Display cases for items

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Cis Man
9 posts

jet • 18 May 2022 at 11:09 PM

I think some of the items are cute, I'd like to be able to display them somehow. Is that possible? Right now I'm just putting my favorite items in my shop at max price, but profile "display cases" would be pretty neat, especially if we could organize them.
I'm brand new, so maybe there already is something like this. Let me know if there is! Thanks

Genderqueer
513 posts

cherryish • 19 May 2022 at 2:48 AM

I second this idea!! Having display cases would be super cool

Female
2,394 posts

ida92 • 19 May 2022 at 2:52 AM

@jet If I remember correctly, Neopets has something like this. They call it art gallery? I may be wrong, I haven't played Neopets for like 15 years now. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Anyway, I really liked that function there and I would definitely like to be able to display items on EggCave. I don't really use items except for travels, but if I had the opportunity to create a "gallery" for other users to view, I definitely would!

Female
2,913 posts

heatherm19 • 19 May 2022 at 3:35 AM

I've seen some people using a specific creature to show off their item collections, giving most of their items to that creature and linking it on their profile... I wouldn't do that though since to my knowledge non-CC items are a one-use deal. It would be really cool to have a display case of sorts, I started collecting some plushies before I realized there was no way to actually show them off.

Cis Female
604 posts

kataclysm • 19 May 2022 at 9:58 AM

I was about to suggest Heather's notion; the best way (so far) to showcase a collection of items is to use them on a pet, and view them through the 'items collected' link on a pet's profile. I think having display cases is a cute idea, though. I'd certainly like to be able to showcase my immense collection of coffee.

Female
2,913 posts

heatherm19 • 24 August 2022 at 4:06 PM

Bumping because I've noticed an issue, I mean it *feels* like an issue, that could be solved by this suggestion. Apparently some people use their user shop as a 'display case', stocking items and then telling people not to buy them. That feels... Wrong? I mean I don't want to sound mean or anything, but as someone who searches user shops every single day for something-or-other it's extremely frustrating to *finally* see something stocked and then realize I'm not actually supposed to buy it. Why is it available in a shop if I'm not supposed to buy it? Having an actual display case to show off items would (hopefully) alleviate the need for people to use shops that way.
(And re-reading the OP I guess they mentioned that they've been doing that, somehow didn't notice that before, so yeah this could be a big help!)

Male
58 posts

snowlico • 24 August 2022 at 5:57 PM

I think this is a great idea. I would love to be able to have a gallery to display item collections. ๐Ÿ˜Š Would be nice if you could even add categories and sort items how you want like the coves you can make for certain pets.

Currently my plan is kind of like a few others have mentioned. I plan to use some pets to display various collections or items that go well with the pets. But I do think an actual gallery would be better.

@ida92 Yes neopets has galleries. Been a long time since Iโ€™ve been there but I remember that. ๐Ÿ˜Š

@heatherm19 Really if itโ€™s in their shop I donโ€™t believe there is any rule to keep you from buying it even if they ask you not to. Thatโ€™s why they would overprice it. So that itโ€™s unlikely to be bought. Still though if you want to buy it there is no way to stop you.

Female
2,913 posts

heatherm19 • 24 August 2022 at 6:24 PM

@snowlico I have been tempted to do just that multiple times, certain retired travels on my wishlist are only in 'display only' user shops and I've thought about saving up to buy them anyways. But I don't want anyone to be mad at me.

Female
2,344 posts

nkiay • 26 August 2022 at 6:43 PM

I think most people use their shops but make the price crazy high. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Female
2,913 posts

heatherm19 • 26 August 2022 at 9:28 PM

@nkiay That's why I support this suggestion so much, so people *don't* feel forced to use their shops and in the process frustrate us users actually looking to buy the things they put on display.

180 posts

north • 1 September 2022 at 12:36 PM

@jet @ian
Love this idea.

@heatherm19
This is Nkiay, I have changed my mind. I could really use this. It's hard to get things in a specific order in your shop. A display case could work like cove lists and have number to order things!

@kataclysm
I like that too, but there is no ability to arrange items. And you can't see everything, you gotta select each shop. Plus if you make a mistake, there isn't a way to erase it

Female
45 posts

brandi • 19 October 2022 at 12:13 AM

New player here but I'd love to see a display case, gallery, or pet treasure for sure ๐Ÿ˜ธ

Female
1,318 posts

twinkle • 16 January 2023 at 10:33 PM

@jet
I absolutely support this idea โค๏ธ
I also noticed the trend of users showcasing their items on their shops and this would solve that problem. If I didn't have to use my shop to sell then I would've done that too.
We should be able to organize item galleries just like the cove lists.
I hope this gets made!!

@daisycat *nudge* ๐Ÿ‘€

Female
1,285 posts

daisycat • 16 January 2023 at 10:40 PM

@jet
Need this idea yesterday! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ There's the perfect spot for it too, right next to the shop icon on our profiles. c:

It would be nice to have a gallery and then be able to have different categories in the gallery, for organization, that you can name; such as Plushies, Coffee, Favorites. Ordering them would be the same system as the cove lists. (Having said that, I do wish the cove lists could have a drag and drop feature instead of numbering heh...) I recently moved my gifts and gallery items to my side, but have yet to stock them because I know the order you put them in the shop is the order they appear. So that added task is hindering me on starting lol. ;o

When searching for quest items, it'd be nice to just get no result at all instead of one result at 5,000,000 EC or whatever lol... then you're irritated because of that person's collection. XD No hate! I collect and price highly too. ๐Ÿ˜Š (Edit: Not anymore. Waiting for official gallery feature.)

@twinkle
Thank you for the ping!

719 posts

nut • 23 January 2023 at 10:13 PM

totally support this idea too, however my original thought was like a item showcase section directly on the profile, like right above or under the profile text box for example. you would only get to display like 10 items or something of your choosing (or maybe infinite items that you can scroll through like the creatures scrollbar), but it's directly on your profile for everyone to see, kind of like the item showcase on steam haha.

I just think having a separate page item gallery that looks just like the shop might be confusing.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 26 January 2023 at 4:27 AM

@nut it may sound like it at first, but when i was on another site it really wasn't. (re: being confusing having a shop and a gallery that look the same.)
They're mainly only accessed through a few ways. And when you do a Shop Search it's only going to display items in shops and not Galleries.
Whereas Gallery is something that only only be accessed though the Profile of an individual (for viewing). (I know you can do that here too.) Items in a Gallery aren't going to have a price listed under them. (perhaps a date added?)

(but that site also allowed for a little extra coding on one or the other, i can't remember which, I think it was shops. Like Shops got the full website customization treatment, but galleries you could only do pretty much what's allowed here. But the point being is that users usually made an effort to make a distinction.)

Female
12 posts

doublechin • 13 February 2023 at 7:52 PM

I like this idea, currently I save the items that I like to keep/collect in my storage - but there's no way to "show them off", and I've also tried giving one of my creatures the items. This idea can remove the risk of giving items to one creature because you cannot erase previous uses - I had a change of mind on some items and now it's just there and doesn't look the way I wanted anymore.

Female
677 posts

amelialightwing • 17 February 2023 at 1:03 AM

@Orderedchaos @Ian

I think this would be a good idea for the collectors on EC so that way when people are trying to do quests they aren't hit with a user shop that is being dedicated to collections and are priced at 99,999,999ec to prevent the item from being sold. People like showing off their esthetic and personally I think this would help.

475 posts

spell • 18 February 2023 at 5:57 AM

Definitely support! Collecting items on creatures is not really the same since it's harder to view all items at once and you have to use up the items which might've cost a lot ^^" Together with "Gallery of the week/month" contests, this could incentivize a lot more players to actually care about items ๐Ÿ˜Š

Female
2,699 posts

jlya • 20 February 2023 at 3:20 PM

Love this idea!! I use my strongroom for collections but no one can see the lovely items โค๏ธ

141 posts

stormwarden • 20 February 2023 at 5:47 PM

i think an item gallery would be lovely! i also have some retired items from past events just collecting dust in my strongroom, so it would be nice to display them somewhere ๐Ÿ˜Š there also seems to be an empty space on our cove profile, which would be perfect for a gallery (to the right of Shop and beneath SARC Fund)

Female
4,845 posts

newlife • 1 March 2023 at 10:08 PM

Totally agree with this! I see a lot of items in user shops at 99m, and they're user collections. It messes with quests, so I think having a way to display your favorite items separate from user shops would be lovely.

Female
435 posts

salanderinlove • 3 March 2023 at 2:26 PM

@Jat I think that's a wonderful idea!

I have OCD, so It's really bothers me all the itens of my collection stay with the itens I want to use or donate for the quests, so I use the shop for this too!

I think a good solution it's put an option to "transform" your shop in gallery, 'cause truly I don't care for quests or sell items but I spend a lot of EC to put more items there.

And if the user wants both, store and gallery? it would be possible to have two "shops" that can be chosen as a shop or gallery, and so the user increases them separately.

About the inventory of items in the creature's profile, I can't even consider that as a gallery. Few will see it and I don't think the distribution of items is cool, the layout isn't adequated for that.

Neopets it's a good example, they have gallery and shop.

Female
2,544 posts

dragrawr • 14 March 2023 at 11:33 PM

absolutely need this idea

I understand the desire for galleries, and I even would like to have one. But while questing it is beyond frustrating to have to refresh after seeing 99,999,999 and if I had a gallery i wouldnโ€™t want it underneath my pretty items. Itโ€™s a great idea. ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•

Female
2,119 posts

cranberrycat1 • 14 March 2023 at 11:33 PM

Please really want this. It is so annoying when questing and an item pops up for 99,999,999 especially when your last minute questing.

Female
1,493 posts

froot • 15 March 2023 at 2:22 AM

i think a display case would be a wonderful and much-needed implement - with items displayed on creatures, there's no choice to remove items and not to mention the sorting by shop feature gets in the way as there's no option to view all the items used at once. items "sold" for a ludicrously high price in shops is also an extremely frustrating thing to face, especially while questing. i think this leads to a lot of anger, frustration and potential conflict among the community that could easily be avoided with a gallery feature.

Female
141 posts

kenkazaki2 • 16 March 2023 at 3:38 PM

Agreed, my soul screams when I come to a shop with a quest item I need and it's 99,999,999 ec laksdfjsdlkjf-
In Neopets we indeed do have item galleries that we can expand with in-game currency much like the cave expansions, haha. Maybe a simular thing can work here~

Female
3,802 posts

sparklefox • 16 March 2023 at 9:00 PM

Trying to do quests only for an item to only be available in one user's "shop" for display is frankly incredibly frustrating. Forcing me to cancel and wait an entire hour over a problem that shouldn't exist... usually multiple times a day now. I'm in full support of this becoming a feature.

Edit to add an opinion to the "don't see them as for sale" point:
Thinking like that doesn't stop the site itself from seeing them in a user shop and assuming they're for sale. As far as I remember, that's why you even get asked to fetch an item in quests - site finds it in any shop or sees that you already own it. That's mainly why people misusing shops to display items for no good reason annoys my overly salty self so much.
TL;DR - I'm salty because I've had to cancel three out of three attempted bakery quests today, and the first (but thankfully not second) book quest attempt.

Gender Nonconforming
1,249 posts

frankenstein • 17 March 2023 at 9:31 PM

Especially now that Quests are important for rereleased creatures as well as the Dailies, I'm almost desperate for showcases. I support this idea 110%

I had to rewrite this several times to not come off like a bitter jerk, but I have some very strong thoughts about people misusing the Shops ยฏ\_(ใƒ„)_/ยฏ I'm at the point where I've even tried blocking a couple of users to see if it'll hide their shops because I'm so frustrated. Conclusion: it doesn't work...

Female
1,285 posts

daisycat • 20 March 2023 at 1:18 AM

Addendum to my previous post:

I used to get frustrated with shops as galleries, but @matcha made a really great point about them.

"It's as if the item isn't there. It wouldn't be for sale anyway."

Users pricing items for display can be viewed as the item simply not being there. If it comes up in your search, just pretend it didn't. It's not for sale anyway. They wouldn't be selling it. It's not like they're actually charging that much.

I understand the frustration, have felt it myself, and that frustration is the reason I removed my gallery a while ago. I didn't want to irritate users the way I felt irritated. But after @/matcha saw my frustration and made that comment, it doesn't bother me anymore. Please know that I do understand how annoying it can be, but if you view it this way, maybe it can help! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Also keep in mind that Egg Cave's main page states "Over 6,500 collectible items". This encourages item collecting, so what's the point of collecting if you can't display some of them? But yes, unfortunately, shops are the most functional way to display items, not the creature item collection route. Creature collections use single-use items and the items are displayed on various pages and you can't rearrange the order. People use shops for collections because they can remove the item if they ever wanted to, the items are all displayed on one page, and they can stock the shop in the order they want the items.

Additional idea:

If galleries are implemented, a "Convert Shop to Gallery" feature would be very helpful for users who are using their shops as display.
(This is what Neopets did when they implemented galleries.)