[πŸŽ‘ Lunar New Year / Feb 2024] Creature Suggestion: The Loong [🐲🎍]

in Fan Art & Creature Suggestions

Female
521 posts

sapphire12 • 21 December 2023 at 8:19 PM

Hello again πŸ™‚

2024 is the Year of the Wood Dragon! The element of wood is associated with strength and flexibility- qualities exhibited in none other than bamboo. I pitched the idea of a Bamboo Dragon to our resident dragon lovers @dragrawr and @dragonii and the rest is history!

This creature draws inspiration from both the dragon/giant bamboo plant and the little lucky bamboo gifts you can get.

Credits:
Art: @dragrawr and @dragonii
Description: @sapphire12

🎨 Art for the Loong Creature
https://ibb.co/M93pXCZ - please direct complements to the artists! dragrawr and dragonii

alt link, thanks daisy: https://i.ibb.co/CWTvrHm/Untitled1690-20231221134431.png

πŸ₯š About the Loong Egg
This egg celebrates the Lunar New Year 2024 - the year of the Wood Dragon. The element of Wood is considered strong and flexible - exemplified perfectly by the bamboo plant.

Part egg and part bamboo shoots, Loong eggs sound hollow when you knock on it. Its distinct red ribbon is reminiscent of traditional gifts to bring good luck and good health.

πŸ‰About the Loong Creature:
The Year of the Wood Dragon brings evolution, nourishment and abundance.

Newly hatched Loongs have an unmistakable charm, but tend to keep to themselves at first. As they get older, their dragon traits start to show - highly creative, confident and motivated to drive their vision forward. Fully developed Loongs maintain their sense of humility and diplomacy but are able to command the room with their strong presence - anything to achieve their ideals.

Pings:
@spookyfrog
@isis
@chaotictreat

#creaturesuggestion

Female
1,930 posts

chaotictreat • 21 December 2023 at 8:27 PM

I love it! My brain is absolutely fried so I can't really give proper feedback but it looks great!! And I love the description and the connection to the lunar new year!!
pings:
@daisycat
@ashlinnhi
@redflipflap
@froot
@nut

Female
2,552 posts

dragrawr • 21 December 2023 at 8:42 PM

@sapphire12 glad to have worked with you and @dragonii !! I really liked working on this and I’m glad I was able to make a dragon 😸 πŸ’šπŸ’š

Female
395 posts

redflipflap • 21 December 2023 at 8:42 PM

the egg is so unique😊 everything about it is actually, but im a sucker for non-egg shaped eggs. nice job y'all! ❀️

733 posts

nut • 21 December 2023 at 8:53 PM

loong boi

i can’t open the link, but i support it based on the description 🀝🏼

Female
1,303 posts

daisycat • 21 December 2023 at 8:55 PM

@sapphire12 @dragrawr @dragonii
What a dream team collab! Link did not work for me, so I got the actual image link from the page source:
https://i.ibb.co/CWTvrHm/Untitled1690-20231221134431.png

I LOVE all the shades of green. The baby stage is really adorable, especially with the little leaf sprouting from its head! I do kinda wish the spikes in the other stages were cylindrical on the tips, instead of pointed, just to really emphasize the bamboo theme. But it definitely looks more aesthetic with them sharp!

The description is lovely! Provides a pleasant feeling for the new year. I also really love how they first keep to themselves, and then their creativity and confidence bloom later on. Loongs seem like such likeable creatures.

"The Year of the Wood Dragon brings evolution"
This is nifty because it can double into Egg Cave and creature evolutions.

And I hope it's all right to make a couple corrections!

"It's distinct red ribbon"
Its

"Fully developed Loongs maintain their sense of humility and diplomacy but is able to command the room with their strong presence"
but are able to command (since the subject is plural)

Thank you for the ping, Chaotic!

@matcha

Female
2,552 posts

dragrawr • 21 December 2023 at 9:09 PM

@daisycat I'm so glad you like it!! You know me and my sharp artstyle, the artists can change it if they want im just so used to POINTY >: 3

It really is a dream team XD It was so fun!!

some pings
@redflipflap (oops i didnt see u)
@wonder404exe

Female
2,406 posts

ida92 • 22 December 2023 at 1:56 AM

@sapphire12 Ofcourse I love it! It's a dragon! ❀️

Female
1,572 posts

isis • 22 December 2023 at 3:33 AM

Such a cool looking dragon! Just keep it away from any panda creatures 🫣 I love it, awesome job everybody!!

Female
2,715 posts

jlya • 22 December 2023 at 12:02 PM

@sapphire12
What can I say. I love a dragon creature πŸ˜ƒ The bamboo concept is such a cool idea, I don't think I've seen anything like it on Eggcave. I'd love to see it become a reality! ❀️

Fantastic job on the art by the way ^^

Female
521 posts

sapphire12 • 22 December 2023 at 12:54 PM

@chaotictreat haha yes sorry for pinging you late at night, thank you!

@dragrawr the honour is all mine to have worked with both of you. I'm so happy you liked the idea and the final product really didn't change much from the original sketch huh?

What I particularly love about working with artists that love a specific type of creature is I can tell you've taken a lot of time understanding the anatomy and movements of them! So even a rough sketch/first draft turns out amazing ❀️

@redflipflap I too love the egg! a fully @/dragrawr idea mind you

@nut loong boi indeed - thanks nutters! (lmfao) alt link has been provided if you want to take a peek, or it's on the discord 😊

@daisycat thank you so so much for the wonderful feedback daisy! You always have a kind word to say and really take in all the detail of the creature suggestions - I too love the little sprouts on the head (courtesy of @/dragrawr, again lol)

And yes of course thanks for catching that! Updated πŸ˜ƒ

@ida92 @jlya I know we have several dragon lovers here and I'm so happy you like the Loong ❀️ Credit for the art is 100% due to @/dragrawr and @/dragonii as they really brought the Loong to life !

@isis maybe the Pandaran and the Loong can actually be friends, haha - a symbiotic relationship because the Loong's bamboo horns keep growing and /somebody/ needs to take care of it

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Appreciate them all immensely.

Female
927 posts

shirothekittehlover • 22 December 2023 at 1:58 PM

@sapphire12 @dragonii @dragrawr
YOOOOOO, very nice creature suggestion you guys got there! : DD
I love how you guys used bamboo for the concept ^^
Love the art too btw :]

Pingo schmingos:
@wonder404exe
@dibabeebees

Female
1,731 posts

lexicon • 22 December 2023 at 2:02 PM

@sapphire12 @dragrawr @dragonii

*screams at the top of my lungs from the rooftops of Ark* DRAGGGONNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no notes. i love american dragon jake loong, he is perfect

Gender Nonconforming
225 posts

dibabeebees • 22 December 2023 at 3:00 PM

long boy

Male
3 posts

yousha • 22 December 2023 at 3:48 PM

I love the bamboo egg it's really unique with the tail poking out. I also like the horns on the last stage that look like bamboo shoots.

Female
521 posts

sapphire12 • 23 December 2023 at 7:34 AM

@shirothekittehlover @yousha thank you!

@dibabeebees long boy indeed

@lexicon I'm the J to the A to the K to the E

Female
2,552 posts

dragrawr • 23 December 2023 at 5:49 PM

@dibabeebees l o o n g boy

@yousha I liked making the egg a lot! Just a buncha bamboo 😸

@shirothekittehlover ❀️ ❀️

@lexicon DRAGON.

@isis dragons my beloveds ❀️

@jlya YIPPEE DRAGONS!! lets see how many dragon like suggestions I can sneak past Ian

1,558 posts

dragonii • 23 December 2023 at 10:40 PM

@sapphire12 @dragrawr everything about this is fantastic!! Thank you guys so much for letting me join in making this creature suggestion!

321 posts

chihiro_sang • 24 December 2023 at 12:03 AM

It's a cute idea on an update for the new year's dragon, but the chiye is kind of similar and was the New year's dragon when it came out.

Female
2,552 posts

dragrawr • 24 December 2023 at 12:22 AM

@chihiro_sang that’s probably because it’s a Loong, which is an eastern dragon and they all look fairly similar according to cultures ^^ Chiye is pretty old so I think it should be fine :0 πŸ’šπŸ’š

Female
1,575 posts

sorrow • 24 December 2023 at 12:47 AM

@sapphire12

i cannot stress how much i love that it isn't another gold/orange/red lunar new year creature! i understand the importance of those colors but this guy is so refreshing!

59 posts

mars • 24 December 2023 at 12:31 PM

@chihiro_sang Thank you! I think the Chiye is a January 1st new year dragon while this one is a Lunar New Year dragon (February) - hopefully that's different enough!

@sorrow So glad to hear it! Eggcave does have a couple of predictable themes, a change every now and again would definitely be good πŸ‘

Edit: sorry i forgot i was on my side acc lol

Female
2,216 posts

ashlinnhi • 25 December 2023 at 8:24 AM

@sapphire12 i LOVE IT!!! so good to have another ιΎ™-type creature and i agree with others, the bamboo egg is Awesome. i love love the themes associated with bamboo as well, it's such an awesome plant ❀️

amazing job to @dragonii and @dragrawr on the art, it looks beautiful ❀️

181 posts

noman15 • 25 December 2023 at 1:56 PM

It's a cute idea, the last time it was the year of the dragon there were 3 cash shop dragons.

Female
521 posts

sapphire12 • 28 December 2023 at 8:13 PM

didnt realise i never ended up replying to these, must have replied in my brain lol

@ashlinnhi yeah! I saw it was the Wood Dragon this year and I didn't want to be stuck with a brown wood dragon like a carving (though tbh thats also not bad) so I thought we could do something a bit more.. creative and not dead lol

@noman15 oh wow! So that's what that was - when it was literally just dragons. I didn't realise !

Female
177 posts

pastelrabbit • 29 December 2023 at 8:47 AM

Omg I love the idea of a bamboo wood dragon! The second stage is absolutely adorable! πŸ’• I love the description for this creature too!

Female
2,552 posts

dragrawr • 29 December 2023 at 4:25 PM

@sorrow I checked with my Viet friend and they said it was exactly like the gigs they give during their cultural celebrations of the new year !! I was super happy about that ^^ πŸ–€

@ashlinnhi thank you so much ;w; πŸ–€πŸ–€πŸ–€

@noman15 really 0.o I love dragons sm so I’m excited ><

@pastelrabbit I’m glad you like the second stage !! The third stage took us a while to decide on lawl but the second was unanimous ! X3 I loved giving it a sprout

181 posts

noman15 • 29 December 2023 at 9:16 PM

@dragrawr yeah, that year it was the flar, draqua, and ahjoon.

Female
2,552 posts

dragrawr • 29 December 2023 at 9:20 PM

@noman15 oh I see !! Some of my top dreamies. Wonderful πŸ˜»πŸ˜»πŸ’•πŸ’•