New Version 3 Egg Cave

in General

Do you like it?

Female
1,395 posts

iris1929578 • 24 April 2017 at 6:55 PM

Hi! How much do you like Version 3? I think it's great, but I'll still be new to the new layout and not find my way to things quickly like I used to.

49 posts

ryu28000 • 24 April 2017 at 6:58 PM

It's ok. Not that I mean it in a bad way though; I was accustomed to the old layout when I had my other account here.

But so far it is good though, a new look that probably was long overdue but a lot of work was put into this so..yeah, I think I am gonna like it more as time goes by.

5 posts

cchimp123 • 24 April 2017 at 7:03 PM

I like the site but the mobile layout needs work.

19 posts

uzag • 24 April 2017 at 7:08 PM

I sadly had to vote "No".
I really like the system in general, it's much more organized now.
But, at least with my screen resolution, everything looks giant and crammed. I find it extreamly aesthetically unattractive and I have to scroll, scroll, scroll because of the text size. The text size even outweights the pet images and just... no :/

Demiboy
2,368 posts

ethereality • 24 April 2017 at 7:09 PM

Eartha is in CSP! yay everybody go buy em lol

Male
2,762 posts

fakeworld • 24 April 2017 at 7:17 PM

I love it honestly. Way before V3 was announced I was hoping we could get a revamp. This is only the beginning and from what I have seen, we all as a community have a say so on what's happening and what should happen with this new version and on the site in general, so those who are stressing: Things could change. We just have to be patient lol, most of what was on version 2 wasn't there when it was first released.

Female
2,491 posts

leafmelody • 24 April 2017 at 7:19 PM

I'm tryina get used to it πŸ˜‹ It literally took me a few minutes to find out where the forums were cause usually there's the livepulse then the forums XD

Male
660 posts

veritaspunk • 24 April 2017 at 7:34 PM

@fakeworld

I just hope it doesn't get sorted out, then it's announced that v4 is being worked on 😱

@iris1929578- I'm still processing this all so my vote is πŸ˜‹ending: gotta say though I get a much more windows 98/90's feel than "updated" 2017 refinement it does seem bulky and more "in your face" ... but we'll see I'll give it through the summer and ultimately finalize my sentiment by Halloween Fair time unles things get too chaotic but I'm trying to think constructively πŸ˜‰

One thing though the creature image on the right in the profile will be a daily annoyance ... and green a very abrasive "in your face" for an UI experience ;(

I'm most hopeful for customization options 😊

Female
1,188 posts

gymnastics001 • 24 April 2017 at 7:56 PM

I like feeding MUCH better, but I am getting confused where everything is. XD I guess I just have to get used to it. I've been waiting all day for it to finish loading πŸ˜‹ The cave goes a little slower for me, but otherwise I really don't have an opinion. I like both version 3 and 2 the same. (Except for feeding) I think the site looks newer though, which is always nice.

Female
1,395 posts

iris1929578 • 24 April 2017 at 8:02 PM

Now, I can find my way better πŸ˜‹ to me, it is all in the same spot except games I sometimes get comfused if fourms is in games or social

Deleted • 24 April 2017 at 8:02 PM

Im mostly a mobile user. Mobile sucks. I will not be coming onto EggCave until its worked on a little more. Other wise, its just Egg Cave. The new layout is okay, will take time to get used to but its needed for new coding and what not.

Female
1,395 posts

iris1929578 • 24 April 2017 at 8:06 PM

It looks cool, but there are some features I don't Egg-zactly (bad pun) like no offense to Ian and other staff members

Male
660 posts

brad • 24 April 2017 at 8:11 PM

@lilminxy_ What if you "Request desktop site"? It's a little weird for me if you don't, but if I do that everything is great.

But yeah, I'm super excited for the update. I'm sure it's going to bring many cool updates to us in the future too. Right now it's a little unfamiliar. It doesn't feel like eggcave yet, but I'm sure it'll get there with some play time. I played on the test site so much this still doesn't feel like the "real" eggcave, haha.

Female
1,034 posts

momokie • 24 April 2017 at 8:17 PM

@o_o @lilminxy_ @iris1929578

I put alot of my feelings in the blog post but honestly, everything is too big, too much white space, I miss 5 to a row, I miss underscores being at the bottom of the cove, I miss left side creature profile, I miss time stamps on our statuses and stuff, mobile is AWFUL to navigate honestly, I dont like scrolling on profiles, My wall posts take up SO MUCH space unnecessarily..

Female
1,422 posts

rashka • 24 April 2017 at 8:23 PM

One thing that i really don't like about the new version is the way they put the creatures now, before the - was in first and the _ was in very last, now the _ is first then the - then numbers and letter for last.

so now my cove is all messed up, i used _ with some names i want to keep but wanted to put down the cove they are now the first we see! ☹️

should i do a ticket for it???

Female
1,034 posts

momokie • 24 April 2017 at 8:24 PM

@rashka I agree this is soooo annoying, a lot of my organization is thrown off by this :c

Female
692 posts

pendulum • 24 April 2017 at 8:26 PM

For someone that has been through all the versions, I think it is more aesthetically pleasing, at least on my 17" laptop. πŸ˜‹ I like that feeding is a little bit more seamless and a little faster. πŸ˜ƒ

Female
1,422 posts

rashka • 24 April 2017 at 8:32 PM

@momokie we could do tickets to say this and they might be changing it

and one more thing i don't likle is the 4 in rows instead of 5, i know many people worked to get multiples of 5 creatures to be able to fit the screen but this too is all messed up!

Male
660 posts

brad • 24 April 2017 at 8:37 PM

@momokie Wait... THEY REMOVED THE TIME STAMPS ON STATUSES? I had like a 3 year old status! D:
But really... it seems kinda weird to not have a time stamp. So many people have things like "Today's my birthday!" and other time-dependent things. That's something that should definitely be there, in my opinion.
I also agree on the white space and everything being too big. I can see like 5 notifications on my entire screen on the notification page. Kinda crazy. I'm tying to get used to it though and give it a chance without complaining too much.

Male
472 posts

lucas • 24 April 2017 at 8:56 PM

Um, to those complaining about everything being too big: try ctrl + -. Makes everything smaller, might help 😊

Anyway, I love everything. Do not be boring, ranting conservatives people and embrace the new. Obviously suggestions and bug reports (like the mobile issue and the time stamps - which I couldn't really care less for, but seems like everyone loved them LOL -) are a-okay, but just being mean and ranting for the sake of it just because you can't wait for them to fix the eventual bugs is completly not okay. Give time to time, and I bet that the new coming features (that were impossible to add before due to V2's old coding) will blow everyone's mind!

Anyway, time to explore the new version! Woop woop!

Female
416 posts

icedmagma • 24 April 2017 at 9:12 PM

I absolutely love it (although the cave attempts take a little longer for me now, but I can deal with that)M my only question is about the one way transfers; I can't seem to find the option for it anymore-can someone point me in the right direction? πŸ˜‹

49 posts

ryu28000 • 24 April 2017 at 9:13 PM

It is to be expected that when a new version is uploaded that there will be hiccups so as time goes by there will be refinements.

Also..I do not understand the complaining about the number of critters in a row on the cove list or the spacing. Why is this such a big deal? To be honest I didn't even notice.

The only thing I'd like to see under the explore tab is a link to go directly to the adoption center but even at that it is ok if it isn't there.

So far I am liking the changes, the feeding takes less time even though I do miss the different food images and the pet comments accompanying it but..whatev's. A lot of work was put into the revision and maybe this aspect should be acknowledged.

Oh..umm..a adding a word-wrap feature to the text boxes here on the forum might be helpful at some point but not a priority really.

Thanks again for all the hard work.

Male
660 posts

brad • 24 April 2017 at 9:16 PM

I knew the livepulse was not it's own page anymore... but thought it would at least be live. :/
Sucks having to refresh every time. Or am I possibly missing something? @Ian

Female
1,395 posts

iris1929578 • 24 April 2017 at 9:27 PM

☹️ I miss the old egg cave

Deleted • 24 April 2017 at 9:31 PM

@o_o

I dont understand what you mean by, request desktop site. I dont see that anywhere while using my phone.

Male
660 posts

brad • 24 April 2017 at 9:35 PM

@lilminxy_ I don't know what type of phone you have or what browser you're using.
For me, android and chrome, all I have to do is tap the 3 dots at the option is there.

Just google whatever you're using and request desktop site. It'll be there.

Deleted • 24 April 2017 at 9:43 PM

Yeah, thats not an option for me because I dont have an andriod and its not listed on the website. I have an iphone and the default browser, Safari, doesnt do that type of thing.. If it was an option on the website I could do that.

Male
660 posts

veritaspunk • 24 April 2017 at 10:06 PM

@momokie I think the time should be switched with the friend/notification/mail icons, I agree entirely with your post, and what about the likes feature and live/approximated countdowns on auctions ? ☹️

@iris1929578 This may have up to date bells and whistles, but v2 had immense depth with everything laid out where it didn't throw my OCD bonkers and it was simple navigating to get where you had to go .. I might consider that carpal tunnel surgery the doctor was talking about with all this scrolling ... maybe an extra trip to the optometrist too /half joking and scrolling mouse while I'm at it ...

3,399 posts

bun • 24 April 2017 at 10:11 PM

@lilminxy_
It should do that, go to the little box with the arrow through it in the bottom right, click it, then scroll through the bottom most options until you see an icon that says "request desktop site." I've tried it though and it doesn't seem to work, for some reason. ;; o ;;

––

Hopefully version 3 will grow on me, but I'll be quite honest, I'm not liking the layout one bit.... and I may have stronger feelings than 'one bit.' The new functions are fantastic and the ones I don't like yet I think I'll grow to tolerate, but as someone who's taken graphic design and has a fair amount of knowledge in that area, most of the site is just... bad. Wall posts are too bulky and spaced apart, the creatures in tabs and items in shops have too much white space between them (while the creatures in the archives are much too close), text font is too large, a lot of transparencies aren't too aesthetically pleasing, the user interface on user profiles seems long and empty, the little boxes for each creature on the 'your creatures' page are too long and cause unnecessary scrolling, the left side of the screen (with the white page, where you're scrolling through) is boxed in by the dark sidebar and upper banner; I could go on and go.

Rip eggcave v2, I'll miss you.

EDIT: Also why are words being wrapped around forum posts instead of being cut off at a full word when there isn't space left? wot

EDIT 2: Also I'm /really/ salty that my user profile with the block letters doesn't work anymore. > : (

Female
1,395 posts

iris1929578 • 24 April 2017 at 10:13 PM

It doesnt pop up on my screen when I have a notification ☹️ I miss that so much