Relevance of Gender Profiles

in General

Female
54 posts

sunduck • 29 April 2023 at 2:22 PM

I'm curious how many of you pay attention to critters' gender profiles - especially in terms of collecting. I'm still new and learning the site, but I haven't discovered any difference between Male/Female/Non-Binary creatures' art nor does there appear to be a breeding feature. On the other hand, gender swap items can be purchased with CC.

So my question to you becomes:
Do you pay attention to gender profiles? If so, why and how is that important to you?

Personally, if a duplicate creature pops up in The Cave, I won't adopt it unless it is a gender that I do not currently have. I started doing this to curb my 'ALWAYS ADOPT' impulse and then I discovered that creatures have a Gender Profile Percentage. Now I'm out to get each gender per creature.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this post and for discussing this topic with me! Have a lovely day. ❤️

Female
1,744 posts

minnie298a • 29 April 2023 at 7:53 PM

@sunduck
Technically, the genders have no purpose. Like you've observed there is no difference in art, nor can we breed them. Non-binary is fairly new (I want to say it was introduced with in the last year, but am currently not up to scrolling through old blogs to find out). The Gender Profile Percentage was introduced at the same time, so retro fitted to older creatures. It's meant to indicate how often a certain gender will show up. I can't see the relevance in that for creatures that the players can chose the gender of, but may effect random creatures (like in the cave)

However in saying that, the genders can matter deeply and personally to people. They may want all one gender, or want a certain gender based on the art work or another significant factor. For example, my featured creature Weft was influenced by my cat at the time, and so I wanted a female one because she was female. At one point I also collected a male and female of each many species, but mostly abandoned that idea when my cove filled up.

So if I'm commemorating something in particular, I like the gender to follow that. Otherwise it only plays a part in how I name creatures.

475 posts

spell • 30 April 2023 at 3:32 PM

@sunduck
Like @/minnie298a I only care if I'm commemorating someone or something in particular (like getting a creature on somebody's birthday). I don't really mind otherwise!

Female
2,938 posts

heatherm19 • 30 April 2023 at 11:41 PM

@sunduck Besides what's already been said, sometimes limited/rare creatures can be sold for more if they are the rarest gender option. For example, if a creature is Masculine (85% male, 10% female, 5% non-binary) that means the rarest gender will be the non-binary and may be worth more when trading/selling. That's not always the case, though, really depends on the creature.

Other
137 posts

pauloacacio • 6 August 2023 at 7:22 AM

I do prefer the non-binary creatures.

Female
177 posts

pastelrabbit • 10 August 2023 at 9:50 AM

It honestly doesn’t matter for me, but sometimes (depending on the creature) I might prefer female, and when I’m choosing/claiming vend creatures it’s usually non-binary.

Non-binary
1,417 posts

provo7demons • 11 August 2023 at 11:50 PM

I pay attention and will usually choose my names based off the gender. I do prefer nonbinary creatures, but I'll claim whatever from the cave, so it isn't a necessity for me or anything.

Female
1,940 posts

chaotictreat • 12 August 2023 at 7:06 AM

I see each creature's design as a certain gender (for some reason) and I like the creatures I have to match that ahaha
I'm trying to snap myself out of it but like I was really disappointed when I came back after my two-year hiatus and realised my profile creature Mahlah was male, because I'd always seen floicols as feminine and wanted Mahlah to be female too (as if men can't be feminine 😭)

Female
1,127 posts

musical_slytherclaw • 13 August 2023 at 8:29 PM

gender profiles don't always matter that much to me, since you can choose the gender of your csp (unless you pick "surprise me")
it makes me a little happy when I get a cave creature of a rarer gender that I want, or if I'm trying to reference a pet or person. and like minnie said, it does effect how I name my creatures. depending on the creature I will prefer a specific gender, though. ^^;

81 posts

emi804 • 15 September 2023 at 6:59 AM

I don't really care about the gender of creature, it doesn't do much. Some people try to collect creatures of a certain gender though

Non-binary
67 posts

endrolled • 16 October 2023 at 12:26 PM

i like seeing nonbinary creatures because i'm nonbinary! i think the gender profiles are a fun addition to the site overall, but the inclusion of nonbinary options is the best part

Female
388 posts

cryogenics • 23 October 2023 at 5:56 AM

i dont get the non-binary version at all. i find it annoying because it throws that one extra 'roll' for a creature at the cave when you are trying to find something.

Female
318 posts

chat • 31 October 2023 at 10:23 PM

I don't pay any attention to the genders to be honest. I've been playing for 11 years and never really cared; they are just pixels at the end of the day. I ended up giving away a lot of my creatures to close friends on Eggcave or whatever I did with them and stuck with one, Eeks the Eereek, such a good little boy spider. xD