New Version 3 Egg Cave

in General

Do you like it?

Female
2,873 posts

mairbear • 24 April 2017 at 10:26 PM

So... I appreciate all the work that has gone into making v3. I believe that this was built from the ground up so that's very amazing. And with all the coding being new and fresh, hopefully it's easy to tweak and finesse. My two biggest annoyances at the moment are:

1) I'm finding the layout much too large. There is a lot of empty space to scroll through.
2) There are way too many pop up dialogue boxes. For example, if I already have to verify that I'm deleting a comment on my wall... why do I need another box after the page reloads telling me the deletion happened?

I hope that there will be continued streamlining of the layout and and improved functionality of the website.

Edit: One more thing! I've mentioned this before, but I don't understand why our status updates have lost the time stamp..... what's the point of a status update if there's no time stamp attached??

3,399 posts

bun • 24 April 2017 at 10:45 PM

Oh my goodness I've just wandered around the site some more and I completely concur with @mairbear, why are there so many pop up boxes? It's honestly the most annoying thing.

Also, who decided it was a good idea to get rid of the town hall? I don't see the added benefit, it's just really annoying and a pain to change names.

Male
660 posts

veritaspunk • 24 April 2017 at 10:50 PM

@_black3333_ Maybe the new coding won't permit us to have a Town Hall except like this ? Otherwise ...Why fix something that isn't broke 😋

Female
762 posts

thursdays_dove • 24 April 2017 at 10:58 PM

@_black333_ - Yeah, and when you go to rename a creature from your Cove, a dialogue pops up that says: "Rename your creature at the Town Hall for 1,000 EC."

...All right, then what's the point? >>

Male
38 posts

bigdust • 24 April 2017 at 11:10 PM

I am not liking all the notifications! Seems like there are pop-ups all over the place.

Female
1,034 posts

momokie • 24 April 2017 at 11:12 PM

@veritaspunk @_black3333_

Idk why it has to have our genders listed in the forums as well... I miss having a spot for the Adoption Center as well 😱 And the "_" is now listed at the top of the cove instead of the bottom D:

Male
660 posts

veritaspunk • 24 April 2017 at 11:23 PM

@momokie ... I want our status messages back ☚ī¸, It added character and flare/nuance 😊 but of course our gender remains on blast hmmm

the new interpretation of _ That"s going to be very annoying as I try to implement my Sparktail collection ☚ī¸

Deleted • 24 April 2017 at 11:29 PM

ITS SO ANNOYING!!! ☚ī¸
-It doesn't notify me for Notifications!
-The layout feels strange!
-I CAN'T FIND WHAT I LOOK FOR!!!
(Took me 15 mins to find Strongroom)

Pangender
2,149 posts

sky • 24 April 2017 at 11:30 PM

@momokie @veritaspunk

I can understand why they've included genders on the forums. I've seen conflicts among other websites where often at most if you referred to someone as the wrong pronouns they will not take it lightly and resulted in conflicts among the user base. Some people don't like to be assumed of their gender, and i see it as a good way to avoid that sort of conflict.

Male
660 posts

veritaspunk • 24 April 2017 at 11:36 PM

@sky .. but why couldn't the status message co-exist with the gender on the forum posts ? It seems kinda generic without the symbol but I suppose getting into symbols for all gender labels is too impractical at this time at least.

Deleted • 24 April 2017 at 11:36 PM

@_black3333_

It doesnt work.. so im not using mobile.

343 posts

solnyshko • 24 April 2017 at 11:40 PM

The mobile version isn't quite friendly as what I thought it would be. Everything is cramped, and you really have to scroll down, down, down when looking at your profile.
Also what happened with the popup thing whenever you have a new notif? ;; it's a hassle (for me) to refresh the page every time to see if I have a new notif ...

or maybe it's because I'm so lost rn that I don't know how things work in this new version lol.
Anyway, I'm just glad the site is up and running again.

49 posts

gatheringrosesinsnow • 24 April 2017 at 11:40 PM

Perhaps it's my browser but there's far too much white space. I do prefer a compact site, so having to scroll half a mile down the page annoys me.
Bouncing over to the forums after logging in and I'm forced to log-in again, proving that the site is treating www, and no www as two different sites requiring two different logins which doesn't make me any less happy about the change.

Javascript is on, but there are NO navigation tabs or information (I had to find the forums from stored links)

The new cave is the worse for me though, the eggs display DOWN the middle of the cave image (previously they would show up under the image ( IF the browser didn't display the whirling loading image) and more irritatingly the last two eggs are partly obscured under the 'adopt' button. (Oh and I'm not adopting from a side so why do I need a big orange IN YOUR FACE slap when all the colour has been stripped from everything else?)
And having found something new in the cave, I want to expand my cove and I'm getting a 404 error. (oh there's the account info - down the bottom of the page ☚ī¸ Wondering now if the hidden setting actually still works or not ☚ī¸ )

Male
660 posts

veritaspunk • 24 April 2017 at 11:49 PM

@carnesiel @gatheringrosesinsnow It's been so entrenching trying to navigate everything I've forgotten about the cave especially without those notices popping up.

Female
167 posts

thaliel • 24 April 2017 at 11:50 PM

*sniff* I had made sure to log in every day to get my 3000EC reward, and now I am back to 100, hacving to "work" my way back to 3000 *sighs*
Other than that, everything looks and feels very nice

Female
9,263 posts

immortalraven • 24 April 2017 at 11:58 PM

Things I like:
- That it is easier for eggcave to implement new things.
- I like the new lower stat boost in the cash shop.
- I like the cove health thing.
- I like the creature and item selector.
- Feeding from accounts than by IP.
- Higher chance to get something in thief shop.
- Character limits.
- Click exchange reset at 12 a.m.
- Cove lists
-Not sure if a bug but love cause pop up notifications on the side always made me sick if I got a ton at once. Like that it only has the icon light up and say how many notifications we have.

Things that are all right / not a big deal with or without:
- New layout [got used to it; while I wish it were a bit smaller still I will survive lol]
- Higher chance in the oasis. [They're free so I think they should be a little harder to find in there but oh well at least I might find a Bunthoff now lol]
- Click exchange allowing 2o critters in instead of 1o.
- Site trivia
- I actually like the extra white space between critters though wish it were 5 in a row not 4.

Things I don't like at all:
- Creature stats. I am /DEATHLY/ afraid to over evolve the critters that need views to evolve.
- All the pop ups.
- No town hall but renaming in the your cove.
- Creature not leaving our cove until it is adopted for the adoption center. The whole point is to make room sometimes and could take awhile if for that and we still have to pay for it even though we need room right that second and with cove expansions costing so much for me that really sucks ;-; I mean really on all my coves when I go to expand they make me wanna literally cry lol >.>
-The words get chopped off and part goes in the same line then part on the 2nd line. >.<
-Mobile is so difficult on here.
-No livepulse
-Critters with their name starting with _ being at the top. Only reason I names em that on version 2 was for them to be on the bottom and I feel it's not as nice looking with them on top now.
- Being 4 critters in a row than 5 in a row in coves.
[Some of these I can learn to live with. Like renaming and how many critters in a row but the view stats I don't think I will ever get used to again. Things used to over evolve on me all the time when I first started eggcave since views were like that then too and I know we can revert the stages now but that gets expecsive or what if it just over evovled again after it was reverted ;-;]

Female
311 posts

quetzalcoatl • 25 April 2017 at 12:13 AM

@mairbear

I agree!

The extreme spacious feel of the site layout is strange to me..... It seems unnecessary.

Andddd the cove.... why 4 creatures a row now instead of 5... PLEASE. It is not visually appealing with the extra space between the creatures and cutting down to 4 per row. Ugh. RIP my beautiful cove... :/ . Now my cove is a hot mess due to this. Not a fan.

Also, not sure why it is so wonky to move creatures around in the cove lists but it isnt working for me .. at all. So not sure if that is a glitch or what. Any one else struggling with this??

Where are the icons to message people on their profiles? Am I missing them? Because they are no longer by the friend request icons at the top..... These are kinda needed and were handy... If they got nuked, that was a poor choice :/

Mobile version in general is confusing.... im overwhelmed by it

@immortalraven ---- - "Creature stats. I am /DEATHLY/ afraid to over evolve the critters that need views to evolve." ---- YES AGREE. Why did this change even happen?! .....bad move. I like to know when my creatures get views so ya know... i can freeze when needed; so they wont over evolve. Now must wait till midnight to know the number of views? no good ☚ī¸

278 posts

birdboysplace • 25 April 2017 at 12:16 AM

I am on hiatus at the moment but came to take a look.. I am not at all fond of it at all. When someone write s on my wall, I am not getting a notification of that. The only way I can know if someone has written me a note or has made me an offer is to go to the page & refresh it. There is no longer a timer at the cave, you have to refresh to see when your next steal is. If you look at your items, it no longer tells you if they are rare or what ever. Things are not as smooth as they were before and seem to be more difficult to get to & use. I also hate all the popups!! I know that this is only the first day but once I come back full time, I will try it further but right now, I am just not wanting it at all. Its just not something that I want to come back to. Sorry, I know the Egg Cave Team put so much work into this and I am not meaning this to be an insult but it just does not seem user friendly to me.

Female
220 posts

iridescence • 25 April 2017 at 12:17 AM

I definitely agree with @mairbear and @_Black3333_
Hate to say it but this layout is way too large...Plus, what is the deal with having only 4 creatures per row in the profile? Would be nice to change that, as there is TOO much white space between the critters imo. plus Im a little frustrated with @oceanarium, which I worked rather hard to organize.....

Also kinda miss the separate trade centers....Feel like putting them together is just making everything clumped and messy. Plus...When its just one critter in a lot, it definitely feels like theres a major surplus of white space.

Plus...While Im a little grateful that there are no "verification numbers" one needs to type in to purchase things now, those recaptcha boxes are a awful reminder of the mess that is now Neopets. (I.E needing to verify on Every. Darn. Page. ) I really hope it doesn't get to that...

By the way, Polls dont seem to be working for me~ Getting blank error pages~

Male
38 posts

bigdust • 25 April 2017 at 12:38 AM

I have to say that I agree with @birdboysplace . Changes can sometime be for the best but I am just not sure that a lot of the changes that were made here were, Just too many things that were once nice are now gone and replaced with ones that are annoying. A lot of the new things, I just don't want to deal with.

19 posts

uzag • 25 April 2017 at 3:01 AM

(Since it was suggested as a solution for the layout being large, the issue with "ctrl + - / scroll" is that it will size down images too. Being an image based site, I don't find this very usable. Hoping for a text size option later on if nothing else 😊 )

Female
173 posts

cartel • 25 April 2017 at 3:44 AM

there's definitely some serious overkill happening with all the confirmation pop-ups (seriously there are SO MANY OF THEM) and I'm disappointed to see that the 140 character limit on news comments etc hasn't been scrapped. :/
I'm not a fan of the new captcha system for shops, either. Or genders being displayed on the forums under UNs instead of statuses.

Female
558 posts

telekinec • 25 April 2017 at 8:38 AM

It takes some getting used to, but EggCave has really changed from when I was a newcomer here. I like the new layout and I'm sure things will get easier as time passes 😊

Non-binary
1,218 posts

degong • 25 April 2017 at 5:32 PM

I agree with the whole 5 per row thing. Yes, it does look better, but mostly I'm a little miffed at the fact that feeding is going to take even more scrolling Five rows and four columns are just easier to feed. Yes, I am quite an active feeder, and I'm going to represent all other hardcore feeders out there. 😉
The feeding button is going to take a little bit of getting used to; habit, you know. But all and all, I like the changes and how the actual feeding part (loading) is much faster.

However, one thing that annoys so much is the constant refreshing. Dx I hate having to refresh every time I delete a comment, post a comment, vote in a poll, steal an egg, etc. Uuuugh. If it's a necessity, then I suppose I'll have to deal with it. But if it's on purpose, then... *cough cough*

Love the new one-way transfer system. Aaaah! I'm going to transfer all my Puffups to my hoard account now. 😉 The new trading/auction system is really nice, though having only 15 newest trades with both items and creatures is a little, well, iffy. 😋
It's great that trading Cavecash is now secure with the trading system, because even though most everyone here is trustworthy, I just... I just feel safer and that's what matters, I think. xD

If anything, I spent the majority of my time on Eggcave stalking the livepulse... heh. ;u; And now that's it at the bottom of the fourms, well... it's just too much scrolling, you know? I would love a return of the livepulse on a separate page.

If I would only want one thing from V2 to come into V3, it would be having our notifications show up at the top right-hand corner. It was easier to see if I had a notification, and now it's just annoying to look up at the small bell icon.

I love the new search options for our coves. It's so much easier to search for creatures than having to scroll for fifty years. ;n; I am missing the "sort by creatures" option, though...

Female
2,301 posts

lykhaos117 • 25 April 2017 at 7:29 PM

@immortalraven
@daisy1664

I'm not sure if it's just me, but it doesn't seem like view evolution has changed that much from V2. My cove (as in since the V3 update) is tracking views per day and evolving creatures shortly after they have the number of views necessary to evolve, but it doesn't happen immediately. It's usually around 5 minutes after the necessary amount unless I recache creature images. The same goes for immortalization.

So I don't think we have to worry about creatures overevolving? I hope not... >_< But things seem to be going well with my view creatures so far. I've had two views-preferred creatures evolve since V3, and I didn't have to wait till midnight for either of them. 😊

Female
103 posts

eggcaver666 • 25 April 2017 at 11:04 PM

The developer(s) could definitely improve on this. Like seriously I miss how V2 is just so simple and easy. I had to find the cave/PM/Inventory etc for like 10 mins. I like how your can auction items now but it's a 5/10 for this v3.

Female
1,395 posts

iris1929578 • 25 April 2017 at 11:20 PM

☚ī¸ I don't really care about over evolving, but I liked the sort by type ☚ī¸ I hope v5 is better.

Suggestions:
Sort by type again! So useful
5 in a row, but keep the feeding (it's so cool)
Better chances in the mysterious asteroid (so hard to get ANYTHING)
Pinging again (so useful ☚ī¸ )
Capital letters on the front of the site trivia answers (I got a lot right, but sadly they were capitalized ☚ī¸ I don't get the EC from that @Ian @orderedchaos
Maybe if team members accept it, we could make links to places other than Egg Cave because I'm always on iPad and I can't copy + paste.
I can't find some stuff HELP! Live pulse it at the bottom PS

Agender
136 posts

asbe • 29 April 2017 at 3:22 AM

I don't like it that much, I just know it could be worse ^^
Honestly, I started to lose interest. There's too much clicking in v3, too much scrolling, pages are lagging, no timer in the Cave, no click counter at the Click Exchange anymore, and somehow I still didn't notice increased chance at the Oasis and Thief Shop.
Auctions are... weird. What, now I have to bid on unwanted egg just because it's auctioned together with the one I want? Oh well, at least I can put something silly in the title when auctioning myself.

Female
1,395 posts

iris1929578 • 18 May 2017 at 10:43 PM

Wow, the archives just changed so much O.O its so big so much white so much scrolling ☚ī¸