

are you a newer user? if so quests are gonna be kind of a pain for a while. what i've been doing is buying one of the lower priced items during shop rotations, and building up an inventory if you will.

are you aware of the quest items swapping thread? https://eggcave.com/forums/topic/70055

i know you didnt ask for solutions but i figured i'd offer just in case this may help you 😊

139 posts

viltuvitrast • 21 March 2023 at 12:26 PM

@passionate i'm not op, but the quest items swapping thread is a great idea but would make dailies even more time consuming than they already are. i have a pretty busy schedule and can get on this site for an hour or two every day usually, so posting on there and waiting for someone to respond every time a quest asks for an item in someone's shop for a ludicrous price would probably take too much time. that's also why i haven't been building up an inventory of items. it's another good idea, but it would take a really long time since there are so many items. you are nice for trying to help though

Female
328 posts

passionate • 21 March 2023 at 12:31 PM

you know what would be most excellent? an adventure area, or even just the ability for items to drop on the site at random. i guess it kinda defeats the purpose or maybe it has even been proposed before and would be difficult to implement, but i've been wishing the site had one, because i am having a lot of fun here but my acct isn't even a month old and i'm already burnt out on the quests/dailies.

i'm also not an economics person so idk what it would do for the market either!

i can empathize with not being able to play much. i'm a parent and the only reason i've been able to play as much as i have been is bc i'm recovering from emergency dental work. i wouldn't wish that on anybody!

Female
806 posts

aedia • 21 March 2023 at 5:45 PM

I noticed this too! It's a bit annoying, haha!

Female
2,493 posts

mindassala • 23 March 2023 at 6:59 AM

I don't know, but maybe they need a large infusion of EC. 😊

Non-binary
2,819 posts

lunacharm1037 • 24 March 2023 at 12:02 PM

it's rediculous to put items ufs at 100k or more EC. Nothing is at more than 9K in my shop

69 posts

amysnow • 28 March 2023 at 3:53 AM

@passionate If you move the item in Inventory and click to see detail of it, you can see the "Associated Shop/Restock Price" under the decription. It's show the price of that item in the site's shop, the original prices. Some items have high prices like 30k, 10k.. so I often check those original price first before send them to shop.

Those item with ridiculous price, I know that they just want to display it, not for sale, but the quest will request the items that can be found in your strongroom/inventory or in shops/user shops no matter the prices, so if they keep display it there, the quest will sometime ask for it and sometime its annoying me...

Other
137 posts

pauloacacio • 21 April 2023 at 5:22 AM

I never involve myself in any quests...

Female
318 posts

chat • 23 April 2023 at 12:20 PM

Profit.

87 posts

structuresfromsilence • 20 May 2023 at 8:53 AM

Still wishing that players wouldn't do this.

I don't think it's profit, because I can't imagine that people are going to spend 100,000+ ec to finish one quest.

Maybe it's because people want to have a gallery of items, but if the purpose is to show other players the items that they collected, wouldn't other players just be annoyed that they're making it harder to complete dailies and not enjoy the gallery?

118 posts

lobstertheremin • 20 May 2023 at 9:12 AM

Thank you to everyone who stocks their shops reasonably, and special thanks to everyone who stocks items that players have in their shops for 99 million EC. I would have failed a bunch of quests today had people not done that 😊

112 posts

autumnal • 25 May 2023 at 10:17 AM

Good luck today everyone. Hope your quests don't ask for unobtainable items

97 posts

riceboysleeps • 25 May 2023 at 10:39 AM

4 quests to go. had to fail 3 out of 6 quests so far. uuuuuuuuuuuuu >:[

Female
5,409 posts

Orderedchaos • 25 May 2023 at 10:49 AM

Closing this topic as the question has been answered and its just starting to turn into a vent topic.